Author Topic: TMK ADB to USB keyboard converter  (Read 676090 times)

Offline mougrim

Re: ADB to USB keyboard converter
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 15:30:22 »
I don't remember. Just check its schematic yourself.

OK. When I'll check it, I'll write if it's true :) I just hope I won't need to edit config... even if it's seems pretty easy.

P.S. Thank you for a great work.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 16:44:16 »
So I've got my teensy all soldered up, I ran the test program that makes the LED blink rapidly, and I'm ready to download the code. One problem: How do I do that? I can't seem to find a definitive "download here" button on the github page. I'm completely new to this, so if someone could make/find a video of someone downloading the code and uploading it to their teensy, I would be forever in their debt.
Oh, and I'm converting an M0116, if that's important.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 19:20:34 »
So I've got my teensy all soldered up, I ran the test program that makes the LED blink rapidly, and I'm ready to download the code. One problem: How do I do that? I can't seem to find a definitive "download here" button on the github page. I'm completely new to this, so if someone could make/find a video of someone downloading the code and uploading it to their teensy, I would be forever in their debt.

You'll need to compile the code on your own to get a .hex file. If you need a .hex file to load onto your Teensy I can try to look for mine but no guarantees.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #353 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 20:05:40 »

You'll need to compile the code on your own to get a .hex file. If you need a .hex file to load onto your Teensy I can try to look for mine but no guarantees.

I'd like to try doing that myself, but I don't know where to start or how :/

Offline mougrim

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 02:07:39 »

I think this link is a beginning:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/gcc.html
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #355 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 03:03:38 »
Also, if anyone wants to use Arduino Leonardo, I found this pinout...

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #356 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 03:07:57 »

I think this link is a beginning:

On second thought, if someone could find me the required code, that would be nice :P

Offline mougrim

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 10:02:23 »
OK, I flashed my Arduino Leonardo, and got ADB Keyboard converter in my devices (and keyboard with correct vid and pid), so I assume flash was OK... Tried to connect my AEKII with wires and pins to controller, and got nothing. Well... I suppose I'll try to do some soldering inside. And I guess Leonardo doesn't have any internal pull-out, so I'll get this 1 kohm resistor...

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #358 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 13:53:02 »

Click to see video.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 21:00:32 »

Click to see video.
Show Image

Is this being done in git shell?
Also, I'm confused what happens after the git clone has been made, when I type in $ cd and press enter after that step nothing happens
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 21:07:45 by mr.squishy »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #360 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 02:15:32 »
It is just bash.

Ah, maybe confusing. It is bash completion, I was pressing 'Ctrl-i' to get directory listing, not 'Enter'.
Video is not always useful, reading text is more clear in some situation.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/README.md
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/build.md

Offline mougrim

« Reply #361 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 03:52:55 »

Click to see video.
Show Image

Is this being done in git shell?
Also, I'm confused what happens after the git clone has been made, when I type in $ cd and press enter after that step nothing happens

You can go there https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard

And download zip-file with all project.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #362 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:21:20 »
Yes! It's alive! Thank you, Hasu.

Now I'm just need to solder my makeshift mock-up contraption together :)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #363 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 12:34:46 »
I have a question. I have AEKII with AZERTY layout, and on this keyboard I have two buttons producing "\" symbol, first left of "1" button and producing scancode 226, and second right of " button, with scancode 220. Can I use one of them as fn button? And If I can, could anyone explaine, how?

UPDATE. I SHOULD have read all readme files first :) Got the second layer setted up with no problems (almost).

Again, thank you, hasu.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 January 2015, 11:58:25 by mougrim »

Offline mougrim

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 12:16:13 »
Oh, when I tried to upload new hex file to my Arduino Leonardo, there were some troubles - i discovered that hasu's firmware, despite being great, caused arduino's serial port to conplete vanish from the system, so I had no way to upload newly conpiled hex-file (so I thought), but I found solution eventually. Here it is:

I reset the board so that the arduino bootloader appeared as a com port in my Device manager

I set the arduino IDE to use the port that appeared for the bootloader (by editing settings file)

I uploaded a simple sketch (led blinking) and pressed reset during the "upload phase" so that the port appeared during the upload

The upload completed successfully and the arduino was back in the com port list - after that I uploaded hex file successfully with Arduino Builder

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 17:16:29 »
Glad to hear it works for you!

Leonardo and its variants like pro micro uses software serial(USB CDC) unlike other normal Arduino's. If you use firmware makde by other than Arduino IDE you'll lose the serial connection during firmware is running. The software serial depends on fact that you are using Arduino library.

Meanwhile its bootloader can offer software serial line for flashing firmware. You can start bootloader by pressing reset button on the board whenever you like. Note that after 8 seconds the bootloader disappears and firmware starts automatically.

With Arduino firmware you can start bootloader from Arduino IDE without pressing reset button, Arduino IDE sends sepecial signal upon the serial line. With tmk firmware it is not useful to use Arduino IDE to flash firmware, use avrdude instead, or other tools.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #366 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 17:29:13 »
I'm still stuck :/

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #367 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 17:56:30 »
Go for it!

Or buy Griffin iMate to save your time. It is really a good option seriously.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #368 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 00:39:28 »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By-yXJDisUbyTTFKUW1Scl9TUVE/view?usp=sharing

For what it's worth, here's my attempt at compiling and the resultant .hex file.  I hope this will help someone out.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline mougrim

« Reply #369 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 01:45:52 »
Glad to hear it works for you!

Leonardo and its variants like pro micro uses software serial(USB CDC) unlike other normal Arduino's. If you use firmware makde by other than Arduino IDE you'll lose the serial connection during firmware is running. The software serial depends on fact that you are using Arduino library.

Meanwhile its bootloader can offer software serial line for flashing firmware. You can start bootloader by pressing reset button on the board whenever you like. Note that after 8 seconds the bootloader disappears and firmware starts automatically.

With Arduino firmware you can start bootloader from Arduino IDE without pressing reset button, Arduino IDE sends sepecial signal upon the serial line. With tmk firmware it is not useful to use Arduino IDE to flash firmware, use avrdude instead, or other tools.

Thank you, hasu, now I understand. Yes, it's exactly so - after flashing firmware there were no Leonardo serial ports in system, so I had to flash it after pressing reset buttons. I just thought it not obvious, so I wrote about it here.

I use Arduino Builder for flashing - it's pretty easy to use.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #370 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 10:09:59 »
GOT IT!!!!!
I have a fully working Apple M0116 now!!!!!

Offline mougrim

« Reply #371 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 13:38:44 »
GOT IT!!!!!

Enjoy :) But why you couldn't compile the source? It's pretty easy, both on Linux and Windows.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #372 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 14:40:11 »
GOT IT!!!!!

Enjoy :) But why you couldn't compile the source? It's pretty easy, both on Linux and Windows.

It's easy if you know what you are doing, but for novices it's not as straightforward.  I just happen to have some Linux and terminal/command line experience.  The initial post was a little confusing in that the github link didn't have a download link.  I had to click "tmk_keyboard" to get to a page where there was a link to download the zip. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 January 2015, 17:31:59 by ShawnMeg »

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #373 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 14:45:50 »
GOT IT!!!!!

It's easy if you know what you are doing, but for novices it's not as straightforward.  I just happen to have a some Linux and terminal/command line experience.  The initial post was little confusing in that the github link didn't have a download link.  I had to click "tmk_keyboard" to get to a page where there was a link to download the zip.
+1
If you've never done this before, it is extremely confusing.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 01:51:38 »
GOT IT!!!!!

It's easy if you know what you are doing, but for novices it's not as straightforward.  I just happen to have some Linux and terminal/command line experience.  The initial post was a little confusing in that the github link didn't have a download link.  I had to click "tmk_keyboard" to get to a page where there was a link to download the zip.

Well, that is true. Also, for compining it on windows you need some tools. I got them here:

It's a good link for adding to the first post ;)

Oh, and if you using Windows 8 or 8.1 and keep getting errors instead of conpiling, you'll probably need to replace this file in compiler directory somewhere:

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 09:01:47 »
GOT IT!!!!!

Well, that is true. Also, for compining it on windows you need some tools. I got them here:

It's a good link for adding to the first post ;)

Oh, and if you using Windows 8 or 8.1 and keep getting errors instead of conpiling, you'll probably need to replace this file in compiler directory somewhere:

Thanks.  That's a great link, and should be added to the original post about compiling.  Or someone should make a sticky about how to compile, for beginners.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #376 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 12:03:34 »
Hmm... Anyone knows if I can to power on my PC with the power key on AEKII keyboard, or this is just not possible?

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #377 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 12:33:56 »
Hmm... Anyone knows if I can to power on my PC with the power key on AEKII keyboard, or this is just not possible?
I don't think so, I was wondering the same thing about my m0116.
On another note, does anyone know of a way to fix the fact that the m0116 only has 2 key rollover?

Offline mougrim

« Reply #378 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:11:00 »
I don't think so, I was wondering the same thing about my m0116.
On another note, does anyone know of a way to fix the fact that the m0116 only has 2 key rollover?

Nope. It's not IBM Model F... 2KRO is all you get.

Offline tufty

« Reply #379 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 13:16:31 »
Nope.  Power on functionality was done using the power key as a hard wired "on" switch for the PSU. That's what that extra wire in the ADB cable is all about.

Not without manually rewiring the matrix to incorporate diodes, completely removing the ADB controller, and wiring the new matrix direct to the teensy, then using either hasu or soarer's firmware.  Totally do-able, the PCB is single sided so all you'd need to do is cut some traces and solder some diodes in, but you'd remove any way of ever making it "authentic" again if you care about that.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #380 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 09:28:34 »
Nope.  Power on functionality was done using the power key as a hard wired "on" switch for the PSU. That's what that extra wire in the ADB cable is all about.

I know about original functionality, but in all other ways it works like regular key and I use it for powering my PC off (as I included this function in my layout).
It's just I had one USB keyboard with power key I could power my PC with... But I guess with USB you stick to option your motherboard gives you :)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 23:24:09 »
You can also use that kind of key to power the PC on... but the BIOS has to support it.  You might want to check for a "wake on USB" option .
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline neex

« Reply #382 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:00:16 »
I'm trying to get this to work with a couple of Apple Extended Keyboards (M0115).

When I connect the keyboard to my computer through the Teensy 2.0, all three LEDs on the keyboard light up for a brief moment.  Then they go dim (about half brightness) and remain at that level indefinitely.  The keyboard is totally unresponsive.

Thanks.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #383 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 00:10:49 »
It is worth checking your wiring again.

Offline neex

« Reply #384 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 09:48:12 »
Ok, I did.  I re-soldered it to the Teensy and, this time, pushed the stripped ends of the wires directly into the appropriate holes of the ADB socket (which I can confirm works with my Griffin iMate).  Still behaving the same: all three LED lights steady dim and keyboard unresponsive (and, by the way, this is happening with both of my M0115s).

Needless to say I'm confident the wiring is good (but I'm willing to play with it some more if there are no other options).

A question about compiling:

I installed Crosspack (and restarted computer/Terminal), but when I tried to execute the "make" command in Terminal the output told me I needed to install Xcode.  I then installed Xcode and compiled (seemingly successfully).  So what's the point of Crosspack if Xcode is what is needed (or, are they both needed)?  Could it have compiled incorrectly?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 February 2015, 09:50:46 by neex »

Offline mougrim

« Reply #385 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 11:48:16 »
Ok, I did.  I re-soldered it to the Teensy and, this time, pushed the stripped ends of the wires directly into the appropriate holes of the ADB socket (which I can confirm works with my Griffin iMate).  Still behaving the same: all three LED lights steady dim and keyboard unresponsive (and, by the way, this is happening with both of my M0115s).

Needless to say I'm confident the wiring is good (but I'm willing to play with it some more if there are no other options).

A question about compiling:

I installed Crosspack (and restarted computer/Terminal), but when I tried to execute the "make" command in Terminal the output told me I needed to install Xcode.  I then installed Xcode and compiled (seemingly successfully).  So what's the point of Crosspack if Xcode is what is needed (or, are they both needed)?  Could it have compiled incorrectly?

Thanks.

Hmm, are you sure you put wires into appropriate holes? Maybe you had +5v and Data reversed?

And do you have pull-up resistor?

Offline MontyElephant

« Reply #386 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 21:35:56 »
Is it possible to add macros built into the converter. Such as for the F keys so I don't need to transfer hotkey scripts to each computer?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #387 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:08:49 »
neex, you can see device whose VID:PID is FEED:0ADB on your system if firmware is uploaded properly.

MontyElephant, see these.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/keymap.md#23-macro-action
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/keyboard/hhkb/keymap_hasu.c#L219

Offline neex

« Reply #388 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 15:34:07 »
Hmm, are you sure you put wires into appropriate holes? Maybe you had +5v and Data reversed?

Yes, everything is wired correctly, including the vcc and data.

Yes-- it's a 1000 ohm 1/2 watt.  Thanks for prompting me to check this connection, though--it was not solid, but I fixed it.  Unfortunately, the keyboard still isn't working.  Without the resistor, the three lights on the keyboard are steady dim.  With the resistor, they are off, but the keyboard still is not functional.

neex, you can see device whose VID:PID is FEED:0ADB on your system if firmware is uploaded properly.

Thanks.  I was able to verify the the firmware did upload correctly.  I just can't get any response from the keyboard.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #389 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 00:54:35 »

Yes, everything is wired correctly, including the vcc and data.

Yes-- it's a 1000 ohm 1/2 watt.  Thanks for prompting me to check this connection, though--it was not solid, but I fixed it.  Unfortunately, the keyboard still isn't working.  Without the resistor, the three lights on the keyboard are steady dim.  With the resistor, they are off, but the keyboard still is not functional.

Thanks.  I was able to verify the the firmware did upload correctly.  I just can't get any response from the keyboard.

Did you try this with a single keyboard, or several ones?

Offline neex

« Reply #390 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 08:47:06 »

I have two (2) Apple M0115s.  I've tried both.  Same results.

Again, both work properly with the Griffin iMate.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #391 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 09:41:07 »

I have two (2) Apple M0115s.  I've tried both.  Same results.

Again, both work properly with the Griffin iMate.

Then it's something with your wiring, your firmware or your Mac. I'd recommend you try it with another computer - it it works, then it's something with your Mac.

I include my compiled hex file which definitely works, so you can try to load it, if step one woudn't work.

P.S. Heh, you're lucky one to get two AEK - so far I couldn't get one in my country and it's too expensive to ship overseas :)

Offline neex

« Reply #392 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 18:59:16 »
Then it's something with your wiring, your firmware or your Mac. I'd recommend you try it with another computer - it it works, then it's something with your Mac.

I include my compiled hex file which definitely works, so you can try to load it, if step one woudn't work.

It's still not working.  I uploaded your copy of the hex file (thanks for that).  I also tried it with both my MacBook Air and Mac mini.

So, for good measure I'll check/re-solder the wiring in the morning.  Although, I remain confident my wiring is good.

In the meantime, is there anyone who can confirm whether they've gotten this to work specifically with the M0115 model?

One other thing... I did run the HID Listen program.  It printed the following over and over until I terminated:

adb_host_kbd_recv: ERROR(-30)

I appreciate the ongoing help.  I really hope to figure this out!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #393 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:23:14 »
That error occurs in case converter cannot comminicate with keyboard.
With all due respect, I'm suspecting your wiring, post detailed photos of your work(Teensy and connector) so that we can double check it.

Offline neex

« Reply #394 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:55:34 »
With all due respect, I'm suspecting your wiring, post detailed photos of your work(Teensy and connector) so that we can double check it.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #395 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:05:32 »
Use D0 pin unless you want to edit config.h yourself.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #396 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 02:40:29 »

De-solder wire from F0 on Teensy and solder it to D0. It should work right after that.

Or, if you want, you can edit file config.h in directory adb_usb. Find the section

/* ADB port setting */
#define ADB_PORT        PORTD
#define ADB_PIN         PIND
#define ADB_DDR         DDRD
#define ADB_DATA_BIT    0

And replace PORTD PIND and DDRD with PORTF PINF and DDRF respectively, then recompile firmware and upload it.

(that if you don't want to re-solder)

But - it was written about PD0 pin by default right in the first post.

Offline neex

« Reply #397 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 17:53:58 »
Thanks!  Working now!  Don't know why I used F0... sorry to have wasted anyone's time.

BTW, this is a great hack.  I can't wait to get my keyboard back together!  Since I had everything disassembled, I started the process of doing a retrobright to the case (but it's taking a while because the weather here has been dreary and I do not have a UV lamp).  I also got a nicer braided nylon USB cable that I plan to run through one of the two round holes for the original ADB jacks.  So that the hole would more snugly fit the narrower USB cable, I made a custom small black plastic bushing, which I hope will help keep dust and critters out of my keyboard.  I'll post pics when I'm finished.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #398 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 21:32:34 »
Great.

Yes, post the result of your work. People including me like to see pics of DIY keyboard work.

Offline neex

« Reply #399 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 15:17:57 »
Finished!! Retrobright turned out looking good:

Closed off left side where ADB jack used to be:

Smaller hole on right side for USB cable:

Short nylon USB cable:

New rubber feet:

The guts: