Author Topic: TMK ADB to USB keyboard converter  (Read 673669 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: ADB to USB keyboard converter
« Reply #850 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 20:44:51 »
The black component is ferrite core and not critical one. You can hook up converter directly to main pcb without the ferrite core and ADB port.

Offline kungfu_jesus

« Reply #851 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 19:38:33 »
Thank you so much for your response. I went ahead and removed that component and soldered in, but it's not seeming to register any key presses.

I verified that the build was correct for Teensy 2.0++ at90usb1286 and device manager shows it is HID Keyboard.

Using HID listen, before I was receiving error 30, after resoldering I am only showing keyboard start. No keypresses log any input. I am curious if I am using an incorrect resistor as it is at 4.7k according to the color codes.

Did I solder everything in correctly?

Magic button seems to be the only one registering and it returns:

Keyboard init.
[C]Before init:
hadler_id: 00, is_iso_layout: no
After init:
debug enabled.

Keyboard start.
adb_host_kbd_recv: ERROR(-30)
Before init:
hadler_id: 00, is_iso_layout: no
After init:
debug enabled.

I feel like I am getting close but no cigar quite yet. Bad build, perhaps? Neither the rev1 or rev2 hexes play friendly with the Teensy 2.0++. I am using the modified makefile.teensy.

Using a multimeter I register the 5V from one side of the board to the other, and some of the pins on the black NEC chip at the top show 5V as well, but when I test a switch for any voltage it stays at 0. Is this a warning sign that I have a bad board? :/
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 November 2018, 16:30:26 by kungfu_jesus »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #852 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 20:17:39 »
In most cases if not all -30 error means connections are not totally wrong or iffy. Make sure your wiring is correct.

Offline kungfu_jesus

« Reply #853 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 14:40:00 »
It's only the power button that gives that and I think it's the only button that generates a response because the traces are connected directly to the Teensy. I've double checked all my wiring and it seems kosher. The multimeter shows the same readouts on the board as it does the Teensy.

Is there any way to test the board itself? Should my switches be seeing voltage?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #854 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 16:35:13 »
It's only the power button that gives that and I think it's the only button that generates a response because the traces are connected directly to the Teensy.
what do you mean? You see something in hid_listen when you press power key? How does it connected to, DATA line or VCC line?
Power key was used to wake computer and is always given 5V for coumpter to see direclty its state on 2 pin of connector. That pin is not used by the conveter, though.

I've double checked all my wiring and it seems kosher. The multimeter shows the same readouts on the board as it does the Teensy.

Is there any way to test the board itself? Should my switches be seeing voltage?

Other switches on matrix is scaned at very fast rate and you can't see with multimeter.
Assuming your wiring is correct the board is probably damaged.

Offline numist

« Reply #855 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 21:06:54 »
- Apple adjustable keyboard keypad is not confirmed yet. Not sure if it works or not at this time.

I can confirm that the keypad works properly with the adapter:

REQUEST FOR HELP: Extended mouse protocol support
It is required for more buttons and movement resolution of mouse/trackball.
Do you have multiple button mouse? Implement it!
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/274

Funny, I was writing an adapter firmware before I found this thread and already have extended mouse support implemented. Should be able to port it over without too much trouble.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #856 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 21:31:29 »
numist,
Great! Thanks for the report. I'm really glad to know it works with the keypad.

And adding exntended mouse support would be appreciated!

Offline Lótetem

« Reply #857 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 06:16:27 »
Hi guys!

Im a newbie to microcontrollers its one of my first projects but I encountered a problem I think I cant resolve alone.

So I downloaded the full tmk_master library. Set up the compiler and tried to compile it but it exits with Error 1 after trying to compile keymap.c I think. Final line basically sais that keymap.o cannot be compiled.

So I tried downloading the .hex form the keyboard editor that doesn't work either.

Im using FLIP to upload it uploads and verifies with success.

Im using a Pro Micro about that:

Yes its 16Mhz/5v.
PD0 is pin #3 but sources differ... I can verify that if needed.
Im using the Atmel DFU bootloader the one it comes with is crap. Its programmed with an Arduino UNO and I tricked the IDE to upload it, it seems to be working.
I made sure J1 is shorted I can reverse if needed.
I-used a 4.7K external pull up R.
Im using the libusb driver.

Symptoms with the downloaded .hex.

*Windows doesnt recognise converter as an HID device
*When keyboard plugged in It blinks up all the leds and then nothing happens.

So my probably wrong guess is that the downloaded hex doesnt work because of the same issue as my compiler doesnt compile but it pushes the unlinked file to be able to be downloaded. Im using the rev1 editor and makefile.rev1 but makefile also exits with the same error. Also Im trying to compile with iso layout.

About me and stuff:

I love keyboards I have an 89 and a 93 model M both ISO
I have 2 AEK2 both are Hungarians (like i am) and on of them is boxed and Mint no yellowing at all and that feels really noice.
Have a bunch of other keyboards mint foam and foil terminals and yes they really get better when the go wrong.
And I have one really interesting HP terminal board which I want to present to the community in the future.

Offline superbia

« Reply #858 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 10:14:49 »
Im a newbie to microcontrollers its one of my first projects but I encountered a problem I think I cant resolve alone.

I can only say that I've documented the entire process on linux, so make sure to check it out.  :thumb:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.msg2464076#msg2464076
Keebio Iris 2.8 (Alps) X Colemak Mod-DH

Offline Tactile

« Reply #859 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 10:24:44 »
So I tried downloading the .hex form the keyboard editor that doesn't work either.

Which keymap editor?

At the top do you see:
ADB-USB Converter rev.2

or
ADB-USB Converter rev.1

Your Pro Micro has a ATMega32u4 processor so you'll need to use the editor Rev 1

Carefully read the fine print below "Keymap Editor" in this post.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Lótetem

« Reply #860 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 10:55:51 »
Thanks guys for the answers.

I can only say that I've documented the entire process on linux, so make sure to check it out.  :thumb:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.msg2464076#msg2464076

@Superbia I did, did I miss something? Im planning to set up something with Linux but I dont think its an OS related issue, feel free to correct me.

Which keymap editor?

@Tactile I used rev1, if you read the whole post you can see I tried to compile for rev1 too.

Could any of you verify that the firmware downloaded from the editor works? I mean a firmware downloaded today. Or that a fresh download of the tmk_master compiles?

That way I can be sure that the problem is at my end not in the tmk_core.

Offline Lótetem

« Reply #861 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 11:05:48 »
Just to follow up, I think my compiler works all right because it starts compiling compiles about 10 or something like that files before it quits at keymap.c -> keymap.o and thats in the tmk core.

Offline Lótetem

« Reply #862 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 03:51:03 »
Hi Its a new day!

So I checked the git the last commit was about 2 years ago to keymap.c and keymap.h so there is plentiful evidence that it works. But the last commit mentioned that some compilers would have problem with the old version of the file. So I checked the compiler, and the avr toolchain was installed and the compiler compiled. Hm. Then I checked the compiler error nothing new. So I checked the full output and what I saw at the end so when the compiler starts... WinAVR was installed and that was the compiler. After uninstalling compiling works.

Still an issue remains, that the code doesn't work. My best guess right now is the bootloader or an issue while flashing the bootloader. I have some spare Pro Micros, they show up as HID devices but the one I'm using doesnt. I think it has to do something with the Atmel DFU bootloader Im using.

I will try a fresh OotB Pro Micro with avrdude.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 December 2018, 04:04:48 by Lótetem »

Offline BlastoSupreme

« Reply #863 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 22:05:06 »
Hello,

This is going to be my first coding project. I have next to no experience with any form of code. My education is in medicine so this is quite new to me. I have recently acquired an Apple Extended Keyboard II. I found online that it is possible to use a teensy to connect it to a modern day Mac. I have a question about the power button. I would like to use it to make my MacBook go to sleep. I know this can be done via a specific key stroke shortcut, but i am wondering if it is possible to accomplish this with the power button in a single press.

Thank you so much in advance. I appreciate your patience as I said, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Blasto

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #864 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 00:09:14 »
Hello,

This is going to be my first coding project. I have next to no experience with any form of code. My education is in medicine so this is quite new to me. I have recently acquired an Apple Extended Keyboard II. I found online that it is possible to use a teensy to connect it to a modern day Mac. I have a question about the power button. I would like to use it to make my MacBook go to sleep. I know this can be done via a specific key stroke shortcut, but i am wondering if it is possible to accomplish this with the power button in a single press.

Thank you so much in advance. I appreciate your patience as I said, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Blasto

It should work. Use code KC_PWR(or AC_PWR) for that pupose.
Try it and report back here when you have time.

Offline BlastoSupreme

« Reply #865 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:17:44 »
Hello,

Blasto

It should work. Use code KC_PWR(or AC_PWR) for that pupose.
Try it and report back here when you have time

Do I need to attach the power switch wire to the teensy for that to work?
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:45:29 by BlastoSupreme »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #866 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 18:20:07 »
No, you don't.

Offline mcmaxmcmc

« Reply #867 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 20:35:49 »
EDIT: I got it working! 1K Ohms weren't wasn't enough for my original ADB cable.   :thumb:

I've been trying to figure out why my controller isn't working for about 6 hours now...  Everything seems to be wired correctly, the pro micro is working and is detected by QMK Toolbox, there's a 1K Ohm resistor as a pull-up, and all of the wiring is active (as in, Continuity tests show that the wire isn't cut or anything).  When the board is plugged in, the lock LEDs light up normally as it would, but it updates very slowly, though it is controllable with another board.  I flashed in the rev.1 version of the hex file.  The board tested is an AEKII.  (I've also tested an ASK with it, though I feel like that board is broken due to it not giving anything in QMK Toolbox.)

Here's the wiring:

Here's what QMK Toolbox spits out:

If you need anymore info, please ask.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 February 2019, 00:40:41 by mcmaxmcmc »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #868 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 00:24:11 »
I've been trying to figure out why my controller isn't working for about 6 hours now...  Everything seems to be wired correctly, the pro micro is working and is detected by QMK Toolbox, there's a 1K Ohm resistor as a pull-up, and all of the wiring is active (as in, Continuity tests show that the wire isn't cut or anything).  When the board is plugged in, the lock LEDs light up normally as it would, but it updates very slowly, though it is controllable with another board.  I flashed in the rev.1 version of the hex file.  The board tested is an AEKII.  (I've also tested an ASK with it, though I feel like that board is broken due to it not giving anything in QMK Toolbox.)

Here's the wiring:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Here's what QMK Toolbox spits out:
Show Image

If you need anymore info, please ask.  Cheers!

In the photos I can't see J1 very well. Have a look at this post.
REΛLFORCE

Offline GollyGee

« Reply #869 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 15:49:32 »
Hey Hasu, thanks for the great resource and code!  :) I'm working on converting an MO116.  I'm still new to this stuff, but I think I'm very close to getting it working. Right now, I'm getting nothing when I type on it, even though the keyboard is hooked up to the Teensy. I'm pretty sure I programmed the Teensy right and the wiring is fine, but I'll attach pictures. It's not soldered yet because I want to make sure everything works before making it permanent. Thanks for the help! :D

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2019, 15:54:33 by GollyGee »

Offline nevin

« Reply #870 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:31:34 »
Gollygee, it's probably a loose connection, something not making good contact because of not being soldered. If you want to do something this way (pre solder) use a breadboard & jumpers.

Try soldering the converter together, even if not permanent & see if problem persists.

Or make everything neat & solder for final assembly, you sound like you're pretty certain you have it put together correctly, go for it.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline GollyGee

« Reply #871 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:52:46 »
Gollygee, it's probably a loose connection, something not making good contact because of not being soldered. If you want to do something this way (pre solder) use a breadboard & jumpers.

Try soldering the converter together, even if not permanent & see if problem persists.

Or make everything neat & solder for final assembly, you sound like you're pretty certain you have it put together correctly, go for it.

Thanks for the help! Just a quick question: the copper wire is a bit thick to fit in the holes of the teensy with the resistor being in the same hole (that's why I'm using thinner braided wire atm). Does the copper wire have to go all the way through the hole, or can I just solder it to the top? I guess I could file the ends of the wire down.

Oh and something else: the data line should be connected to D0 by default, correct?
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:54:53 by GollyGee »

Offline nevin

« Reply #872 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:01:50 »
solder the resistor in first (through hole), then solder the wire to the leg on the resistor just above the solder joint you just made. the connections don't have to go through the hole to work they just have to make a solid connection to the pad they are supposed to be connected to.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline nevin

« Reply #873 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:10:47 »
here's another way to do it (wires first, then resistor), posted earlier in the thread:
SUCCESS

Turned out to be a 1 hour project, once I had all the components in place. Ultimately, I went with an external connector for three reasons:

1) Fear of working in cramped conditions

2) Can more easily fall back on one of the other spare keyboards if something goes wrong

3) DAT original ADB cable!

Process writeup:

So, I bought the keyboards together on eBay from a single seller (he discounted the lot of 4 for $112 - $28 a pop!). He sent me serial numbers, confirming that all had the Alps switches. They had no cables, though, so I was originally planning on an internal mod with a pretty stock USB cable. I looked at the Zeal PC custom cables, and considered getting a grey coiled cable, but man, it'd be more than the keyboard! I planned for a bit of redundancy, so I ordered two of the Teensy 2.0 boards, and started collecting some other bits and bobs. Got some various soldering bits off Amazon and Adafruit, and got a batch of 10 S-Video connectors off eBay for $5. Also came across two coiled ADB cables on eBay, one NOS, each for ~$5. So, I was set. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Now to come up with some sort of housing for it.

Thanks for the inspiration, GeekHack, and thanks for the code, Hasu!

Happy clackety clack

...sorry, images didn't come through, one sec...

images credit (zacbir). images did not come across when i quoted his post.

212656-0212658-1212660-2212662-3
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:19:09 by nevin »

Offline GollyGee

« Reply #874 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:39:32 »
Thanks for the information nevin! I'll try to remember to update once I try soldering it.

Offline nevin

« Reply #875 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 21:12:05 »
looking for ward to it. good luck.

if your not very familiar with soldering look up a couple how to's on youtube or something.

Offline GollyGee

« Reply #876 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 19:10:52 »
I know someone who can solder, hopefully all will go well

Offline davidkoleda

« Reply #877 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 04:57:43 »
Hi,

I purchased a ADB to USB converter from hasu some months ago and now I'm try to use it with my AEKII.

I have an ADB cable running from the keyboard to the converter, and a micro USB, from the converter to PC. First time I attached the keyboard to the converter (which was already connected to the PC) num lock, scroll lock and caps lock LEDs all lit up, and after a short time went off. This happens every time I connect the keyboard, and from that moment on (when the LEDs turn off) the keyboard is like dead.
I am running windows 10 and in device manager, when the keyboard is connected, there is an unrecognized USB device. Tried to update driver, or unistall/install again from there but I had no luck.
I don't know if the keyboard works properly on its own (in an old apple PC) but it's supposed to: I cleaned it and disasselmbled it on my own, and on the inside everything looked perfect, pristine.

Is there something I did wrong? Sorry for asking maybe a trivial question but I wasn't able to find any info regarding this on the readme file on github
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2019, 05:25:32 by davidkoleda »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #878 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 06:33:37 »
Check USB cable first. Believe me.  Many many people have suffered from crappy USB Micro cables.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/Troubleshooting#usb-cable

Offline davidkoleda

« Reply #879 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 09:00:31 »
Check USB cable first. Believe me.  Many many people have suffered from crappy USB Micro cables.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/Troubleshooting#usb-cable

It actually worked! eheh, thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Re: ADB to USB keyboard converter[Extended Mouse Protocol Support]
« Reply #880 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 03:11:57 »
Added Apple Extended Mouse Protocol and Kensignton Turbo Mouse support

I got Kensington Turbo Mouse(#64210) the other day and added supprt for Extended Mouse Protocol and the trackball specific crytptic intialization.
You can use Turbo Mouse with all four buttons and 200cpi resoution now. I also confirmed Apple one button mouse(G5431)  200cpi, instead of 100cpi.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/274#issuecomment-504726633

It is possible other multi-button pointing devices work with the converter, perhaps. Some of those devices need to enigmatic commands to enable its full function, unfortunately.
If you have multi-button device try this and let me know your result.

You can get source or prebuilt binary from github repo or  Keymap Editor now.

Offline nevin

« Reply #881 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 05:55:14 »
Excellent @hasu! Thank you for your continued work & dedication to this project.

Offline cglegaspi

« Reply #882 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 15:07:30 »
Hello to everyone,

First of all I would like to thank all of you for the hard work during the last years! It is really incredible what you guys have achieved.

I have experience in programming but I am a complete noob in flashing this type of board. I am using a Pro Micro board with the specifications that are required, an atmega32u4.

In my mac, after installing CrossPack and creating the .hex file I try to load it into the pro micro by using

avrdude -p atmega32u4 -P /dev/tty.usbmodem25 -c avr109 -U flash:w:unimap.hex

The response is a blink in the Pro Micro and the following simple message:

Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding

I have tried resetting the board to bootloader but I am not even sure of how to check if it is in bootloader or not, since I don't know how this board works. The first time I plugged it in, my Mac gave me a message about setting up as a keyboard and I discarded it, should it give me this message every time it goes into bootloader mode?

As you can see I am quite lost... any help or directions would be really appreciated

Offline cglegaspi

« Reply #883 on: Sat, 06 July 2019, 07:18:52 »
Well now that I had some more time during the weekend I found the QMK Toolbox, which has given me more insight into what is happening (and a faster reaction time to the 8 seconds of needed to flash the keyboard during the bootloader!).

I managed to flash a self made .hex file from http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?adb_usb_rev1

I used the plain one, without making any changes to it.

After flashing, the keyboard appeared to be recognized as its lights blinked, and it showed up in the Apple keyboard manager. So I clicked continue, and clicked on the key next to my Shift key (note that this is an ISO Spain keyboard), but nothing happened. Waited for a while without any result so decided to exit and test outside that. No keystrokes were recorded.

The resulting code from this interaction was:

*** Caterina device connected
    Found port: /dev/cu.usbmodem1411
*** Attempting to flash, please don't remove device
>>> avrdude -p atmega32u4 -c avr109 -U flash:w:/Users/Aditi/Desktop/unimap.hex:i -P /dev/cu.usbmodem1411 -C avrdude.conf
    avrdude: warning at avrdude.conf:14976: part atmega32u4 overwrites previous definition avrdude.conf:11487.

Connecting to programmer: .
    Found programmer: Id = "CATERIN"; type = S
        Software Version = 1.0; No Hardware Version given.
    Programmer supports auto addr increment.
    Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
        Device code: 0x44

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587
    avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
             To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
    avrdude: erasing chip
    avrdude: reading input file "/Users/Aditi/Desktop/unimap.hex"
    avrdude: writing flash (28672 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.73s

avrdude: 28672 bytes of flash written
    avrdude: verifying flash memory against /Users/Aditi/Desktop/unimap.hex:
    avrdude: load data flash data from input file /Users/Aditi/Desktop/unimap.hex:
    avrdude: input file /Users/Aditi/Desktop/unimap.hex contains 28672 bytes
    avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.24s

avrdude: verifying ...
    avrdude: 28672 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done.  Thank you.

*** Caterina device disconnected
*** t.m.k. - ADB keyboard converter connected -- 0xFEED:0xADB
  >

TMK:fb84cac5+/LUFA

Scan:
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Keyboard:
    Rhadler: 00, ISO: no
    R
    Mouse:
    R
    Scan:
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    USB configured.

> Keyboard start.
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
*** t.m.k. - ADB keyboard converter disconnected -- 0xFEED:0xADB

I am not sure if it is a fault of the keyboard (repeating R keystroke being recorded), or if it is a fault of the connection (even if I reflash the chip, it never shows the option to configure it as a keyboard with the apple configurer.  Should I be looking for that? When I tried on another windows computer there was no result at all (apart from the computer identifying there is a usb device connected).

In the meantime I will keep trying and documenting. If anyone wiser than me can point me in the right direction that would be great!

Offline matty68k

« Reply #884 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:03:59 »
Hello,
Thank you for your time and effort on this project. However, I have a couple questions before I proceed. I am wondering if someone can verify that I have wired this correctly to the breadboard before I test it with my hardware. I have already flashed the proper .hex file to the Teensy 2.0. Attached below is a picture of my wiring. Sorry for my poor English - it is not my first language. :) I have uploaded my images of my wiring to the website Imgur :: https://imgur.com/a/iX1Wl9F

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #885 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:20:08 »
It looks ok to me. I guess something wrong is in connecter side.
Just swap vcc and ground or signal lines position if you are not sure about wiring?
I think you can't mess up your keyboard easily unless you were extreamly unlucky person :p

Hello,
Thank you for your time and effort on this project. However, I have a couple questions before I proceed. I am wondering if someone can verify that I have wired this correctly to the breadboard before I test it with my hardware. I have already flashed the proper .hex file to the Teensy 2.0. Attached below is a picture of my wiring. Sorry for my poor English - it is not my first language. :) I have uploaded my images of my wiring to the website Imgur :: https://imgur.com/a/iX1Wl9F

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #886 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:31:51 »
Hey, sorry for late reply.
did you finish your converter yet?

The "R" means the conveter couldn't see activity on signal line within specific term(500ms).
But I'm 99% sure that your wiring is wrong.

After flashing, the keyboard appeared to be recognized as its lights blinked, and it showed up in the Apple keyboard manager. So I clicked continue, and clicked on the key next to my Shift key (note that this is an ISO Spain keyboard), but nothing happened. Waited for a while without any result so decided to exit and test outside that. No keystrokes were recorded.

The resulting code from this interaction was:

*** t.m.k. - ADB keyboard converter connected -- 0xFEED:0xADB
  >

Scan:
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Keyboard:
    Rhadler: 00, ISO: no
    R
    Mouse:
    R
    Scan:
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    USB configured.

> Keyboard start.
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
*** t.m.k. - ADB keyboard converter disconnected -- 0xFEED:0xADB

I am not sure if it is a fault of the keyboard (repeating R keystroke being recorded), or if it is a fault of the connection (even if I reflash the chip, it never shows the option to configure it as a keyboard with the apple configurer.  Should I be looking for that? When I tried on another windows computer there was no result at all (apart from the computer identifying there is a usb device connected).

In the meantime I will keep trying and documenting. If anyone wiser than me can point me in the right direction that would be great!

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2019, 20:18:47 by hasu »

Offline matty68k

« Reply #887 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 19:36:02 »
There appears to be a wiring issue. I connect the keyboard (US QWERTY / AEK-2) and lights flash but then no keystrokes are sent to the computer. Thank you for being so very patient with me. I may not know a lot, however my desire to learn is immense. You are doing such great things!

It looks ok to me. I guess something wrong is in connecter side.
Just swap vcc and ground or signal lines position if you are not sure about wiring?
I think you can't mess up your keyboard easily unless you were extreamly unlucky person :p

Hello,

Offline brasspanels

« Reply #888 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 10:32:39 »
Hello!

I have recently obtained a apple m0116 keyboard. I have created a adb to usb converter using a arduino micro and it works perfectly!
The only question I have is about how to set-up layering so that I can use the function keys. I see that people are using the power button as the layer switch but that does not work if you are using windows. So what are yall using as your layering switch? or should the power button be working in windows ?

Thank you!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #889 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 17:50:38 »
Hello!

I have recently obtained a apple m0116 keyboard. I have created a adb to usb converter using a arduino micro and it works perfectly!
The only question I have is about how to set-up layering so that I can use the function keys. I see that people are using the power button as the layer switch but that does not work if you are using windows. So what are yall using as your layering switch? or should the power button be working in windows ?

Thank you!

Where did you see the configuration?

With default keymapping you can use grave and backslash as layer switching key, those key are located next to space bar on M0116.
The power button should work as power button even on Windows if you tap it and it is also 'Magic command' key when you hold it.

Offline brasspanels

« Reply #890 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 20:22:36 »

Where did you see the configuration?

With default keymapping you can use grave and backslash as layer switching key, those key are located next to space bar on M0116.
The power button should work as power button even on Windows if you tap it and it is also 'Magic command' key when you hold it.

I saw it somewhere in this forum. I might have misread it! For some reason the power button doesn’t work on my end. Every other key works fine tho so maybe there is an issue with the power button itself.

Thanks!

Offline leovu

« Reply #891 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 21:37:51 »
Great job!  Love seeing this type of stuff. 

« Reply #892 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:14:51 »
Hey hasu.

I've been trying to convert this Japanese AEK II to USB using pro micros for a few weeks now and I'm starting to think that the whole keyboard might just be dead.
I've got images showing what I have at current time -

With this setup, the AEK flashes its LEDs and doesn't respond afterwards. I have a feeling the black cable (labeled as PSW or Power On) might have a place on the pro micro, but I honestly have no idea where to put it. I think I have the correct labelling for the cables anyway - tested it with a multimeter and all.

Any help would be appreciated - I'd love to get this board back to it's original glory.

Thanks!

Offline SuccnYeet

« Reply #893 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 19:37:11 »
Hi, i have been trying to convert my M0116 for a while now, but it would seem that i have no idea what I'm doing. I have wired it up with a 1k resistor, but i am not sure how to program it or anything. Every article i read says to do something different and nothing seems to work, at this stage all i have done is wire it up. could someone please help me out before I give up? https://imgur.com/n16Inka

Offline SuccnYeet

« Reply #894 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 05:16:58 »
Hi, i have been trying to convert my M0116 for a while now, but it would seem that i have no idea what I'm doing. I have wired it up with a 1k resistor, but i am not sure how to program it or anything. Every article i read says to do something different and nothing seems to work, at this stage all i have done is wire it up. could someone please help me out before I give up? https://imgur.com/n16Inka

All sorted.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #896 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 20:31:41 »
No probably.  Current ADB code blocks V-USB executiton and vice versa. As far as I know V-USB can take around 50us to process USB and this makes ADB things harder. If you are still interested in implemening/modify the ADB converter with V-USB yourself I'm happy to help you.

Will the adb converter work with atmega328p with v-USB?

Offline Erisie

« Reply #897 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 21:26:28 »
Guys, I'm at the end of my rope here. I am building an adapter for an ADB 3M Renaissance Ergonomic mouse using a Pro Micro clone. After soldering the Mini-DIN plug and checking the wiring over and over, plus adding the 1k resistor, I can't get it to work.

Since I couldn't get the tmk Ubuntu Virtual Machine working correctly on my computer (it never detected the board), I tried doing more or less the same steps directly on an Ubuntu live drive by compiling the hex file manually from Github and flashing it in the Pro Micro with avrdude's command line interface. It did not work: neither Ubuntu or Windows 7 detected the board as a HID device, or at all.

Today, I tried flashing the board from Windows 7 using AVRDUDESS with a hex file I got from tmk-kbd.com. Same result as before: after flashing, Windows throws the message "USB Device Not Recognized"; there is not even a port on which the board is connected. However, if I short the reset pins to run the bootloader, I can see the board using USBLogView as a "Leonardo bootloader" on port COM10 for 8 seconds, only to dissappear again.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Finally made it work! I used this hex from TMK's Github, which I flashed using QMK Toolbox directly on Windows. Board is recognized as a HID device and the mouse is operating in Windows. Thank you very much, hasu!

However, there's still an issue to be fixed: this particular mouse has two buttons and the right one is not operating correctly. I am using Browser Mouse Event Test Page to see the clicks as the computer sees them.

Left button is recognized as:
Code: [Select]
mousedown   which=1 button=0 buttons=1
mouseup     which=1 button=0 buttons=0
click       which=1 button=0 buttons=0
Which is the same as my regular Intellimouse 1.0.

However, right button is recognized on the first click as:

and on the second click as:

It's not reading right click as "contextmenu", which is what I think it is supposed to do. Is this particular mouse not supported for multi-button operation? Is it a firmware issue?

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2020, 08:13:42 by Erisie »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #898 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 21:57:30 »
However, there's still an issue to be fixed: this particular mouse has two buttons and the right one is not operating correctly. I am using Browser Mouse Event Test Page to see the clicks as the computer sees them.

Left button is recognized as:
Which is the same as my regular Intellimouse 1.0.

However, right button is recognized on the first click as:

and on the second click as:

It's not reading right click as "contextmenu", which is what I think it is supposed to do. Is this particular mouse not supported for multi-button operation? Is it a firmware issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have manual of the mouse and driver diskett? They may explain this somewhat. Photos of its package description, manual and the mouse itself would be helpful, most of us never saw and don't know about the mouse at all.

To recognize two or more buttons, you may need to special initialization sequence that vendor-supplied driver did in the old days. The converter includes initialization code for standard mouses with Apple protocol and  Kinsington Turbo Mouse5, but some devices will require special init code to enable their full function.

Anyway, try hid_listen to see debug outputs from the converter.
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/hid_listen.html

Offline Erisie

« Reply #899 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 00:06:22 »
Do you have manual of the mouse and driver diskett? They may explain this somewhat. Photos of its package description, manual and the mouse itself would be helpful, most of us never saw and don't know about the mouse at all.

To recognize two or more buttons, you may need to special initialization sequence that vendor-supplied driver did in the old days. The converter includes initialization code for standard mouses with Apple protocol and  Kinsington Turbo Mouse5, but some devices will require special init code to enable their full function.

The mouse itself came in a box similar to this one:

It included the mouse itself, a leaflet manual and a CD-ROM with utilities for Windows, but no drivers for any platform. In fact, the manual reads: "No driver needed. Mouse will automatically activate" and "No software needed for MAC or iMAC or ADB connector".

Checking the manual, however, I noticed something:

Right click provides drag function (MAC/iMac Models)

As such, I stand corrected: it seems the mouse is operating as designed, rather than activating context menu as a modern mouse would. In that case, I would need to remap the second button to act as "contextmenu": can TMK firmware do that? Regardless of my chances, I would still be wary of doing the bootloader process again: as I said before, all my attempts at compiling TMK manually did not work; the only firmware that worked for me was the already compiled .hex file I downloaded directly from Github.

Anyway, try hid_listen to see debug outputs from the converter.
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/hid_listen.html

HID_Listen.exe only outputs the following after plugging in the converter:

Scan:
 addr:3, reg3:7C01

Keyboard:
hadler: 00, ISO: no

Mouse:
Classic 200cpi

Scan:
 addr:10, reg3:7802

USB configured.

Keyboard start.

In any case, thank you very much for your reply, Hasu.