Author Topic: MX Compatible Switches Spreadsheet  (Read 12962 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
MX Compatible Switches Spreadsheet
« on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 15:57:12 »
I've just recently returned to the GH community and I've missed a lot over the past year. I don't know if anyone has already done a spreadsheet like this and posted it elsewhere. My Google-Fu didn't turn anything up, so I went ahead and put together a quick spreadsheet of all of the MX Compatible switches that I'm aware of currently on the market. This includes Cherry MX, Gateron KS-3, Greetech, Kailh and Zealio (Gateron).

Spreadsheet: MX Compatible Switches

::: Why I Created This :::
Since coming back to GeekHack, I was curious what switches I have, or have not tried. My goal was to illustrate the different spring weights of stock switches and to see what gaps, if any, existed between the different manufacturers. I figured if I was wondering this, there might be others who might find this interesting as well.

::: What I Learned :::
No shocking surprises in the results. Clearly everyone sells a red stemmed switch as their light, linear model, but there are a few small differences here, or there. A couple of things I noted.
  • Cherry offers the widest variety of switches
  • Cherry has more clicky switches
  • Cherry has more stock heavy switches
  • Gateron is being more creative with linear and tactile switches (in large part because of Zeal)
  • Greetech and Kailh are focused on just the core switches

::: Notes :::
  • The Deskthority Wiki was a huge help and I've linked back to specific wiki entries for each manufacturer to provide greater detail.
  • I couldn't find a lot of information concerning Greetech switches other than what I found on MechanicalKeyboards.com, so I used their data.
  • There are nuances that I left out to keep things simple, such as MX-White being a softer click than MX-Green, or that Cherry also offers RGB versions of many of their switches since they are identical spring weights.
  • Even though Zealio switches are made by Gateron, I gave them their own column since similar stock Gateron switches are also on the market and it might get confusing.

::: Feedback Welcome :::
This is just something I threw together over a lunch break. If you have ideas, or suggestions on how to improve the spreadsheet, please let me know.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: MX Compatible Switches Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:00:03 »
Very nice! I would love to see something similar with Alps. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:08:59 »
Cherry recently released the nature white which is between red and black in weight and there are also the new cherry mx silent switches currently only sold by corsair.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:15:10 »

Here's my presentation on Alps from Keycon this year. I made a kinda similar chart that can be tweaked to be like mashby's.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:18:42 »

Here's my presentation on Alps from Keycon this year. I made a kinda similar chart that can be tweaked to be like mashby's.

I knew I had seen a similar chart recently. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:19:41 »
If I get a chance in the next week or so, I'll tweak that chart to be like mashby's and rehost it on google docs.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 11:54:44 »
Thanks for all the feedback!

@CPTBadAss -- I was hoping you'd say that.  :thumb:  Also, I totally missed your ALPS presentation  :-[  Really nice job on that BTW!

@SpAmRaY -- I forgot about the silent models and never heard about the "Nature White".  :eek: Looks like Ducky Shine 5 will have that switch.

Added a new tab to break out all the Cherry MX models.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 12:36:08 »
It would be great to have the modded ones added to the table, or in a separated one.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 13:18:59 »
It would be great to have the modded ones added to the table, or in a separated one.

You mean like Ghetto Green and Ergo Clear?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 13:22:57 »

Right. At least the common ones, because we may do a weird combination any day.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 14:15:20 »

OK, I added a new tab for Common Modifications. So far I have:

• Panda Clear
  • Ergo Clear
  • Ghetto Green

What am I missing?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 17:35:41 »

OK, I added a new tab for Common Modifications. So far I have:

• Panda Clear
  • Ergo Clear
  • Ghetto Green
What am I missing?
`

How a gray tactile with 62g Korean springs may be called?
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 December 2015, 17:40:21 by ideus »

Offline ika

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 17:38:51 »
Should be noted that Zealios are measured at bottom out weight while all the others are measured at actuation weight. I would categorize Zealios as medium light, as Cherry MX light springs have a bottom out weight of slightly below 60g.

Could also include info on Razer switches (modified Kailhs) and Outemu switches (which are becoming more widespread).

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:22:52 »
Should be noted that Zealios are measured at bottom out weight while all the others are measured at actuation weight. I would categorize Zealios as medium light, as Cherry MX light springs have a bottom out weight of slightly below 60g.

Could also include info on Razer switches (modified Kailhs) and Outemu switches (which are becoming more widespread).

Was going to say this

Awesome sheet by the way I could never remember what all the different Gaterons did

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 11:05:20 »
@ika -- do you have any links for the Razer and Outemu switches? Also, any sources you have for actuation vs. bottom out weights would be super helpful. I'm thinking the weights could be listed at (55g/60g) to show both if we can compile the data.

@swimmingbird -- Thanks!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:28:50 »
What about Razer switches? Looked at the Deskthority entry but there wasn't much data there. Anyone else have a source?

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:36:16 »
What about Razer switches? Looked at the Deskthority entry but there wasn't much data there. Anyone else have a source?

IIRC, they're nearly identical to Kailh Blues, could probably use that data and be 'close enough'

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 19:12:34 »

Why are Zealios measured differently?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:41:04 »

Very, very nice!  I really hate that I missed keycon.  I would have really loved to try out all the alps that you had there.

Offline ika

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:44:07 »

Zealios uses custom springs measured in the Korean way - at bottom out. Springs alone are measured this way because the switch can affect the actuation point (linear vs tactile vs clicky - different actuations for the same spring). Only manufacturers/OEMs publish numbers on actuation weight because they're the only ones with the equipment to do so (barring crazy people like HaaTa). Everyone else measures springs at bottom out weight and go from there.

tl;dr: zeal uses bottom out numbers in his zealios because he can't get actuation point numbers.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 10:17:25 »

Zealios uses custom springs measured in the Korean way - at bottom out. Springs alone are measured this way because the switch can affect the actuation point (linear vs tactile vs clicky - different actuations for the same spring). Only manufacturers/OEMs publish numbers on actuation weight because they're the only ones with the equipment to do so (barring crazy people like HaaTa). Everyone else measures springs at bottom out weight and go from there.

tl;dr: zeal uses bottom out numbers in his zealios because he can't get actuation point numbers.

Thanks for the clarification ika. Do we have bottom out weight data for standard switches?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 13:25:11 »

Thanks for the clarification ika. Do we have bottom out weight data for standard switches?

Nice and clear explanation. In the other hand a sort of "standard way to measure switches" should be defined.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 13:28:32 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46449.0

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 14:55:24 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46449.0

Doh! Totally forgot about rkinze's work.

If I read the data right, I think it would be fair to say that a Cherry MX-Red spring has a bottom out weight of 63g if we round to the nearest whole number. If we show the actuation number and then the bottom out number, it would look like (45g/63g).

Anyone disagree?

Offline SL89

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 15:58:37 »
Is there no such thing as a Cherry MX Clicky Grey?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 16:00:43 »
Is there no such thing as a Cherry MX Clicky Grey?

There was at one time, but it's no longer in production according to Deskthority Wiki -- more here.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 16:04:14 »
Nice resource, mashby.  :thumb:  Now we need a place to keep information like this...  :rolleyes:

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:44:43 »
Nice resource, mashby.  :thumb:  Now we need a place to keep information like this...  :rolleyes:

Thanks Hoff!

I made a few updates:
  • Added Razer switches
  • Added Outemu switches
  • Updated bottom out weights from rknize's tests
  • Added explanation on weights to bottom of each spreadsheet
  • Added sources information

I also found an Imgur photo gallery courtesy of KeyChatter that shows various switches and does a nickel test for both actuation and bottoming out weights. Pretty interesting.

Offline SL89

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:50:47 »
Ah OK that answers that then. But shouldn't MX Grey Clicks b be on the list? Also are Aristotle switches their own thing or were those made by any of the other companies.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:21:36 »
Ah OK that answers that then. But shouldn't MX Grey Clicks b be on the list? Also are Aristotle switches their own thing or were those made by any of the other companies.

Well, the list is only for switches that you can currently buy. Granted, you might find a switch like that on an old keyboard and harvest it, but it's not something you'll find purchasing from a vendor.

As for the Aristotle switch, it was an MX Clone made out of Taiwan but according to DT, they aren't made any more. Zeal has some for sale on his web site, but he confirms that they are no longer being made.

The good news is that Zeal may be reviving the design of the Aristotle switch!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:24:15 »

Well, the list is only for switches that you can currently buy. Granted, you might find a switch like that on an old keyboard and harvest it, but it's not something you'll find purchasing from a vendor.

As for the Aristotle switch, it was an MX Clone made out of Taiwan but according to DT, they aren't made any more. Zeal has some for sale on his web site, but he confirms that they are no longer being made.

The good news is that Zeal may be reviving the design of the Aristotle switch!

The pitch of the switches in the video sound a little higher in pitch than Cherry blues, I hope that changes with the case and plate in use.

Offline SL89

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:32:18 »
You guys are on your A-game, I overlooked the currently produced part of the op. Goddamn Tapatalk. And zeal is the reason I brought them up
 I didn't even know they existed prior to that.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 22:54:54 »
If we show the actuation number and then the bottom out number, it would look like (45g/63g).

Anyone disagree?
I like this way to present the data.  Makes it fast and easy to see differences between weights.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 17:11:58 »
If we show the actuation number and then the bottom out number, it would look like (45g/63g).

Anyone disagree?
I like this way to present the data.  Makes it fast and easy to see differences between weights.

Thanks SamirD! Glad you find it helpful.