Author Topic: Hi from Carlisle, England  (Read 1113 times)

Offline danthedeckie

Hi from Carlisle, England
« on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 14:16:24 »
Greetings Gentlegeeks,

I'm Daniel, I work as a Audio/Visual/Software Engineer for a Charity based up in north England.
I've struggled with RSI since I was a teenager, mainly wrist pain, mostly in my 'mouse hand'.

Anyway, after the summer is a quiet season for us, and since my RSI had been playing up more than usual, I decided to finally get around to learning Dvorak.  Before plunging in, I browsed the interwebs for extra knowledge, learned about Colemak, and all other manner of weirdness.  I read about a bunch of other layouts, and eventually decided to go for Workman ( http://workmanlayout.com/ ).  It's going alright.  About two weeks in, I'm up to around 30 wpm.  I only type Workman on my MS 'Natural' 4000 which I've brought home.  I'm still typing QWERTY at the office, on a bog-standard Dell keyboard I found in a cupboard.  My plan is to stay fluent in QWERTY on regular keyboards and Workman (or something else if I end up disagreeing with it) so I can remain proficient on all the other computers I have to work at every day, but can be more comfortable when at my own workstation.

This is quite a cool forum... I'm already planning building keyboards of my own. This is a little worrying! :-)

Dan

Offline concept73

Re: Hi from Carlisle, England
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 13:38:10 »
Welcome to GH :)

(from a fellow UK resident) :P
Poker 2 with reds
Soon to be a JD40 with reds