Author Topic: I'm thinking of getting a UNICOMP board for fun. What do you recommend and why?  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Pr0grammed

• Programmer
Personal: Mac User, Corsair K95 Platinum XT, MX Brown
Work: Windows, Razer black widow Lite, Razer orange

Offline yui

well for fun i would recommend the 122 or trackball versions as those are not your typical 100% keyboards but all unicomps are very similar inside, the typing experience should be the same
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Wait for their new SSK.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Either wait for their Mini Model M, or check out their New Model M which has a brand new mould/design

Offline powwu

• Discord
Either wait for their Mini Model M, or check out their New Model M which has a brand new mould/design
Do you have any information on this "Mini Model M"? I've never heard of it before and I'm interested

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
I have a 122 and I wouldn’t give it away.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Beef Supreme

I second the new model M. For what its worth I picked one up and enjoy it.  ;D

Offline Maledicted

I own too many Model Ms, but none made in the last 30 years or so. Even so, I'm holding out for the mini M myself. I figure the removable USB cable and form factor make it unique enough to finally dive into the world of Unicomp, whereas most else you can just find for relatively cheap from IBM in one Ebay search.

Offline Kavik

The trackball versions look cool, but the trackball is utterly useless because its DPI is set for CRT monitors from the '90s, so I recommend against those.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline downtownHippie

If it's for fun - get a 122.

I'm a Sun layout user so Unicomp is one of my few options.  I'm interested in the mini/ssk/tkl when it comes out, if it's Sun layout.

Offline funkmon

The trackball versions look cool, but the trackball is utterly useless because its DPI is set for CRT monitors from the '90s, so I recommend against those.

Same for the pointing stick versions for both IBM and Unicomp, though apparently if you're a madman you can dremel out huge holes in the Unicomp keycaps and then it's actually surprisingly functional.

I recommend the New Model M like others in here. It's easily their best built board, and it reduces the footprint of the Classic while retaining most of the weight because the case is so much better. As a bonus, it's the only one that genuinely looks okay with the Unicomp logo in the LED cluster.