Author Topic: Compatible 108-key PCB for iKBC MF108?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Anthixious

Compatible 108-key PCB for iKBC MF108?
« on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 04:30:32 »
Not sure if I'm in the right thread, but here goes nothing!

Hello everyone! First topic of mine and I could really use advice.

So iKBC's MF108 v3 board is available again and I was thinking of getting one, I would love to build my own keyboard out of that case because aluminum is incredible. However, I'm new to the community of keyboard mods in general and have no idea if this is a thing. Am I able to get a fully-soldered 108-key PCB (without key switches) and just screw it inside the case? Would love to solder another switch because it wouldn't be a custom keyboard without them, and I hate RGB for a custom board. At this point I don't even care if it doesn't have backlit capability, but I can't find full-size PCBs anywhere, except for one, and it doesn't have anything soldered on it. Not even sure if one can find compatible PCB replacements.

Help? :S

Offline yui

Re: Compatible 108-key PCB for iKBC MF108?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 07:13:11 »
full size keyboards are more often 101 keys (winkeyless) to 105 (iso with windows keys) 108 is not that common for custom boards, especially because most "enthusiast" only want 60% or less so the custom world is flooded with those although one thing you could do is to either contact the seller and see if they are willing to send you a board without switches, or you could hand wire with a qmk/tmk compatible micro controller in that chassis, or any other, the sky is the limit with custom, well and the skills of the builder too:)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 10:42:46 »
I guess I could find out how to desolder the switches if I do get an MF108, just going to be a pain. Would love to tear out the PCB of my Durgod K310 because that's the white LED version, but I have no idea if it'll be compatible and those are still Cherry MX Reds. I still like Reds, but that'd defeat the purpose of making a custom board for me  :( .

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:00:00 »
you can just change the LEDs although as it is not RGB you will always be stuck with one color and a fairly limited selection. and that is only if you have the LEDs above the switches if you are talking about back lighting, for the indicators i have made a model M (unicomp) with pink LEDs and my previous keyboard had red ones, although you may need to add resistance to reduce the brightness of red LEDs
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)