Author Topic: A Model M for the Wife  (Read 1677 times)

Offline bettablue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
A Model M for the Wife
« on: Mon, 21 February 2011, 23:31:46 »
OK, I'm tired of looking for a free ride.  I need a model M keyboard for the wife.  She has been using mine and loves it.  After the fiasco with the dead keyboard I got a few days ago, we decided that we really just need to buy another one.  I thought the best place would be here on GH so, here I am.  Here is what I'm looking for: a decent, complete, white label, model M 1391401, made between 87 and 92, with 2 piece keys, and detachable PS2 cable.  It doesn't matter if it has been bolt modded but the board should be solid.  My current one isn't modded and there are no broken rivets...   You get the idea.  (Like I said, I got lucky, once, and I am NOT giving her mine!)

Remember, I am on a fixed income, so make me an offer by Private Message.  I am ready to make a deal.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
A Model M for the Wife
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 00:38:00 »
Quote from: ripster;299177
I just bought a Unicomp USB SpaceSaver for my wife and kid.  They BOTH love it and won't take another keyboard (Cherry or Topre).  My kid is addicted to Stepped Capslock which cracks me up.

And I won't let them use my IBM Minis.

Everybody is happy.
I don't blame you for not letting anyone use your IBM keyboards.  I guess I'm selfish that way too, but I just can't bring myself to give my wife my model M.  I have heard and read a lot about Unicomp boards too.  But in my opinion, I like the original model M much better.  It feels more solid for one thing.  Could it be the Unicomp I tried?  Possibly...  I guess I could write up my own comparison between the two.  (Like we really need anoother one, right?)
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline jpc

A Model M for the Wife
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 07:30:43 »
You got PM

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline bugfix

A Model M for the Wife
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 07:33:11 »
Quote from: bettablue;299197
I like the original model M much better.  It feels more solid for one thing.  

Aren't Unicomps made on the same machines?
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline jpc

A Model M for the Wife
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 07:39:58 »
Unicomps aren't made on machines, they are hand carved from hunks of raw polymer by artisans.

Srsly. Yes Unicomps are more similar than different to IBMs. Newer Ms (unicomp or later lexmark) were lighter and sometimes noisier than old ones. Condition matters more than vintage.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates