Author Topic: IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard, bolt mod, clean. $175 / bo  (Read 2170 times)

Offline jpc

• Trade Count: (0)
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard, bolt mod, clean. $175 / bo
« on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 20:14:30 »
This SSK was assembled 11-SEP-87. It works perfectly and types nicely. It has two-piece key caps and a detachable SDL cable.

I bolt modded this board in late 2010, and replaced the springs with crisp new ones from Unicomp. They feel great. It was an improvement, the original springs did not feel very good at all.

This would be an excellent board for a typist. It doesn't need anything, it should last you for years. On a desk or keyboard tray, it looks as good as the day it was built.

That said, some aspects are not 100% perfect and original, so this might not be the perfect example that a collector is looking for...

1. The barrel plate is not original, it is the barrel plate from a full-size Model M cut down to fit. Functionally this is identical to the original barrel plate; the geometry is exactly the same once you cut it down.

2. One Alt key has a small (1mm x 2mm) chip on its edge.

3. The word "Thumper" was written on the case bottom in Sharpie. Yes, this board has a name. Sorry, I should have skipped the Sharpie. This is not visible when the 'board is right side up.

4. There are four small holes (about 3/16" diameter) drilled into the bottom of the case. These do not affect operation. They are not visible when the 'board is right side up.

5. The board has a controller from a full size Model M installed, which works fine and is perfectly usable.

6. I will include the original, correct SSK controller also. The original controller also works and it can be used, however its SDL port is loose and wiggly. I tried and failed to fix this with adhesive. The right way to fix this is with solder. If you are handy with a soldering iron you could probably do it.

Any questions, let me know. Cheers

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 20:24:19 »
pmed

Offline jpc

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 20:36:12 »

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline jpc

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 21:22:13 »
Sold

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 21:53:55 »
Out of random curiosity, what happened to the original barrel plate?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline ironman31

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 21:55:34 »
NO. I missed it.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline jpc

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 22:06:34 »
The original barrel plate cracked during the bolt mod.

@ironman: I'll be selling another before too long. Check back.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 23:13:46 »
I'm actually glad I didn't get a chance to jump on it. I'm more interested in finding a Model F AT
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution