Author Topic: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy  (Read 1218985 times)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
Re: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:15:55 »
Are you only doing 60? or a few more?

Originally he was only planning on doing 30...  :eek:

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:20:40 »
Are you only doing 60? or a few more?

Originally he was only planning on doing 30...  :eek:
Yea I saw that, but he said he would do another round of 30, just not sure if he has said he was willing to do more or not, haven't read through the last 4 pages yet.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline archer

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:33:00 »
order placed, fingers crossed  :confused:

Offline Ahkrael

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:39:43 »
Quick question on plates - the plastic, is it thin enough to remove the switch tops while in the plate?  Or are all plates same thickness, and require unsoldering to open switch top?

Offline asdfasdfasdf

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:40:42 »
I don't quite get this.

What are the optional add-on for:

ALPs PCB + Plate - $72 USD
MX PCB + Plate - $72 USD

Or rather why is this being called an optional add on?
Don't you need these to complete the board?

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:49:07 »
I don't quite get this.

What are the optional add-on for:

ALPs PCB + Plate - $72 USD
MX PCB + Plate - $72 USD

Or rather why is this being called an optional add on?
Don't you need these to complete the board?

The ALPs PCB and plate is an optional add-on. MX PCB + Plate is required to join the buy.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #156 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:50:47 »
Quick question on plates - the plastic, is it thin enough to remove the switch tops while in the plate?  Or are all plates same thickness, and require unsoldering to open switch top?

All plates should be 1.5mm thick. I'm pretty sure. So no switchtop removal.

Offline laguar

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 03:09:40 »

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 03:21:37 »
So gorgeous it almost makes me rethink my endgame choices.

Almost.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 03:27:03 »
@elton, can you put me on the waiting list for this one?

Also, can I still get the plate + PCB option?

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 03:33:27 »
What type of switches (tactile, linear, etc.) will you be putting in the board? I'm trying to get an idea of switch/plate combinations you went for.

I'll be using Clears with the plastic plate.

Offline kacase

• All things bright and beautiful.
    • 9di
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 03:56:26 »
ergo clears (62g springs, lubed and stickered) on steel :)
Orion V2 | Rama M65-A | Rama M67-A aka. Exent | Keycool TKL | Cherry MX Board 3.0

Offline Want

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 04:44:04 »
What type of switches (tactile, linear, etc.) will you be putting in the board? I'm trying to get an idea of switch/plate combinations you went for.

Gaterons blacks, trying out springs when the switches and springs arrive. Going on a plastic plate cuz pings and whatnot.

My only concern with the plastic plate is wether there will be light leaking through from the back of the board in random places.

Offline kingslenkds

• www.hammerclub.org
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 05:54:31 »
How to order? I would like to join a. :thumb:
Often make the chests are wei spark, the world only intensity (life is alive, waiting to die)

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 06:29:00 »

Orders are closed for now. 

I'd recommend subscribing to this topic and watch for a post about the next round. 

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 07:34:16 »
This will be the first time after 2 years that I will be using a keyboard that is larger than 60%. I hope I don't have to adjust too much. I could imagine that the Esc position will screw me over big time.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 08:46:46 »
Wow. I've never seen a group buy close in less than 15 hours. Impressive.

Offline kacase

• 9di
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 09:10:53 »
Wow. I've never seen a group buy close in less than 15 hours. Impressive.

this keyboard looks so great and ducks keyboards are extremely high quality... a lot of us have been waiting for this for very long!

so happy to finaly see it happen  :thumb:

can't wait to get it going!!!

Orion V2 | Rama M65-A | Rama M67-A aka. Exent | Keycool TKL | Cherry MX Board 3.0

Offline elton5354

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 09:17:05 »
@elton, can you put me on the waiting list for this one?

Also, can I still get the plate + PCB option?

Fill in the form and you will be in the waiting list.  Though there will be 10 others in front of you.  :blank:

Click on "ORDER HERE"

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 09:26:03 »

Gaterons blacks, trying out springs when the switches and springs arrive. Going on a plastic plate cuz pings and whatnot.

My only concern with the plastic plate is wether there will be light leaking through from the back of the board in random places.
I'm in the same boat I just got some Gatorade blacks,some krytox and have some sprit gold springs coming in 62,65 and 68g variants so I can try different resistances to see which ones i like the most. I have heard the gat blacks are about as smooth as vintage blacks stock so lubed I hope they will be like butter. I'm having fun getting everything I need together soldering station, goose neck magnifying lamp,switches,springs and stabs (which I still need to source). I also need to find a couple  (cheap) old boards to swap switches and practice my soldering.  It would be easier to buy pre lubed,spring swapped and STICKERED switches but they are expensive and I wouldn't learn that way. Just looking at the PCB with all the leads is a little daunting but I'm pretty determined  :) anyways thanks again Elton I'm very excited to start my first custom board !
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2015, 09:53:29 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 09:33:02 »
Hmmm, snickered switches sounds delicious! :p

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 09:43:17 »
Lol...I thought so myself :))
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Want

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 09:53:10 »

I'm in the same boat I just got some Gatorade blacks,some krytox and have some sprit gold springs coming in 62,65 and 68g variants so I can try different resistances to see which ones i like the most. I have heard the gat blacks are about as smooth as vintage blacks stock so lubed I hope they will be like butter. I'm having fun getting everything I need together soldering station, goose neck magnifying lamp,switches,springs and stabs (which I still need to source). I also need to find a couple  (cheap) old boards to swap switches and practice my soldering.  It would be easier to buy pre lubed,spring swapped and snickered switches but they are expensive and I wouldn't learn that way. Just looking at the PCB with all the leads is a little daunting but I'm pretty determined  :) anyways thanks again Elton I'm very excited to start my first custom board !

Cool, I also ordered Krytox lube and gold 62g, 65g, 68g and 72g springs, also trying out weights. Will probably be able to sell the unused springs relatively easily later. I think the hunt for parts and putting it all together is part of the fun, so although my experience with soldering is sub-par, I look forward to it :D

Tactile nuts?

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #173 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 10:01:48 »

Tactile nuts?
:))

No, smooth as caramel!
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2015, 10:04:40 by wlhlm »

Offline MarkRobbo

« Reply #174 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 10:02:45 »

I'm in the same boat I just got some Gatorade blacks,some krytox and have some sprit gold springs coming in 62,65 and 68g variants so I can try different resistances to see which ones i like the most. I have heard the gat blacks are about as smooth as vintage blacks stock so lubed I hope they will be like butter. I'm having fun getting everything I need together soldering station, goose neck magnifying lamp,switches,springs and stabs (which I still need to source). I also need to find a couple  (cheap) old boards to swap switches and practice my soldering.  It would be easier to buy pre lubed,spring swapped and snickered switches but they are expensive and I wouldn't learn that way. Just looking at the PCB with all the leads is a little daunting but I'm pretty determined  :) anyways thanks again Elton I'm very excited to start my first custom board !

Cool, I also ordered Krytox lube and gold 62g, 65g, 68g and 72g springs, also trying out weights. Will probably be able to sell the unused springs relatively easily later. I think the hunt for parts and putting it all together is part of the fun, so although my experience with soldering is sub-par, I look forward to it :D

Ill take the 62g if you don't decide on those ;)

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #175 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 10:32:02 »

I will most likely go with MX clears. Ordered steel plate but considered both plastic and alu.

This will also be my first custom board. As a matter of fact the GB was so quick I haven't even ordered switches and stabilizers. Any good tips on where to buy MX clear switches and stabilizers?

Will any of guys install switch LEDs? I will, but have no clue where to get em as am very new to the mechanical keyboard scene. So any tips and/or suggestions on where to get switches, stabilizers and in-switch LEDs would be greatly appreciated.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 10:44:31 »

I will most likely go with MX clears. Ordered steel plate but considered both plastic and alu.
Why did you ultimately decide for steel?

This will also be my first custom board. As a matter of fact the GB was so quick I haven't even ordered switches and stabilizers. Any good tips on where to buy MX clear switches and stabilizers?

Will any of guys install switch LEDs? I will, but have no clue where to get em as am very new to the mechanical keyboard scene. So any tips and/or suggestions on where to get switches, stabilizers and in-switch LEDs would be greatly appreciated.
I'd get my switches from 7bit. LEDs from ebay.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #177 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 11:11:35 »

Why did you ultimately decide for steel?

I'd get my switches from 7bit. LEDs from ebay.

I like my keyboards heavy and sturdy. Hence my decision for going with steel. If it becomes too loud I'd probably install o-rings. However if there was an option for buying an extra plastic plate I might go for it as well. Just to try out the feel of it.

Thanks for the tips! :-D

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=c71vcjs4umiuqpsml0kg0feaiaf79t4g&topic=63161.0
« Reply #178 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 13:54:38 »
Is there somebody has repeat orders?
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:09:55 »

Just multiple orders per person. No worry, you are still in

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=c71vcjs4umiuqpsml0kg0feaiaf79t4g&topic=63161.0
« Reply #180 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:37:50 »

Just multiple orders per person. No worry, you are still in
I see. Otherwise, when we need to pay it?
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #181 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:48:28 »
Facts you always wanted to know:
winkey vs. winkeyless:
34:28
blue grey vs. silver vs. black vs. red top:
22:21:17:2
steel vs. aluminium vs. plastic plate (addons):
23(0):22(2):17(3)
aluminium vs. angled acrylic vs. flat acrylic bottom (addons):
32(4):20(14):10(5)
avg. money spent (overall):
$358 ($21953)

People opted for an aluminium bottom but want to try out the angled acrylic variant. Nobody loves red. Most went for a steel plate.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:54:06 by wlhlm »

Offline MarkRobbo

« Reply #182 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:53:15 »
Surprised there aren't more flat acrylic bottoms as addons considering they are so darn cheap  :p

Offline CyriusG

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:05:07 »
I love red, just not for the top part.  :)

Offline r0mIe_Ng

• Go hard or go home!!!
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:12:50 »
considering about red bottom since the first prototype of Duck :D, anw have to find so many stuffs in Fins to build this one :P

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #185 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:25:00 »
bottom plates work on V1?

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:13:38 »
Surprised there aren't more flat acrylic bottoms as addons considering they are so darn cheap  :p
I went for the flat acrylic bottom but for some reason thought it was a frosted bottom not clear. I might change my order for the angled acrylic as that appears to be frosted (I'm really on the fence as to wether I really like the clear bottom with exposed PCB or I hate it). Also I went with the plastic plate because I think in lastpilots GON Crystal TKL build video he uses a plastic plate (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the sound of the board in his subsequent typing video was amazing!!! I really loved it and seeing and reading the process he documented really inspired me to want to build my own. Seriously that board sounds amazing being typed on and I love the very muffled pitter patter of the keys on that thing they sounded sublime!

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:20:06 »
I was browsing through some of the links in the OP and noticed this specific full alu bottom doesn't have 3M feet, as opposed to the 22$ plate. Will those pads be included, or should I find some on my own?

By the way, will the MX plate be white too?
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:30:06 by FreeChemicals »

Offline r0mIe_Ng

• Go hard or go home!!!
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:44:24 »
I was browsing through some of the links in the OP and noticed this specific full alu bottom doesn't have 3M feet, as opposed to the 22$ plate. Will those pads be included, or should I find some on my own?

Show Image

Edited: misunderstanding abt ur question lol 
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2015, 20:45:27 by r0mIe_Ng »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:45:16 »

I went for the flat acrylic bottom but for some reason thought it was a frosted bottom not clear. I might change my order for the angled acrylic as that appears to be frosted (I'm really on the fence as to wether I really like the clear bottom with exposed PCB or I hate it). Also I went with the plastic plate because I think in lastpilots GON Crystal TKL build video he uses a plastic plate (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the sound of the board in his subsequent typing video was amazing!!! I really loved it and seeing and reading the process he documented really inspired me to want to build my own. Seriously that board sounds amazing being typed on and I love the very muffled pitter patter of the keys on that thing they sounded sublime!

I would choose the frosted angled acrylic. Why? Cause it looks MUCH cooler especially with that uniform glow underneath the PCB.  You won't get a 2nd chance in changing once you receive it and will live to regret your decision if you hate it.  :P

Let me confirm but most likely it is able to

Show Image

They will all come with 3M feet. The metal plates will be silver and plastic will be frosted like in the pictures.

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 20:02:07 »
I'm hesitating to add an Alps PCB + Plate on my order...  :(
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline ph3nomzlol

• Ruckus
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 20:26:22 »
I'm sort of torn between winkey or winkeyless lol.  My gut said winkeyless as it just looks so good with those built-in blockers in the aluminum top...  :cool:

Any reason you guys went with WK or WKL?  Looks?  The 2 extra (or less) keys?

Offline Prankk

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 21:06:52 »
I'm sort of torn between winkey or winkeyless lol.  My gut said winkeyless as it just looks so good with those built-in blockers in the aluminum top...  :cool:

It's all about those looks though. And i don't have a winkeyless board yet. The question I keep struggling with is what plate material I should go with? Elton has already changed it once for me. Any advice from seasoned vets?

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 21:17:19 »
Well, thats what I get for not checking GH all weekend.  Oh well.  Next keyboard :)
Hi :)

Offline elton5354

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 21:21:37 »

It's all about those looks though. And i don't have a winkeyless board yet. The question I keep struggling with is what plate material I should go with? Elton has already changed it once for me. Any advice from seasoned vets?

Lastpilot has gave us a pretty good explanation on the different types of plates and how it feels some pages back.  It depends on what switches you use too I suppose

Offline Prankk

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 21:29:46 »

Lastpilot has gave us a pretty good explanation on the different types of plates and how it feels some pages back.  It depends on what switches you use too I suppose

not sure how i missed all that. thanks.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 01:06:39 »

I'm not 100% sure about this either.

My thoughts were this: What modifiers do I want/need?

I definitely need Ctrl for shortcuts, as well as Windows/Super (for window management, etc.). I also want to have Escape near the modifier area since I'm a vim user and that definitely makes things easier. CapsLock I can totally ditch. So, that leaves me with the following option: put Escape on CapsLock, Ctrl on Ctrl and Windows/Super on Alt. In this case, I'm missing an Alt key and even though I use it seldomly at the moment, maybe I take a go emacs at some point and having an Alt key with that helps. That's why I'm currently on winkey.

If you are not dependent on Escape, you can put Ctrl on CapsLock, Windows on Ctrl and Alt on Alt.

I'm interested in what configurations other Linux-desktop users went for.

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 02:41:52 »

I would choose the frosted angled acrylic. Why? Cause it looks MUCH cooler especially with that uniform glow underneath the PCB.  You won't get a 2nd chance in changing once you receive it and will live to regret your decision if you hate it.  :P

Let me confirm but most likely it is able to

Show Image

They will all come with 3M feet. The metal plates will be silver and plastic will be frosted like in the pictures.

Great, that is good to know. I should've asked for the MX PCB instead of the plate, but this is valuable information as well.

By the way, regarding the winkeyless discussion: I'd kill myself if my keyboard would miss it. It's my window manager mod key @ linux, so I use it all the time! When I use Windows, I use it to launch applications (win+r/1-9), resize windows (win+arrows), jump to desktop (win+d), etc.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2015, 02:46:45 by FreeChemicals »

Offline kacase

• 9di
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 02:56:20 »

I'm not 100% sure about this either.

My thoughts were this: What modifiers do I want/need?

I definitely need Ctrl for shortcuts, as well as Windows/Super (for window management, etc.). I also want to have Escape near the modifier area since I'm a vim user and that definitely makes things easier. CapsLock I can totally ditch. So, that leaves me with the following option: put Escape on CapsLock, Ctrl on Ctrl and Windows/Super on Alt. In this case, I'm missing an Alt key and even though I use it seldomly at the moment, maybe I take a go emacs at some point and having an Alt key with that helps. That's why I'm currently on winkey.

If you are not dependent on Escape, you can put Ctrl on CapsLock, Windows on Ctrl and Alt on Alt.

I'm interested in what configurations other Linux-desktop users went for.

I was scared for a second when you were talking about remapping the esc key, and I was wondering why the hell there wouldnt be one on a WINKEYless keyboard. I love my esc right where it is. I use sublime text a lot and it is not dependent on the winkey at all, so I am very happy with my winkeyless choice. Maybe I will map some of the macros on other keys e.g. win + L to lock my pc but ill see about that when my holy grail arrives!

Offline kingslenkds

• www.hammerclub.org
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 09:58:18 »
Hello Elton! I can now place an order to buy? How to choose the fittings to buy? My first time to buy
Often make the chests are wei spark, the world only intensity (life is alive, waiting to die)