Author Topic: vertical mouse?  (Read 4823 times)

Offline hazel-ra

vertical mouse?
« on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 20:28:47 »
Has anyone had problems with their wrist and elbow and found relief with a vertical mouse? I was thinking about ordering one, but the left handed model is quite expensive.

Offline kriminal

vertical mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 21:40:32 »
link?
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline d4rkst4r

vertical mouse?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 23:55:00 »
Evoluent maybe? Lefty version is $75.95. I think Ripster has one.
Italian Red FKB104M/EB · Deck Legend Ice (tactile) · AEKII

Offline Findecanor

vertical mouse?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 09:14:41 »
I think that a girl at work uses that one. It is the only mouse that does not give her pain.

Offline woebtz

• http://www.headcasegames.com
vertical mouse?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 23:09:08 »
I have some pain in my right forearm (starting near wrist to elbow) that's mainly aggravated by clicking/scrolling with my index/middle/ring fingers.

I used the vertical mouse (RH model) for a week and found that it didn't help me, but that shouldn't be surprising since it doesn't eliminate the clicking action.

I've had some minor relief using the Monster Gecko PistolMouse, Zalman FPSGun, and IBM Scrollpoint 3. The first two offer a "squeeze-grip" to click, and the latter a joystick to scroll.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless CB, Apple Wired Keyboard, MS Comfort Curve 2000, Belkin n52te,
RollerMouse Pro, Ergonomic Touchpad, Magic Trackpad, Kensington Expert, Orbit Trackball w/ Scroll, IBM Scrollpoint III, Zalman FPSGun, Monster Gecko PistolMouse, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Marble & First Pilot
[/COLOR]

Offline kriminal

vertical mouse?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 23:11:00 »
hey hows the zalman gun thing working out? looked too much "out there" for me to try..
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Oqsy

vertical mouse?
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 23:18:59 »
Quote from: Findecanor
I think that a girl at work uses that one. It is the only mouse that does not give her pain.

I find most girls like to grip it better in an upright position.  Much easier to maneuver and manipulate that way.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline EverythingIBM

vertical mouse?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 23:33:02 »
Quote from: Oqsy;206462
I find most girls like to grip it better in an upright position.  Much easier to maneuver and manipulate that way.

It's fairly easier on the wrist using the mouse sideways actually.
Although, at first I thought you weren't being serious when reading that first sentence. I don't know, there's just something not right:
"grip it better in an upright position"
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Oqsy

vertical mouse?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 02:32:30 »
You might just be on to something there, kid...
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline British

vertical mouse?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 09:15:04 »
Maybe the OrthoMouse could be of some interest ?
Not sure if it exists left-handed though.

Offline stickemup

vertical mouse?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 09:51:20 »
Now that I've seen the vertical mouse, I will probably become conscious of my hand being rotated 90 degrees using my mx-518, and that will lead to more purchases.

How long until I can get a quality vertical mouse that's also suitable for graphics software?

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
vertical mouse?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 13:03:02 »
I use a 3m vertical mouse at work.  Takes a little getting used to, but really makes a difference if you are having problems with your wrist.  You move it around using your shoulder and elbow only, so for a while you'll probably lose fine control.  I'm used to it now, and wouldn't swap back to a normal mouse.

If your having trouble with your elbow you might not find it the best option.  What about swapping to the right hand for a while?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Rajagra

vertical mouse?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 23:18:16 »
Has anyone tried the Smartfish Ergomotion mouse? It looks like it would be very comfortable with the floating top part, and isn't very expensive (for this category of product.)

Offline Lanx

vertical mouse?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 23:50:26 »
The worst part about all these "ergo" mice (i've tried a lot of them) is that if your used to high end mice these ergo mice are nothing but an ergonomic plastic shell with $3 mice innards. The sensors on these mice are horrible and it made me crazy using these evolucent and other "ergo" mice. Low dpi, bad tracking, lag... This is for gaming, this is just how sluggish these mice felt, high dpi is not only for gaming, if i want to go from the left side of the screen to the right side with a 24' in monitor, thats not going to happen with these cheap ergo mice, your gonna have to pick up the mouse or something to make them move that far a distance.

Offline EverythingIBM

vertical mouse?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 01:21:19 »
Quote from: Lanx;207337
The worst part about all these "ergo" mice (i've tried a lot of them) is that if your used to high end mice these ergo mice are nothing but an ergonomic plastic shell with $3 mice innards. The sensors on these mice are horrible and it made me crazy using these evolucent and other "ergo" mice. Low dpi, bad tracking, lag... This is for gaming, this is just how sluggish these mice felt, high dpi is not only for gaming, if i want to go from the left side of the screen to the right side with a 24' in monitor, thats not going to happen with these cheap ergo mice, your gonna have to pick up the mouse or something to make them move that far a distance.

It also depends what resolution you play games in. A lot of bigger titles (SC2) still support lower res for gaming purposes.
I've never had any issues with my standard Microsoft or IBM optical mice in terms of DPI (and to those scouring ready to shout "640x480", no, I don't use optical USB mice on win 98 computers).

Quote from: Oqsy;206490
You might just be on to something there, kid...

Well sorry, my assburgers confuses me whether you're being serious or not.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline woebtz

• http://www.headcasegames.com
vertical mouse?
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 August 2010, 17:28:04 »
@kriminal: Review up!
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless CB, Apple Wired Keyboard, MS Comfort Curve 2000, Belkin n52te,
RollerMouse Pro, Ergonomic Touchpad, Magic Trackpad, Kensington Expert, Orbit Trackball w/ Scroll, IBM Scrollpoint III, Zalman FPSGun, Monster Gecko PistolMouse, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Marble & First Pilot
[/COLOR]