Author Topic: Best mouse for FPS games?  (Read 51856 times)

Offline hdsound

Best mouse for FPS games?
« on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 23:13:59 »
I use apple magicmouse. But  It feels like bad for fps gaming.

Could you recommed some mouse for gaming?(Fps and etc games) ;)

Offline L4yercake

Re: Best mouse for FPS games?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 23:21:06 »
Razer Deathadder, SS Sensei, or one of Zowie variants.

Deathadder has the best tracking ability imo. Sensei and Zowie feel great to hold.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 23:30:54 »
I like the crispness of the buttons on my g9x, however ergonomics wise I like the CM Xornet. It's one of those "everybodys different" things.
Looking for CC's!

Offline hdsound

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 01:26:54 »
Isn't there fever phenomenon in using Death adder?

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 04:30:53 »
There's the IME 3.0, one of the best mouse ever made, but it has old engine.. I use sensei for everything, I just bought da 2013 too, but its too light for me, so I went back to sensei

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 04:34:33 »
There's the IME 3.0, one of the best mouse ever made, but it has old engine.. I use sensei for everything, I just bought da 2013 too, but its too light for me, so I went back to sensei

Funny I just asked a friend about this.

IO1.1 is also pretty popular with some of the old-school CS players.

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 04:44:07 »

Funny I just asked a friend about this.

IO1.1 is also pretty popular with some of the old-school CS players.

Io 1.1 and ime 3.0 is very popular among the cs player

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 05:58:33 »
It all comes down to preference, there is no "best" mouse for gaming. However, I would recommend getting a mouse with a decent, preferably flawless, sensor, but the most important thing is that you find one with a shape that fits you.

So unless you can tell us roughly what you want in a mouse then all we can do is list a bunch of mice at random.

But as far as "safe" recommendations go;
Palm grip:
Razer DeathAdder
Logitech G400

Fingertip/claw:
Razer Abyssus
CM Storm Xornet

edit; post 700, yay
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 06:01:58 by vun »

Offline CTollemache

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 07:33:45 »
Razer Deathadder, SS Sensei, or one of Zowie variants.

Deathadder has the best tracking ability imo. Sensei and Zowie feel great to hold.

Yes for the Zowie! the EC1 feels just like an Intellimouse 3.0. I was so gutted when Microsoft stopped making them.

Offline Shuki

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 10:08:16 »
If you like the shape of the apple mouse probably go for a G100s or a Zowie am or fk. Both are slightly bigger than the apple with a higher profile but have a general long and narrower profile. All depends if that's the shape you are looking for.

All of the mice mentioned are fine in terms of performance, however it all depends on the shape you want really. I would prefer a mouse with subpar performance that fits my hand, than a perfect sensor with an awful shape.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 10:10:00 by Shuki »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:41:00 »
I think the Taipan has an awesome shape. It's very narrow, so it literally "gets out of the way" so to speak, as I'm gaming. It really helps me with the flow, when I'm gaming.

Also, some people have complained that the Taipan has some sort of sensor "lag", but, I actually think it's a software issue. Because people with the newest Deathadder 2013 version noticed a similar thing, yet the Deathadder and the Taipan use different sensors (optical vs. laser). Also, with the newest Razer Synapse software (1.07.15), I honestly don't notice it anymore. So, it seems to me it was initially a software thing, and Razer changed it with the drivers.

Also, I've tried G700, G9x, Deathadder, Sensei, and G400. For me, personally (I understand it may be different for everybody), the Taipan works best for me.

And, yes, it's great with FPS games, or, at least with Crysis 3. Haven't tried anything like CS, yet. Because of its slim form-factor, the mouse cursor goes literally where my hand/fingers go. It doesn't feel like I'm actually moving a "mouse" to move the pointer, but rather, just my hand. It's helps me with the flow of the game, and it's a good feeling.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:54:47 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline Batou

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 17:36:25 »
I did try many logitech and some razer but at the end...really cheap solution and probably not much reliable but i've purchased 5 of these so far for all of my pc and i love them:
http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=15864
I did play bc2 and bf3, for big hands it's a perfect mouse. 2 cents!
Well, a good friend of mine with a K/D of 3.5 on bf3 says razer imperator is the best but i don't love razer products...
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 17:42:17 by Batou »

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 01:59:42 »
I have tried so many mice. Pretty much every major brand out there. I think the Logitech g9x is the best mouse you can buy, personally. My runner up is the Corsair Vengeance M60 or M65. The M65 has a higher DPI sensor, but that probably wont make a difference to you, since the M60 already goes up to 5700 I think.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 06:57:23 »
I think that what is best depends on what works for you. Some things to avoid are mice with a low max tracking speed, mice that do not track well on your preferred surface, mice that do not fit your grip and mice that have severe acceleration and prediction. Lift of distance seems to be more of a personal preference than anything else (as is prediction really)

Beyond those things, it is all up to you. When it comes to the quality of the sensor, the optical sensors are still the best on the market. They typically have a lower DPI than laser sensors, but track on more surfaces and do not have any acceleration issues. Some of the mice that fall into this category are the Zowie mice, G400, Deathadder 3G&3.5G, Abyssus etc.

That said, acceleration is not as awful as some make it out to be. In the pro-scene, there are many top players that play with mice that some deem inferior/unusable. If the acceleration is consistent, it is perfectly possible to adjust and get used to it. We see this in a lot of Steelseries mice. Pro teams like Fnatic, SK, NIP etc. use a lot of them. Example : http://www.nip-gaming.se/the-team/ The Xai, kana and ikari optical seem popular in the pro circuit. Even the sensei with its Avago 9500 laser sensor seems to be used.

Also note that some of the popular mice that you often see recommended on boards, and flagship models (which often add needless things like adjustable weights, lights etc) are virtually non-existent in the competitive scene.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 07:01:21 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Johan

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:25:31 »
Well of course they'll use Those mice, they get paid to use them. Besides when you get good enought at a game you can pretty much use any gear and still play at your best.
Uh, stuff.

Offline RatPatrol01

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:38:18 »
We see this in a lot of Steelseries mice. Pro teams like Fnatic, SK, NIP etc. use a lot of them. Example : http://www.nip-gaming.se/the-team/ The Xai, kana and ikari optical seem popular in the pro circuit. Even the sensei with its Avago 9500 laser sensor seems to be used.

At least in Sensei I'm pretty sure you can disable or counter the 5% acceleration inherent to the sensor

Offline swagpiratex

Best mouse for FPS games?
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:48:36 »
My two favorites are the Deathadder and the Logitech G9x. Sensei RAW is really good too

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 11:07:07 »
We see this in a lot of Steelseries mice. Pro teams like Fnatic, SK, NIP etc. use a lot of them. Example : http://www.nip-gaming.se/the-team/ The Xai, kana and ikari optical seem popular in the pro circuit. Even the sensei with its Avago 9500 laser sensor seems to be used.

At least in Sensei I'm pretty sure you can disable or counter the 5% acceleration inherent to the sensor

Can you explain how?  I'd like to learn.

Offline RatPatrol01

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 11:55:17 »
As far as I know you can just do it through the software or through mouse's controls and the screen on the underside, that's how it is with my Xai which has the same sensor as the Sensei last I checked..

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 11:58:59 »
There is no way to disable the acceleration in laser sensors as it is a limitation of the current technology used in those sensors, and from the graphs I've seen the accel is fairly inconsistent so even if there was a software setting to counteract it I doubt it would be reliable.
But there is no such setting in the SteelSeries Engine software.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:18:19 »
Well of course they'll use Those mice, they get paid to use them. Besides when you get good enought at a game you can pretty much use any gear and still play at your best.

Yes, this was exactly my point. I was not trying to say they choose these mice because they are the best ones, I was trying to say that these mice have some of the issues people mention in this thread, and they do well regardless.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:21:06 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:32:02 »
optical's are better for fps gaming because of the negative/positive acceleration issues with laser mice.
I played with a logitech g9x for years until I read the sticky threads on OCN about negative/positive acceleration.
It was very hard for me to pick out a mouse that I liked.
I could not decide between the Steelseries ikari optical or the razor deathadder 2013.
So I bought both.

Since you stated you were using a magicmouse I am assuming your using a Mac?

Mac Gaming
Razer Synapse 2.0 is available for mac here.
http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=860mac.

Steelseries engine is available for mac as well
http://steelseries.com/support/downloads

If you plan on updating the firmware on a steelseries mouse you will need a pc for a few minutes.

For the FPS mouse fix for MAC OSX to disable acceleration read this thread..
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=16205.0

Windows Gaming
here is a little info that may help you setup your pc for fps gaming properly if you do have a pc.

install mouse fix from here
http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

go to the mouse control panel and set your sens to 6/10 (default setting)
uncheck enhance mouse precision

reboot your pc

install the software for your mouse and adjust to your liking.

I play cs:go. what fps are you playing?

Cs:go Setup
for cs:go my setup is like this (I have a pc but it is the same for a mac)

1100 dpi in razor synapse with deathadder 2013

CS:GO Launch Options

open Steam
Open the library
Right click on Counter-strike: Global Offensive
Click Properties
Click Set Launch Options
Paste this in the box and change the 60 to 120 if you have a 120 hertz monitor
-noforcemparms -noforcemspd -noforcemaccel -novid -freq 60 -console +gl_nullqueries 1 +exec autoexec.cfg

in game console commands for mouse settings

m_rawinput "1"
m_mouseaccel1 "0"
m_mouseaccel2 "0"
m_mousespeed "0"
m_customaccel "0"
m_customaccel_exponent "0"
m_customaccel_max "0"
m_customaccel_scale "0.00
sensitivity "1.0"
zoom_sensitivity_ratio_mouse "1.0"

I use 1.0 in game and control my sens with the dpi adjustment from synapse.
If you find that you can not find a in between because it only allows steps of 100 dpi at a time then set your dpi to the lower value and fine tune your ingame sens to compensate.

crosshair settings
orums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2870925

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 13:23:24 »
Be careful with Synapse dpi, optical sensors usually only have a few dpi steps, setting the dpi in Synapse to anything other than those steps will interpolate the dpi and sensitivity settings to resemble the dpi you want. I'm not sure what this means for precision as I haven't tested it, but just something to keep in mind in case you're not getting the precision you want.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:00:25 »
Be careful with Synapse dpi, optical sensors usually only have a few dpi steps, setting the dpi in Synapse to anything other than those steps will interpolate the dpi and sensitivity settings to resemble the dpi you want. I'm not sure what this means for precision as I haven't tested it, but just something to keep in mind in case you're not getting the precision you want.

If you find that you can not find a in between because it only allows steps of 100 dpi at a time then set your dpi to the lower value and fine tune your ingame sens to compensate.

Synapse allows control of dpi on the deathadder 2013 from 100-6400 in 100 dpi steps.
what I was saying is that if you find that 1100 dpi is to slow and 1200 dpi is to fast... use 1100dpi in synapse and slowly raise your ingame sens to make up for the difference.

I do not like linking stickies from OCN but this article is a very good read.
http://www.overclock.net/t/173255/cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:03:18 »
I'll use my DA 3.5G as an example here; I believe the sensor has dpi steps of 450, 900, 1800 and 3500 if memory serves me right, most optical sensors will have steps like that, yet Synapse does 100 steps, as you said. However, it doesn't set dpi; if you choose 900 with the DA 3.5G it sets it to 900dpi, but if you set it to something like 1200 it will most likely set dpi to 900 or 1800 and then adjust driver sensitivity to emulate 1200 dpi.
Now, in practice this will probably not make any noticeable difference, but I can't say for sure as I haven't looked into it much nor done much testing on my own, but it could possibly adversely affect precision in a similar manner to how windows sensitivity settings other than 6/11 does.

But like I said, I don't know too much about it and there is no real evidence saying that it's bad, but just keep that in mind.

Edit;
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I've gathered you'll need a laser sensor if you want to adjust dpi in increments of 100, so far I haven't seen any optical sensors that can be adjusted in 100 dpi steps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:28:24 by vun »

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:39:52 »
Sensei tracking is a deathtrap. I know of multiple pro gamers that curse it but still use it due to sponsor-ship.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:45:09 »
I'll use my DA 3.5G as an example here; I believe the sensor has dpi steps of 450, 900, 1800 and 3500 if memory serves me right, most optical sensors will have steps like that, yet Synapse does 100 steps, as you said. However, it doesn't set dpi; if you choose 900 with the DA 3.5G it sets it to 900dpi, but if you set it to something like 1200 it will most likely set dpi to 900 or 1800 and then adjust driver sensitivity to emulate 1200 dpi.
Now, in practice this will probably not make any noticeable difference, but I can't say for sure as I haven't looked into it much nor done much testing on my own, but it could possibly adversely affect precision in a similar manner to how windows sensitivity settings other than 6/11 does.

But like I said, I don't know too much about it and there is no real evidence saying that it's bad, but just keep that in mind.

Edit;
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I've gathered you'll need a laser sensor if you want to adjust dpi in increments of 100, so far I haven't seen any optical sensors that can be adjusted in 100 dpi steps.

thanks for more detailed description.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 08:32:19 »
Sensei tracking is a deathtrap. I know of multiple pro gamers that curse it but still use it due to sponsor-ship.

I get angry at mine sometime.  All of a sudden the cursor would go further down then what I feel it should.

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 09:03:49 »
I used to love my IME 3.0, but the scroll is very annoying.. so I got the DA 2013 instead. I have a Sensei too.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 16:43:03 »
Personally, I really like the G700.

I can't do wired.
The cords simply don't last and I always feel as though I'm fighting them. And yes, you can disable acceleration.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 16:57:58 »
Personally, I really like the G700.

I can't do wired.
The cords simply don't last and I always feel as though I'm fighting them. And yes, you can disable acceleration.
G700 has a laser sensor, so there will always be a small amount of hardware acceleration.
Although with the G700 it doesn't matter at all, since if you needed so much control over your mouse that the laser accel is a problem then you wouldn't go wireless.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 16:35:55 »
G700 has a laser sensor, so there will always be a small amount of hardware acceleration.
Although with the G700 it doesn't matter at all, since if you needed so much control over your mouse that the laser accel is a problem then you wouldn't go wireless.
A lot of that whole argument is personal preference and arguments about older designs, most of which were terrible.

Some people actually prefer at least some acceleration and I would bet 99.9999% of people would never even notice laser acceleration in a game. A lot comes down to adjusting. As for the wireless lag, again, older argument and at this point wireless is good enough to where you could make just as compelling an argument about how much dragging the cord around effects your game (which was my problem and why I went wireless).

Yes, gaming on an older wireless and laser was bad. The first one that I thought could game even remotely decent on FPS was the Logitech Revolution (though I could still occasional detect lag and could still be twitchy on occasion). And while I admit, even on newer systems that lasers can be fickle regarding some mousepads (use fine cloth or hard, preferably the latter), most of the arguments against newer lasers and wireless are outdated and only matter on a benchmark.

Say what you want, but in games that show accuracy, I'm usually at the top.
Could I be better on a wired optical, it's possible, but if it's only going to net me one extra kill per 1000, I'll take wireless every time.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 16:48:17 »
A lot of that whole argument is personal preference and arguments about older designs, most of which were terrible.

Some people actually prefer at least some acceleration and I would bet 99.9999% of people would never even notice laser acceleration in a game. A lot comes down to adjusting. As for the wireless lag, again, older argument and at this point wireless is good enough to where you could make just as compelling an argument about how much dragging the cord around effects your game (which was my problem and why I went wireless).

Yes, gaming on an older wireless and laser was bad. The first one that I thought could game even remotely decent on FPS was the Logitech Revolution (though I could still occasional detect lag and could still be twitchy on occasion). And while I admit, even on newer systems that lasers can be fickle regarding some mousepads (use fine cloth or hard, preferably the latter), most of the arguments against newer lasers and wireless are outdated and only matter on a benchmark.

Say what you want, but in games that show accuracy, I'm usually at the top.
Could I be better on a wired optical, it's possible, but if it's only going to net me one extra kill per 1000, I'll take wireless every time.
I'm not going to tell you what's best for you, you already know that, I'm just making sure all the facts are straight.
You said that it's possible to disable acceleration on the G700, I'm merely saying that it will have some due to the sensor, that's all.

Personally I'm with you on the rest of what you said, although I do prefer wired over wireless as I like not having to worry about batteries, both the weight and charge.
Other than that I don't believe that the insignificant amounts of laser sensor accel or the possible wireless lag in something like the G700 will matter at all for the vast majority of gamers.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 17:31:00 »
I'm not going to tell you what's best for you, you already know that, I'm just making sure all the facts are straight.
You said that it's possible to disable acceleration on the G700, I'm merely saying that it will have some due to the sensor, that's all.

Personally I'm with you on the rest of what you said, although I do prefer wired over wireless as I like not having to worry about batteries, both the weight and charge.
Other than that I don't believe that the insignificant amounts of laser sensor accel or the possible wireless lag in something like the G700 will matter at all for the vast majority of gamers.
All good points as well.
The weight is a bit of a bummer, though the G700 isn't as bad as some, it is hefty (some like that too though).  At a lan party, or gaming competition, I could see wireless degrading with too many conflicting signals, but for home users, it shouldn't matter, especially if you are careful.

The battery life on the G700 is atrocious, especially if you crank up the sensor to max. The stock battery at max only lasted me around 6 or so hours of mixed browsing and gaming. On the other hand, it uses a standard 1900mah NIHM, so I swapped in a 2700mah and took the poll rate down a notch and was able to easily get a full day on it with pretty heavy use. After two years it's now conking out as I log off for bed (new battery time). I dislike the extra buttons and the texture and looks are cheap, however it's actually extremely well made and works great.

Something to note regarding wireless (and part of why it gets a bad rap), a lot of people just plug the sensor into the pc itself, which is fine for browsing, but I learned a long time ago that you induce A LOT of errors this way, especially as the battery power tapers off. It seems obvious when you think about it, but I see it on a daily basis. You want that receiver as close to the mouse as possible for less lag and interference, and on it's own port in the back, not the front of the computer. Front ports go through some cheap (often improperly shielded) wire, and a second connector. I keep my sensor only about 6 inches from my mouse. For all the crap Razor gets for the Black Widow, that side mounted USB port on the keyboard that many think is pointless, is actually a fantastic feature for wireless mice users (provided your receiver is small).
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline velvetdon25

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 07:50:09 »
G9x or Zowei FK for FPS.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 09:12:43 »
There are technical aspects (tracking, build quality, drivers) and there is the ergonomic factor...
Here the mouse is only half of the equation, the other half is YOU (how you prefer to hold and move the mouse).
I tried like a dozen different ones before I ended up with what I use now (G9 for UI/OS control, DeathAdder for gaming).

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 10:36:48 »
I like the crispness of the buttons on my g9x, however ergonomics wise I like the CM Xornet. It's one of those "everybodys different" things.

Yo Turbo, I heard from a video review that the G9X's right mouse click is very light and can accidentally get actuated when you're resting your finger on it. Is that normal? I'm having that problem right now with a recently purchased Death Adder 2013 and it's seriously pissing me the F off.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 13:27:23 »
Can be fixed by putting stuff under the button (thin sheet of foam or a V shaped springy metal leaf thingy).

Offline Yzeets

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 13:30:46 »
Intellimouse 3.0 and MX518 Have been the best and most popular mice since competitive PC FPS started, they don't make the 518 anymore but you can buy it's replacement, no need for a fancy useless "gaming mice", I've had  the same intellimouse 3.0 since 2005 when I played competitive cs 1.6 and it still works perfect, it may look like **** but it works

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2013, 13:32:46 by Yzeets »

Offline Saturn

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:33:26 »
I've had a MX 510, 518, G5, G9, G9x, and the G400 which is what I currently use.  G400 is the remake of the old 518 and I think you can't really do better.  Natural, comfortable shape, extremely accurate sensor with perfect 1:1 movement, and cheaper than fancier mice.  No onboard profiles, but you don't really need those anyway.

It also happens to be one of the few logitech mice that doesn't have the infamous high-pitched capacitor squeal that most of their mice exhibit.  It's not very loud, so you're only going to hear it if you have very good ears, but if you can hear it, it may drive you nuts.  See here for more details on that: http://jdc.koitsu.org/logitech/

Also, no braided cable.  Just a thin, light cable that doesn't pull like the heavier braided cables do.  The braiding is supposed to make the cable more durable, but it causes more problems than it solves when ultimately the cable bends or kinks, or the braiding gets pushed toward one direction and develops an odd bulge.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 01:58:18 »
For specifically FPS games (and only FPS games), I would go with the Deathadder. Its shape is really comfortable, and makes it really great for accuracy even, for FPS play.

I've tried the G9x, G700s (I'm using it now, actually), Razer Taipan, Steel Series Sensei, G400, Razer Abyssus, and Razer Mamba.

For RTS games, however, the Deathadder isn't the greatest, because it's slightly too fat, which makes it a bit awkward for those tiny, precise movements (whereas FPS games are more about swiping movements). Currently looking for a mouse that's good for both FPS and RTS games.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 July 2013, 02:01:26 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 11:19:38 »
this discussion is just like "what is the best gaming keyboard?"
it is subjective to the individual and the type of games they play.
lots of people bash on the steel series sensei. that is what I use and prefer. it is all preference.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 11:27:45 »
this discussion is just like "what is the best gaming keyboard?"
it is subjective to the individual and the type of games they play.
lots of people bash on the steel series sensei. that is what I use and prefer. it is all preference.

But there are far more differences in mice than in keyboards. Switching mouse can have a far bigger impact on your performance than a keyboard ever will with the exception of a few keyboard-driven games, which are often better with a fightstick or other controller anyways.
And this is mostly just a thread where people get to praise their favourite rather than a thread that seeks to find the end-all-be-all gaming mouse, since there is no such thing.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:37:06 »
I never fully realized just how much i loved my mx518 (which i used exclusively for several years), until i got my g700.

I do like the way the g700 feels in my hand, i do like the /option/ of extra buttons, i do like the scroll wheel... but the weight and its distribution are quite different, and the sensor is at the tip, rather than the middle, so it's an entirely different experience. I was all-tip, all the time, with the mx518, and the g700 has forced me to develop a sort of tip/claw hybrid. I just can't quite get completely comfortable with it, but i do think it's "a very good mouse." It's too bad my old mx518 is nastified and worn out. I suppose i could get a g500, or try a naga (because a thumb numberpad seems ideal, to me, and i dislike the design of the g600), but... meh. Whatever. I'm not a pro-gamer, so it doesn't matter that much. I also get irritated with my wrist-anchor spot getting grungy, and dust that settles on the giant goliathus mat, and the mouse feet start feeling sticky. The rubberized grip on the g700 gets icky for no apparent reason. I even washed it not long ago, and maintained my strict habit of always washing my hands before touching my peripherals, and it became sticky again almost immediately.

If not for the non-adjustable rotation speed in some games, i'd probably just use a 360 controller for everything (except typing, of course). I know xpadder can do mouse-mimic, and you can certainly control the speed there, and i'm sure you could map a mod-key to enable/disable max/min mouse-mimic-speed. In theory, you could simulate maximum "controlled" mouse movement speed. Not sure about snapping. Might just have to learn some creative combo-strafing or something, or take it as a handicap worth the comfort of a controller, versus required m/k posture.

The "best mouse" is probably almost always "whatever you feel most comfortable and accurate, while using."
Logitech G710+

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:44:27 »
I never fully realized just how much i loved my mx518 (which i used exclusively for several years), until i got my g700.

I do like the way the g700 feels in my hand, i do like the /option/ of extra buttons, i do like the scroll wheel... but the weight and its distribution are quite different, and the sensor is at the tip, rather than the middle, so it's an entirely different experience. I was all-tip, all the time, with the mx518, and the g700 has forced me to develop a sort of tip/claw hybrid. I just can't quite get completely comfortable with it, but i do think it's "a very good mouse." It's too bad my old mx518 is nastified and worn out. I suppose i could get a g500, or try a naga (because a thumb numberpad seems ideal, to me, and i dislike the design of the g600), but... meh. Whatever. I'm not a pro-gamer, so it doesn't matter that much. I also get irritated with my wrist-anchor spot getting grungy, and dust that settles on the giant goliathus mat, and the mouse feet start feeling sticky. The rubberized grip on the g700 gets icky for no apparent reason. I even washed it not long ago, and maintained my strict habit of always washing my hands before touching my peripherals, and it became sticky again almost immediately.

If not for the non-adjustable rotation speed in some games, i'd probably just use a 360 controller for everything (except typing, of course). I know xpadder can do mouse-mimic, and you can certainly control the speed there, and i'm sure you could map a mod-key to enable/disable max/min mouse-mimic-speed. In theory, you could simulate maximum "controlled" mouse movement speed. Not sure about snapping. Might just have to learn some creative combo-strafing or something, or take it as a handicap worth the comfort of a controller, versus required m/k posture.

The "best mouse" is probably almost always "whatever you feel most comfortable and accurate, while using."

or you could buy a new mx518
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50

edit: cheaper on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/logitech-mx518

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:08:16 »

The G700 has horrible weight distribution, pretty much anything will feel better. If you want the Naga primarily for the numpad then I highly recommend giving the G600 a go, since the G600 numpad(and configuration software) is miles better. I have to say that I prefer the shape of the Naga for general use, but the numpad and software is pretty much useless compared to the G600.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:39:43 »
The one thing i didn't like about the mx518 is that it felt "too long," even though the g700 manages to feel uncomfortable in a similar way, despite it's "shorter" design. If only there were some sort of tiny tip-grip mouse, with a thumb numberpad and a nice scroll wheel like the g700. :P

I haven't held a g600, but it seems like it would be too wide, and it "looks heavy," but i haven't looked at the specs to compare weight.

I've actually been considering converting to trackball, lately. Or maybe just mapping all relevant mouse functions to a 360 pad...
Logitech G710+

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 16:07:53 »
The one thing i didn't like about the mx518 is that it felt "too long," even though the g700 manages to feel uncomfortable in a similar way, despite it's "shorter" design. If only there were some sort of tiny tip-grip mouse, with a thumb numberpad and a nice scroll wheel like the g700. :P

I haven't held a g600, but it seems like it would be too wide, and it "looks heavy," but i haven't looked at the specs to compare weight.

I've actually been considering converting to trackball, lately. Or maybe just mapping all relevant mouse functions to a 360 pad...

The G600 does have a chunky appearance so it looks larger than it is, but just from picking up the G600 and the Naga from my drawer I'd say the Naga is heavier. The only issue with the G600 is that it might be a bit trickier to pick up if you use low sens, but at higher sensitivities it's amazing.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:53:38 »

If you're looking for a "tiny tip-grip mouse, with a thumb numberpad and a nice scroll wheel like the g700", then the Naga should be perfect for you. Though I've never compared it to a G600, and so vun's comments about the Naga having horrible software may be true, in terms of grip, the Naga allows a pretty good claw/tip-grip. I was kind of surprised by it (in a good way), actually. It doesn't have the scroll wheel of a G700 either, but, we can't have everything. =P

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 21:12:51 »

If you're looking for a "tiny tip-grip mouse, with a thumb numberpad and a nice scroll wheel like the g700", then the Naga should be perfect for you. Though I've never compared it to a G600, and so vun's comments about the Naga having horrible software may be true, in terms of grip, the Naga allows a pretty good claw/tip-grip. I was kind of surprised by it (in a good way), actually. It doesn't have the scroll wheel of a G700 either, but, we can't have everything. =P

If you want claw grip the the Naga is better, as the Naga 2012 has interchangable side grips, one of them being for claw grip.

Also, the Naga software isn't really terrible, it just does nothing to make assigning a two-layered numpad easier, whereas the G600 is nice and easy in every aspect, from the physical shape of the numpad to the lists of built-in commands ready to drag and drop onto buttons in the software.

I was also surprised by the Naga, actually, I really like the shape of it and the numpad, while fairly useless for me, isn't really in the way so if you're looking at the Naga just for the shape then it's amazing. The G600 numpad I've found is a bit in the way in FPS, since it's easier to accidentally press it while moving the mouse around, but in return the numpad is miles better.