Author Topic: [IC] GMK Fright Club Volume 1: Hell Week || IC form and Changelog added  (Read 29567 times)

Offline Dotnick

Hello everyone!
Welcome to GMK Fright Club volume 1, Hell Week, a set inspired by classic movie monsters from old Hollywood horror up to present day.

Don't talk about it, you know rule #1.

Interest Check Form

Kits

Renders

No. 1/60 by Keycult

PulsarXT by Zepsody

No. 2 by Keycult

Ibis by Hiney

Manta by Dotnick & Zepsody

NK65v2 - aluminum edition in Alien Green

NK87 - aluminum edition in Cosmic Purple

Deskmats

Sampling underway, stay tuned for pictures.

Changelog
More
August 14, 2022
  • 2.00U shifts are being added to the base kits and the accent modifiers kit.
  • "Nick" sublegend will be removed from the Shakedown base kit.
  • The base grey and the darker grey legend colors are being tested for alternatives due to complaints about contrast/color harmony.
  • The "9" alphas key sublegend will be changed from "11" to "-1-1".
  • The R1 row modifiers ("<- Backspace", "Eliminate") will be changed to purple from blue. The R2 mod pipe key legends will be changed to blue from purple to match the "Tab/Stab" key on the left side of the keyset.
  • A second deskmat design was cut from the set before posting the IC, this is being reworked and added to the set.

Vendors

USNovelKeys
CAAshkeebs
UKproto[Typist]
EUOblotzky
SEAiLumKB
CNzFrontier
OCESwitchKeys

Groupbuy will run from October 17th - November 4th, 2022.

Credits

ZTMD
Nephlock
Gajible for the photos of the IMSTO BoB/BoG Hangul set that originally inspired this colorway
Everyone in my discord server

Thank you for your support. Please join my discord for updates on this set and artisan collaborations!

Signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118089.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/GGNhrLw.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2022, 22:00:03 by Dotnick »

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
Re: [IC] GMK Fright Club Volume 1: Hell Week
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 03:37:21 »
it's cool i guess, alternate base is okay.

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 05:53:20 »
Why is this in IC section when there is no IC to fill out? Its just advertising at this point. Mods should remove this

Offline soundstage

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 05:57:06 »
Where is the IC form?

Offline rookb

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 06:07:05 »
Im sorry but are you colourblind? this looks awful

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 06:35:49 »
I very much enjoy the design, especially the second base kit with the novelty text mods and the extra legends on the alphas.

I think that the kitting is very good, with the single issue being the lack of non-accented 3u spacebars.

I think that the colourway is difficult. I am not sure what sort of keyboard I would put this on and expect it to look good.

The lack of an IC Form is perplexing?

I think I would buy this if the colourway excited me more, or if it came at a fantastic price at my regional vendor.

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 08:50:41 »
How about you stop clocking the gmk que with uninspired pepega **** like this...
Not to mention that this isn't an ic at all...

Offline OJtheTiny

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 08:56:22 »
where IC?

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 09:38:23 »
Novelkeys has been doing non-ic ics since olivia++, what gets me the most is still using the term group buys for these obvious pre order windows. This one lasts a measly two weeks and will likely be a solid price to artificially incite fomo and get people to pull out their wallets. However, right after the "group buy" window closes it'll bump up $20-40 and ACTUALLY use the term pre order correctly to sell extras until it ships.

There is absolutely no community effort required to get this keyset made, nor does it look like any intention to reach out to the community to gauge for changes to kitting, or if there is actual interest. Mike likely thought this was a great keyset and something he wanted 3000 in stock units of in the warehouse to eventually slash down to $99 in five years.

The upsetting part is I like this keyset idea a lot it's a ton of fun and the accent mods are such a fun addition. I just worry about color matching timelines as usual with these projects with such a huge scope and amount of colors. I'm trying to work on my compliment sandwich but the effort here can only afford you one piece of bread.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 August 2022, 09:48:32 by Kokaloo »

Offline herbologist

• beige enjoyer. send help.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 10:26:31 »
Gmk Halloween dualshot.

Above criticisms are valid for sure. I'm not so sure those colors are it. Personally not a fan.

Edit: wow that deskmat is seriously low effort. Why bother.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Skok

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 12:53:02 »
Mike likely thought this was a great keyset and something he wanted 3000 in stock units of in the warehouse to eventually slash down to $99 in five years.

ruthless

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 15:24:52 »
Kokaloo I really like your third paragraph.

Offline MSA_Vision

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 16:09:34 »
Mandatory color comparison chart with 10 other sets is missing in this GB post.
Sic Parvis Magna

Offline Udyrstruidor

• uga uga
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 17:05:27 »
[Non-IC]
Poseidon60 | GrayStudio Space65 R1 | Ikki68 Aurora | CannonKeys Bakeneko60 | Gok 7V | NotFromSam Samice | CableCarDesigns Prophet | Geonworks Frog TKL | FancyAlice | Aeboards Praxis R2 | HHKB Pro BT | Geonworks F2-84 | UTD 360C | Elongate | Realforce 87u | GrayStudio Space65 R3 | TGR Jane v2 ME | TGR x Singa Unikorn R2.2 | Singa Kohaku65 R1 | Cherry G80-1824HBU | Matrix 8xv 3.0 | CableCarDesigns Prophet | Daji Seis Cero

Offline bshendy

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 21:17:24 »
Not trying to make accusations or anything, is this like a Novelkeys thing to run novelty kits in this kinda format?

290248-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 August 2022, 21:19:21 by bshendy »

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 21:59:19 »
The butthurt's a little too strong in here don't you guys think?

There's some cool concepts in here. I suggest you stick to 1 base and force accents in base. Accents make the set imo.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 August 2022, 22:58:36 »
If you're still taking suggestions/the kittings are still subject to change:

- Any chance to include regular R4 1u . (dot) without the "Nick" text on both base kits?
- Would love to see more red accent modifiers in 1.5u size instead of just only two 1.25u's on the Decorum kit

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 00:38:57 »
looks at Mictlán - looks at dualshot - :-* now kiss :-*

In all seriousness though, although this set is definitely not for me, some of the kitting choices are just confusing, and I hope there is time to improve them.
-There are both mod arrows and legend-colored (I'm not sure what exactly to call them because they're not accents) in base, but then have actual accents in novelties? looks at Mictlán Oh I get it now.
-You have a big base AND a separate bottom row accents kit and 0 2u shifts anywhere? Why? It would be one thing if you had very minimalistic kitting but you don't.
-Color placement on R1 and R2 mods seems inconsistent between pink and R2 tab color. All of your other mods that aren't bottom row are row-consistent. Why the discrepancy?
-Again, same complaint with arrows as I had with Mictlán. Up arrow would look much better as the same color as the shift keys imo.
-Looking at accent spacebars, I see that there are 0 renders with them. I recommend making test renders of setups with those accent spacebar colors and rethink color placement on that. Seems like an afterthought.

Turning to the alternate mod kit, this is where the creativity from the designer shows through on this set. However, uh....is that all new DS molds, not UV? Is NK paying for that, or are those going to be in the price of the kit? If so, BOY that is going to be an expensive kit. Oh, and remove the numrow sublegends, they break the flow of the alphas imo. Overall the kit is creative but too busy for my taste.

Best of luck with your non-ic ic.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 08:43:44 »
Just wanted to clear up some misconceptions you may have.

Novelkeys has been doing non-ic ics since olivia++, what gets me the most is still using the term group buys for these obvious pre order windows. This one lasts a measly two weeks and will likely be a solid price to artificially incite fomo and get people to pull out their wallets. However, right after the "group buy" window closes it'll bump up $20-40 and ACTUALLY use the term pre order correctly to sell extras until it ships.

This is not true at all. We have never done what you're saying. We actually (since our website relaunch) only use the term preorder, as that is what it is for us. We believe in the design enough to say that there is no MOQ, and it will be made. Once our preorder window closes (in this case 2 weeks as we noticed there really is no point to do longer) the design remains unavailable until after the preorder ships. We do not have another window of purchases (some other vendors may do this, but we do not).

There is absolutely no community effort required to get this keyset made, nor does it look like any intention to reach out to the community to gauge for changes to kitting, or if there is actual interest. Mike likely thought this was a great keyset and something he wanted 3000 in stock units of in the warehouse to eventually slash down to $99 in five years.

True that there is no community effort needed to get this made. However, this is still an IC, and feedback is being accounted for. Just like with puddsy's latest set, feedback was considered and the kitting changed. While I have never ordered 3,000 sets of single base kit, I do believe in trying to order the largest amount we can. I do this because I dont want to feed the hype machine, and want to make sure everyone can purchase a set if they want one.

The upsetting part is I like this keyset idea a lot it's a ton of fun and the accent mods are such a fun addition. I just worry about color matching timelines as usual with these projects with such a huge scope and amount of colors. I'm trying to work on my compliment sandwich but the effort here can only afford you one piece of bread.

Color matching has sped up with GMK, and we have not had any issues with color matching delaying a set. I don't see this being an issue.

The part that upsets me the most with a majority of your comments is that you are so negative, and always try to get a punch in on someone. Its cyber bullying to an extent, and I am not even sure that you see how you treat the "community." Take your energy and do something positive with it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2022, 08:47:24 by mgsickler »

Offline andromache

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 09:30:51 »
I love the accent colors and wish one of the base kits had forced accents just for my personal buying convenience.

Novelties are great. I only wish there was an enter novelty design as well.

Agree with what was said above that there should be an option for a . key without the "nick" on it. (Ideally in both base kits, but definitely in the "normie" base kit.)

Missed opportunity on the deskmat design, IMO, unless you have a second design in the works already. You could really lean into the classic movie monster aesthetic, do a whole movie poster and/or "film scene" using the characters that were created in the novelty designs. I just love artsy deskmats though lol.

Offline weekendkeyboard

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 09:50:00 »
Combat Training oooooo - Reserved  :)

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 10:16:52 »

This is not true at all. We have never done what you're saying. We actually (since our website relaunch) only use the term preorder, as that is what it is for us. We believe in the design enough to say that there is no MOQ, and it will be made. Once our preorder window closes (in this case 2 weeks as we noticed there really is no point to do longer) the design remains unavailable until after the preorder ships. We do not have another window of purchases (some other vendors may do this, but we do not).

True that there is no community effort needed to get this made. However, this is still an IC, and feedback is being accounted for. Just like with puddsy's latest set, feedback was considered and the kitting changed. While I have never ordered 3,000 sets of single base kit, I do believe in trying to order the largest amount we can. I do this because I dont want to feed the hype machine, and want to make sure everyone can purchase a set if they want one.

Color matching has sped up with GMK, and we have not had any issues with color matching delaying a set. I don't see this being an issue.

The part that upsets me the most with a majority of your comments is that you are so negative, and always try to get a punch in on someone. Its cyber bullying to an extent, and I am not even sure that you see how you treat the "community." Take your energy and do something positive with it.
this is it I think
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 12:09:04 »
tbh im a sucker for that pastel lime green

the set itself is a bit too gray for my liking, not much you could change about that though.

I just really like that green man

also reserving my seats for the cage match in advance
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2022, 12:13:03 by Krelbit »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 12:27:41 »

I'll attempt to convince you that I'm not overly negative to bait responses from vendors or get some internet points. These kinds of sales tactics and interest checks are pretty scary since it mostly removes you and anyone else attempting to run product for the community from the community you're depending on. I don't want to see NK or others become a faceless shop that does whatever they want, as I've seen others do. Maybe I'm a bit too assuming and over exaggerating.

There should have been an ic form. That's the best way to people to provide feedback without committing to a post on this forum which lots of people don't like to do. Thats how ics have been done for years here and anything straying from that puts people in a loop. I'm also in the belief that if you have a date set to run that a price is likely decided on too and wondering why that can't be public information if there's very little evidence to support that op is taking feedback. In stock GMK is great nobody is going to argue against that, but what community support do you expect to see if a store is filled with things decided by vendors rather than hobbyists?

That's great about color matching but just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it can't. I'm trying again not to come off as so negative, working on it, more so just concerned about the turn things have taken since the pandemic. More sets and more money isn't bad, but lots more of these interest checks popping up have little or nothing to do with community. I think if stuff like this is just ran and there's no where for people  to voice their concerns that's just further warp this hobby into being less special than I feel like it is.

I keyboard a bit too hard sometimes, but it's not because I'm mean or ill intended. Don't be concerned about my energy for a second, I go to meetups, I socialize, I talk about how fun this all is every single day. If everything was just an online storefront without outlets like this or discord that were founded on community ran projects this whole thing would be nothing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2022, 12:35:13 by Kokaloo »

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 12:56:49 »
I'm not trying to get into an argument, or start drama. So this will be probably be the last time I respond, as I would like to see this stay on topic.

I'll attempt to convince you that I'm not overly negative to bait responses from vendors or get some internet points. These kinds of sales tactics and interest checks are pretty scary since it mostly removes you and anyone else attempting to run product for the community from the community you're depending on. I don't want to see NK or others become a faceless shop that does whatever they want, as I've seen others do. Maybe I'm a bit too assuming and over exaggerating.

To be honest, its hard to see anything other than that. Anytime I see your name pop up, I can assume you are either meming, being mean, or promoting your own stuff. My initial reply was that you are mistaken on your comments. We never did anything you claimed.

There should have been an ic form. That's the best way to people to provide feedback without committing to a post on this forum which lots of people don't like to do. Thats how ics have been done for years here and anything straying from that puts people in a loop. I'm also in the belief that if you have a date set to run that a price is likely decided on too and wondering why that can't be public information if there's very little evidence to support that op is taking feedback. In stock GMK is great nobody is going to argue against that, but what community support do you expect to see if a store is filled with things decided by vendors rather than hobbyists?

This is up to the designers and how they want to do it. I don't have any requirements for designers using GH, IC forms, etc. There is no pricing, as the kitting has not been submitted to GMK yet. I would assume we are going to push hard with it, and try to keep it around our other recent sets - $99 base kit. This is just a complete guess and I may be wrong and it could be $10-$20 higher.

Honestly, IC forms rarely help as a lot of people who reply never end up purchasing or participating. People who are actually engaged and want the set would be more prone to post a reply to the thread.

That's great about color matching but just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it can't. I'm trying again not to come off as so negative, working on it, more so just concerned about the turn things have taken since the pandemic. More sets and more money isn't bad, but lots more of these interest checks popping up have little or nothing to do with community. I think if stuff like this is just ran and there's no where for people  to voice their concerns that's just further warp this hobby into being less special than I feel like it is.

I keyboard a bit too hard sometimes, but it's not because I'm mean or ill intended. Don't be concerned about my energy for a second, I go to meetups, I socialize, I talk about how fun this all is every single day. If everything was just an online storefront without outlets like this or discord that were founded on community ran projects this whole thing would be nothing.

Thats such a hypothetical though. Just because it hasnt happened doesnt mean it cant? There is no basis here, and nothing to really reply to here.

If you're not trying to come across as ill intended or mean, I think youre missing the mark. I know other vendors and members who stop using GH because of replies like yours. They're not welcoming or constructive, and push people away.

I have no intention of becoming a faceless vendor, in fact quite the opposite. We started our own discord recently where I regularly communicate, and although a bit slow, I post updates on our youtube channel. We also are hosting our own yearly meetup for the community to come and hang out. We aim to not make any money whatsoever at our meetup, and actually pay a decent chunk to have a fun and active convention for those in the community.

Feel free to message me if you want to continue this discussion!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 13:24:28 »
No I don't think I will. If you find interest check forms useless then maybe refrain from having your products posted in the interest check sub forum.

Offline ManiacMarc

• Twitch
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 13:25:30 »
In in in Nvm, imma just wait for an OTC Dualshot
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2022, 13:38:02 by ManiacMarc »

Offline smshark

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 13:30:15 »
While I understand that 95% of IC form feedback is not useful, it does feel like a useful exercise to at least take the 5% chance of getting truly valuable feedback - especially if the set is pre-order and doesn’t rely on community feedback to confirm that the decisions made are ones the community is fond of (meeting MOQ would be the usual proxy for this). Also, given the lack of form/private feedback, the feedback you receive on threads will likely be limited to folks who are frequent posters on geekhack and you’ll get the same voices whether or not they are interested in the set.

Just my two cents. I don’t think the argument is actually that you’re not in it for the community, but rather that it *feels* a lot less like a community project if you present a mostly-completed set with pre-order start date and only a thread (and/or discord channel) to provide input. You’re not Drop, we know that, but the process does feel similar and I think it’s OK to acknowledge that :) GL with the set and thank you for keeping in-stock GMK sets (as an aside)

Offline zhol

• zhol
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 13:59:49 »
idk man, it seems kinda predictable that an IC appearing without a cross-platform means to receive feedback could come off as hostile and receive a negative reaction from the community that would usually support it to make it exist, a community that usually expects to provide feedback in multiple channels to support a set. there being only 2 months between the announcement of this new set and its GB doesn't feel like enough time to develop a sufficient amount of organic interest in it, and the lead vendor supporting it suggesting that IC forms are near useless ("rarely help") is the real cherry on top.

anyways i wish the accent arrows were placed with the other accent kit so i could buy just that. the 9/11 key is also very funny to me.
i'm zhol

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 14:25:05 »
If you are open to feedback, I really think the “nick” sublegend should be removed from the base without sublegends, or at least offer a plain “.” key and don’t force one random sublegend.

I would also consider a different/reworked sublegend for 9. I know your intention was nine-one-one but my initial reaction was to read it as nine-eleven due to to the color differences. Maybe 9 -1-1 would work better.

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 14:34:02 »
I’d thought the nick on the numpad period in shakedown was a typo.

I’m still buying if it’s not. Like the colors.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 15:10:56 »
While I understand that 95% of IC form feedback is not useful, it does feel like a useful exercise to at least take the 5% chance of getting truly valuable feedback - especially if the set is pre-order and doesn’t rely on community feedback to confirm that the decisions made are ones the community is fond of (meeting MOQ would be the usual proxy for this). Also, given the lack of form/private feedback, the feedback you receive on threads will likely be limited to folks who are frequent posters on geekhack and you’ll get the same voices whether or not they are interested in the set.

Just my two cents. I don’t think the argument is actually that you’re not in it for the community, but rather that it *feels* a lot less like a community project if you present a mostly-completed set with pre-order start date and only a thread (and/or discord channel) to provide input. You’re not Drop, we know that, but the process does feel similar and I think it’s OK to acknowledge that :) GL with the set and thank you for keeping in-stock GMK sets (as an aside)

If you are open to feedback, I really think the “nick” sublegend should be removed from the base without sublegends, or at least offer a plain “.” key and don’t force one random sublegend.

I would also consider a different/reworked sublegend for 9. I know your intention was nine-one-one but my initial reaction was to read it as nine-eleven due to to the color differences. Maybe 9 -1-1 would work better.

I’d thought the nick on the numpad period in shakedown was a typo.

I’m still buying if it’s not. Like the colors.

Feedback all taken! Dotnick is currently out of town, but we have been talking some and once he is back in town, he will be making a post as well.

Online white_rabbit

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 15:41:52 »
An R2 Esc key with the corresponding R2 mod legend color would be nice.

Offline KeyBros_

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 15:55:02 »
I like it but I don't like the GB date :(

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 16:13:06 »
Honestly, IC forms rarely help as a lot of people who reply never end up purchasing or participating. People who are actually engaged and want the set would be more prone to post a reply to the thread.

What?

This is an incredibly bad take.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 18:54:30 »

What?

This is a bad take. People who reply but never purchase are still participating by giving feedback. There's lots of experts in this forum that are happy to provide advice to help a GB even if they don't like the theme or colours, and you're losing the opportunity to leverage that by discounting IC forms like this.

If you only care about the customers for a given set, why even post on GeekHack?

Offline keekzmreed

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 19:08:46 »
So much drama in one forum post. This is fun to watch!
I personally like the pastel colors on the mods more than the normal colors on dualshot. Im definitely in for a base kit, but agree with everyone saying you should remove the nick on the numpad key.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2022, 19:14:06 by keekzmreed »

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 19:23:28 »

What?

This is a bad take. People who reply but never purchase are still participating by giving feedback. There's lots of experts in this forum that are happy to provide advice to help a GB even if they don't like the theme or colours, and you're losing the opportunity to leverage that by discounting IC forms like this.

If you only care about the customers for a given set, why even post on GeekHack?

Please dont confuse me for the designer/OP. If Dotnick wants to post an IC form, and it helps him, thats great. My personal experience has been very poor with IC form responses.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2022, 19:27:01 by mgsickler »

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 20:50:39 »
While we're at IC forms, I personally like them and prefer that to posting my own reply. The designer/maker can ask the important questions in that form and requires the users to fill them out (prelube yes or no, typing angle how many degrees, what colors do you like, etc..) and the form can generate intuitive charts and graphs for easier decision making.

Offline XiXora

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 21:42:34 »
Would love 1.5u supers and extra 1u alt in the normal legend kit (as I prefer normal legends) but it looks pretty cool.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 22:00:13 »
Hey everyone, thanks for all of the feedback here.

I want to start by completely apologizing for formatting this IC in a way that was averse to taking feedback and being open to change. Truthfully, I posted this as an IC two months before the groupbuy date to be able to field feedback and make the necessary changes that everyone suggests, so it was really just my fault for not conveying this. I hold my hands up for not including an IC form. An IC form has been added at the top of the IC, as well as a changelog further down addressing a few suggestions people have made already. Please check the changelog to see what changes are already being worked on.

In response to the claims about color comparisons to other sets, I just want to say that I started designing this set about 18 months ago and it was always my intention to design this set using a more neutral base color with highlights to match the theme. Naturally, it was always going to be a bit difficult to find the "sweet spot" in between the other sets that are going after a similar design style and neutral color tone, especially when others have come into existence in this timeframe. I have tried my best here, while trying to stay true to how I'd like the set to look. With that being said, I'm not immune to realizing that what I like may not be everyone else's cup of tea. So, a darker alternative is being explored thanks to your feedback to achieve a better contrast with the highlights while maintaining the grey/black-on-grey feel.

There were a lot of concepts/novelties/things left on the cutting room floor with this set in order to get things down to a manageable price/number of kits. Please suggest what you'd like to see added because there may have already been things designed that can be *almost* immediately added in if this is the case.

A few smaller things to add:
More
  • To help with visualizing the set's colors I'll be providing the same board renders with both light and dark backgrounds, just allow some time to get these done.
  • The price for the accent modifiers kit (Decorum kit) will not factor in new mold cost, as the cost for these custom legends will be addressed initially in the Combat Training base kit.
  • The Mess Hall deskmat was designed to be simple to more or less "get out of the way" of everything happening in the keyset. I understand this pattern might be a bit simple (although please zoom in, there are a series of effects applied that make every eye slightly different). I'll be adding a second deskmat that provides more of a pop than the Mess Hall mat does.
  • Candidly, I've always found ANSI enter novelty designs difficult to design for. So, if you would like to suggest ideas for this in the IC form, do so, I don't mind adding something in (there is already an ISO enter novelty but it felt awkward only having one enter design so it was cut).

Again, thanks for all of the comments.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2022, 22:02:41 by Dotnick »

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
Re: [IC] GMK Fright Club Volume 1: Hell Week || IC form and Changelog added
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 23:33:34 »
  • "Nick" sublegend will be removed from the Shakedown base kit.

Combat training base should have an additional key with a different sublegend or no sub at all. It's tacky.
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 23:34:38 »
really nice changes so far, excited to see some visuals of the changes
i personally really like the lack of contrast i feel that helps highlight the colorful mods a bit more, but i'll hold onto that until i see whatever you have in mind

Offline Nuap

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 23:50:53 »

What?

Please dont confuse me for the designer/OP. If Dotnick wants to post an IC form, and it helps him, thats great. My personal experience has been very poor with IC form responses.

Seemed like you were answering for DotNick there. Glad to see that an IC form has been posted.

I provided some feedback to DotNick in the feedback form, most notably suggesting the addition of an R3 1.75u Control key to the accents kit, in the same purple as the R4 Control keys.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 08:30:04 »
Y'all know designers can post forms but totally ignore them right?

I've always been of the mindset that if enough people want a meaningful change to one of my sets, they can leave a comment on the thread, and if there's enough people saying something, I'll see what I can do about it.

Not to say Nick is going to ignore the form, but it's not some binding contract to implement feedback lol.

Offline spartaman64

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 10:01:24 »
also i think theres merit to having the discussion be in a public forum where people can see each other's posts so they can bounce ideas off each other instead of being in a private google form.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 10:37:13 »
Y'all know designers can post forms but totally ignore them right?

I've always been of the mindset that if enough people want a meaningful change to one of my sets, they can leave a comment on the thread, and if there's enough people saying something, I'll see what I can do about it.

Not to say Nick is going to ignore the form, but it's not some binding contract to implement feedback lol.

Of course an IC form is not a binding contract to implement feedback, I don't think that anyone said that or implied that. However, there is something of value gained by having a separate form where people can provide feedback that's not on geekhack. Some people may find this post from places that aren't geekhack, and would prefer not to navigate this site's posting mechanisms. Some people feel more comfortable giving feedback "in private" anonymously rather than in a public message that everyone can read (and potentially get roasted for). Others would like to indicate their interest in buying certain kits as well, and indicate that they are not only giving specific feedback but are also a potential buyer, not just a geekhack user. And hell, some people would just like an email ping to remind them to buy a set they saw 2 months ago and thought was super cool. I see no practical reason not to have a separate IC form for a post in the IC subforum.

It is true that some of the people who reply never end up purchasing or participating. However it's clear looking at the numbers across many sets that IC form numbers often correlate to sales loosely. Of course, IC forms will never give you an exact number of future sales in a GB, but they can give you a general idea of how well a set will sell. I'm sure that if you look at the IC forms behind Mictlan, Voynich, Terror Below, and other sets that were hyped by the community AND sold well their IC forms will have an above average number of submissions.

The idea that people who are actually engaged and want the set would be more prone to post a reply to the thread is confusing to me. The majority of people who fill out IC forms ime (and talking to many other designers) are not constant, regular geekhack users, but users of other forums and sites such as reddit that find out about the set and want to see the "main" informational post on geekhack. Additionally, IC responses to interest in specific kits compared to others and general feedback has been crucial for me with both my sets in navigating kitting choices, and I have talked to many designers who have used IC responses to make important kitting decisions. For those reasons, and the reasons in my response to pwade above, I must disagree with your quoted statement.

edit: minor word choice edited for clarity
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 August 2022, 10:39:12 by Cylent »

Offline bshendy

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 10:45:58 »
Not trying to make accusations or anything, is this like a Novelkeys thing to run novelty kits in this kinda format?

(Attachment Link)

Just a response on this; This is what I received from mgsickler, "somewhat actually. we do like having a varied of support for 65%, which also translates to 75% and XT layouts too. we really like themed sets and want to use them as much as possible. but we dont require anything like that"

So it seems like NK was definitely interested in going in this direction as long as the designer is on board too.

As far as feedback on the set itself, I like several components of the set. I think the gloomy palette is definitely unique, but it takes some time for my eyes to get used to it since I'm searching for contrast somewhere that would make this set pop out from afar. Definitely like the UV sub-legends. gl with ic/gb

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 11:21:32 »
Please continue this IC form discussion elsewhere, so we can stay on-topic.

Thanks.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 11:28:26 »
So is the base gray custom?  I dont see a listing of colors anywhere.

Offline chat and team

« Reply #50 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 12:01:18 »

What?

its not a bad take
its a right take
i don't engage in any ics yet i still buy  and when i do reply i dont buy
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 12:31:32 »

I will be putting together a render comparison to similar sets.

The base grey and the darker grey legend are not GMK stock colors. The base grey is a similar shade to GMK 2B, slightly lighter but a more green tone. This darker grey for the legends is several shades lighter than GMK N9, if that helps in the meantime. The accents for the set will be new for GMK, but the new colormatching equipment GMK's using gives me a lot more confidence in being able to match several colors than how things were done previously.

Also, all colors are physical references I confirmed in person with plastic, not paper. So, we won't have the issue of matching plastic to HEX colors, or even discrepancies between paper guide references and the corresponding plastic reference and how that converts to GMK ABS samples.

I prefer not to list colors for my sets for several reasons. The main reason being to avoid overly similar clones from being made. I can't stop cloning, but I can prevent the clones from getting too close to the final GMK product. It seems to have worked so far with GMK Lavender and Chaos Theory, but that could be for lack of trying as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my mentality here.

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 12:33:03 »
Looks really nice!

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 15:25:57 »

(Attachment Link)

>kits in this kinda format
>shows 2 kits that are not the slightest bit similar

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 15:43:37 »

I will be putting together a render comparison to similar sets.

The base grey and the darker grey legend are not GMK stock colors. The base grey is a similar shade to GMK 2B, slightly lighter but a more green tone. This darker grey for the legends is several shades lighter than GMK N9, if that helps in the meantime. The accents for the set will be new for GMK, but the new colormatching equipment GMK's using gives me a lot more confidence in being able to match several colors than how things were done previously.

Also, all colors are physical references I confirmed in person with plastic, not paper. So, we won't have the issue of matching plastic to HEX colors, or even discrepancies between paper guide references and the corresponding plastic reference and how that converts to GMK ABS samples.

I prefer not to list colors for my sets for several reasons. The main reason being to avoid overly similar clones from being made. I can't stop cloning, but I can prevent the clones from getting too close to the final GMK product. It seems to have worked so far with GMK Lavender and Chaos Theory, but that could be for lack of trying as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my mentality here.

Sounds very nice.  Looking forward to the group buy.  Novelties are perfecto

Offline LMarci

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 18:17:40 »
Gonna be honest I don't like how this looks

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 19:53:05 »
My feedback:

1.) The shakedown kit doesn't do it for me, and the set without at least the custom mods feels detached from the theme.
2.) I don't like the multi color sub legends on the NumPad. As a heavy numpad user, this detracts value to me. Please consider making all the teal color.

The accent/legend colors are unique. The novs are GREAT. Kudos to the artist who did them.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 20:16:12 »
My feedback:

1.) The shakedown kit doesn't do it for me, and the set without at least the custom mods feels detached from the theme.
2.) I don't like the multi color sub legends on the NumPad. As a heavy numpad user, this detracts value to me. Please consider making all the teal color.

The accent/legend colors are unique. The novs are GREAT. Kudos to the artist who did them.

There was some feedback on the numpad sublegend colors, all have been changed to the same color (teal).

Also, I did the novelties, so thank you!

Offline chrisw

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 09:46:31 »
love it :eek:

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 10:27:11 »
Idk. Maybe I just missed the first round of bad renders or something, but I like this set a lot. Especially the novelties. I don't really understand what the combat training sub legends are supposed to be though, so I think I'd just be in for the regular base kit.

Offline Oni

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 01:34:05 »
Idk. Maybe I just missed the first round of bad renders or something, but I like this set a lot. Especially the novelties. I don't really understand what the combat training sub legends are supposed to be though, so I think I'd just be in for the regular base kit.

The sub legends in that kit spell out a word with the corresponding letter. So A + XE is AXE, S + TUN is STUN, and so on.

Collection: Special Whale, Montage, Infinitum, Kei

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 09:09:03 »

The sub legends in that kit spell out a word with the corresponding letter. So A + XE is AXE, S + TUN is STUN, and so on.

Oh. Yeah, no thanks, lol

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 10:05:24 »

Oh. Yeah, no thanks, lol

I can certainly see why someone wouldn't like the sub legends, but that's why it's only one of the two options available.  The theme of the set is fun spooky Hollywood monsters.  I love the vibe and the sub legends make it really lighthearted and amusing.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 11:01:54 »

Oh. Yeah, no thanks, lol

I can certainly see why someone wouldn't like the sub legends, but that's why it's only one of the two options available.  The theme of the set is fun spooky Hollywood monsters.  I love the vibe and the sub legends make it really lighthearted and amusing.

Thanks!

Yeah, candidly, I knew going into designing them that they wouldn't be for everyone. I tried to be as concise about kitting the alphas/mods styles as possible, and knowing that some may not like the sublegends and/or the text mod novelties, I wanted to offer direct replacements for both in a separate base kit. I thought about every combination and this seemed to make the most sense.

Luckily, if you do buy both base kits, you actually have four possible base kit combinations to choose from with the different alphas and modifiers. I personally think that's going to be pretty high value overall, moreso than just having the sublegends alphas as a break-out kit.

Ultimately, I think the colors speak for themselves (this was a big point for me in the design process), and that's where I found that the Shakedown base kit offers a simpler version of the theme for people who aren't about using the more heavily themed aspects.

Offline andromache

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 11:51:29 »

Ultimately, I think the colors speak for themselves (this was a big point for me in the design process)

I hope putting the accents in base kit (or even maybe just the Shakedown base kit) is being considered! They really make the set. Anyone who wants all gray should have to pay the extra kit tax  :)).

Offline Starston3

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 12:29:32 »

Oh. Yeah, no thanks, lol

Thanks!

Yeah, candidly, I knew going into designing them that they wouldn't be for everyone. I tried to be as concise about kitting the alphas/mods styles as possible, and knowing that some may not like the sublegends and/or the text mod novelties, I wanted to offer direct replacements for both in a separate base kit. I thought about every combination and this seemed to make the most sense.

Luckily, if you do buy both base kits, you actually have four possible base kit combinations to choose from with the different alphas and modifiers. I personally think that's going to be pretty high value overall, moreso than just having the sublegends alphas as a break-out kit.

Ultimately, I think the colors speak for themselves (this was a big point for me in the design process), and that's where I found that the Shakedown base kit offers a simpler version of the theme for people who aren't about using the more heavily themed aspects.

to be honest it's refreshing to see more 'playfulness' in subs. considering there is so many kangi and katakana.

I also believe that the ".nic(k)" key should be included as a novelty though. Biip, Nephlock, and Garrett (Omni) all include their logo on sets they designs. More designers should do so.

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 13:18:18 »
I’d use a Nick cap

In for base w accents or I’ll buy em separate. Like the grey, like the colors.

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 20:26:37 »
Just wanted to chime in to say that while it’s a very specific themed set, I actually think it’s both funny and pretty creative.  I actually kinda like it! Nice job! I’ll be following your progress to see where this goes as I think it’s a very interesting & fun set. 👍
Founder of FitLabb.com - an online fitness & nutrition platform
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 18:11:32 »
Oh yes please.

Pleasure to be back working with you again, Mr. Nick.

Offline Cookiecurls

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 09:16:14 »
Jeez, the negativity on Geekhack has really gotten out of control 😨 I personally really like the set. The novelties are beautiful, and I think the shade of gray you chose is a perfect compliment to the accents. Great job dotnick I can’t wait to see it in person some day!

Offline Capsy

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 09:57:50 »
Good set. Love the colors and the accents.

Offline Troublemaker

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 22:20:59 »
I will definitely be a buyer of base kit and novelties. I only wish that I could swap the DECORUM set for grey to match the base kit without having to also buy the COMBAT TRAINING set for the modifiers only.

@Dotnick any chance DECORUM gets released in grey as well?

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 30 August 2022, 06:16:45 »
Loving this set, but wow is the first page a reminder of how weirdly toxic Geekhack is.

Offline gotgoodiez

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 31 August 2022, 10:38:46 »
Not sure if it is too late but I'm not sure so many arrows are needed with a total of 3 if you get the novelties/spacebar kit. I would cut one and throw the extra one in base.
I personally dont like the forcing of spacebars with the novelties especially if NK will cover MOQ. I would just bump it to its own kit so there are cheaper novelties but if the MOQ for it will not be covered I guess I understand.
Lastly for an ANSI enter novelty you can do a bloody knife or hammer as generic as it is, especially since you have "stab, slash, clobber" and so on..
GLWIC though, I do like this set/idea!

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 09:08:41 »
Not sure if it is too late but I'm not sure so many arrows are needed with a total of 3 if you get the novelties/spacebar kit. I would cut one and throw the extra one in base.
I personally dont like the forcing of spacebars with the novelties especially if NK will cover MOQ. I would just bump it to its own kit so there are cheaper novelties but if the MOQ for it will not be covered I guess I understand.
Lastly for an ANSI enter novelty you can do a bloody knife or hammer as generic as it is, especially since you have "stab, slash, clobber" and so on..

Can confirm we have already decided on these changes you suggested! The accent legend arrows have been cut and there will be a separate spacebars kit which will have slightly more compat to go with it.

Nearly every kit will have some quality of life edits as well that have been suggested in the IC form, hope to show everyone soon.

Offline wil

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 15:24:13 »
set looks great! the overwhelming cynicality towards one of the best vendors in the scene (something totally tangential to the nature of the thread, too) makes you really wonder why anyone continues to cater to geekhack at all.

Offline chutoroymoi

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 18:59:16 »
set looks great. I'll likely buy once NK runs sales on these

Offline gotgoodiez

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 22:48:37 »

Can confirm we have already decided on these changes you suggested! The accent legend arrows have been cut and there will be a separate spacebars kit which will have slightly more compat to go with it.

Nearly every kit will have some quality of life edits as well that have been suggested in the IC form, hope to show everyone soon.

Great to hear! Can't wait to see the changes and looking forward to the set.

Offline sagenju

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 10:47:26 »
I wonder how durable the UV-printed sub legends and novelties will be. Is it gonna be as durable as dye-sub or less durable?

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 16:16:13 »
I wonder how durable the UV-printed sub legends and novelties will be. Is it gonna be as durable as dye-sub or less durable?

Dye sub will basically never wear out (unless you’re using it heavily for many years), since the ink is heat-impregnated into the plastic like a tattoo. The most that’s usually noticeable is fuzzing at the edges. Any surface printing technique will eventually wear away after several years of regular use, though with GMK they’re thick enough that it would still take a while.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 03:31:41 »
this set will have so many extra units anyone could easily cop one in a $99 sale in 2025, so no need to back a planned instock set this early.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 09:10:39 »
Errrm.. did you decide to drop shakedown base? Completely kills the set for me tbh

Offline ABlazinBlueToe

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 09:16:06 »
What happened to the other base kit?  I was looking forward to grabbing a set, but the sublegends don't do it for me.  Huge bummer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 October 2022, 09:18:54 by ABlazinBlueToe »

Offline wanf

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 09:20:23 »
wish the accent kit retained the text icon mods too , but i guess it wouldnt make sense without the shakedown base
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 October 2022, 09:24:21 by wanf »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071

Offline Troublemaker

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 00:40:37 »
Errrm.. did you decide to drop shakedown base? Completely kills the set for me tbh

According to his Discord, Novelkeys cut the base without consulting with him. Hope he goes with another vendor for Volume 2. Sounds awful having your work/design cut.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 19 October 2022, 14:24:51 »

According to his Discord, Novelkeys cut the base without consulting with him. Hope he goes with another vendor for Volume 2. Sounds awful having your work/design cut.

Huh? But there's six other vendors with the exact same kitting?

Offline Troublemaker

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 02:48:27 »

Huh? But there's six other vendors with the exact same kitting?

The Shakedown base has no sublegends. The current "base" from vendors is the Combat Training one.

Offline Dewstem

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 07:43:53 »
Hello

Are there any render comparison to similar sets coming along?
Keebs owned:
Geon's F1, F2, Hiney's Poly TKL One, Singa's Kohaku, Sho's PC Snipe Silenced, Snow Edition HHKB Hybrid, Pro 3, Pro 2, Realforce 87u

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 08:56:52 »

The Shakedown base has no sublegends. The current "base" from vendors is the Combat Training one.

Yes, I am well aware. My comment was meant to convey my skepticism on how Novelkeys could dictate the kitting for the other six vendors behind the GB runner back.

Offline jammiiew

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 09:16:16 »
Thats look nice.

Offline max.clacks

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 11:00:28 »

Yes, I am well aware. My comment was meant to convey my skepticism on how Novelkeys could dictate the kitting for the other six vendors behind the GB runner back.

I believe Novelkeys is the lead vendor, so I think that would give them the ability to dictate which kits are to be sold.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 12:21:42 »
To clarify anything on the kitting - Yes, NovelKeys did decide that we should only run one base kit. We did talk to the designer and worked with them on this decision. This wasn't something that we changed without "consulting" with them first. It was a decision that had to be made based on current sales of preorders, but which base kit to proceed with was left up to the designer to choose.

In a perfect scenario, I would have loved to run both base kits. However, the current climate of retail, in general, has been slower. If both base kits did not perform well, we would have to buy out an MOQ for two base kits, which is not something we would be comfortable doing. The reason we call these preorders instead of group buys, is because no matter what we will make sure the items get made. We don't want anyone preordering something that can potentially get cancelled. I don't like that uncertainty for a customer and that is why the decision had to be made to trim the kits.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 19:19:51 »
We did talk to the designer and worked with them on this decision. This wasn't something that we changed without "consulting" with them first.

...which base kit to proceed with was left up to the designer to choose.

And this is about what I had suspected had actually happened, and not the story we got. Very strange situation.

Still not happy about the kit that was chosen though.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 21:12:35 »
To clarify anything on the kitting - Yes, NovelKeys did decide that we should only run one base kit. We did talk to the designer and worked with them on this decision. This wasn't something that we changed without "consulting" with them first. It was a decision that had to be made based on current sales of preorders, but which base kit to proceed with was left up to the designer to choose.

In a perfect scenario, I would have loved to run both base kits. However, the current climate of retail, in general, has been slower. If both base kits did not perform well, we would have to buy out an MOQ for two base kits, which is not something we would be comfortable doing. The reason we call these preorders instead of group buys, is because no matter what we will make sure the items get made. We don't want anyone preordering something that can potentially get cancelled. I don't like that uncertainty for a customer and that is why the decision had to be made to trim the kits.

Just don't read what I've written, it's not worth it.

More

Okay, since it seems that Mike would prefer to come on to this interest check and try to obfuscate what I said in my server instead of approaching me directly about the entire situation, I suppose I will respond here then too.

The following screenshot shows when Nephlock (or Riley, creative director of NovelKeys) mentioned in the groupchat with myself and NovelKeys' render artist, Fresh, that NovelKeys needed to make changes to the set. As you can see, this came as a shock to us, as it was just over two weeks before the group buy was scheduled to begin. This was surprising as well for the fact that, prior to this bombshell, we had already put together renders for updated kitting that included a number of changes highlighted by community feedback and just natural additions that I thought were great for the set overall. So no, I was not consulted about the decision.

This set was personally challenging for a number of reasons, and I would like to emphasize that up until this news, Riley was a massive help in the overall design of the set. The set would not have looked the way it did without his help. But to put things straight, there was no discussion with me about the decision to cut the set down beyond which base kit to keep. Given that this news was handed down due to immediate financial reasons, this was also not really much of a choice if I am being completely honest.

The main issue with this decision is that we had intense discussions in roughly July-August 2022 about how many kits to kit for overall, including child kits. Being completely transparent here, Riley and Mike were pulling for just a single base kit at this time given the overall downturn in GB performance over the past year. But at the end of it all, the set did not feel complete to me without the option to mute out the theming slightly and just have a simpler version of the overall concept/theme behind the set represented in the general colorway. Not to mention that when the two base kits were combined, one could actually have chosen one of four alphas+modifier combinations with the available keys (essentially packing four base kit combinations into two base kits). So, I campaigned hard for two base kits at the time and this is what we had all agreed to move forward with. To avoid the victim card here, I was very headstrong in these discussions to run with two base kits, it really was important to me to design the set the way I had envisioned it, but I am aware that in some way I probably should have seen the cut coming from the beginning. Regardless, in my opinion, this was the time to make decisions about the kitting, and not months later after I had finished designing the set and especially not weeks before the group buy. I understand I do not have a complete knowledge of the underpinning financials that allegedly drove this decision, but I do think that this could have been planned out far more carefully.

I would like to clarify that I am not coming from this in an entitled way and I am still very grateful for the opportunity to run this groupbuy with NK. I wasn't even going to talk about all of this if it were not for Mike making the above statement. I just personally think that this crossed lines of how designers should be treated by vendors in this hobby. An important point here is that at no point was this set the intellectual property of NovelKeys. Therefore, it was never in their jurisdiction to make a decision to alter the set. Not to mention, there were many things that were not even considered before deciding to cut the set down, such as exploring whether the other vendors would be interested in buying out a share of the MOQ of that base kit so that it could still be made at the 1000 MOQ that NK chooses to buy base kits out at, or perhaps buy each base kit at 500 MOQ (instead of one at 1000 MOQ) and market them both at a slightly higher price so you're not as cashstrapped that way. To be clear, this is not financial advice, I'm just presenting the concept that there were avenues to discuss and that there were no discussions with me about it from Mike's end. Without doubt, NovelKeys definitely contributes a majority percentage of sales in any groupbuy they are involved in, but to not even ask if it's a possibility or explore other possibilities just seems very unsensible given how many people were upset by this change. Of course, I could have replaced NK with another US vendor last minute, but this was all so sudden and rushed that I did not have enough time to react in such a way, and I don't think it would have been fair to do that to any vendor so last minute. Which leads me to my next point, which is that I also think that this decision showed an overall disregard for the opinions of the community that directly support vendors like NK, and demonstrated that these opinions may be an afterthought, or not a thought at all, anymore. Yes, we are all aware, you made a server to connect with the community. Regardless, the proof is in the pudding.

There are probably a number of things I could continue talking about, but it's just not worth the time since the decision is already made and life goes on. For the sake of keeping the ensuing pile of BS manageable, I will also not be responding to anything else on this thread unless it is directly related to fulfillment or some other much more important details than what I've just been waffling about. So if you would like to continue this discussion further Mike, let's talk privately, thanks.
_______

Thank you to everyone who has supported this group buy, I really appreciate all of you and your kind messages. The base kit that was cut from volume 1 will be run in volume 2, and volume 2 will be run with a different US vendor.

- Nick
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 October 2022, 21:14:30 by Dotnick »

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 21:13:10 »

Just don't read what I've written, it's not worth it.

More

Okay, since it seems that Mike would prefer to come on to this interest check and try to obfuscate what I said in my server instead of approaching me directly about the entire situation, I suppose I will respond here then too.

The following screenshot shows when Nephlock (or Riley, creative director of NovelKeys) mentioned in the groupchat with myself and NovelKeys' render artist, Fresh, that NovelKeys needed to make changes to the set. As you can see, this came as a shock to us, as it was just over two weeks before the group buy was scheduled to begin. This was surprising as well for the fact that, prior to this bombshell, we had already put together renders for updated kitting that included a number of changes highlighted by community feedback and just natural additions that I thought were great for the set overall. So no, I was not consulted about the decision.

Show Image

This set was personally challenging for a number of reasons, and I would like to emphasize that up until this news, Riley was a massive help in the overall design of the set. The set would not have looked the way it did without his help. But to put things straight, there was no discussion with me about the decision to cut the set down beyond which base kit to keep. Given that this news was handed down due to immediate financial reasons, this was also not really much of a choice if I am being completely honest.

The main issue with this decision is that we had intense discussions in roughly July-August 2022 about how many kits to kit for overall, including child kits. Being completely transparent here, Riley and Mike were pulling for just a single base kit at this time given the overall downturn in GB performance over the past year. But at the end of it all, the set did not feel complete to me without the option to mute out the theming slightly and just have a simpler version of the overall concept/theme behind the set represented in the general colorway. Not to mention that when the two base kits were combined, one could actually have chosen one of four alphas+modifier combinations with the available keys (essentially packing four base kit combinations into two base kits). So, I campaigned hard for two base kits at the time and this is what we had all agreed to move forward with. To avoid the victim card here, I was very headstrong in these discussions to run with two base kits, it really was important to me to design the set the way I had envisioned it, but I am aware that in some way I probably should have seen the cut coming from the beginning. Regardless, in my opinion, this was the time to make decisions about the kitting, and not months later after I had finished designing the set and especially not weeks before the group buy. I understand I do not have a complete knowledge of the underpinning financials that allegedly drove this decision, but I do think that this could have been planned out far more carefully.

I would like to clarify that I am not coming from this in an entitled way and I am still very grateful for the opportunity to run this groupbuy with NK. I wasn't even going to talk about all of this if it were not for Mike making the above statement. I just personally think that this crossed lines of how designers should be treated by vendors in this hobby. An important point here is that at no point was this set the intellectual property of NovelKeys. Therefore, it was never in their jurisdiction to make a decision to alter the set. Not to mention, there were many things that were not even considered before deciding to cut the set down, such as exploring whether the other vendors would be interested in buying out a share of the MOQ of that base kit so that it could still be made at the 1000 MOQ that NK chooses to buy base kits out at, or perhaps buy each base kit at 500 MOQ (instead of one at 1000 MOQ) and market them both at a slightly higher price so you're not as cashstrapped that way. To be clear, this is not financial advice, I'm just presenting the concept that there were avenues to discuss and that there were no discussions with me about it from Mike's end. Without doubt, NovelKeys definitely contributes a majority percentage of sales in any groupbuy they are involved in, but to not even ask if it's a possibility or explore other possibilities just seems very unsensible given how many people were upset by this change. Of course, I could have replaced NK with another US vendor last minute, but this was all so sudden and rushed that I did not have enough time to react in such a way, and I don't think it would have been fair to do that to any vendor so last minute. Which leads me to my next point, which is that I also think that this decision showed an overall disregard for the opinions of the community that directly support vendors like NK, and demonstrated that these opinions may be an afterthought, or not a thought at all, anymore. Yes, we are all aware, you made a server to connect with the community. Regardless, the proof is in the pudding.

There are probably a number of things I could continue talking about, but it's just not worth the time since the decision is already made and life goes on. For the sake of keeping the ensuing pile of BS manageable, I will also not be responding to anything else on this thread unless it is directly related to fulfillment or some other much more important details than what I've just been waffling about. So if you would like to continue this discussion further Mike, let's talk privately, thanks.
_______

Thank you to everyone who has supported this group buy, I really appreciate all of you and your kind messages. The base kit that was cut from volume 1 will be run in volume 2, and volume 2 will be run with a different US vendor.

- Nick

oh and thanks to all of the other vendors who have been truly wonderful this whole time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 October 2022, 21:15:01 by Dotnick »