Author Topic: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 06/07/16 GB LIVE!!  (Read 24744 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 10:33:44 »
Yah, I'm already saving by picking it up myself.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 10:54:01 »
I think we need Elton's name on this plate as well...:))

Offline E3E

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 17:46:01 »
$30-35 each, with ~$8 shipping? That's not bad for a well-finished plate. Too bad the price break isn't that great for quantities like this.

Fantastic price, really. It cost me like $24 to buy the copper plate I hand cut, haha. Well, with shipping, it's almost double, but still, for a well-finished, machined plate? Yeah, can't beat that.

If these ever open up for the Orion V2, I'll buy one!

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 18:07:40 »
At $30 with engraving it's going to be less expensive than any other option I have to me, unless shipping US->AU costs more than $90 (which I know it won't :D )

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 19:05:08 »
Don't forget that's also MADE IN AMERICA!

Where did the $8 CONUS shipping figure come from? Is that what it costs to send 1 lb with the plate dimensions through USPS?

I think my biggest reservation about shipping international is the customs forms/fees and the bigger risk of damage to the items. Maybe someone familiar with the customs process can shoot me a PM to alleviate my fears? This would also be my first Group Buy and unsure if that's something a novice like me should handle.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 19:33:54 »

Where did the $8 CONUS shipping figure come from? Is that what it costs to send 1 lb with the plate dimensions through USPS?

I think my biggest reservation about shipping international is the customs forms/fees and the bigger risk of damage to the items. Maybe someone familiar with the customs process can shoot me a PM to alleviate my fears? This would also be my first Group Buy and unsure if that's something a novice like me should handle.

This is the customs process:

1. fill in the form (your address, their address, declaration (you literally write 4 fields: item description, weight, cost, signature)

2. send it

I wish I was kidding but that's how simple it is.

Offline ika

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 19:37:23 »

Just a guess. Small flat rate is $6 and first class caps at 16oz and isn't much cheaper. After fees it'll be close.

Intl shipping if you pay postage online is really easy, it prints out the forms for you. If you ship small flat rate intl you don't even need a customs envelope, just a regular label like you usually do. If you're not already doing it, paypal.com/shipnow has better shipping rates than USPS does.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:06:35 »
NEW UPDATE - Original Post amended

The original goal was to do manufacturing in two different places to make cost of shipping cheaper for everyone all around. Unfortunately, I received news this morning that my collaborator in Asia will not be able to manufacture these plates.

This means that I am the only one making these plates. Due to this, I think it would be in everyone's best interest if I sell these internationally as well. There is already a limited number of Octagon V2s out there, so I'm not going to be swamped with orders. As promised before, CONUS and Canada will go out first as I am most familiar with those.

Due to encouragement and pleas from several members, I am more comfortable with international shipping, but this will be my first time. So please bare with me. I might send one international order out along with the CONUS ones as a test. I'll talk more about this in a future post.

Offline brighenne

Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 5/12/16
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 19:05:02 »
I'm trying to end up with an Octagon, will certainly be in if I get one.

Offline tuco

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 19:17:19 »
Thanks for your efforts merlin64!

Offline gnarlsagan

• Billions and billions... of keycaps.
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 21:30:06 »
In on a brass engraved plate. This is a great idea. Thanks for running this GB merlin!

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 23:11:48 »
NEW UPDATE - Original Post amended

The original goal was to do manufacturing in two different places to make cost of shipping cheaper for everyone all around. Unfortunately, I received news this morning that my collaborator in Asia will not be able to manufacture these plates.

This means that I am the only one making these plates. Due to this, I think it would be in everyone's best interest if I sell these internationally as well. There is already a limited number of Octagon V2s out there, so I'm not going to be swamped with orders. As promised before, CONUS and Canada will go out first as I am most familiar with those.

Due to encouragement and pleas from several members, I am more comfortable with international shipping, but this will be my first time. So please bare with me. I might send one international order out along with the CONUS ones as a test. I'll talk more about this in a future post.

I volunteer as tribute.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 00:44:59 »
Since you're doing international orders. Count me in! Much appreciated. Cheers!

Offline kenshinjeff

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 01:42:35 »
If you're worried about shipping international, don't worry, you can ship to my CONUS forwarding address.  ;)

Offline airs

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:25:25 »
Looks awesome, filled out IC.
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 09:45:27 »
I have been informed that in some cases, after payment of invoices, the funds in my paypal account may be held for some amount of time.

Does anyone know what the amount is, and how long it will be held for? Currently there are 40 people in the IC, so I can't imagine having more than $1600-2000 paid to me total.

Offline billhicks

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 19:31:32 »
Have everyone send you paypal F&F directly. Avoid invoicing & charging for goods and services -- it saves us all money that just ends up in Paypal's coffers. Sometimes they'll hold large payments back so they can verify that it was legitimate, but that takes just a day or so, and shouldn't apply to $30-40.

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 22:57:28 »
Want in. Filled out the form.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 03:31:15 »
Have everyone send you paypal F&F directly. Avoid invoicing & charging for goods and services -- it saves us all money that just ends up in Paypal's coffers. Sometimes they'll hold large payments back so they can verify that it was legitimate, but that takes just a day or so, and shouldn't apply to $30-40.

And unless they trust the GB runner explicitly they are out of luck in the case he decides to disappear.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 14:05:20 »
Alright more questions for those more knowledgeable than me

1. Is the design supposed to be relieved, or engraved/traced? Is there a specific depth?
2. What size and style screws are being used so we can make an accurate countersink?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 22:47:41 »
I'd prefer some type of hex screw head as opposed to a Phillips head for that more premium look :).

Offline E3E

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 23:07:38 »
Brass hex screws would be pretty boss

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 23:09:18 »
Brass hex screws would be pretty boss

Yes please!

Offline duckness

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 23:15:46 »

1. Is the design supposed to be relieved, or engraved/traced? Is there a specific depth?
2. What size and style screws are being used so we can make an accurate countersink?
I'd prefer some type of hex screw head as opposed to a Phillips head for that more premium look :).

Just FYI, the Octagon V2 Kit already provides (stainless)screws for the weight. Hex screw, 6mm head diameter, 6mm total length, and I think M2.5

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 May 2016, 23:21:50 by duckness »

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 23:23:30 »

Just FYI, the Octagon V2 Kit already provides (stainless)screws for the weight. Hex screw, 6mm head diameter, 6mm total length, and I think M2.5

Show Image

Which would be nice if more were included. I only have one extra after assembling the board.

Offline duckness

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 23:29:05 »
Which would be nice if more were included. I only have one extra after assembling the board.
they gave 5 of those screws, 4 is used for the weight with 1 spare. did you use them somewhere else?

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 23:39:16 »
they gave 5 of those screws, 4 is used for the weight with 1 spare. did you use them somewhere else?

I'll count tomorrow, but the acrylic flat bottom I believe requires 8 small screws. The plate also requires 8. Total small screws I have is 17 then, leaving one extra for assembly. I'm using both the flat top and rounded top small screws at various points, since otherwise I would not have enough. Are we supposed to supply our own screws for any part of the assembly?

Offline duckness

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 23:57:36 »
I'll count tomorrow, but the acrylic flat bottom I believe requires 8 small screws. The plate also requires 8. Total small screws I have is 17 then, leaving one extra for assembly. I'm using both the flat top and rounded top small screws at various points, since otherwise I would not have enough. Are we supposed to supply our own screws for any part of the assembly?

that makes sense, for the aluminum bottom you can use the longer screws for the top parts of the case. since one would not need the flat head screws for a weight with the acrylic case, it would instead be used for the case itself.

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 00:13:18 »

that makes sense, for the aluminum bottom you can use the longer screws for the top parts of the case. since one would not need the flat head screws for a weight with the acrylic case, it would instead be used for the case itself.

Ah that's right the longer screws are used for the top part of the aluminum bottom. Been using the flat acrylic bottom to satisfy my craving for RGB.  :)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 5/17/16
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 09:16:51 »
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can buy a whole bunch of screws and add it to everyone's orders. May add a bit to the cost, and that's depending if I can find them.

In the meantime, I've ordered a prototype plate for test fitting =). We'll see how this turns out. Problem I have right now is that I don't have an Octagon. I've reached out to Elton to see if I could get my order expedited. I am #2 for batch 2, so I do expect to be one of the early ones anyway.

Offline ika

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 09:27:14 »
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can buy a whole bunch of screws and add it to everyone's orders. May add a bit to the cost, and that's depending if I can find them.

In the meantime, I've ordered a prototype plate for test fitting =). We'll see how this turns out. Problem I have right now is that I don't have an Octagon. I've reached out to Elton to see if I could get my order expedited. I am #2 for batch 2, so I do expect to be one of the early ones anyway.

Try McMaster Carr for stuff like that. I've heard lots of recommendations for them when it comes to hardware.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:33:51 »

If you want to, send it to someone CONUS that has it.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:35:15 »
That's a good idea. Anyone in the Pacific Northwest (PNW) currently owning an Octagon V2, want to meet up for a test fit?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 01:25:03 »
That's a good idea. Anyone in the Pacific Northwest (PNW) currently owning an Octagon V2, want to meet up for a test fit?

I'm in oregon, will be in portland next wednesday. probly not close enough, tho...

question -  can we get custom engraving if we send you a .dwg? is it going to be lasered or machined?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 15:12:03 »
I frequently travel to Oregon, but I believe the next time I head down, I'll already have an Octagon V2 haha.

Custom engraving is do-able, however it may have some drawbacks such as much higher price for you, delays for everyone, and other complications. If you want custom engraving, I would probably just order a blank plate and take it to a local shop to have it done there.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 5/25/16
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 15:17:23 »
UPDATE: The plate has been cut and I will receive it by end of week!

I still do not have an Octagon V2, though conversations with Elton have revealed that Octagon V2 is "shipping very soon". My attempt to get my order shipped first (I'm #2 in batch 2) didn't pan out.

I've maintained that I will not start the GB until I have verified that this works. So if anyone is in the Pacific Northwest and has an Octagon V2, I'd love to meet up with you to get this GB on the way. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 May 2016, 15:36:00 by merlin64 »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 5/25/16
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 09:11:15 »
UPDATE:

1. Prototype is in the mail and on the way to me
2. A member of the community reached out and volunteered both his time, and his Octagon V2 for test fitting. In lieu of batch 2 arriving, I will be using his Octagon for tests and photos.
3. Final Cost Discussion: Some options have to go to stay within my original $30 - $35 estimate. With all options in the IC, expect an addition $5ish to $10ish added. Basically with a production this small, with this much variance, prices are going to be a lot higher. I'd like to reduce variance.

Final Cost Discussion:

1. Material: Brass is the leading material of choice, followed by stainless steel, and then copper. One of these has to go. Based on survey results alone, I would say copper has to go
2. Finish: Finish is split down the middle between brushed or polish. This can be cheaper if we get it in the raw finish and finish it ourselves, or say something like All plates of material A will come in polished, and all plates in material B will come in brushed.
3. Design: Overwhelming amount of people want just the Octagon V2 Logo with a few wanting a blank plate, and even fewer want the design with duck0113 on it. I'll remove the duck0113 to reduce variance. Poor duck, no one wants to immortalize him in their keyboards.

Please discuss
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2016, 09:27:48 by merlin64 »

Offline kenshinjeff

Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 5/27/16 - Need more input
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 09:34:33 »
- Brass + Stainless Steel. (Though it is my personal opinion brass is nicer)

- I believe brushed is something like hairline finish, and polished is shiny mirror like finish. I don't think it's possible to manually do this by hand to achieve the finish you want. I may be wrong. Also, to me, brushed feels more robust than a scratch-able shiny surface.

- I'll go with the majority, whichever makes it easier for the design : D

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 10:53:28 »
I think a polished finish will make a nicer contrast to the anodised texture of the case.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 11:34:31 »
I've made another google form to better collect answers

http://goo.gl/forms/c59kAxdjSomYJfwo2

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 22:27:29 »
I've made another google form to better collect answers

http://goo.gl/forms/c59kAxdjSomYJfwo2

Filled.

Any indicative shipping prices?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 01:08:57 »
Will depend on how much you order. If it's just one plate, I'll send it through first class and should get to you in a few days. If it's two plates, probably flat rate priority

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline boo

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 23:00:40 »
filled the form. Will we get actual pics later XD

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:49:54 »
No, you will have to imagine it all. =).

I'll post another update with pics once I have the prototype. Stay tuned.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
UPDATE - Prototype in, pictures are up

The prototype was made out of scrap aluminum so finishing and texture is not what to expect. This was made primarily for test fitting purposes which should happen next week. I will be updating the photos again after that.

It weighs in at 4.5 oz/127.5g
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2016, 17:39:38 by merlin64 »

Offline tuco

Looking good!

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
Wow, looks good! Looks really promising!

Offline ctrlX

Awww yeah... Looks really good. Thank you for doing this.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
tbh, i am mostly interested in finishing. the mirror finish we have been seeing from korea is not easy to get

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Mirror Mirror in my Octagon V2, who has the fairest keyboard of them all?

It is my understanding that the finishing is all done via machine. However he didn't have any brass or stainless samples to machine this out of. To make one of each variation for prototyping purposes would cost probably $200+ on my end. Which I would then gladly add on to the cost of the group buy lol.

Perhaps if I were to run an Orion plate GB, I could start a raffle to build funds for the prototype and have some unique engraving on them. (Orion constellation or something) The winners of the raffle would then receive the prototypes along with their actual unit during the GB process. Being a prototype though, they should understand that it may not fit lol. Ideas for the future =). FYI, ever since E3E mentioned it, I am deeply considering doing it for the Orion but won't take any action at least until this GB order has arrived at my front door.