Author Topic: [IC] Resin casted HHKB case  (Read 7580 times)

Offline misconceit

[IC] Resin casted HHKB case
« on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 08:20:26 »
Hello, I'm trying to organize a group buy for resin casted HHKB case.
The case will be entirely molded from the original HHKB case without the feet.
Currently in talk with a vendor with below option available:
1. $60 each case with 10 MoQ
2. Urethane resin
3. Clear case

but probably will search for other option as I guess many of you would prefer a coloured HHKB case ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 July 2016, 08:26:20 by misconceit »
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S   
HHKB Pro 2

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
Re: [IC] Resin casted HHKB case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 08:26:48 »
interested in one.  :thumb:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 08:34:19 »
WANT!

Any pics? Is it similar to the one that was posted on reddit a while back?
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline cmd

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 08:36:22 »
nice

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline misconceit

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 08:37:13 »
WANT!

Any pics? Is it similar to the one that was posted on reddit a while back?
Don't have a picture at the moment, and yes that's exactly what inspired me to organize this group buy.
Currently I'm looking for different casting studio for getting the job done since the person I'm in talk with doesn't show much interest ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 July 2016, 08:42:42 by misconceit »
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S   
HHKB Pro 2

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 09:51:33 »
I'm interested in one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 10:32:05 »
Definitely would be interested!

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 10:36:41 »
I'm interested!

Offline duhhey

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 12:49:41 »
I'll be interested!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 13:09:10 »
Marking this page just to see some pictures :D All the possibilities Jesus

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 16:21:46 »
Interested

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 16:49:26 »
I would be in for one if it came with at least two matching novatouch sliders.

Offline IneffableTao

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 18:38:35 »
Popping my post cherry here to say I'm interested!

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 20:02:27 »
count me in d00d
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline BurnMyDread

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 23:33:45 »
I'd totally be down for at least one set. I'd love to get a semi-transparent case like the skeleton Sega Saturn.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 00:43:22 »
I'd totally be down for at least one set. I'd love to get a semi-transparent case like the skeleton Sega Saturn.

Show Image

Never knew a transparent sega saturn existed  :eek:

Offline misconceit

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 00:46:32 »
If anyone know any studio or vendor would produce this please send me a pm, would like to have more for comparison  ;D
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S   
HHKB Pro 2

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 00:48:55 »
Link to a pic?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 01:22:53 »
I would buy a trans bottom too.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 14:11:00 »
It's not like this is exactly what I have been wanting forever.

I'm in.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 14:16:52 »

Show Image

THAT, is pretty amazing. Would definitely look cool as a HHKB case color

Offline ironpup

• Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 15:23:24 »
I'd be down for a trans red or maroon, especially if there was an option to get one without USB ports for us hasu controller users

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 15:27:02 »
I did some 60% cases in resin, they require a very skilled mold maker with a very large pressure pot, heat cure resin and an industrial oven. Also the standoffs have to be hand threaded. Its going to be very hard to find someone that can pull that off in bulk.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 15:37:49 »
I did some 60% cases in resin, they require a very skilled mold maker with a very large pressure pot, heat cure resin and an industrial oven. Also the standoffs have to be hand threaded. Its going to be very hard to find someone that can pull that off in bulk.

With resin could you conceivably just thread the screw you want through the holes to thread them? AFAIK Polyurethane is pretty malleable compared to rigid materials like aluminum and acrylic.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 15:53:19 »
AFAIK Polyurethane is pretty malleable

So the first problem, if you try and cast the existing threaded holes, the resin will not fill the hole. Leaving you with a standoff that has just a little indention in it, if you use a self threading screw, the standoff itself will explode trying to displace the resin. Resin will flex a little, but not as much as you need to make it work. You have to drill a hole then thread it. Beleave me i tried it.

Second problem, Resin is pretty malleable, leading to a case that deforms fairly easy unless its heat cured. This could be remedied by testing tons of different resins, finding one that has the rigidity that you need, but it may not be clear, etc. There goes your budget (I tried this too)

Third problem for the HHKB, the caster will need 2, 2 part molds because the HHKB case is 2 parts. This sounds easy but in practice its very hard to get the consistency you need out of resin to make the 2 halves fit together properly.

If he finds someone that has the tools and the know how to pull this off, it will not be $60, it will be double that, easily.

You need injection molding to pull this off with consistency.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 16:05:55 »
AFAIK Polyurethane is pretty malleable

So the first problem, if you try and cast the existing threaded holes, the resin will not fill the hole. Leaving you with a standoff that has just a little indention in it, if you use a self threading screw, the standoff itself will explode trying to displace the resin. Resin will flex a little, but not as much as you need to make it work. You have to drill a hole then thread it. Beleave me i tried it.

Second problem, Resin is pretty malleable, leading to a case that deforms fairly easy unless its heat cured. This could be remedied by testing tons of different resins, finding one that has the rigidity that you need, but it may not be clear, etc. There goes your budget (I tried this too)

Third problem for the HHKB, the caster will need 2, 2 part molds because the HHKB case is 2 parts. This sounds easy but in practice its very hard to get the consistency you need out of resin to make the 2 halves fit together properly.

If he finds someone that has the tools and the know how to pull this off, it will not be $60, it will be double that, easily.

You need injection molding to pull this off with consistency.

Ok, so one could use a self-threading screw to thread an existing hole in polyurethane, good to know. I think ABS is great for a few colors but maybe not the kind of patterns and translucency you can achieve with polyurethane. Either way it would be cool to see this work out

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 16:51:46 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the HHKB, does the top of the case not also have all the barrels? Such a barrel plate would require a flawless cast with tight tolerances.
The mould-making material (usually RTV silicone) and urethane resin shrinks a couple of percent - may not sound much but could possibly be significant enough for the sliders not fitting. There might also be slight warping and the keyboard would also be a couple mm smaller than an original HHKB.

In comparison, threaded standoffs might not be as big a problem. You could place threaded inserts into the mould when casting.

And BTW, urethane resin is not nearly as durable as ABS.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 17:00:00 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the HHKB, does the top of the case not also have all the barrels? Such a barrel plate would require a flawless cast with tight tolerances.
The mould-making material (usually RTV silicone) and urethane resin shrinks a couple of percent - may not sound much but could possibly be significant enough for the sliders not fitting. There might also be slight warping and the keyboard would also be a couple mm smaller than an original HHKB.

In comparison, threaded standoffs might not be as big a problem. You could place threaded inserts into the mould when casting.

Ill let the man/woman speak for themselves, but I think these would be just bottom cases.
obviously susceptible to the same issues, but just a higher tolerance for variations.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 17:00:49 »

Polyurethane is plenty durable imo. People go down hills at ridiculous speeds on wheels made of polyurethane blends that are not much different from the kinds of polyurethanes one can buy in a casting kit. The stuff will bounce just like ABS (if not more) if you drop it and it can handle direct sunlight and normal heat/humidity without issue (ABS maybe not so much).

I should have thought of threaded inserts, those would be much sturdier than threaded polyurethane!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 17:15:13 »
Polyurethane rubber in wheels are different. There are many different types of polyurethane.

And I am referring to urethane you can find in a casting kit. I have bought and built urethane kits for over a decade and cast my own sculpts for half that time.
I have (had) helmets for cosplay both of rotocast urethane and of vacuformed ABS, and I much prefer ABS because it does not break as easily if you would bump it or drop it.
While they are some urethane resins that withstand shocks better, clear urethane resin isn't that kind of resin, or everyone in the cosplay world would be using it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 July 2016, 17:17:22 by Findecanor »

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 18:36:51 »
I would love to get one.
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 19:35:36 »
I'm in! Would love some 'concept' pics though.

Offline kaeeeede

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 02:20:28 »
I am interested in a way to personalize my HHKB a little more for sure. Interested in seeing what direction this IC heads.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 13:35:37 »
In.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 13:43:50 »
Polyurethane rubber in wheels are different. There are many different types of polyurethane.

And I am referring to urethane you can find in a casting kit. I have bought and built urethane kits for over a decade and cast my own sculpts for half that time.
I have (had) helmets for cosplay both of rotocast urethane and of vacuformed ABS, and I much prefer ABS because it does not break as easily if you would bump it or drop it.
While they are some urethane resins that withstand shocks better, clear urethane resin isn't that kind of resin, or everyone in the cosplay world would be using it.

Ah ok, I see your point. I forgot that the polyurethane I've used is normally in a dense round form, or comes out of a small tube for small repairs, not exactly stretched out to form suits of armor and things of that nature.

Offline ntw

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 04:46:31 »
I assume the idea comes from /u/flehrad (aka RAG caps) that managed to make it work on Reddit.

r/mk: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4prjed/artisan_hhkb_fun/
album: http://imgur.com/a/r0jLi
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 07:53:41 »
I assume the idea comes from /u/flehrad (aka RAG caps) that managed to make it work on Reddit.

r/mk: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4prjed/artisan_hhkb_fun/
album: http://imgur.com/a/r0jLi

The pics here sold me on the concept... Thanks for the link! I've always loved the semi-transparent look on game consoles. I would be interested in one.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 08:25:26 »
Kind of strange that you havent posted any concept pics though  :confused:

Offline ntw

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 04:13:58 »
Kind of strange that you havent posted any concept pics though  :confused:
here's the album of the prototype from RAG Caps maker (/u/flehrad): http://imgur.com/a/r0jLi

not sure if its the same concept that OP has
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline IMBoddy

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 11:54:11 »
I'd be in for a Red trans Bottom.  :thumb:

Offline misconceit

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 01:37:58 »
I think the original creator might start selling these in the near future
so I will just put this thread on hold until he confirms that he won't be selling it
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/4t2eof/artisanmx_sliders/
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S   
HHKB Pro 2