Author Topic: [IC] SA Semiconductor (PLEASE TAKE THE POLL AND SHARE YOUR OPINION)  (Read 14509 times)

Offline CharismaIllya

Everyone has a voice in Cloudbank

Your input is needed to expedite relief in a decisive time!

There are three possible options on the poll, and you can vote for more than one if you want. Just select all of the options you like and submit! Here are the possible choices:

The Transistor
145420-0

The Camerata
145422-1

Cloudbank
145424-2

Please vote and feel free to comment if you have any concerns.

EDIT 3:
More
Okay, I'm back with some more stuff, including some novelties and my own terrible renders ;).
144688-3

144690-4
Seriously though, I didn't set myself up for greatness here. At least not initially. Now the keys are more aligned with one another, but I'm aware that's it's not the best render.

While I haven't finished a mockup for the electrical engineering novelty keys, I have made a bunch of novelties from functions in the game:
144970-5

and a few featuring vectors of the function images:
144648-6

and finally, here's a new and better organized image for the colors I used:
144506-7

I'll probably clean up the renders soon and replace them (EDIT: Cleaned up renders as of 8/8/16), but for now, tell me what you like and what you don't like. Thanks!

EDIT 2:
More
So cyan/blue officially won't work :(. C'est la vie. In lieu of that, I've come up with new versions of the two colorways I made.

This is the one for Red:
144263-8

This is the one for the Camerata:
144265-9

And this is one for the Camerata that uses the grey/gold mods from Red's version:
144267-10

For better or for worse, we're making progress. Novelties are on the way.

EDIT:
More
Came up with a very different keyset for the Camerata that looks like this:
144195-11
Very different and pretty classy.

As for the original set, I think the gray keys with yellow legends and the red modifiers are good, but I can see where some of you are coming from with the alpha legends. I'm finding it hard to retain the feel of the set by using a darker, more blue color for the keys, but you have to do what is necessary, I guess. I'll think of something good in time and update again.

More
This is a basic mockup.
144119-12

And this is mockup with colored modifiers.
144121-13

If this gains enough traction, I'll make some modifiers that have little circuit themed vectors like these (http://imgur.com/zEAgnnv) on them. Maybe I'll even try my hand a 3D render. In any case, what do you think?
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 August 2016, 11:42:46 by CharismaIllya »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Re: [IC] Opinions on a Transistor Inspired Keyset (DSA or SA R3, ABS)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:56:33 »
Damn, this is kinda cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mind_funeral

• savior of lost fortunes
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:16:51 »
I like it but fear that the production alpha legends will be hard to read.
Poker II.3 with Gateron Browns and SIP sockets,  Midnight/Twilight DCS
KBP V60 with Gateron Clears, EnjoyPBT Cyrillics
Topre Type Heaven

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:29:10 »
Too bad I don't like dsa/sa

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:38:23 »
Mockup one, with red esc and red arrows would be sweet i think.

I prefer cherry profile personally, but this color would be cool in SA

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:41:03 »
Damn, this is kinda cool!

Thanks! It's cool to have the blessing of an actual designer. Although now I have to put together a mod kit for Minivan, don't I?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:42:05 »
:) I can send you the kit for 40% layouts it covers pretty much everything

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:44:19 »
Mockup one, with red esc and red arrows would be sweet i think.

I prefer cherry profile personally, but this color would be cool in SA

See I originally wanted to have it done by GMK, but they didn't have the colors I wanted, and I'd have to get a lot of orders to have custom colors with them, so I settled with Signature Plastics. I suppose that if I had a lot of support and a lot of people wanted Cherry, I could try GMK.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:46:12 »
:) I can send you the kit for 40% layouts it covers pretty much everything

Like I said, I'll take all the help I can get!  ;D

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:51:05 »
I like it but fear that the production alpha legends will be hard to read.

Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean, and I've experimented with darker blues, but it's hard to keep the feel of the set intact using only SP's default blues (http://keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/absblue.JPG). What would you recommend out of those colors?

Offline Pinecone

• Pine Switches
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 16:01:30 »
I'm liking the idea on this one. Personally, I suggest you slim down to VBV, BDG, RAC and YCF as the primary keycap colors with the blacks/greys as the font. Don't mind me, I just really like bright sets  :)

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 16:18:42 »
i think the accents should be red/blue and the main set black/gold following the character's own theme (check what she's wearing)

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 17:06:53 »
I'm liking the idea on this one. Personally, I suggest you slim down to VBV, BDG, RAC and YCF as the primary keycap colors with the blacks/greys as the font. Don't mind me, I just really like bright sets  :)

Well then you're gonna love this!
144143-0

I just can't find a subtle way to use all of the bright colors as bases rather than legends without throwing away most of the colors. I'm sure there's a better way to execute it that's beyond my skill, but I just can't bring myself to like anything that I make. And while I don't want to be stubborn, I'll fight for my cyan/blue alphas! I'd give them up if it was for the best, but I'd have a hard time parting ways with them. :'(

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 17:15:55 »
Here's my suggestion since I like more color :D Basically inverted modifiers with stealthy legends. Trying to match the sword.

Offline Pinecone

• Pine Switches
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 17:27:54 »

(Attachment Link)

I just can't find a subtle way to use all of the bright colors as bases rather than legends without throwing away most of the colors. I'm sure there's a better way to execute it that's beyond my skill, but I just can't bring myself to like anything that I make. And while I don't want to be stubborn, I'll fight for my cyan/blue alphas! I'd give them up if it was for the best, but I'd have a hard time parting ways with them. :'(

I like this ahaha ;) Did you make this mockup or did you use a website? :O

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 17:31:01 »
I like the grey modifiers more than the yellow. It keeps it subtle. The yellow starts to make it look alot like the Scooby-Doo themed IC that's happening right now. That's just my pocket lint though
Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:15:15 »
I really really enjoyed Transistor, so I thought I'd share my suggestion as well.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:21:20 »

(Attachment Link)

I like this ahaha ;) Did you make this mockup or did you use a website? :O

Between you and the other people asking for lighter options, I might try to make two sets of modifiers, one light and one dark, to account for everyone.  ;D Personally I'm a fan of darker sets, and I think a darker set would reflect the game better, being that Cloudbank, the setting, is a rather dark place, but compromise must happen somewhere! And no, I didn't make the mockups myself. I'm using Keyboard Layout Editor atm. I was planning on making my own mockup later in Inkscape if this got people's attention, so that I could make novelties.

Offline TheMissingPiece

• TheAverageOne
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:50:44 »
HELL. YES.

Transistor is probably my favorite game, so I'd love a themed keyset. SA is just icing on the cake. I'd like to see some more variations on the colorway though. Maybe I'll try cooking something up this week. Maybe add some more emphasis on the Camerata, with their red, black, and white color scheme?

The novelties for this set would be amazing.

Offline Shados

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:00:09 »
Suggestions:
1) Consider using stylized versions of electrical engineering symbols instead of/in addition to the circuit vectors you linked. Hell, Apple's "Option" key symbol is pretty obviously taken from the EE symbol for an SPDT toggle switch.

2) Offer red versions of the 'R', 'E', and 'D' keys, maybe as part of a secondary kit. They're even in a cluster :p.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:12:39 »
HELL. YES.

Transistor is probably my favorite game, so I'd love a themed keyset. SA is just icing on the cake. I'd like to see some more variations on the colorway though. Maybe I'll try cooking something up this week. Maybe add some more emphasis on the Camerata, with their red, black, and white color scheme?

The novelties for this set would be amazing.

Damn I'm sleeping on the job! :eek: I had never thought to make a colorway based on the Camerata. I spun up something really quick, and dare I say it looks better and entirely different than the original.
144149-0

A set for the Transistor and a set for the Camerata sounds cool, but it's basically two different sets. Is that even feasible?

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:29:19 »
Suggestions:
1) Consider using stylized versions of electrical engineering symbols instead of/in addition to the circuit vectors you linked. Hell, Apple's "Option" key symbol is pretty obviously taken from the EE symbol for an SPDT toggle switch.

2) Offer red versions of the 'R', 'E', and 'D' keys, maybe as part of a secondary kit. They're even in a cluster :p.

The RED idea is pretty cute :D. Another option would be to have a small "E" and "D" in the top and bottom right corners of the "R" key, respectively.

As for the novelties, there's a lot of options. I'd feel compelled to use the symbol for a transistor, for obvious reasons, as well as the symbols for ground and diode because they look nice. Aside from that, though, I wanted to make a set of novelties for some of the commands in the game(http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51f265f9e4b08fce1a8bb278/t/55828570e4b0d9be39c2980c/1434617204376/). Any number of things would look good, and I suppose we could make them all. I know that Carbon had a ton of novelties, but I don't think this'll be as popular as carbon. Nevertheless we can try!

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:49:19 »
i realy like the VBV green but the green legend on blue alpha is less detectable for me.
i prefer green legend on darker alpha or something like that
The mod is rather good and keep it , the yellow is so comfortable.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 09:38:13 »
For a color/legibility reference:

If the colors are too close together they just sort of disappear. (Check the high-res version of the BoB)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 10:19:13 »
Huge fan of the game, and I like the idea, but neither set is doing anything for me.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Aricil

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 11:57:04 »
I REALLY like the bottom-est one. Where it's white and red and black. There hasn't been a really good red/black set that I can think of. At least not one that's been popular.
Professional amateur.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 12:06:12 »
Huge fan of the game, and I like the idea, but neither set is doing anything for me.

I'm in the same boat. If I had seen these sets on their own, I wouldn't have thought they were referencing or inspired by Transistor. I think it might be the lack of novelties right now that would make the theme more apparent.

But who knows? Perhaps they'll grow on me. I am rooting for this project to succeed either way.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 15:58:02 »
For a color/legibility reference:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

If the colors are too close together they just sort of disappear. (Check the high-res version of the BoB)

Thanks for these. I also emailed SP for some info, and apparently VBV doesn't work very well as a legend unless the cap itself is a very dark color. So the cyan/blue legends won't be happening no matter what. I was thinking of doing some combination of cyan, grey, gold, and cream, but I haven't ironed it out yet.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:30:28 »

I'm in the same boat. If I had seen these sets on their own, I wouldn't have thought they were referencing or inspired by Transistor. I think it might be the lack of novelties right now that would make the theme more apparent.

But who knows? Perhaps they'll grow on me. I am rooting for this project to succeed either way.

I can see where you're coming from. I'm pouring over pictures of Cloudbank at the moment and I'm finding it challenging to visualize any clear theme that I can translate into a keyset. In future designs I'll try to add more cream colored accents like the floors and the lights of the city.

Like a said a little earlier, cyan on blue won't work, so I'll have to come up with something else. I don't know if gray on cyan will work any better (just took a good look at it after posting, and I think not), but I came up with this in the meantime:
144254-0
Tell me if you think it's any better. And I'm sorry that I can't do any novelties yet. I'm stuck in Keyboard Layout Editor until I make a template of my own. For now, though, I put a little flare on the esc key. It's not much, but it's something.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:35:48 by CharismaIllya »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:38:16 »
I still think the very first mockup in the thread is my fav. Love it.

Offline eksuen

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:40:01 »

I can see where you're coming from. I'm pouring over pictures of Cloudbank at the moment and I'm finding it challenging to visualize any clear theme that I can translate into a keyset. In future designs I'll try to add more cream colored accents like the floors and the lights of the city.

Like a said a little earlier, cyan on blue won't work, so I'll have to come up with something else. I don't know if gray on cyan will work any better (just took a good look at it after posting, and I think not), but I came up with this in the meantime:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
Tell me if you think it's any better. And I'm sorry that I can't do any novelties yet. I'm stuck in Keyboard Layout Editor until I make a template of my own. For now, though, I put a little flare on the esc key. It's not much, but it's something.

I don't know. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't make me giddy with excitement either.

I like the idea for the escape key, though. Personally, I think it'd be cool if you integrated the abilities and/or functions from the game into the keyset a la Danger Zone's Wingman pack.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:54:04 »

(Attachment Link)

I don't know. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't make me giddy with excitement either.

I like the idea for the escape key, though. Personally, I think it'd be cool if you integrated the abilities and/or functions from the game into the keyset a la Danger Zone's Wingman pack.

Show Image

That was the master plan. The ones I'm already pretty sure of are esc as Turn() and tab as Jaunt(). I was also thinking of making a Breach() key for backspace and Void() and Tap() keys for ctrl and alt respectively. On top of that, there would be a novelty set that had electrical engineering graphics on it like /u/shados suggested. The symbols for transistor and ground would look good on a keycap.

As for the colorway, do you have any suggestions? Do you think I should ditch the idea of grey/gold keys for cream/gold and see where it goes? This one's definitely going to be hard to pin down, but I'm confident that It'll be something special when we do.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:59:45 »

Thanks! :D As much as I like that one too, I think the people saying VBV on BDG will be hard to read are right. But as much as I hate to give them up, I'm confident that we'll come up with something even better to replace it. That aside, best wishes to you on your NGNL set. It's coming along nicely!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:10:07 »

Thanks! :D As much as I like that one too, I think the people saying VBV on BDG will be hard to read are right. But as much as I hate to give them up, I'm confident that we'll come up with something even better to replace it. That aside, best wishes to you on your NGNL set. It's coming along nicely!

Thanks!

Try the first layout with all yellow lettering and a red ESC key. Please please please, sholdnt take long right? haha

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Re: [IC] Semiconductor, a Transistor Inspired Keyset
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:12:42 »
im liking the bottom two a lot!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:14:15 »
Nvm fam, I gotchu

144270-0
144272-1
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:16:38 by DaleSnail »

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:18:57 »
Nvm fam, I gotchu

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Just when I had finished this, too:
144274-0

It doesn't look half bad like this.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:20:05 »
Nvm fam, I gotchu

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Lovin it, but maybe a diff color on the red?

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:29:01 »
im liking the bottom two a lot!

Thanks! I'm trying to consolidate the two designs so that I might be able to have them as a part of the same set (two sets of alphas and one set of mods ala Midnight/Twilight), but I'm not even sure if I should bother. Do have a preference for one mod color or the other?

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:32:51 »
Nvm fam, I gotchu

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Definitely looks a little McDonalds-y. I tried the darkest red SP offers.
144276-0

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:38:57 »
Nvm fam, I gotchu

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Definitely looks a little McDonalds-y. I tried the darkest red SP offers.
(Attachment Link)
Meant on the legends haha

Offline Data

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 18:49:00 »
This set almost looks like Jukebox took a dark turn down a sci-fi path. Like a 1950s sock hop that got crashed by a squad of time traveling alien bounty hunters.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 20:16:41 »
Here's my own ****ty render of the set:
144494-0
I threw in some more simple novelty ideas, but there are a lot more cool novelty prospects that I'm thinking of, like vector images of the various function icons, a Junction Jan's cap, and a Camerata/Cloudbank logo cap. As always, I'm open to suggestions.

And as a side note, I was messing around in KLE with color schemes for video games, and I figured there might be some interest for GMK Overwatch:
144496-1
It's a little similar to carbon, but it really can't be helped, what with the orange/white color scheme. If enough people like it, I'll either switch gears or ask someone else to handle it. Either way, it's out there. Thoughts?

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 22:00:48 »
I absolutely love Transistors art style, that game is so damn pretty!

I'm a big fan of the 'Red' render and while I'm pretty much exclusively cherry profile these days I'm very interested  :thumb:

Also need some humming in here

More

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 00:21:09 »

(Attachment Link)

Now what would might be interesting with the all-black-legends setup is DCS or DSA PBT dyesub if you can get the right colors.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 15:28:51 »

(Attachment Link)

Now what would might be interesting with the all-black-legends setup is DCS or DSA PBT dyesub if you can get the right colors.

I'm not particularly interested in that sort of thing, but here's a mockup anyways:
144546-0
The green is VCE, the yellow is YR, and the red is RBH.

I'm just not into bright sets like this, and it's not very Transistor-esque, but feel free to do whatever you want with the colors.

Offline CharismaIllya

Re: [IC] Semiconductor, a Transistor Inspired Keyset (Now with novelties)
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 00:05:13 »
Here are the novelties I've come up with so far:
144972-0

144652-1

I'm aware that some of the vector images may be too thin for the molding process, so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'll have a set up soon that's based on electrical engineering symbols (http://imgur.com/3TKc52n - I'm sorry that the symbols are so small :confused:).
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 August 2016, 13:05:00 by CharismaIllya »

Offline eksuen

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 01:25:06 »
I like where this is headed.

Personally, I think the Camerata set with some VBV colored accent keys would look neat.

Offline shangrila500

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 02:12:25 »
Snazzy, I like it quite a bit!

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:28:58 »
camerata one looks amazing

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #50 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 13:14:15 »

Personally, I think the Camerata set with some VBV colored accent keys would look neat.

That does look pretty neat.
144684-0

A little Dolch-y, but that's not a bad thing.

I also tried it with VBV legends:
144686-1

Not bad at all

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:44:52 »

I was messing around with the colors and came up with this, which I think is pretty cool:

144704-0

What do you think? Should I stick with the white/red alphas, or does this look good?

Offline eksuen

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:47:58 »

I was messing around with the colors and came up with this, which I think is pretty cool:

What do you think? Should I stick with the white/red alphas, or does this look good?

I like the white/red alphas more. I am partial to lighter alphas with darker mods. I know that some people prefer the converse though.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:28:53 »

(Attachment Link)

I like the white/red alphas more. I am partial to lighter alphas with darker mods. I know that some people prefer the converse though.

Yep, everybody has their preferences. I don't really know how to feel about the new one either, so I'll sideline it for now. As for your first request for green accents, here's what I have beyond the KLE renders I made earlier:

144732-0

I have to say that I think this version and its inverse with the grey/gold alphas are probably the best ones so far. All of the game's main colors seem to get representation.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 07:47:17 »

(Attachment Link)

Yep, everybody has their preferences. I don't really know how to feel about the new one either, so I'll sideline it for now. As for your first request for green accents, here's what I have beyond the KLE renders I made earlier:

I have to say that I think this version and its inverse with the grey/gold alphas are probably the best ones so far. All of the game's main colors seem to get representation.

Hm, I am not sure about that. The game has a lot of browns, yellows and oranges to frame the blue accents. Representing them in just the legends is not enough, imho.

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 08:00:40 »
blue accents with a child kit for red accents would be awesome imo

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 08:02:38 »
As for the novelties:

1. Copyright?
2. Probably way too detailed for Double Shot caps :/

Offline AresTheGod

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 11:48:09 »

That does look pretty neat.
More

Love this one !

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 13:20:44 »
great colors!  Love the Red/Black/Yellow

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 19:11:24 »
As for the novelties:

1. Copyright?
2. Probably way too detailed for Double Shot caps :/

Well copyright isn't stopping GMK Hydro, so it won't stop me ;). You're right about the images being too complex though. Void() and Cull() will likely work with some modification, and maybe Bounce() as well, but Breach() will probably not make it there. I was working on a version of Jaunt() that would work, but I'm not done with it yet. As for the gripe about the lack of oranges and browns, I've really been trying to address this. Every time I add orange or brown as a keycap color instead of a legend color, the set becomes too bright. I'm sure there's a good way to do it, but I haven't found it quite yet. Do you have anything in mind?

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 20:19:46 »
You know that Transistor is an indie title, right? I think they might actually be cool with the keyset if you just ask them (after you have a great set with support from the community hehe)

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 21:13:00 »
You know that Transistor is an indie title, right? I think they might actually be cool with the keyset if you just ask them (after you have a great set with support from the community hehe)

Yes, I am aware that Transistor is an indie game, and yes, I was planning on contacting Supergiant before I officially used any of their assets or anything similar to them. Though I guess I sounded like I would use them without asking before. Call it a joke in poor taste. Anyways, I don't know how they'd react to a request like that, but I'd hope they'd like the idea. And yeah, I'd love it I people liked my idea, but it still needs work, and people might not like it then anyways. Here's to hoping.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 15:48:09 »
Sorry, this wasn't intented to sound ill-intended. Just saying that indies should be supported as much as possible :) I wonder if they would even contribute to the keyset (help on the colors or novelties) if we ask them nicely. Would need a good intro of the scene and the specific idea, probably.

Anyhow, good luck on the set! looking forward too more iterations!

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 18:19:26 »

(Attachment Link)

thats pretty tight dude. how does it look with gold legends on the alphas and pink legends on the mods?

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 22:59:32 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

thats pretty tight dude. how does it look with gold legends on the alphas and pink legends on the mods?

Looks like this:

145016-0

Maybe it would look cooler if I made the alpha legends darker and the modifier legends lighter.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 17:09:41 »
Sorry, this wasn't intented to sound ill-intended. Just saying that indies should be supported as much as possible :) I wonder if they would even contribute to the keyset (help on the colors or novelties) if we ask them nicely. Would need a good intro of the scene and the specific idea, probably.

Thanks! It didn't really sound ill intended at all. I asked for criticism and I got some. Can't really complain about that. Anyways, with regard to your suggestion, I came up with this, which really puts the orange accents in the forefront:

145164-0

The alpha colors are taken from the menus: dark, cool black with cyan details, and the modifiers are taken from the burnt orange and red dusk of the city skyline. The modifiers are for the Camerata/Process. I think it's a little indulgent, but every step is progress.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 21:08:19 »
I love this set & hope it makes it to production. I don't have any takeaways & love it how it is!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 18:03:51 »

Thanks! It didn't really sound ill intended at all. I asked for criticism and I got some. Can't really complain about that. Anyways, with regard to your suggestion, I came up with this, which really puts the orange accents in the forefront:

(Attachment Link)

The alpha colors are taken from the menus: dark, cool black with cyan details, and the modifiers are taken from the burnt orange and red dusk of the city skyline. The modifiers are for the Camerata/Process. I think it's a little indulgent, but every step is progress.

This is definitely one of my favourites from this thread. Perhaps something with a little more contrast for the mod legends?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 23:14:16 »

(Attachment Link)

This is definitely one of my favourites from this thread. Perhaps something with a little more contrast for the mod legends?

Well here's a version with brown legends, which was the reddish color that looked the most clear:

145214-0

After using brown and looking through some more pictures like these (http://imgur.com/a/qbv7x), though, I did one with gold/brown modifiers that I think looks nice and thematic:

145216-1

I could work with either of these.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 23:16:43 »
I love this set & hope it makes it to production. I don't have any takeaways & love it how it is!

Thanks! It's nice to know that someone liked the first design. Although the set will probably change some more before I try making something out of it, I hope it still ends up being something you like :D.

Offline gerankle

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 01:46:28 »

(Attachment Link)

I think this is the best color combination. The colors fit the concentrations found in the sword a lot better IMO.

Would buy. Great game, would be a great keycap set. Also, love the novelties.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 11:55:51 »

(Attachment Link)

I think this is the best color combination. The colors fit the concentrations found in the sword a lot better IMO.

Would buy. Great game, would be a great keycap set. Also, love the novelties.

It seemed like quite a few people liked that version, but I thought it was too bright to represent the game. I redid it with darker mods though, and I like it quite a bit now.

With red/white accents:
145307-0

With black/red accents:
145239-1

Do these do anything for you?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:09:59 by CharismaIllya »

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 15:42:38 »
vote for the beige black version

Offline gerankle

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 16:52:45 »

It seemed like quite a few people liked that version, but I thought it was too bright to represent the game. I redid it with darker mods though, and I like it quite a bit now.

With red/white accents:
(Attachment Link)

With black/red accents:
(Attachment Link)

They don't seem darker than the original? And they're both the same picture haha. Wrong uploads?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 17:10:50 by gerankle »

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:08:20 »

With red/white accents:
(Attachment Link)

With black/red accents:
(Attachment Link)

They don't seem darker than the original? And they're both the same picture haha. Wrong uploads?

Ha yeah, that was the wrong upload. Here's the other one:

145305-0

And as for the colors, compare YCF to YG here:

It's less vibrant, which I think is nice.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:12:37 by CharismaIllya »

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:14:51 »
vote for the beige black version

Do you think it would help to make a poll and see which version is the most popular? Everyone seems to want something different :confused:.

Offline gerankle

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:33:27 »
It seems there are a few possible options, all of which are up in the air a bit. I think focusing on the themes would be good. The three I've seen here are the Camerata, the Transistor, and the city?

Maybe narrow down designs for all three and then poll for most interest?

I feel like based on the design for the sword (and its wielder, Red), this design has been the most fitting. It has the yellow of the recent designs, but the text color from the old design.

145309-0

As for the Camerata, this one looked great! But with the novelties of course.

145311-1

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 03:29:43 »
It seems there are a few possible options, all of which are up in the air a bit. I think focusing on the themes would be good. The three I've seen here are the Camerata, the Transistor, and the city?

Maybe narrow down designs for all three and then poll for most interest?

I feel like based on the design for the sword (and its wielder, Red), this design has been the most fitting. It has the yellow of the recent designs, but the text color from the old design.

(Attachment Link)

As for the Camerata, this one looked great! But with the novelties of course.

(Attachment Link)

Camerata set will have gold legends on the accents, like this:

145359-0

And the other set looks like this:

145361-1

A sort of inverted version of the original.

I'll put these three up in a poll and update the post tomorrow.

Offline qrin

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 08:01:22 »
Ah I love the Camerata set! Not so much a fan of the blue and yellow but it looks beautiful as well!

Offline CharismaIllya

Re: [IC] SA Semiconductor (PLEASE TAKE THE POLL AND SHARE YOUR OPINION)
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 13:19:47 »
Shameless bump to give visibility to my poll :blank:. Really appreciate the input.

Offline AresTheGod

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 13:28:51 »
My vote goes for the Camerata, love the red/white !

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 16:41:16 »
My vote goes for the Camerata, love the red/white !

Thanks for the input! I don't think I'll have a tremendous amount of votes, but the Camerata set seemed popular, so my money is on that one.

Offline Geckt

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 12:38:01 »
Camerata 1, if the yellow is red instead on the black caps would be really nice. The yellow seems out of place somehow.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 14:16:33 »
I like the novelties!  Kill the windows key.  And my vote is for camerata.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 15:33:46 »
I actually like Cloudbank the best out of the original post, but the blue accent dolch-ey looking Camerata with VBV legends is even better (from post #50)!

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:54:42 »
Camerata 1, if the yellow is red instead on the black caps would be really nice. The yellow seems out of place somehow.

Like this?

145896-0

It looks good, but I like it when the legends contrast more. Does white do anything for you?

145898-1

I wanted to avoid white because I think it looks kind of generic, but it doesn't look bad.

I like the novelties!  Kill the windows key.  And my vote is for camerata.

Thanks! Don't know about the image novelties, but I'm rather happy with the text novelties myself. And yeah the windows key is just a placeholder. It'll probably just say "super" like the rest of the SP sets I've seen.

I actually like Cloudbank the best out of the original post, but the blue accent dolch-ey looking Camerata with VBV legends is even better (from post #50)!

See, I'm finding myself in a bit of a turmoil over this. People seem to like the Camerata set the most, and I agree that it's the most cohesive of the three, plus there hasn't been a white/red set in a while, but I'm not sure I'd call it Transistor themed. I think that both the current and the original Cloudbank set (I don't think I ever shared the original:
More
145900-2
. I thought it was too similar to the recent Midnight set) are the sets that best represent the game, so I'd like to save the Transistor theme for either of those sets if it ever happens, and push ahead with the Camerata set under a new theme (I was thinking Communist propaganda, but that overlaps too much with Yuri). The other thing is that I'm dying to use VBV in a set. I've never seen it used before (Jukebox and Midnight used VCO), and it's a beautiful color, so I was really hoping to make it to market with one of those designs.

All that aside, the VBV legends on white caps is just impossible to read, so the alphas just wouldn't work, but the VBV accents are nice. I hope I or someone else can find a way to use them for something. Thanks for the support!