Author Topic: Best options for 75% layout with a floating-key style and Gateron switches?  (Read 6382 times)

Offline blai5000

Hi, was wondering what my options are for such a keyboard.  I'm pretty sure the only option would be a custom keyboard, considering that floating keys, 75% layout, and Gateron switches are already non-standard for keyboards individually, so it may be impossible to find all three qualities in a manufactured keyboard....but given the price of customs, I wanted to check in and see my options before budgeting for something expensive.

In the event that I have to get a custom...any recommendations?  I know GONS and winkeyless.kr have the MX-mini replica (centered USB cord) and the b.mini (Esc-key USB cord) respectively, and they only do Cherry-type switches, so I'd have to get my own Gaterons and either learn to solder or find and pay an assembler.

Thanks!

Offline blighty

Re: Best options for 75% layout with a floating-key style and Gateron switches?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 23:12:02 »
What are "floating keys"?  I'm a fan of 75% boards, but have no idea what you are referring to....
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 23:18:15 »
What are "floating keys"?  I'm a fan of 75% boards, but have no idea what you are referring to....

Where the switch plate is the top of the case.

Best bet here would be to build your own.  Swill has a great cad tool.  Just import from www.keyboard-layout-editor.com, and it gives you cad files for the case style you are looking for.  Though your two options for case, are sandwich style, which is multiple layers to form a solid case, or just top plate, and bottom plate, where you would use spacers. 

I am not personally aware of any 75% boards with this style, unless Gon has one.  Though I don't keep up on cherry stuff that close.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline blighty

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 23:40:23 »

Where the switch plate is the top of the case.

Best bet here would be to build your own.  Swill has a great cad tool.  Just import from www.keyboard-layout-editor.com, and it gives you cad files for the case style you are looking for.  Though your two options for case, are sandwich style, which is multiple layers to form a solid case, or just top plate, and bottom plate, where you would use spacers. 

I am not personally aware of any 75% boards with this style, unless Gon has one.  Though I don't keep up on cherry stuff that close.

Hmm, I guess I don't pay as much attention to things as I thought (i prefer the case hiding the edges of the caps/switches)... Doesn't winkeyless and GON make/offer "floating" 75% boards with some to all soldering options?  You might have to send them the gateron switches and wait months for the build, but that could be an option.  You'd save time and money buying kits and soldering things together yourself, assuming you have the time to put things together...

TLDR:  Find 75% kit w/case, pcb, stabs, solder together with your own gateron switches and LEDs...
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 23:44:58 »
Check out the MK84's breh: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php

edit: dont think this has the "floating keys" look you may be looking for. If you're balling on a budget, maybe it is though. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 23:47:18 by digi »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 15:16:11 »

Like this (just arrived today):

Varmilo VA87MR by Nick Bair, on Flickr

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Data

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 21:04:38 »

Show Image

Varmilo Love!

Offline blai5000

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 22:34:52 »

Show Image

Yeah, I've been looking at that Varmilo that just popped up on MassDrop.  It hits all marks except for the 75% requirement...

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 22:37:48 »
I wouldn't worry to much about layout.  It is only one size up, and is a standard layout for caps.  75% boards can have some funny sized caps that make it difficult for aftermarket options
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 22:47:43 »
if you're set on 75% it's best to go the korean route. Hoffman the mod has a GON in the style you like:

winkeyless and kaliet also make these floating-style 75% housings. the only korean 75% with a full profile case is the Duck Octagon

i don't think any of them offer gateron assembly though, you'll have to order the kits and do everything yourself

Offline munch

• !
sorry for necroing this thread... but I'm looking for a DIY/kit/custom 75% floaty, preferrably all-metal, solid piece - not sandwich/skeleton. does such a thing exist?
I will get my own switches and all so a full custom kit would be ideal, I don't have the means to de-solder a full keyboard currently :p

I saw there's a tric75 but I don't like the acrylic cutouts a whole lot, and availability might be an issue.
other than that, it seems difficult to find.