Author Topic: KUL ES-87 Review - The keyboard that got me to join GeekHack  (Read 5588 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
KUL ES-87 Review - The keyboard that got me to join GeekHack
« on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 12:07:58 »
Yah I know this keyboard is old....but it's special to me! I joined GeekHack because I wanted to get this keyboard! My coworker knew I was looking for an affordable keyboard and he mentioned he saw someone selling this on GeekHack. I'm so glad I bought it and joined!

Offline Altis

Re: KUL ES-87 Review - The keyboard that got me to join GeekHack
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:14:58 »
It's still a very well thought out keyboard:

- Standard sizing, detachable cable with multiple routings, dip switches to swap backspace, control, etc (can be set up like HHKB), rubber feet for both heights, offers MX Clear stock, four top colors, Cherry stabilizers (my favorite), reasonably priced...

WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:18:19 »
One of the major issues with this keyboard was the ping, which I fortunately did not experience too much of. Thanks to a YouTube commenter, this was a more prevalent issue on the Cherry MX Clear variant.

He attributed it to not having the metal plate mate correctly with the PCB. It was missing a center screw.

I'm not too sure I agree with him as many custom keyboards don't even have the plate screwed into the PCB, but rather into the case itself. Of course, this could be a matter of metal case vs plastic case, and whether the middle screw plays a big role in each application or not.

Offline Altis

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 19:00:57 »
One of the major issues with this keyboard was the ping, which I fortunately did not experience too much of. Thanks to a YouTube commenter, this was a more prevalent issue on the Cherry MX Clear variant.

He attributed it to not having the metal plate mate correctly with the PCB. It was missing a center screw.

I'm not too sure I agree with him as many custom keyboards don't even have the plate screwed into the PCB, but rather into the case itself. Of course, this could be a matter of metal case vs plastic case, and whether the middle screw plays a big role in each application or not.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's the plate (seems like a stretch IMO) but my MX Clears did ping for sure (though I find mech boards do to an extent). It sounded like the crowbar from Half-Life.

I replaced the switches with Zealios and the ping is pretty much entirely gone. I might try to get some vintage MX blacks in there though at some point to give them a try.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 10:17:57 »
Funny, this was my first modern mechanical keyboard too. I mean, not counting the old-ass AEK II I've had kicking around since the '90s. I liked the KUL, but eventually moved on to Topre... but not before blowing a couple hundred $$ on various key cap group buys :)