Author Topic: [IC] GMK WoB/BoW Icon extension kit (LIVE! AWAITING GB THREAD APPROVAL)  (Read 35645 times)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Re: [IC] GMK WoB Icon extension kit
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 14:17:46 »
Show Image

Did someone want windowed caps? :O
Yessir! I would love to have the option of both stepped and non-stepped windowed Caps, if it doesn't significantly change the price :)

Leaning towards stepped only as of right now, we will see! In any case, I think that it's a good addition to the kit.
Any reason for going stepped?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hmm, it was difficult. First and foremost I imagine the people actually using a windowed caps are those who are looking for a retro look (not exclusively ofc), and those type of users also tend to go for stepped. Honestly though, it just looks better windowed than the standard caps does IMO. :D

Offline tomu

• hi
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 18:21:35 »
yes

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

G80-3700 | HHKB Pro 2

Offline megaforce

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 18:23:34 »
would be nice to have stepped and non-stepped

but god bless u either way

Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Re: [IC] GMK WoB/BoW Icon extension kit (HUGE UPDATE! Kits+BoW)
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 17:30:20 »
Update time ladies and dragons!

- BoW kit added!
- Windowed Caps added!

Offline Zurg Eon

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 18:41:22 »
In for WoB kit.

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 19:12:50 »
Can't believe I didn't see this the first day. In for a couple each of both kits.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 20:06:29 »
Love all the updates. Very thorough and detailed. Will be waiting at the door when you launch, and will pick up several kits of each version to support you! <3

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 20:25:13 »
oooh nice

Offline toejelly

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 00:03:48 »
yes

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 02:17:58 »
In!

You can never have enough icon mods. I need more of this:

Offline Rogue_Jellybean

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 02:44:39 »
Interested in this to use with GMK Minimal! The worst part about that set was the use of text mods...

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 04:44:08 »
Thank you Everyone!

If you wish to support this project, please consider using this signature to show your support!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101218.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/e1ZIzrh.png[/img][/url]
Current agenda:
- Look into adding an Esc key to both kits
- Separate spacebar kit for allowing use with common OG sets/use as accents, mainly 6.25 and 7u of each color, 4 spacebars total - Not much use to run other spacebars due to GMK Spacekeys

What do you think about these suggestions?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 05:06:30 »
What icon would be used for esc key ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 06:14:18 »
What icon would be used for esc key ?

It wouldn't use an Icon, it'd be text. The esc icon is IMO very ugly, and most people prefer to use text esc even though an icon esc might've been included in their kit.

Offline dk4one

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 08:07:14 »
Thank you Everyone!

If you wish to support this project, please consider using this signature to show your support!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101218.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/e1ZIzrh.png[/img][/url]
Current agenda:
- Look into adding an Esc key to both kits
- Separate spacebar kit for allowing use with common OG sets/use as accents, mainly 6.25 and 7u of each color, 4 spacebars total - Not much use to run other spacebars due to GMK Spacekeys

What do you think about these suggestions?

100%. Please make a separate spacebar kit happened. I'm a big fan of 7U, but its okay to include 6.25U as well. I think now with just these small additions, they can be used as both extension kit and add on kit to pretty much any set out there, because black and white accents go well with everything. Huge plus for regular esc. I agree icon esc looks very ugly.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 08:41:34 »
A square Esc icon, like the one used in GMK WoB Hiragana or the HuB profile caps, looks a bit better than GMK's standard, circular one in my opinion.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 09:56:04 »
A square Esc icon, like the one used in GMK WoB Hiragana or the HuB profile caps, looks a bit better than GMK's standard, circular one in my opinion.

That's an external link icon, lol. That and the MoDo escape icon are hideous.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 11:12:29 »
I will have to agree, we will stick to standard text Esc should it be added to the kits. :/

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 22:46:44 »
I will have to agree, we will stick to standard text Esc should it be added to the kits. :/
Standard Esc + spacebar kit are bae hihi

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 02:17:59 »
Add a BoG kit (maybe separate?) and then you have the mother of all replacement kits.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 15:16:43 by MacSurfy »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 05:06:43 »
ur hideous

But no, jokes aside, I get what you guys mean. I still have to advocate for the inclusion of bottom row icon mods, though, since imo it makes a lot of sense in the context of an icon extension kit like this.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 05:14:25 »
ur hideous

But no, jokes aside, I get what you guys mean. I still have to advocate for the inclusion of bottom row icon mods, though, since imo it makes a lot of sense in the context of an icon extension kit like this.
That's basically my mindset too - I'd never use them personally, but I think it just makes sense to include them in this.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 08:22:36 »
ur hideous

I am not a pretty man, that's for sure.  :D

These are classic icon mods though, not to be confused with the inclusion of the odd "shape" icons that have been included with many recent group buys. Those kinda ruin a set imo.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 08:56:46 by wholypantalones »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 17:18:45 »
ur hideous

That's basically my mindset too - I'd never use them personally, but I think it just makes sense to include them in this.

I hear you, but you need to go back and ask yourself what the purpose and goals are for these kits. It becomes very easy to stray from the initial goals because one could add keys endlessly that "make sense". It's not that I am not susceptible to feedback, it is me realizing that I need to prioritize feedback that I believe will benefit the initial goals of the kit. I've thought long and hard about a bottom row, but I really don't see the key increase as a worthwhile addition (that goes for both icon bottom row as well as text bottom row).

The main feedback I am looking at now is Otanis one for adding Esc keys to both kits, but also looking into a separate spacebar kit. Personally I do not see the reason for a spacebar kit as a standalone, but I do see and understand the argument for an Esc. I would love to hear some input on these two specific topics! :)

Also, it will be interesting to see the quotes for the WoB/BoW kits separately but also together, it's not a terrifying amount of keys and should be fine even combined... We will find out soon. :D

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 17:36:06 »
I hear you, but you need to go back and ask yourself what the purpose and goals are for these kits. It becomes very easy to stray from the initial goals because one could add keys endlessly that "make sense". It's not that I am not susceptible to feedback, it is me realizing that I need to prioritize feedback that I believe will benefit the initial goals of the kit. I've thought long and hard about a bottom row, but I really don't see the key increase as a worthwhile addition (that goes for both icon bottom row as well as text bottom row).

The main feedback I am looking at now is Otanis one for adding Esc keys to both kits, but also looking into a separate spacebar kit. Personally I do not see the reason for a spacebar kit as a standalone, but I do see and understand the argument for an Esc. I would love to hear some input on these two specific topics! :)

Also, it will be interesting to see the quotes for the WoB/BoW kits separately but also together, it's not a terrifying amount of keys and should be fine even combined... We will find out soon. :D

Love all the changes. Would love to make a few comments regarding the kit configuration (esc/bottom row icon mods/spacebar/etc.)

1) I think a regular esc is favored over icon esc regardless of what type in almost any case. It's more standard, and goes well with everything.

2) Same thing goes for the full icon mods bottom row. Nice to have, but once you start adding full icon support for bottom row, that's like 12 keys per kit we're talking about (both standard and tsangan support). Simply just not feasible for a small icon mods extension kit. Plus I think most people would rather prefer icon mods + text mods bottom row. Janglad did not replace the bottom row in his base kit for Modern Dolch with full icon mods for a reason.

3) I think a separate spacebar kit is nice. It enables the full accent combo potential. It works very nicely for people who only have either BoW or WoB set and want the full accent (esc, enter, space) combo. Having it as a separate kit would not put any financial strain on the main kit. As far as I know, separate spacebar kit has never struggled in the past, and the price should be relatively very affordable (ballparking around $20) so MOQ should be a breeze.

Anyways, thank you Mr. Emir for putting everything under consideration. Doing the god's work for us peasants...
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 17:37:46 by otanishock »

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 17:40:21 »
Cool Emir,

So the ESC in the kit is meant for accents on inverted setups?

If we are going to have the ESC.. make it right, make it metal :cool:
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 17:42:30 by RETURNISO »

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 17:58:51 »
ur hideous

A couple of thoughts:

I believe that the kits are fine as-is, but if people are buying these kits to have accents it makes sense to have escape included. Text over icon preferably.

Spacebar kit as proposed (6.25u and 7u) is less useful than adding an escape key since these sizes are already included in most GMK sets, and these keycaps would really only be useful as accents. I suggest adding 6u spacebars, as recent WoB/BoW kits either don't include them (e.g. GMK Minimal) or they're shoved into an extension kit that few people bought (e.g. GMK Metaverse).

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 05:26:17 »
ur hideous

A couple of thoughts:

I believe that the kits are fine as-is, but if people are buying these kits to have accents it makes sense to have escape included. Text over icon preferably.

Spacebar kit as proposed (6.25u and 7u) is less useful than adding an escape key since these sizes are already included in most GMK sets, and these keycaps would really only be useful as accents. I suggest adding 6u spacebars, as recent WoB/BoW kits either don't include them (e.g. GMK Minimal) or they're shoved into an extension kit that few people bought (e.g. GMK Metaverse).

I don't mind adding 6u spacebars, the grand total would only be 6 spacebars in the kit anyway - which shouldn't be all too expensive (even though a lot of OG sets feature 6u space).
I imagine some people getting the spacebar kit just to replace their existing, shiny one as well, as the spacebar is likely the key which suffers the most from use. :P

I'm all for offering it as a kit, if it makes it it makes it - if it doesn't then welp. I just need to doublecheck with vendors to see what refunds is like these days for failed kits, as IIRC paypal has been doing some shenanigans (idk if it's in affect, if it was but was revised, or what's going on...). I imagine no vendor would want to run a kit they don't really believe in just to run it.

Esc will be added; in text form.

Offline gfreeman11898

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 11:15:18 »
Probably will pick this up but I also need this in WS1 on N9 and CR on U9.  :thumb:

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 11:44:33 »

I don't mind adding 6u spacebars, the grand total would only be 6 spacebars

There are two different kinds of 6u spacebar, center stem and off-center, so that would be 8 spacebars total.

Offline bigapplepietart

• Topre Convert
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 13:40:18 »
I’m in for 2-3 WoB sets and possibly a BoW set. Would love for some 7u spacebars, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me. It’s been a long hunt to find someone selling a set, so this GB is perfect for me!
Current:
Palmetto (Ultraglides) | Heavy Grail (Purple DES V1) | hiney tkl one PC (Orange SKCM Alps) | Lunar II (Green SKCL Alps) | Sho S60 V2 (45g stock domes) | HHKB Hybrid Type-S

Past:
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blues) | FC660M (MX Blues) | GH60 (Ergo Clears) | 8x mkI (Vintage Blacks) | Klippe (Sakurios) | Equinox (Sakurios) | MGA (Silent Alpacas) | Kei (Creamsicles) | KFE CE (Alpacas) | Rukia R1 (Durock L7) | H60 (Silent Blacks) | E80-1800 (MX Blacks) | Ottantaquattro (Vintage Blacks) | hbcp (Vintage Blacks) | HHKB Pro 2 Stock (45g Topre) | ADK64 (Blue SKCM Alps)

Offline ever9415

• EVER STORY
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 18:37:50 »
Is BoW and Minimal the same white?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 19:59:54 »
Is BoW and Minimal the same white?
BoW is just a generic term; there isn't one specific set called GMK BoW. That being said, yeah, both this BoW extension kit and Minimal use WS1.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 22:44:27 »
GMK Barebones Stormtrooper technically was the first black on white GMK set and it used stock colors CR black on CP white.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 09:35:44 »
WoB is now available through drop.com again! Perfect opportunity to grab a set while waiting for this GB! :)

In the meantime, we are working on yet another BEAUTIFUL update. More on that very sooooon...

Offline fer.real

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 10:39:59 »
WoB is now available through drop.com again! Perfect opportunity to grab a set while waiting for this GB! :)

In the meantime, we are working on yet another BEAUTIFUL update. More on that very sooooon...

It couldn't have been timed better!

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 17:40:26 »
WoB + BoW accents TGR Alice by Yuktsi

Proposed combined kit (esc added):
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2019, 16:11:14 by Emir »

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 18:08:37 »
WoB + BoW accents TGR Alice by Yuktsi

Show Image

Show Image

Yes, yes, legends on right half bottom row, I know

Proposed combined kit (esc added):
Show Image

I'm for combining kits

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 10:48:10 »
I am in if WoB is available as a stand alone kit.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 17:51:43 »

With so few keys, a combined kit might still fetch a good price.

We are about to request some quotes, after that I will have a better base to make a decision from. If it becomes too expensive, it'll likely be kept separate - but I am hoping for a good pricing for the combined kit. We will see, I will let you all know! :)

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 18:57:52 »

With so few keys, a combined kit might still fetch a good price.

We are about to request some quotes, after that I will have a better base to make a decision from. If it becomes too expensive, it'll likely be kept separate - but I am hoping for a good pricing for the combined kit. We will see, I will let you all know! :)

Regardless, they'll both make good accents for either kit. Thanks for doing this one.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 22:27:12 »

If you don't mind, ask how much of a price difference adding a non-stepped windowed Caps Lock would make ;)

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 02:50:55 »

If you don't mind, ask how much of a price difference adding a non-stepped windowed Caps Lock would make ;)

If you are desperate for one, I have a few extras from the Blanks GB, when they ship. It would be blank then, but?  :)

Offline fleeceman

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 09:36:11 »
Curious what BoW sets these will match? Pristine?

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 10:03:51 »
Curious what BoW sets these will match? Pristine?
Minimal

Offline Saga

• Pew Pew Particle Accelerators
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 14:40:23 »
Badly want BoW right now

Offline ricesteam

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 15:11:15 »
Interested!

Offline appaboy

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 21:19:15 »
in
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline krey

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 21:46:48 »
In and interested!
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 17:53:34 »
Including the bottom row in the set with icons might boost the sale so much since it can be purchased to match so many sets even tho you dont have BOW / WOB