Author Topic: Matias Tactile Pro 2  (Read 9480 times)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« on: Sat, 13 October 2007, 21:55:14 »
Typing on the bad boy now.  =-D  More later.

It is definitely loud.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 October 2007, 21:59:59 »
Congrats on your new purchase!

Try not to wake the neighbors . . .  :shock:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 October 2007, 01:24:01 »
I also can't wait to hear what you say about it. I remain a little skeptical about them.

Offline Bluemercury

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 November 2007, 19:47:05 »
What's the difference between the model M buckling springs with this mechanical switches???
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 November 2007, 21:49:30 »
I'm loving the way this keyboard feels, but there is a LOT of side-to-side play in the keys that make it feel a bit too loose and wild.  The plastic case does look and feel cheap exactly as other reviews have stated.  I don't think this detracts from the experience of using the keyboard, because while it isn't a brick, it weighs enough to stay planted.  The plastic quality is something that bothers you whenever you have to pick it up. The plastic flip up legs are sturdy enough, but look and feel VERY cheap.  

Makes me feel a little goofy for spending so much on it but it performs fairly well once you get used to the side-to-side play in the keys.  And...I don't think I was going to get to type on one anywhere before I bought it anyway so I took the plunge.

As a straight up replacement for the dogmeat keyboard I was using (previous gen apple wireless keyboard) it is light-years ahead.  I am blaming that keyboard specifically for my RSI in my left wrist.  I'll probably use this one for a long time, but who knows...an old style SMK-88 with blue cherrys is SUPPOSED to be on it's way here (AHEM!).  

Oh yeah, and (again for the cost) I don't understand why they didn't build a USB hub into the keyboard so it takes only one USB port on the host.  1 USB 1.0 plug hooks up the keyboard, 1 USB plug simply extends another USB port to the side of the keyboard.  A CHEAP two port hub could shrink the diameter of the cord by half as well as the USB footprint of the device.  I actually use the keyboard's USB port...I have a kid with an iPod shuffle.

It's clicky, feels good, it is a major improvement, but it could be better...especially at this price.  I got mine VERY slightly used for $100 -- retails for $150 and I dont' think they are available again yet.  Good price for this particular keyboard, I just think Matias could have done a better job of it for what they are asking for it.

=-D

iMav, if we do a live exchange, I'll tote the Tactile Pro 2.0 so you can have a look/feel.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline fkeidjn

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 November 2007, 21:53:04 »
Quote from: Bluemercury
What's the difference between the model M buckling springs with this mechanical switches???

The model M is actually a membrane keyboard, but instead of the rubber domes, you have buckling springs.  This site has more information on how the buckling spring actually works.  As for the mechanical switch keyboard, each key has its own switch to function.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline Bluemercury

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 November 2007, 23:20:10 »
Quote from: fkeidjn

The model M is actually a membrane keyboard, but instead of the rubber domes, you have buckling springs.  This site has more information on how the buckling spring actually works.  As for the mechanical switch keyboard, each key has its own switch to function.

Is the feeling identical between the two?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline iMav

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 November 2007, 06:54:17 »

They definitely feel different.  But I suspect if you are a big fan of the "feel" of the buckling spring keyboards, you'd like a high tactile mechanical keyswitch.  

I've always been a big Model M fan...and very much like the feel of the blue-stemmed Cherry switches.  I primarily swtich between a HHKB Pro, a Model M "mini", and a blue-stemmed SMK-88.  It is key layout that has me favoring the HHKB Pro right now.  The electrical capacitive keys on the HHKB Pro are certainly nice (and quite a bit quieter), but I have a feeling I'd really like a blue Cherry HHKB very much (or even a bucking spring one).

All are a marked improvement over the run-of-the-mill, mushy crap keyboards that seem so common these days.

Offline Bluemercury

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 November 2007, 09:14:29 »
Quote from: iMav

They definitely feel different.  But I suspect if you are a big fan of the "feel" of the buckling spring keyboards, you'd like a high tactile mechanical keyswitch.  

I've always been a big Model M fan...and very much like the feel of the blue-stemmed Cherry switches.  I primarily swtich between a HHKB Pro, a Model M "mini", and a blue-stemmed SMK-88.  It is key layout that has me favoring the HHKB Pro right now.  The electrical capacitive keys on the HHKB Pro are certainly nice (and quite a bit quieter), but I have a feeling I'd really like a blue Cherry HHKB very much (or even a bucking spring one).

All are a marked improvement over the run-of-the-mill, mushy crap keyboards that seem so common these days.

Where can i find one of these mechanical types? i wonder if there are european shops selling those...
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 November 2007, 10:15:25 »
The Cherry rep I recently talked to said that Cherry blue and brown stemmed keyboards (tactile) are still quite popular in Europe, so in theory you should have an easier time finding something than we in the US could.

Offline Bluemercury

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 November 2007, 11:43:54 »
Quote from: xsphat
The Cherry rep I recently talked to said that Cherry blue and brown stemmed keyboards (tactile) are still quite popular in Europe, so in theory you should have an easier time finding something than we in the US could.

What are these models?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 November 2007, 17:38:21 »
He didn't know anything about the European or Asian markets, sorry.

Offline Bluemercury

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 November 2007, 18:51:06 »

The blue-stemmed SMK-88 is made by Cherry? it seems you use small keyboards i see :P. The HHKB is not clicky right?I need to try one of the mechanical switch keyboards....i prefer the clicky keyboards to the non-clicky....:P
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 29 November 2007, 19:28:44 »
The HHKB Pro is not a clicky keyboard, but it is clacky. The click is a pop in the mechanism at the point the key registers to let the typist know the keystroke happened. That is why the Model M in a membrane keyboard, but it's still really clicky. The pink Alps sliders in my Apple keyboard are not clicky switches, but the keyboard is pretty damned loud anyway. I prefer the clicky models but the HHKB satisfies even without it. As do the Cherry ML switches.

The click in my other two Alps keyboards (Another Apple with orange stems and the SMK85 with black stems) use clicky Alps switches. They are really loud with plenty of clicks and clacks and the springs' rebound is better than a Model M.

Confused yet? Check out the wiki on this site for reviews and explanations of the meaning of the color of the sliders on a switch and everything else. Plus, check out my review of the SMK 85, I included a recording of the black stemmed Alps sliders in action.

Offline Bluemercury

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 29 November 2007, 21:46:23 »
The HHKB Pro is not a clicky keyboard, but it is clacky. The click is a pop in the mechanism at the point the key registers to let the typist know the keystroke happened. That is why the Model M in a membrane keyboard, but it's still really clicky. The pink Alps sliders in my Apple keyboard are not clicky switches, but the keyboard is pretty damned loud anyway. I prefer the clicky models but the HHKB satisfies even without it. As do the Cherry ML switches.

The click in my other two Alps keyboards (Another Apple with orange stems and the SMK85 with black stems) use clicky Alps switches. They are really loud with plenty of clicks and clacks and the springs' rebound is better than a Model M.

Confused yet? Check out the wiki on this site for reviews and explanations of the meaning of the color of the sliders on a switch and everything else. Plus, check out my review of the SMK 85, I included a recording of the black stemmed Alps sliders in action.

Can you give the links then please? Anyway what's the meaning of ALPS.....i need to study all these switch keyboard models :P

But thanks for the info.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 November 2007, 22:29:45 »
Alps is the name of the company that makes the switch.

I am guessing you want links for the HHKB Pro 2, so here they are:

http://benippon.com/s?q=happy+hacking+keyboard

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=346

Remember, you want the Pro, not the Lite. The Lite and Lite 2 keyboards blow more than the wind.

And here if the link for the SMK 85 on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mechanical-Switch-PS-2-SMK85-Compact-Keyboard_W0QQitemZ200177083559

Offline Bluemercury

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 08:38:00 »

Im trying to contact the cherry rep for keyboards to ask about European markets.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 19:45:14 »
Please let us know what you find out.

Offline fkeidjn

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 December 2007, 00:11:35 »
Alps is the name of the company that makes the switch.

For some odd reason, Alps decided to discontinue the production of the keyswitch, which is why the Matias Tactile Pro 2 makes their own keyswitches now.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline mr_sf_applet

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 December 2007, 00:16:54 »
Do we know this for a fact? Is there an online reference to this development? It's been bruited in this forum, but so far I have seen no authoritative confirmation.

And what does this mean for the future of the Avant Prime and the Avant Stellar?

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 December 2007, 00:21:18 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet
Do we know this for a fact? Is there an online reference to this development? It's been bruited in this forum, but so far I have seen no authoritative confirmation.

And what does this mean for the future of the Avant Prime and the Avant Stellar?

I'm gazing into my crystal ball and seeing... cherries.

Offline iMav

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 December 2007, 07:17:06 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
I'm gazing into my crystal ball and seeing... cherries.

bwahahahahahahaha!!

I just about spit pop out all over my keyboard.  

As far as Alps discontinuing their keyswitches...I'll see what I can find out.

Offline fkeidjn

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 December 2007, 14:27:26 »
I emailed Matias about that, and here's what they emailed me:

Thanks for your email and interest in our products. The Alps keyswitches are no longer available. We had to create our own keyswitch based on their design.

Regards,

The Matias Help Desk

Offline Nonmouse

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 01 December 2007, 15:15:57 »

As far as Alps discontinuing their keyswitches...I'll see what I can find out.

Well, on their website, they have a products page.  It lists notebook keyboards, but not desktop boards.  I also couldn't find keyswitches listed under their listing of switches....

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 December 2007, 15:34:37 »
I emailed Matias about that, and here's what they emailed me:

Thanks for your email and interest in our products. The Alps keyswitches are no longer available. We had to create our own keyswitch based on their design.

Regards,

The Matias Help Desk

Most likely "create our own" means "we got an OEM to make us a copy". I strongly suspect Strongman.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 December 2007, 22:02:08 »
Is strong man a real switch? Has anyone seen the company site?

Offline fkeidjn

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 December 2007, 02:38:41 »
Here's their website

Offline mr_sf_applet

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 02 December 2007, 06:13:43 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
I strongly suspect Strongman.

I always suspect Strong Man. Anything made in Taiwan, I strongly suspect Strong Man, probably because I don't know the names of whatever other OEM's there may be in Taiwan. They've already been fingered as the OEM for the original Matias Tactile Pro keyboard.

The Steelseries 7G? Made in Taiwan. I strongly suspect Strong Man.

The Filco Majestouch? Made in Taiwan. I strongly suspect Strong Man.

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 02 December 2007, 10:56:47 »
damn i should have taken a picture of my SMK-88 when I took it apart because the computer chip in it had a sticker on it that said STRONGMAN.  i guess strongman is taking over the world? :P

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 02 December 2007, 11:52:28 »
Quote from: karlito
i guess strongman is taking over the world? :P

Remember, no one likes the Strongman switches. It's like when K-Mart made fake Transformers action figures way back in the day - same general concept, but they just sucked in comparison.

After all that's went on in these threads as of late, I've decided to be happy with what I have for now and wait for a little calmer time to buy my next 'board. With everyone getting hosed on supposed Alps 'boards, and since there is no space saver with Cherry blues in current production that any of us can find, and with the newborn, now's a good time to stick to status quo. I have some great keyboards now, some of the best systems ever produced, and I have eBay.

Are any of you thinking about buying an Alps keyboard right now? This sucks. And right after I start thinking about buying a backup SMK 85 ...

Offline fkeidjn

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 December 2007, 21:55:33 »
Might as well go for the old great keyboards with the Alps switches, Northgate being the well known example.  If not, maybe the HHKB2 Pro would be the best way.

Offline iMav

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 03 December 2007, 06:41:39 »
Might as well go for the old great keyboards with the Alps switches, Northgate being the well known example.  If not, maybe the HHKB2 Pro would be the best way.

I don't know anyone that owns a HHKB Pro and doesn't like it.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 03 December 2007, 09:40:40 »
Hey, there's one on sale right now on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Happy-Hacking-Keyboard-Professional_W0QQitemZ180186176441

An HHKB Pro, not a Pro 2. The guy can't take a decent picture.

Offline fkeidjn

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 03 December 2007, 11:53:50 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet
Hey, there's one on sale right now on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Happy-Hacking-Keyboard-Professional_W0QQitemZ180186176441

An HHKB Pro, not a Pro 2. The guy can't take a decent picture.

Because the seller is practicing shady business   :)

Offline elmomax

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 03 December 2007, 21:07:56 »
What do you mean by "the seller is practicing shady business?"

e

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 03 December 2007, 21:21:06 »
I got my Pro 2 off eBay from a guy with zero feedback, and I don't remember the pictures being all that alluring. I won it and I received exactly what the listing stated - a one month-old HHKB Pro2 in perfect condition, and it came in the original box! You never know, and we have fraud protection on our side.

Offline fkeidjn

Matias Tactile Pro 2
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 03 December 2007, 21:28:29 »
I'm just saying though.  Got to be careful who's doing what on ebay.  You're lucky to have gotten a perfect keyboard from a guy with zero rating.  Heck, I got two perfectly new model M's from ebay  :D

Here's what Clickykeyboards has to asy on their faq:
We also hear many stories from defrauded ebay buyers, who then try to contact the seller that mistakenly listed the item. On the auction marketplace, a fly-by-night seller can list an item for 7 days, collect payment and then permanently disappear the next day when there is a problem with the merchandise sold.

I could be wrong about the ebay seller though.  Might be using a webcam to take pictures