Author Topic: Do you listen to music?  (Read 4179 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Do you listen to music?
« on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 18:18:27 »
as in "just listen" , not playing while doing something else..

the "traditional" way of hifi,  before the proliferation of television.

seems like few people actually do this nowdayzus

292467-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Do you listen to music?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 19:49:04 »
I listen to music. It has been a significant part of my life for over half a century.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 02:58:56 »
I listen for an hour a day on breaks at work while others are on their phones and on my commute both of which I can do on autopilot which is pretty close to proper listening, but I should spend more time laying on my bed in a darkened room rather than having a mouse in my hand.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 03:40:03 »
Music has been probably the biggest part of my life since I was around 15 years old.
I even played drums for a short while, I loved it.
I listen to it all day at work, I'm in the lucky position where I have a boss who doesn't give a rats ass about me walking around with IEMs in (although I only have in 1 ear).
So I'd say on any given day I listen to music for maybe 3-5 hours.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 03:42:24 »
I strictly listen to music when I am working or playing games. Probably why I far prefer instrumental or foreign language music.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 03:47:03 »
Does anyone else listen to whole albums at a time, or is that just me? :P

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 03:56:17 »

soundtracks are my jam

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 03:58:30 »

soundtracks are my jam
Right on.
I have a few soundtracks I put on that I really enjoy.
Right now for example I'm listening  to Mirage by Gaerea (not a soundtrack) and I just feel like you get to hear it the way it was intended.

Btw: NOT saying there's anything wrong with playlists, I just enjoy albums as a whole, more.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 04:19:25 »
Just listen to music, and nothing else? Almost never. Just like I never "just" watch a film. I need to do more things at the same time.

That said, I'm a complete music addict. I couldn't even imagine life without music. Keep discovering new and beautiful stuff as well.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 07:57:38 »
Every day. Mostly classical & Viennese waltz. Sometimes (western) military music/marches. After that probably traditional pop from the 50/60s (Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra etc.).
I don't listen to music outside my home & don't own ear buds or wireless headphones. I always found that this comes across as somewhat inconsiderate/rude. That & the kind of music I listen to doesn't make for good background noise, its too distracting/engaging.

Whoever thinks waltz is calm hasn't listen to one being played properly before, or listens to very boring waltzes.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 08:01:33 »
Most of the time I just have my earbuds in while I'm studying or something, but I do occasionally just sit at my desk with my headphones and listen to new albums or whatever.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 08:23:19 »
That is the best way to listen but my portable always starts at track one so I rarely get to the end of most albums.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 08:37:42 »

I never "just" watch a film. I need to do more things at the same time.

How is that even possible? In "serious" film (just like "serious" music) there are usually (or always) subtle things going on that demand attention.

Some albums are crafted to be experienced as a whole, and "back in the day" many musicians, particularly rock musicians, even set out album sides as suites, either formally or informally as a way to group similar pieces together.

I am also lucky to have a very good radio station that serves me well as background listening, often with nice surprises such as what is playing now: a Lou Harrison piece in just intonation played by Keith Jarrett.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 10:41:38 »

embarrassed to say, i've never listened to an entire album. maybe 3 out of 10 songs i like at most.

this would exclude classical cds which aren't really albums, i've listend to entire chopin cds.   but very few artists are like chopin where , the vast majority of his work is palatable, at least piano side of things.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 11:48:47 »
embarrassed to say, i've never listened to an entire album. maybe 3 out of 10 songs i like at most.
:eek:

I guess the 3 tracks you like on most albums are the singles?  These are usually the blandest tracks, blandness being a synonym for most widely appealing.

Trying to think of an album that sounds good (mix/master) that isn't an hour long or too "metal vocals", but with only Chopin as a reference I'm coming up well short.  Not least because I couldn't name a ... composition(?) by Chopin.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 13:21:02 »
The only full albums Ive listened too in one sitting are a few traditional pop, Swing & Christmas albums by Frank, Dino, Bing & Nat king Cole. Also a few Elvis albums.
I also once listend to dark side of the moon upon a friend's recommendation. I just thought it sounded like hippie music.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 15:44:32 »
Astor Piazzolla zero hour might be worth listening to. I "almost" listened to the whole thing :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 20:23:15 »

once listened to dark side of the moon upon a friend's recommendation.

I just thought it sounded like hippie music.

Same feeling with me.

292504-0

But there was a moderate amount of good hippie music back in the day.

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 October 2022, 20:27:22 by fohat.digs »
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 October 2022, 01:43:51 »
Do I?  Oh, but yes.   If it's something I need to learn or pay close attention to then it's headphones only,  but I do love listen while I do other stuffz.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 October 2022, 01:47:40 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 October 2022, 03:08:59 »
Astor Piazzolla zero hour might be worth listening to. I "almost" listened to the whole thing :D
First thing I found was a 240p youtube video and it sounded terrible - I thought there was no hope for you musically :p  A decent version however sounds lovely, though I doubt I'd sit through the whole album either.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 23 October 2022, 16:14:32 »

I never "just" watch a film. I need to do more things at the same time.

How is that even possible? In "serious" film (just like "serious" music) there are usually (or always) subtle things going on that demand attention.
I've never been diagnosed with it as I always did pretty well in school but I'm 99% sure I have ADD. I need a lot of things to busy my attention, otherwise I get bored immediately. 

I think a reasonable analogy would be that if I watched a film and did nothing else, unless it was ultra engaging, it'd feel to normal people like the film is constantly buffering. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 23 October 2022, 17:55:17 »

constantly buffering. 

Genuinely curious :

Have you ever tried meditation ?
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 October 2022, 23:32:24 »

constantly buffering. 

Genuinely curious :

No, I don't think I can think of anything that would bore me more. I think it'd feel like mental torture.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 00:36:24 »
LoL! :))
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 01:08:17 »

constantly buffering. 

Genuinely curious :

No, I don't think I can think of anything that would bore me more. I think it'd feel like mental torture.

truth. nothing makes me more unhinged than meditation.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 02:21:44 »
Same energy

Very busy with studies atm.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 08:45:33 »

nothing makes me more unhinged than meditation.

So you have allowed your brain to become its own worst enemy ?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/choosing-your-meditation-style/202010/can-meditation-help-adhd

TL;DR
Not only has meditation been shown to improve performance on cognitive tasks, but it has also been shown to change the structure and function of the brain in ways that are directly related to ADHD. While there are many different brain patterns associated with ADHD, perhaps the most common relates to having an underactive brain — a lack of activation, particularly in the frontal lobes.

more TL;DR
This, and many other studies, show clear evidence that meditation can directly influence the brain to reduce ADHD symptoms. Of course, this means we are asking someone with ADHD to do exactly the thing they struggle with: to pay attention on purpose to a boring task. Just like reps at the gym, these brain exercises strengthen the areas of the brain that the person most needs.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 October 2022, 09:49:45 by fohat.digs »
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 09:57:01 »
chyros might be saying the degree of his adhd is not a large enough impedance such that the time spent on meditation would be net positive ?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 10:11:22 »
I just need a large amount of input not to be bored. Also, I think not doing a lot is generally a waste of time. There are exceptions, like a spa day, but still.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 10:22:37 »

There are exceptions, like a spa day

"Of course, this means we are asking someone with ADHD to do exactly the thing they struggle with"

The point of the article is that just like physical exercise (ie calisthenic routines) - the most boring activity in the world - there are mental exercises.

Assuming that meditation is a waste of time is not really all that different from saying that sleeping is a waste of time.

As a scientist you know all too well that you can't dismiss a concept out of hand without examining it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 October 2022, 15:32:19 by fohat.digs »
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 12:06:38 »

"Of course, this means we are asking someone with ADHD to do exactly the thing they struggle with"

The point of the article is that just like physical exercise - the most boring activity in the world - there are mental exercises.

Assuming that meditation is a waste of time is not really all that different from saying that sleeping is a waste of time.

As a scientist you know all too well that you can't dismiss a concept out of hand without examining it.

fohat, you , chyros, tp4 , we go to peru, try iowaska, lololol.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 14:55:17 »

we go to peru

You're buying? Meditation is the cheapest and easiest thing in the world.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 16:11:47 »

we go to peru

looking into this, it says $1000 for a 7 day iowaska retreat,   but i don't understand how you can assure you don't get kidnapped.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 00:27:20 »

The point of the article is that just like physical exercise (ie calisthenic routines) - the most boring activity in the world - there are mental exercises.

I also think sleeping is a waste of time and try to minimise the idea of doing it.

Honestly my ADD doesn't bother me much. The most obvious problem is that I can't sit through a lecture or presentation. Like I said I did fine in school so it's not like it impacts my performance generally.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 07:47:35 »

I also think sleeping is a waste of time and try to minimise the idea of doing it.

Honestly my ADD doesn't bother me much. The most obvious problem is that I can't sit through a lecture or presentation. Like I said I did fine in school so it's not like it impacts my performance generally.

Oof, can we switch brains? I have diagnosed ADHD and I literally remember 2% of school lessons. Most of the time I get home and if my mom asks what I did at school it's just "Uhhhhhhhhhhh". Not just the normal teenage "Why do you care?" but I literally just don't remember. I'm on autopilot in those situations and it heavily affects my daily performance at school. However, I don't have any issues with movies or other things. I hyperfocus on many things and generally just block out the world around me when I'm doing something I enjoy.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 16:13:07 »

Oof, can we switch brains? I have diagnosed ADHD and I literally remember 2% of school lessons. Most of the time I get home and if my mom asks what I did at school it's just "Uhhhhhhhhhhh". Not just the normal teenage "Why do you care?" but I literally just don't remember. I'm on autopilot in those situations and it heavily affects my daily performance at school. However, I don't have any issues with movies or other things. I hyperfocus on many things and generally just block out the world around me when I'm doing something I enjoy.
Lectures and stuff didn't teach me anything,  I couldn't keep my attention on them. I just played cards with my friends instead. Even now it's almost impossible for me to sit through a lecture for more than 15 minutes or so without falling asleep. I learned almost everything myself, out of the books, with occasional help from other people for the really hard subjects in my degree. Just locked myself on my room x days before the exam and learned everything. I had invariably forgotten 99% of everything minutes after the exam finished. I didn't even remember what the questions were or my answers to them.

It's still okay though. I learned to learn.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 20:37:19 »

we go to peru

looking into this, it says $1000 for a 7 day iowaska retreat,   but i don't understand how you can assure you don't get kidnapped.

Will Ayahuasca be included in this said trip?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 23:15:57 »

we go to peru

Will Ayahuasca be included in this said trip?

i'd think so, it's an iowaska specific advertisement.

Offline JohnRatts

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 17:37:08 »
I liked the electronics in the spirit of "French 79", I'm looking for something similar.
I tried working at different companies with my finance degree, but I decided to play at electronic website contact form examples. In any case, I managed to go through all the hardships and make a business out of it.

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2023, 04:28:46 by JohnRatts »

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 18:59:54 »
I have an extensive vinyl record collection and frequently listen to entire albums. I have a manual turntable so it keeps me engaged with the music. I can't really work on projects with albums in the background because by the time I really get to working, it's time to flip the record. :p Even when listening to CDs, I usually play the whole album unless there are songs that I just can't stand.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 19:09:36 »

once listened to dark side of the moon upon a friend's recommendation.

I just thought it sounded like hippie music.

Same feeling with me.

(Attachment Link)

But there was a moderate amount of good hippie music back in the day.
Aw man, Pink Floyd are a band that I have to listen to in whole-album form. They only made concept albums which, sadly, is a rarity these days, and each songs bleeds into the next. Of course, you have the radio hits like Comfortably Numb and Money which can be taken in single doses, but for the most part, serious engagement is needed.

The best example I can think of regarding a "new" band who make concept albums are King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. It's basically modern stoner/jam music, but with layers of other stuff on top of it.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 02:45:14 »
I have an extensive vinyl record collection and frequently listen to entire albums. I have a manual turntable so it keeps me engaged with the music. I can't really work on projects with albums in the background because by the time I really get to working, it's time to flip the record. :p Even when listening to CDs, I usually play the whole album unless there are songs that I just can't stand.
Samesies!
I always listen to full albums every time.
It's rare that I skip tracks, unless they're straight up spoken word for like 4+ minutes. :D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 03:33:44 »
They only made concept albums which, sadly, is a rarity these days, and each songs bleeds into the next.
What is your definition of a concept album?  I thought it was one where there's a story or theme running through all the tracks and in the world of metal they are uncommon but there are too many to call them rare (again, depending on your definition of rare :confused:)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline smarmar

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 13:00:26 »

What is your definition of a concept album?  I thought it was one where there's a story or theme running through all the tracks and in the world of metal they are uncommon but there are too many to call them rare (again, depending on your definition of rare :confused:)
[/quote]
That's my definition of concept album, as well. During my music journeys I find that it's more difficult to run across concept albums nowadays. Music media has changed a lot since the '70s/'80s age of album music. Singles and curated playlists are what rule today's music-listening frontier. I don't listen to a lot of metal but I think Mastodon made a couple of concept albums.

Samesies!
I always listen to full albums every time.
It's rare that I skip tracks, unless they're straight up spoken word for like 4+ minutes. :D
UGH...nothing ruins a good listening experience like spoken word. It has to be done right, and be meaningful. Only two example of spoken word come to mind that I actually don't hate—The Last Poets and Gil Scott Heron's The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 17:01:22 »

Almost exclusively. And to answer the original question directly, I'll sit down in front of the speakers and just listen, or lie in a hammock with headphones and enjoy the music. Of course I also listen while doing other things, but it's nice to really get lost in it sometimes too.

The best example I can think of regarding a "new" band who make concept albums are King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. It's basically modern stoner/jam music, but with layers of other stuff on top of it.

Heh, KGLW pops up again. :D Another more modern band who are super into concept albums - Coheed & Cambria.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 19:15:28 »

Almost exclusively. And to answer the original question directly, I'll sit down in front of the speakers and just listen, or lie in a hammock with headphones and enjoy the music. Of course I also listen while doing other things, but it's nice to really get lost in it sometimes too.

Heh, KGLW pops up again. :D Another more modern band who are super into concept albums - Coheed & Cambria.
I thank my nephew every single day for introducing me to the sonic feast that is KGLW. :p
Can't say I'm crazy about their music but I do appreciate their tendency toward conceptual music. :cool:
The Flaming Lips are another kinda modern band that have made concept albums. :thumb: