Author Topic: Choosing custom spring weights  (Read 1996 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Choosing custom spring weights
« on: Mon, 05 December 2022, 00:07:17 »
For those that build and customize their own boards, do you use multiple spring weights on one board, or different switches?  For example, because of the noisiness of space bars in general, I will often use a Silent Box Brown-  this switch
is a little stiffer and it is also quieter.  For keys that take more of a beating such as enter and backspace, do you put in heavier springs?  I'm gonna try this on my next build.  I'm putting together another board for work and will be making a few customizations. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Choosing custom spring weights
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 December 2022, 06:29:49 »
Pinkies are weak so those keys get a lighter spring, backspace (on Caps Lock) and ISO Enter included.  Using a less wobbly switch for stabilized keys or a really stiff spring or strong tactile switch on Num Lock to prevent accidental presses or silenced switches if noise is important sounds like a good idea but I've never done it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline murasaki

• Formerly 'jota'
    • Mollecue Design
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 06:43:40 »
I'm collecting springs in different weights, but I've never installed different weights on the same board. I've never felt the need for it. (Maybe because I use relatively lighter springs and it's light enough for my pinky..?)
That does sound like a great idea though. I'll try that.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 12:54:30 »
It's going to depend on your main sprinsg and you.

On heavier springs I had a tendency to use lighter springs on mods but as I switched to ultra light springs* I found that on most tactiles I have a tendency to trigger shift and space just by allowing a finger to brush against or rest on them so was actually having to use stiffer springs on those.

*sub 40g springs, these won't even work properly on some tactiles.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 13:35:59 »
When you are using lighter-than-usual springs, you have to be careful building a board.

For example, Ergo Clears use lighter springs than the stock Cherry spring.

I was using particularly light 62 G 14mm TX springs for alphas. Turns out, the right-hand shift key sticks a bit on the upstroke, as 62 G is a little to weak for it.

Also, spacebar wouldn't function with the 62 G springs. Had to replace it with 65 G 14mm TX, and it's still marginal.

So an ideal 14mm TX spring Ergo Clear keyboard would use 62 G springs on all 1U keys, 63.5 G on modifiers, and 67 G on spacebar.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 21:58:33 »
When you are using lighter-than-usual springs, you have to be careful building a board.

I was using particularly light 62 G 14mm TX springs for alphas. Turns out, the right-hand shift key sticks a bit on the upstroke, as 62 G is a little to weak for it.

62g is too weak for a ergo clear? Have to revisit those because I never thought of them as being all that tactile.
And good point on sticking, every switch has a minimum spring it can handle.

Also note that Cherry is now making oem Ergo Clears, but not the same way as hobbyists, they use a stiffer spring.
Also, also, changing spring weights, especially lighter, can make some switches lighter and more tactile while others only become lighter. I assume going stiffer can have a similar but inverse effect, so if you're making a big spring change you might want to ask people who have done that same switch/spring combo to make sure depending on your goals and to make sure it won't stick on slow return/upstroke. Light springs can be a bit of an adventure.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 22:38:35 »
Yes, light springs are a bit of an adventure.

I'm using 14mm TX springs, which are considered "S" (Small). They are more gentle than Cherry 15mm springs.

62 G was considered an average weight for Ergo Clears back in the day, a bit on the light side, but they were using 15mm springs, a bit more powerful.

Honestly, the 62 G 14mm springs are fine for the 1U and most modifiers. However, the right-hand large Shift key does stick a little. Probably not the case with 62 G 15mm springs.

[If you were using 15mm springs, 62 G should be more than enough for all keys, except maybe the spacebar.]

With 14mm springs, you'd at least want to put a 63.5 G on the right-shift, and a 67 G on the spacebar, with all else being 62 G.

Ergo Clears aren't that tactile. The problem is 1. the bump size, which is more difficult to overcome on the upstroke compared with MX Brown.

2. Cherry switches are scratchy, the molds aren't as smooth as they should be. So there's more friction and resistance than there would be with a modern switch such as Naevy 1.5.

Granted, mine are lubed rather conservatively, the problem might be allieviated with the generous helping of lube that stock Cherry switches demand. I am looking forward to the official Ergo Clear switches. If they are built a bit better, they could be good to use with aftermarket springs.

[For further evidence of mid-range tactile sensitivity to spring weight, look into the JWK/Durock Penguin switches sold by Kinetic Labs. They are Durock Medium Tactiles sold without factory lube. They are said to NEED 63.5 G springs to operate properly, with 67 G on heavier keys. This has been my experience, as well. Penguins were modeled after Ergo Clears and Zealio V1, although their bump shape is different.]