geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

New Mac purchase.

(1/2) > >>

iMav:
As many of you know, I have been preparing for my return home to the states and contemplating my next Mac purchase.  Although I had initially decided on a 24" iMac, the screen issues as well as my desire for mobile OS X goodness has swayed me to the MacBook and MacBook Pros.

I've had some concerns regarding the MBP's, as I remember them being a bit less sturdy than the MacBooks (more flex in the chassis) and I was unsure as to the quality of their keyboards (compared to the MacBooks).  However, I ALSO have some concerns regarding the MB's as the GMA950 integrated graphics is getting pretty long in the tooth (and I doubt will be up to snuff when Starcraft 2 rolls around).  ;)

Today, I was able to get some quality time in with a current gen 17" MBP.  To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.  First off, the chassis is VERY strong and sturdy.  Although the system is ridiculously thin, it is rock solid.  Not that I would make a habit of it, but you can easily pick it up by a corner and not worry about stressing the insides.  The keyboard was also much better than expected.  I thought I remembered there being some "mushiness" with these MBP keyboards...I was mistaken.  Very solid and decent feel (for a laptop keyboard).  Feels a LOT like the keyboard on my ThinkPads (and that is saying a lot).

So, I have to say that my reservations regarding the MBP's have been proven unjustified.  I believe when I am ready to buy, I will consider the MB if it has been Santa Rosa-refreshed by then...if not, I will happily buy a MBP.

xsphat:
Cool, and after you buy it, you can ship it directly to my house!

iMav:

--- Quote from: iMav ---However, I ALSO have some concerns regarding the MB's as the GMA950 integrated graphics is getting pretty long in the tooth (and I doubt will be up to snuff when Starcraft 2 rolls around).  ;)
--- End quote ---

Well, now that the MacBooks have officially been refreshed (Santa Rosa, x3100 integrated graphics, 4GB ram addressable, AND a bit lighter), I'm on the fence again.  ;)

xsphat:
I say stick with the idea of an MBP. Santa Rosa can't magically make the GMA950 not suck.

iMav:

--- Quote from: xsphat ---I say stick with the idea of an MBP. Santa Rosa can't magically make the GMA950 not suck.
--- End quote ---

You miss the point.  The integrated graphics that come along with the SR chipset is the X3100.  A MARKED improvement over the GMA950.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version