Author Topic: [IC] GMK SERIKA  (Read 77292 times)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
[IC] GMK SERIKA
« on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:13:14 »

Want to support this project? Vote here!

Available kits

CORE

Composed by 146 keycaps, this kit is the starting point for everyone, and provides great coverage for
many boards including Nemo, Uniqey’s C70,  Leopold’s FC660 & FC980, TADA68, 96-key layouts, as
well as winkeyless boards. All of them in both ANSI and ISO layouts. The Core kit already comes
with  2.25U, and 1.75U SHIFT keys. One 7.00U and two 6.00U spacebars (one with a centered
stem and the other one with an off-centered one) have also been included. The set will come with a
custom packaging.

40s

This add-on kit covers 40% keyboard layouts and some 60% such as the GK64, Minorca, Sebright, JD40, and
Planck (both in MIT and GRID layout). 40s comes with many accent keys as well as 1.00U
and 2.00U convex keycaps.

MICONS

This add-on kit features a minimalistic set of doubleshot modifiers designed by MiTo. It provides enough keycaps
to cover 60% and 65% (including the C70) boards both in ANSI and ISO layouts.

GEOMETRIES

This kit features a set of geometric designs with impossible geometries. The set also includes
a Massdrop and Uniqey keycap.

ERGODOX

The Ergodox kit provides a set of blank keycaps that allow you to cover
and Ergodox layout. The kit includes six R2/3 2.00U keycaps.

SPACEBARS

This kit consists of a set of dark grey spacebars including 1.00U and 2.00U convex keycaps; R4 1.25U,
1.75U, 2.25U and 2.75U keycaps, 6.00U off-center and center stem, plus 6.25U and 7.00U spacebars.

Gallery

Nemo by Zambumon

Uniqey C70

Tokyo60 by TokyoCoffeeNerd

M65-A by RAMA.WORKS

TKL

Technical Specs

• Original Cherry Corp profile (1-2-3-4-4)
  • High quality doubleshot thick ABS keycaps. With 1.5mm ABS plastic and doubleshot legends that
    will never fade.
  • MX Stem compatible.
  • Made in Germany by GMK electronic design GmbH
  • Compatible with many layouts including Minorca, Sebright, Nemo, Tokyo60, Uniqey C70,
    FC660, FC980, Duck Lightsaver, HHKB, WKL, 65%, 75%, TX-CP, Thesiscamper’s Kira, Planck,
    Ergodox, and more!
  • Renders, packaging & novelties by Zambumon.

Frequent Asked Questions

Does [insert kit] include [insert keycap]?

All kits include only the keys pictured, with a visual aid for its keysize.

Does the core kit include scooped F & J keys?

Yes, it includes both scooped and barred F & J keycaps.

How do I fill my keyboard?

You’ll need a Core kit, and it is essential to cover any layouts. For most keyboards, such as Nemo,
Tokyo60, Anne Pro, Pok3r, Uniqey C70, Leopold FC660M, Duck Wiper, Tada68, Percent Canøe,
Duck Octagon, Drevo 84, Percent Skøg, Masterkeys Pro S, TX-CP, Leopold FC980M, Cherry G80-1813,
Kira, RS96, or a Duck Lightsaver, this is the only kit that you’ll need. There are a couple exceptions:

• Ergodox users will just need the Ergodox kit
  • GK64, Minorca, Sebright, and Planck users will need to add a 40s kit.
  • Split spacebar keyboards (Banana60, VE.A) should grab either the spacebar kit or the 40s kit.

Which keyboards can I cover with Micons?

You can cover the modifier keys of most 60% and 65% including Nemo, Tokyo60, Tada68, or even Uniqey C70.

Is this keyset fully compatible with the Corsair Strafe, Fnatic Gear Rush, or Razer’s keyboards?

No. These keyboards have a non-standard bottom row with 6.50U spacebar.

Is this keyset fully compatible with the Mistel Barocco 60%, Filco Minila, or Filco Minila Air?
Can you add a 3U & 4U spacebars to the spacebars kit?

No. These keyboards use 3.00U, 3.25U, or 4.00U spacebars and aren’t that common.
It would require GMK to make new molds to cover those three boards.

Do the keys support backlighting?

No. These keycaps do not support backlighting as they are made out of two different opaque plastics.
However, you can get with them an awesome underglow effect.

Credit: mindxthinker

Why no ISO kit?

The base kit comes with Hiragana and Latin legends, and unless new molds are made, it would break the set's aesthetic.

There are no plans to include a Nordic and German kit.

Which vendor do you plan to use for Serika’s Group Buy?

Massdrop. They have recently delivered well over 2000 Nautilus orders, shipping them on time, and with
marginal (to none) issues. On top of that, they are working hard to give better and more transparent
post-drop updates

How much will it cost?

Prices should be similar to previous GMK sets such as Nautilus, Yuri, or Laser.

When will I be able to get this set?

It depends on you.

I’m concerned about the final colors, how will you ensure that they’ll be the close to the renders?

GMK and I are taking extra steps to make sure that everything goes right, as we know that yellow is a
tricky color and getting the perfect colors will be super important for this set. This is why GMK and I have
been using a Pantone and RAL color chart to define which custom colors are going to be used. Samples are on my
way and we’ll do as many takes as needed to get the perfect colors.

Why is the 40s kit an add-on and not a part of the core?

A separate add-on kit allows me to get a better layout coverage and accent keys while keeping the core
kit’s price down.

$[insert price] for ABS? No way I’m paying for that.

There are many high-quality product made in ABS that people love such as LEGO, or GMK keycaps. GMK
makes thick, doubleshot keycaps (their legends are sharp and will never fade). If you haven’t tried these
keycaps before: they get through an excellent quality control, their legends are consistent, they are perfect
for long typing sessions, and they sound fantastic.

Can you add the GMK Nautilus style ergodox keys with the doubleshot legends?

Despite of Nautilus’ hype and how great was having doubleshot legends on an ergodox, some people were
discouraged by the first tier price point and decided not to get one.

For Serika, I’d prefer to keep it as it is for now.

Are there any story behind the keycap color way and the novelties?

In August 2016, just after The Amazing Chocolatier’s drop ended, I started working on two new sets. One of
those was Nautilus, which was finished first, and the other one was an unnamed set that later became Serika.

While working on Nautilus, I had something very clear: I wanted to work on a less flashy and more subtle
color way but without falling into the “boring” tag. I also wanted to make a set were yellow was the main
actor and not just an accent (like in Chocolatier or Nautilus). For the alphas, I had obviously go for
something lighter, so I opted for a white (with a tint of beige). And that’s how the colorway was decided.

Fast forward to Novemeber 2017, just before Nautilus started shipping, I started working again on the set.
There were two unfinished issues: its name and the novelties. The name issue was solved quite fast.
Like many others on this community I’m also interested in space exploration (Godspeed, and Yuri), so I
paid an homage to the Space Brother’s manga and named the set after fictional astronaut Itou Serika.
As for the novelties, unlike previous sets, I wanted to keep them simple and more abstract, so I went for
something that I was already interested in: impossible geometric figures, such as the Penrose triangle.

Could you split the keycaps in more kits?

No, GMK has a 150 minimum order quantity for any purchase order (250 if you use custom colors), and
their prices scale down quite well the more sets are sold. This is the reason why all GMK sets have a big
base kit that covers most layouts, as it makes things easier for everyone and minimizes the risk of not
having your keyboard layout covered.

Who did the renders?

Me.

Show your support for this project

Add this banner to your profile!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94311.0][img width=480 height=120]https://zambumon.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/banner.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 May 2018, 13:42:30 by Zambumon »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] GMK SERIKA
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:16:16 »
Those are some nice kits... Time to wait for the pictures of the yellow.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:18:14 by xondat »

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:23:04 »
needs yellow space bar

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:24:11 »
I thought this was just extended GMK Heavy Industry (From RAMA), but the mod colors are reversed!

I like yellow a lot, but I have SO MANY keysets...

Maybe.

I'm definitely going to buy like 3 of the novelty kits. I'm getting a penrose triangle tattoo soon.

Offline Chimera

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:31:14 »
Really like this set in the 96 layout

Offline noSatellite

• perpetual n00b
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:32:50 »
This. Is. Awesome. Love it - it's an autobuy for me! :thumb:
What I lack in time, resources, and knowledge I make up for in passion, enthusiasm and ignorance.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:32:54 »
This base set isn’t really my thing but I’ll jump in for a geometries kit.

Offline Myoth

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:38:15 »
pleeeaaaase Icon Mods, I can't stand the 1.25u shift with this legend, it just looks so bad

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:41:49 »
needs yellow space bar

The accent color for this keyset is dark grey,and since I don't want to add more keycpas spacebars kit, that would require a second spacebar kit.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:45:59 »
pleeeaaaase Icon Mods, I can't stand the 1.25u shift with this legend, it just looks so bad

The only way I'd offer any icon mods would be on an add-on kit for blocknet.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:53:12 »
I dig it greatly :)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:54:31 »
Are the alphas custom colour? I'm wondering if I could use the DC kit with any other sets...

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:57:24 »
Are the alphas custom colour? I'm wondering if I could use the DC kit with any other sets...

Both alphas and modifiers are custom colors and I'm currently waiting for them to arrive.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:52:27 »
You already know but fantastic job as always.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:24:48 »
really like the mods, but i think the alphas are a little boring

but yellow is my favorite color, so i endorse this set
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zappysnap

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 20:38:05 »
This is absolutely gorgeous.  I don't need another keyset, and yet I'm almost certain I'd be in on this.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 20:39:43 by zappysnap »
YMDK96/XD96, Holy Panda, Infinikey Hive
DZ60RGB, 67g Zealio v2, SA Oblivion
Varmilo VA68M, Box Navy, SA Ashen
MA60 v2, Wood case, Novelkeys Cream, XDA Canvas
DZ60, 78g Zealios, Lambo case, DSA Geode (custom sublimated)
Leopold FC980M, MX Clear, EnjoyPBT 9009

Offline Geek Maker

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 21:34:35 »
Personally, I perfer to Icon Kit.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 21:41:08 »
Great colors, very classy take on yellow.  I like the alphas and the dark gray.

How about... Pad printed secondary legends in this custom yellow color for some caps? 
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 21:42:51 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 22:17:59 »

How about... Pad printed secondary legends in this custom yellow color for some caps?

i actually like this idea a lot

pad print or side print
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 22:32:55 »

Feel like this is more a "hey this is happening" than a feedback thing, but interesting concept. Any examples of what you were thinking? :D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 22:39:11 »
Maybe european or Cyrillic symbol/letter top print, though that could be over the top. 

Offline bminhz

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 22:47:44 »
This set reminds me of gmk Honeywell...red instead of black and dark grey instead of dark yellow

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 07:15:45 »
Do people really need that many options for navigation keys? I think offering one layout for 75/65% coverage on home end and page keys is enough. That's 3 keys you could eliminate or repurpose. With prices rising and exchange rate failing every bit helps
keyboards.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 07:28:39 »
You already know but fantastic job as always.

:thumb:I'm just trying to do better than last time.

really like the mods, but i think the alphas are a little boring

That's completely fair. This set is on the opposite side of Chocolatier or Nautilus, which are very fancy and they could even be considered as flashy sets, so for many it will be under the boring side, which many people like too! Maybe we could spice those alphas adding some extra kit  ;)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:26:18 »

I'd prefer to avoid pad printing at all costs and just have everything doubleshot.

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:38:30 »
Seems like you're not taking any suggestions so why not just announce the group buy  and skip the IC?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:46:05 »
Seems like you're not taking any suggestions so why not just announce the group buy  and skip the IC?

Just because he hasn't taken any suggestions thus far doesn't mean he's not taking suggestions.  If someone comes up with one that's valid for his design, I'm sure that he'll take it.  Many are just used to designers catering to the community rather than bringing a strong design to the community.  And this one is pretty strong as is- the benefit of experience.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:51:12 »

And lose all of the free hype and awareness that can be raised from having a proper IC despite the design being (more or less) final? Haha good one.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:52:13 »
...or he's already made up his mind and just waiting for Massdrop to give him the ok.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:57:55 »

How to fail a GB in one single step, a guide by cdn-mini.   

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:06:14 »
Meh, doubt Massdrop will show intrested, GMK is for broke ass losers.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:06:57 »
Lol. The suggestions so far were: yellow spacebars, icon mods, pad printing, and my comment on all the nav keys.

Pad printing is a horrible idea and should be dismissed. Icon mods are not that popular and shouldn't be automatically incorporated because one person asked for it.. that's a huge change to the overall set. Spacebars are rarely offered in modifier color because it looks funny. They're usually alpha color, and accent color for good reason.
keyboards.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:10:20 »

Just because I did a lot of work before posting anything and have a clear idea of what I'd want to do doesn't mean that I'm not caring about the feedback.

For instance, before starting the thread on Geekhack, I did adjustments on two kits (40s and Ergodox) based on some reasonable suggestions.

Also, you should read between lines to this posts I've made:

I'd prefer to avoid pad printing at all costs and just have everything doubleshot.

Means: instead of using pad printing legends for a let's say Heisei kit, I'd prefer to do doubleshot keycaps.

The only way I'd offer any icon mods would be on an add-on kit for blocknet.

Means: While preparing the IC, I considered adding Blocknet to the set, but I need to see if there's enough interest on this set to justify its addition.

I wrote that because I want to make sure that nothing here is rushed and everything can be made.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:10:43 »

> The higher quality keycaps of the most liked profile (showed by multiple questionnaires) 
> Probably the most liked manifacturer
> GMK is for broke ass losers

You never disappoint, stay a wonderful clown, buddy

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:12:11 »
Following! love the colors and the simplicity.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:23:22 »

If I hadn't had unfortunate encounters with you in the past I'd say that's a blatant troll. The fact I'm inclined to think it isn't is extremely concerning. We already have Giorgio, we don't need you too. Please relax.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:59:12 »
I'd say that's a blatant troll.

That turned out to be an apt description.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 13:13:46 »
Well, if blocknet is still a consideration, I would like to show my support for it

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline odd

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 15:13:09 »
Please add R1 backspace key. Its seems every set skips that key except the sets jchan offer on his site.

Also your 40's kit add on should be a option for every future GMK set,its perfect and 40 percent keyboards are not as rare as they used to be.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 19:59:33 »
I love this, and would be thrilled if those geometric novelties made it in. Not enough yellow love. =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 02:34:20 »
Count me doubly in!!

Offline Muffin_Smasher

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 03:11:35 »
I love this set.  Already voted on the poll, waiting for the chance to buy it! :)

If blocknet were offered i would grab one, i like this set either way though.

Edit: Just wanted to add i think the Nemo looks great!

Offline YisSerL

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 08:56:48 »
I am interested in this keyset.  The yellow is very unique.   :thumb:

Offline hervuli

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 09:12:00 »
Love the novelties and would really like to see more abstract/geometric novelties in the future!
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline gutsack

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 14:38:20 »
Yellow isn't really my thing but as usual this is excellent work. Good luck!

Offline Fooblitzky

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 18:07:07 »
Your presentation is top notch and renderings are sublime. Love the novelties in this set.

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I hope this set happens. It might mix and match well with grey alphas too?

But I always throw away my GMK boxes to save space...now I can't? Hmm. :mad:

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 20:05:23 »
I love this, and would be thrilled if those geometric novelties made it in. Not enough yellow love. =)

I'm glad that there's enough interest for the novelties. I'd like to keep the kit as small as possible and avoid making lots of new legends, but I'll consider adding more to the kit.

Please add R1 backspace key. Its seems every set skips that key except the sets jchan offer on his site.

Most people that split the backspace go with the R2 1.5U backspace. I don't think a lot of people would use them.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 20:21:39 »

Most people that split the backspace go with the R2 1.5U backspace. I don't think a lot of people would use them.
What about ISO and JIS users? It's also a useful key for people with separate numpads.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 20:48:26 »
I really like this set and the packaging is absolutely stunning.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 08:47:27 »
What about ISO and JIS users?

All of the ISO layouts use a 2.00U spacebar.  As for JIS, we would still need some extra caps (on the bottom row and one on the 4th row) to properly cover that layout.

It's also a useful key for people with separate numpads.

That wouldn't help to properly cover standalone numpads. You'd need  to add to that a R1 1.00U Tab, R1 1.00U =, an extra R1 1.00U ESC (Both in yellow and grey, to keep consistency) as well as a R4 1.00U. 00.

Tha being said, if I get the greenlight to add "Blocknet" AKA Micons there would be some room for that key on the kit.