Author Topic: MX Blue-like silent switch recommendation  (Read 1829 times)

Offline zanmat0

MX Blue-like silent switch recommendation
« on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 10:11:58 »
Looking to build a new keeb for work, TKL or 65%. Really love the feels of MX Blues but can't bring those into an office environment :/

I've seen various suggestions, so far I'm looking at Box Royals or Zealios V2 (not sure which variant).

Someone suggested Halo Pandas but those seem like very heavy switches with the bottom out at 100g.

What is a MX Blue-like tactile but silent switch with some nice feedback but light enough to be coding all day with?

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: MX Blue-like silent switch recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 10:12:44 »
Is this a case maybe for "Jailhouse Blues?"

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 10:18:02 »
What is available to you are the silent tactiles. And they are based on the so-called "tactile" switches (Browns and Clears) instead of 'clicky' switches like Blues.

The two main silent tactiles are Aliaz and Zilents. Aliaz are just quieted Gateron Browns. Zilents (V2) used to be based on MX Ergo Clears (in V1), but are now highly-tactile switches where the tactile bump is at the top, like Box Royals.

So it depends on what kind of tactility you prefer. Browns (= Aliaz), or Box Royal / Holy Panda (= Zilent). Because Zilents are compared frequently with Holy Pandas. You'd have to try some out on a tester or something.

Personally, I think a number of MX clicky switches have nice tactility, as you noticed with the Blues. So maybe the 'Jailhouse Blue' mod is best for you. You can largely stop it from clicking, I think, while still retaining the tactile feel.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 12:27:33 »
if you wanna dodge the zeal tax you could get Tacits, but they are probably a bit heavy for your taste. As mentioned, Jailhouse blues might be an option to look at

Offline zanmat0

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 19:05:05 »
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

I ordered a tester for Zilents, lets see what I think. Not sure if I'm ready to dive into modding, I'm still a bit of a newb.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 04:03:32 »
Zlients feel great, you will probably enjoy them, but at €1.2/switch they are also very expensive

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 05:07:42 »
Outemu also has a silent tactile switch that has been said to be comparable to Zilent in tactility and silence... but more scratchy. I've still not tried it. It is quite unusual still: I've only seen it on Aliexpress and in group buys on Reddit's mechmarket.
... or ...
you could combine a cheaper tactile switch with QMK clips. But those fit only Cherry profile keycaps and switches with the LED window south.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 February 2020, 05:10:00 by Findecanor »