Author Topic: The switches! They do nothing!  (Read 3956 times)

Offline 2097

The switches! They do nothing!
« on: Fri, 20 June 2008, 02:42:54 »
The dipswitches on my hhkb pro 2, that is. Even out in the linux console, leaving X, showkeys show the same key codes regardles of dipswitch setting. I don't know how I happened to break this thing; unplugging and reinserting it doesn't help. It's a brand new one, too! Argh.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 June 2008, 02:54:50 »
This seems to be going around this forum like a cold. First (though I never talked about it here) I bricked my MK96 attempting a mod and I got pissed off and broke the thing. It  was already having the king F'ed up days when it happened. I liked that thing too. I have another Macally on the way, but it's a different model.

Then Pook F's up his keyboard, and now this.

I hope things only go in threes ...

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 June 2008, 03:22:54 »
Quote from: xsphat
First (though I never talked about it here) I bricked my MK96 attempting a mod and I got pissed off and broke the thing.

Perhaps we need to look into some anger management sessions for you?  ;)

What sort of mod were you attempting?

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 June 2008, 07:28:33 »
Quote from: 2097;5779
The dipswitches on my hhkb pro 2, that is. Even out in the linux console, leaving X, showkeys show the same key codes regardles of dipswitch setting. I don't know how I happened to break this thing; unplugging and reinserting it doesn't help. It's a brand new one, too! Argh.

Same here on day 1. Then, the next day it worked. I still don't know why.

Maybe XP had to be booted even if it didn't say so, don't remember if I did that.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 June 2008, 09:03:59 »
And the right button on my EnduraPro was feeling really weird, too, although it was covered under warranty - so I've been hit, too.

And that's not counting the M13, although the M13 was in bad shape right out of the box.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 June 2008, 09:09:30 »
Ahem

Seems the starts are maligned for buying or modding keyboards these days :)
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline 2097

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 June 2008, 03:04:43 »
First I tried disconnecting the keyboard. Replugging it back in did not reflect the dipswitch changes.

Then I tried disconnecting the keyboard and all plugged in stuff in the usb hub. Same as above, didn't work.

Then I tried disconnecting everything but waiting a few seconds. That seemed to do the trick. So now it works.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 June 2008, 03:13:35 »
I wish all our keyboard problems were that easily solved.

Offline 2097

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 June 2008, 03:17:41 »
I spoke too soon. It's still messed up. I'll experiment some more and then get back.

Offline bicycle_wreck

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 01:12:24 »
Sorry to bump this thread, but this just happened to me.  I rebooted my PC, and all of a sudden my right Alt button became my Windows key and my <> keys became Alt.  However, I have all of the dip switches set to 'on' and I changed nothing--this simply happened out of the blue.  

All of the other keys seem to be fine, but none of the dipswitch settings work, and I can't get Alt to actually behave as Alt.  WTF?
Das Keyboard Professional / HHKB Pro 2 / Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (Cherry Blues)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 05:45:10 »
All of them on? I think some of the options are mutually exclusive, so I'd try not having them all on =P

Offline bicycle_wreck

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 08:55:07 »
Quote from: ch_123;200943
All of them on? I think some of the options are mutually exclusive, so I'd try not having them all on =P

Trust me, none of them work.  I tried every combination on the back and nothing changed.  Also, to clarify, they worked yesterday.
Das Keyboard Professional / HHKB Pro 2 / Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (Cherry Blues)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 08:58:36 »
The only oddity I've noticed with mine is that when I bring my computer out of standby my HHKB won't work until I press a key and wait a couple of seconds for it to wake up and be recognised. Might be because I have Wake Up Enable set on? (I usually use a mouse key to wake the PC up.)

And yes, having all the switches on would cause the Alt/Meta keys to be swapped. Maybe you're looking at them upside down or something and getting confused.

Offline bicycle_wreck

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:04:47 »
Switch 5 is in the down position (keyboard facing up), which I assumed was off?  Toggling it on or off makes no difference, however.  Sad panda.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:05:25 »
You know, if you just got a cheap keyboard you wouldn't have to worry about that.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:06:52 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;200968
You know, if you just got a cheap keyboard you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Do you work for an Indian telephone support company by any chance?

Offline bicycle_wreck

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:08:08 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;200968

I appreciate your candor, but it's a little late for that.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:19:28 »
Does it work with other computers?

Offline bicycle_wreck

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:24:43 »
Nope.  I swapped out the USB cable, too--no change.

Offline bicycle_wreck

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 09:30:02 »
Alright, I just plugged it in after having it sit for an hour or so and it works.  Switch 5 is 'off' and Alt is Alt, just as it should be.  WTF?

Happy Panda.

I'll report back if it ****s up again.