Author Topic: Your Single, Most Valued, Keyboard Hack  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Questengine

• Heroglyphix Nonogram Logic Puzzles
Your Single, Most Valued, Keyboard Hack
« on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 10:47:43 »
When I got an Ergodox and got into TMK a few months ago I pretty quickly make custom keys for Copy and Paste. One key each, unmodified.  How big a deal can that be really?  It's Awesome!!  I miss this functionality on any keyboard that isn't my main, and I wonder why it's not a feature on more keyboards.  Maybe it's because I'm a programmer but I use copy and paste dozens of times every day.  How often do folks use the dedicated "email", "web" or even "media" keys?.  If you mess with the media keys that much then they're probably distracting you from your work.  Copy and Paste ARE your work!

So what's the one shortcut, hack or customization to your favorite keyboard that you wouldn't want to live without?

Offline Phenix

Re: Your Single, Most Valued, Keyboard Hack
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 11:23:46 »
definitly my AHK scripts, which do freaking much for me (e.g. multi-layered media keys)

and capslock=backspace <3
Winter is coming.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 11:31:32 »
Having a rubber mat underneath the keyboard.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 11:32:37 »
Or a cloth Mousepad.

Offline Questengine

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 12:05:26 »
definitly my AHK scripts, which do freaking much for me (e.g. multi-layered media keys)

and capslock=backspace <3

I use a lot of AHK as well. I wonder why that's not more of a topic here?  I'm pretty happy with the natural backspace so I us AHK's ampersand  with the CapsLock to make it like another modifier and give me a whole other layer on my MS Natural 4K at work.  Don't even have a capslock on my TMK Ergo.. not on the primary layer anyway.

Offline 9fiftyfive_

• My website
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 12:49:11 »
I have a few.

My "Most Valued" hack would be flipping the spacebar. This applies to any keyboard. I don't think I could ever use a keyboard with a regular spacebar again.

Another "hack" I do with all of my keyboards is to put them on the same mousepad as my mouse. I use 60% boards, so they fit. I like to put them on top of a mousepad because it dampens the keyboard a little. With the mousepad underneath, I don't find a need for a wrist rest because the rather soft mousepad is comfy for wresting my wrists on.

The last "most valued" hack (as of late) was to silence my HHKB. I cut up a plastic binder divider, and I can't even begin to describe how much nicer the board sounds.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 13:30:22 »
yea, dampening topre is nice.

Also: Make an F-SSK out of yout SSK, way better feeling, and louder
Winter is coming.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 14:34:10 »

+1 and never going back!
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Questengine

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 14:46:56 »

+1 and never going back!

Are we talking about preventing the keyboard from sliding around on the desk?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 14:54:19 »

+1 and never going back!

Are we talking about preventing the keyboard from sliding around on the desk?

Also a lot of noise dampening. Without the mat the vibrations from typing would be transmitted almost directly to the table creating a lot of noise.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:38:57 »
My most valued hack is ANSI-modding ancient IBM Model Fs.

But Yea, Baby!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.new#new
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Phenix

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:57:08 »
Never Ever ANSI mod an IBM F.
ISO is superior
(basically: no, but Im used to, so for me yea)
Winter is coming.

Offline ace_of_dunces

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:58:31 »
Pretty basic, but I swapped caps and left-ctrl. Got rid of the tendinitis in my left wrist and made ctrl-everything so much faster!

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 17:07:47 »
Tap-dance keys. Not the most useful thing I have on my keyboard right now, but definitely the one I'm most proud of.

A close second is one-shot modifiers on the thumbs. Old idea, but mighty useful.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 21:52:00 »
I think mine is space fn. My daily driver is a 60% running TMK. With space fn, I can easily access function layer with either hand and the other hand's thumb pressing spacebar. On an ANSI board, there just doesn't exist another key that is as easy for either thumb as spacebar.

Another one I find really useful is having a dual role ctrl/esc at where caps lock usually is. I use Vim so esc is quite important to me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 December 2016, 21:54:45 by ctm »
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 01:05:59 »
Left Ctrl -> Capslock is a Godsend. i even changed this layout using sharpkeys in my work laptop.

TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline drevyek

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 04:06:44 »
Another one I find really useful is having a dual role ctrl/esc at where caps lock usually is. I use Vim so esc is quite important to me.
Might need to try this out. Momentary vs hold, right?

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 08:15:56 »
Might need to try this out. Momentary vs hold, right?
I use ACTION_LAYER_TAP_KEY for space fn and ACTION_MODS_TAP_KEY for ctrl/esc.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline odd

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 21:07:23 »
Can you post the code of the one key copy/paste? I been searching forever for something like that.

My favorite hack and this only applies to my 40% boards and macropads with more than 8 buttons is to bind / to a Fn layer and have it print the keymap of all Fn layers.

Example when I press Fn + / I get this (JD45)

Fn:
~Esc 1!  2@  3#  4$  5%  6^  7&  8*  9(  0)  -_  =+
 FN2  A   S   D   F  Ins HomePgUpPtSc L   ;:   Del 
 Shift BLenBLmdBLdm V  Del End PgDn ,<  .>  /? Shift
Ctrl  FN  GUI Space Space  Space Space \|  Alt  FN 

Fn2:
BOOTPgUp Up PgDn R   T   Y   U  MuteVol-Vol+PlayConf
 FN2  Lf  Dn  Rt  F   G   H   J  KbLk L   '"  Enter
 Shift  Z   X  Caps V   B  NmLk M[ ] M1 Shift

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 00:54:22 »
remapping Caps Lock to Control

don't need anything else.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 04:53:50 »
Can you post the code of the one key copy/paste? I been searching forever for something like that.

My favorite hack and this only applies to my 40% boards and macropads with more than 8 buttons is to bind / to a Fn layer and have it print the keymap of all Fn layers.

Example when I press Fn + / I get this (JD45)

Fn:
~Esc 1!  2@  3#  4$  5%  6^  7&  8*  9(  0)  -_  =+
 FN2  A   S   D   F  Ins HomePgUpPtSc L   ;:   Del 
 Shift BLenBLmdBLdm V  Del End PgDn ,<  .>  /? Shift

Fn2:
BOOTPgUp Up PgDn R   T   Y   U  MuteVol-Vol+PlayConf
 FN2  Lf  Dn  Rt  F   G   H   J  KbLk L   '"  Enter
 Shift  Z   X  Caps V   B  NmLk M[ ] M1 Shift
How works that??
Winter is coming.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 06:16:59 »
Remapping Caps Lock to Ctrl on hold and ESC on press. Mind: blown.

Physically, lubing springs.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:27:16 »
Fliping my spacebar is a hack right?  :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:30:07 »
Fliping my spacebar is a hack right?  :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Only on SA and DSA  :D

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:55:55 »
My "Most Valued" hack would be flipping the spacebar. This applies to any keyboard. I don't think I could ever use a keyboard with a regular spacebar again.

With the mousepad underneath, I don't find a need for a wrist rest because the rather soft mousepad is comfy for wresting my wrists on.
In other words: "my typing posture is crap"

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:58:13 »

With the mousepad underneath, I don't find a need for a wrist rest because the rather soft mousepad is comfy for wresting my wrists on.

He didnt say when he was wresting his wrists though

Offline menuhin

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:12:49 »
This is a useful thread.
I've been doing many of the mentioned 'hack', e.g. mapping Ctrl to Caps Lock, using AHK scripts, dampening key press noise by placing a rubber mat underneath the keyboard, flipping the spacebar.
Been trying hard to think of another one.

Why? Does it mean that typing with a raised wrist posture is a better practice? I might be, but I don't actually know. I suppose those find flipped spacebar comfortable is resting their wrists on the wrist rest.

How can it be configured like that? By AHK? I'm using a registry scan code mod for the Caps Lock to Left_Ctrl.

Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:16:34 »
I suppose those find flipped spacebar comfortable is resting their wrists on the wrist rest.

Not necessarily.

I flip my spacebar and have decent posture. I just turn my thumb in a way that it is more comfortable to have the spacebar turned towards me.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 09:12:32 »

Why? Does it mean that typing with a raised wrist posture is a better practice?
It is indeed.

resting and/or flexed wrist ~ increased pressure + anchored hands lead to additional deviation, when reaching for distant keys

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 09:31:33 »
My best 'hack' is a Linux Mint 18 installation with a few edits to dconf, and a few edits to Cinnamon's keyboard shortcuts. Technically not a keyboard hack but it definitely broadens the range of what I can do with any keyboard without having to run batch files at startup and things of that nature. :confused:
Chris Schammert

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 05:59:12 »
This is a useful thread.
I've been doing many of the mentioned 'hack', e.g. mapping Ctrl to Caps Lock, using AHK scripts, dampening key press noise by placing a rubber mat underneath the keyboard, flipping the spacebar.

Why? Does it mean that typing with a raised wrist posture is a better practice? I might be, but I don't actually know. I suppose those find flipped spacebar comfortable is resting their wrists on the wrist rest.

How can it be configured like that? By AHK? I'm using a registry scan code mod for the Caps Lock to Left_Ctrl.

I do it via Karabiner, so yeah. I'd like to hack up some firmware to do it but eh.

Re: posture -- typing with your wrists straight and not resting then while typing is proper ergonomic form. Bending them will put stress on something depending on how you bend them. I'm in the same boat that people with flipped spacebars generally have poor ergo because if you type properly your thumb hits the spacebar from above, not from the side.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline menuhin

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 06:51:19 »

Why? Does it mean that typing with a raised wrist posture is a better practice?
[/spoiler]
It is indeed.

resting and/or flexed wrist ~ increased pressure + anchored hands lead to additional deviation, when reaching for distant keys

More
This is a useful thread.

I do it via Karabiner, so yeah. I'd like to hack up some firmware to do it but eh.

Re: posture -- typing with your wrists straight and not resting then while typing is proper ergonomic form. Bending them will put stress on something depending on how you bend them. I'm in the same boat that people with flipped spacebars generally have poor ergo because if you type properly your thumb hits the spacebar from above, not from the side.

Does it mean that wrist-rest is redundant for users with ergo posture?

I agree that when I'm typing in full speed I tend to raise my wrists not resting on anything. However, I still need my 'ergobeads' wrist rest when I'm doing very slow and lazy typing or when I'm not typing at all resting my typing hands on the wrist rest thinking about what to type. The flipped spacebar is angled quite well for wrist-resting position but definitely not so optimal for raised wrist position.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 06:54:25 »

Does it mean that wrist-rest is redundant for users with ergo posture?

Nope, it's for resting your wrists on in between typing.

Offline Questengine

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 07:31:53 »

The way I did it is to assign my extra keys to F13-F24 all of which are assignable in TMK and autohotkey can read.  Then I use an AHK script to interpret one of those as copy and another as paste.  For example, I think the AHK would be:

F13::^c 
or maybe
F13::Send ^c

I'm not near that PC at the moment.  So I'm not 100% certain about the code.

You COULD do the copy directly in TMK, but by using the extra F keys and AHK I can reassign the function keys for each app (with more autohotkey!).

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 07:49:21 »
This is a no-no for some people but the hack I'm proud is using dental bands for HHKB silencing. It does make a difference and bit shorter key travel is not a problem for me.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 12:26:25 »
Put Hypersphere ring to Novatouch and lube it. This makes this keyboard form my least like all the way to my top 3.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....