Author Topic: Happy Hacking Lite2: "L" button hard to activate  (Read 1262 times)

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Happy Hacking Lite2: "L" button hard to activate
« on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 17:47:57 »
Hey all - been lurking here for years and finally signed up to ask my question...

So I got a Happy hacking Lite2 on eBay about a month ago. All good and well except the "L" button doesn't like to be pressed lightly. Every key on this keyboard except the L button will activate even if pressed incredibly gently. The L button only activates if you press it with as much force as you might use while typing normally - so it isn't a huge problem but gets annoying when I am not typing as fast as usual, with one hand, etc...

Since these are Topre switches I wouldn't know where to begin on trying to make this one key more responsive.

The seller offered 30 day returns but I've accidentally gotten some paint on the keyboard so I didn't feel I could still return it.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline hking0036

Re: Happy Hacking Lite2: "L" button hard to activate
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 17:52:26 »
Lite2 is NOT topre (hence the "lite"), all lite models are standard domes. You should try and return it, since unlike a true mechanical it's not as easy to replace an individual switch. Something is either wrong with the membrane or the dome, but the domes come in sheets so a single replacement will be sort of difficult. You can try and clean the conductive bit on the bottom of the dome and see if that helps, but it sounds like it's not making contact unless you push really hard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2016, 17:56:48 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 17:57:06 »
Lite2 is NOT topre, all lite models are standard domes. You should try and return it, since unlike a true mechanical it's not as easy to replace an individual switch. Something is either wrong with the membrane or the dome, but the domes come in sheets so a single replacement will be sort of difficult. You can try and clean the conductive bit on the bottom of the dome and see if that helps, but it sounds like it's not making contact unless you push really hard.

If the lite2 is not a topre i wonder if i could return it on the grounds it was mis-advertised. A shame because it's a nice board :( Thank you for your help though !!!!
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2016, 18:01:05 by happylacquer »

Offline hking0036

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 18:00:10 »
That all depends on the advertisement on the ebay page. If they said Topre on the page you could (presumably) easily get your money back from paypal, but if it's defective I'd try and return it either way. You're looking for a pro 2, though. Those are ~$200 typically (EliteKeyboards sells them for $225 new).
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 18:02:35 »
That all depends on the advertisement on the ebay page. If they said Topre on the page you could (presumably) easily get your money back from paypal, but if it's defective I'd try and return it either way. You're looking for a pro 2, though. Those are ~$200 typically (EliteKeyboards sells them for $225 new).

Yeah it was on the eBay description. The guy was selling a pro 2 as well. Either way I've contacted him for a refund, and will probably upgrade to a pro 2!

Offline hking0036

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 18:03:43 »

Yeah it was on the eBay description. The guy was selling a pro 2 as well. Either way I've contacted him for a refund, and will probably upgrade to a pro 2!
Good luck with that! Hope you enjoy it, when you get them.  :p