Author Topic: Build Assistance RED Scarf PCB mount  (Read 1214 times)

Offline ManicMatt1125

Build Assistance RED Scarf PCB mount
« on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 13:15:47 »
Hello,
       I am building my first keyboard, a RED scarf II+ and have a few questions.

1. Stabs are PCB mount. Does this mean I need to install them FIRST? and lay the plat on top? If so I have done this, and the plate does not seem to lay flush, there is a small gap between the plate and the PCB. Is this OK?

2. Assuming that is ok, do I just put my switched on and solder them?

Offline Kominyetska

Re: Build Assistance RED Scarf PCB mount
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 13:18:40 »
The Stabs go into the PCB first, then, you will align the plate by putting 1 switch through and into the PCB. Keep adding switched until you have all of them in. You can then solder 'em. There is a small gap between the plate and the pcb.

Note: make sure your stabs are working as intended BEFORE you put the plate and solder everything or you'll have to desolder a ton of switches to fix 'em.

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 13:33:46 »
The Stabs go into the PCB first, then, you will align the plate by putting 1 switch through and into the PCB. Keep adding switched until you have all of them in. You can then solder 'em. There is a small gap between the plate and the pcb.

Note: make sure your stabs are working as intended BEFORE you put the plate and solder everything or you'll have to desolder a ton of switches to fix 'em.

Thanks, makes sense. When you state that the stabs should be working, I can test that by placing a cap them and the switch right?

I just tried that and the switch feels stuck, almost like the stabs need lube? Does this sound right? Or did I already mess something up.....

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 13:46:04 »
Nevermind, The stab insert was in the wrong way. I assumed that I would want the tighter fit, apparently not.

Offline Kominyetska

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 21:02:55 »
I put together a board and the spacebar stab wire wasn't seated correctly and it made the spacebar *suck*. Catching it before soldering everything is the best course of action.

Good luck with the build!