Author Topic: Different DSA keycap finishes  (Read 36287 times)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Different DSA keycap finishes
« on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 14:16:26 »
Hello,

I have been corresponding with Melissa about ordering samples of different colours (new and stock). Receiving the samples has raised questions which I will spare Melissa, since they could be useful to other members.

What are the different finishes available for DSA keycaps in ABS plastic? The caps I received seem to be of different finishes.

They are, respectively, NN, GB, Slate Blue (new colour), Green/Blue (new colour), GSC, WFK:

NN (and GB) seem to be more glossy

The rest seem semi-gloss

From the photos above and especially in real life, NN (the first keycap) is particularity glossy, top and sides, compared to the other materials. Is this a property of the colour itself or are they actually of different finishes?

Thanks in advance for clearing things up!

Offline zslane

Re: Different DSA keycap finishes
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 15:46:29 »
SP has three finishes: matte, semi-matte, and gloss. I don't think I've ever seen gloss keycaps from them. All the keycaps that people think are "glossy" are actually in their semi-matte finish (I think it should be called "semi-gloss" or "smooth", but whatever). However, their matte finish is only textured on the top; it is semi-matte (i.e., smooth) on the sides.

If you are seeing a difference in the matte texture, it is probably a by-product of slight differences between stocks of ABS plastic they've received over the years from their suppliers. Also note that the matte finish for PBT keycaps is quite a bit smoother than for ABS keycaps.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 17:32:23 »
SP has three finishes: matte, semi-matte, and gloss. I don't think I've ever seen gloss keycaps from them. All the keycaps that people think are "glossy" are actually in their semi-matte finish (I think it should be called "semi-gloss" or "smooth", but whatever). However, their matte finish is only textured on the top; it is semi-matte (i.e., smooth) on the sides.

If you are seeing a difference in the matte texture, it is probably a by-product of slight differences between stocks of ABS plastic they've received over the years from their suppliers. Also note that the matte finish for PBT keycaps is quite a bit smoother than for ABS keycaps.

Thanks for your response.

What does the matte finish look like? Are we referring to the top texture or is it something else? In other words, are the regular DSA caps semi-matte on the sides and matte (textured) on top versus SA which are semi-matte all around?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 19:27:24 »
OK, yes. I don't know how I missed it...

Available keycap sizes and shapes

S: semi-matte (smooth) top and sides
    G: gloss top and sides
    M: matte top (rough), semi-matte sides

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_SA_family

Thank you.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 11:29:10 »
I should mention that there are other differences between the "old stock" and newly produced keycaps.

Along with being more matte, the touch surface area of the new caps is a bit wider at ~12.7 mm versus ~12.4 mm, which is actually quite noticeable.

The keycaps/molds are labelled DSA 41 (newer) and DSA 37 (older).

Offline adelebrown68

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 21:27:06 »
Standard Keycaps. Family profiles can be low, medium or high with a sculptured or non-sculptured look.
  Kick The Buddy