Author Topic: How to clean Razer Blackwidow keyboard?  (Read 16884 times)

Offline Pete528

How to clean Razer Blackwidow keyboard?
« on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 21:34:40 »
hey everyone,

i have a Razer Blackwidow mechanical keyboard. Yesterday, I accidentally spilled sparkling cider (lol) on the keyboard and it immediately stopped working. I assumed it was broken and just put it away.

On a whim, I decided to try the keyboard today and to my surprise, it is working! It's pretty awesome, I thought I'd have to go buy a new keyboard. I'm actually typing on the blackwidow right now.

Only thing is, the keys where the cider spilled are kind of messed up now (pretty much the whole left half of the keyboard). The keys kind of stick when I push them and don't click, and it especially requires a lot of force to push down the Q, W, and A keys.

Anyway, does anyone know how I can clean this up? The Razer website says that I shouldn't remove the keys because I could damage what's under them or something but if I can't clean the crap from under the keys I might as well just buy another keyboard.

So, is it safe to remove the keys? If so, how can I do it, and what is the safest way for me to clean up the sticky cider underneath the keys if I manage to get them off?

Thanks for any help!

Offline DeltaGunner

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 15:23:01 »
You can pull the caps of quite easily(not that easy, dont force it but wiggle a bit). I you want to get inside the switch you need to desolder them.
Thats all I know about it, never opened my Razer.
Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy your BlackWidow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline hella

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 21:04:45 »
Like everyone else said here, just pull off the keycaps and start cleaning away.  I love using an old toothbrush because it won't mark up the plastic under the keys.

I'd use soap and water to clean it up first, and if that doesn't work ripster's cleaning agents will help you remove that nasty cider residue.  Best of luck dude!

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 21:06:07 »
i read somewhere a dishwasher and to put the keys in the washer and dryer with your clothes. I think it was deskthor
AF | Ducky YOTD |