Author Topic: Snow + ?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Snow + ?
« on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 05:56:15 »
So when they say,  4-6 inches of snow for wednesday, and then 6-10 inches snow for thursday.

Are we just suppose to add them up and assume that by the end of thursday there will be ~10-16 inches of snow total ?

How does this work ?

They rest the timer when presenting those numbers ?

Offline yui

Re: Snow + ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 06:16:50 »
from what i always understood those numbers it is snowfall so if snow did not compact and melt it would add up, but it will unlikely in the real world add up that high. well at least it is how i understand the thing, i never saw actually thick snow that stayed days in and day out. and why does it bother you? you will not go out either way :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 07:13:36 »
That's how much will fall everywhere.  Where there's wind it will bank up against walls and it will fall off roofs so nowhere actually land up that depth even ignoring melting, compacting and other human intervention (plowing roads to make pavements impassable, at least that's what they do here)

Still not had any that stuck around this year even though it's snowed many more times than usual.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 08:25:51 »

nowhere actually land up that depth even ignoring melting, compacting and other

I look at clearly isolated and undisturbed objects for an accurate count. An outdoor table standing by itself on the patio, for example, unless a strong wind is blowing and then you will never know.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 09:57:36 »

nowhere actually land up that depth even ignoring melting, compacting and other

I look at clearly isolated and undisturbed objects for an accurate count. An outdoor table standing by itself on the patio, for example, unless a strong wind is blowing and then you will never know.
There can be significant snow without wind?  In the ... four(?) times I've experienced proper snow there has always been lots of wind while the many times it hasn't been enough to stick there is no significant wind, as this year.  I have learnt something today :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 19:37:01 »

proper snow there has always been lots of wind

Snow is just rain at another temperature gradient. Sometimes rain falls straight down from a cloud, and sometimes there is a "storm" of some sort.

Have you never experienced the absolutely surreal peace, quiet, and beauty of snow falling straight down, and accumulating in silence?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 20:44:36 »
Have you never experienced the absolutely surreal peace, quiet, and beauty of snow falling straight down, and accumulating in silence?
Nope, snow usually falls at 45 degrees or in wild swirls as if it's falling between many slow tornadoes.

Probably has something to do with living on the skinny bit of an island rather than a huge land mass?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 21:07:28 »

Have you never experienced the absolutely surreal peace

snow usually falls .... in wild swirls

A pity, it creates an almost magical landscape.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 10:20:50 »

proper snow there has always been lots of wind

Snow is just rain at another temperature gradient. Sometimes rain falls straight down from a cloud, and sometimes there is a "storm" of some sort.

You know what I discovered recently? Snow falling has a sound, even without wind and when it's slow and fluffy. It sounds like static! Just quiet static.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 10:55:19 »

Just quiet static.

True. But with practically everything else muffled, it is probably far below any other natural ambient sound profile. (Why do people say "crickets"? Those things can be deafening!)

I attribute it to the tiny impact of flakes hitting tree limbs and leaves, and the almost infinitesimal "crunch" of snowflakes landing on the ground.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 12:35:03 »
You know I was thinking about it the other day. My sister's joint here is next to the ocean and every time you step outside you have this ever present roar of the ocean. It feels very loud. Then I farted last night while walking around and it felt like I just set off a grenade. Turns out is pervasive but quiet.