Author Topic: [IC] Phantom Skeleton Kit  (Read 37221 times)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
[IC] Phantom Skeleton Kit
« on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 16:44:03 »
News/Updates:

This is my first IC/GB, so please be patient with me. I am here to learn and serve to community.

[1/15]   Interest Check Form is up! If you haven't already, please fill it out  http://goo.gl/forms/P0YV7AKsU4

[1/29]   IC phase ending soon. There is minimal interest in this project, so we are just getting plates. I can post resources for all other parts needed to do the build if people need that. Plate layout will be Standard ANSI, with optional Winkeyless - potato renders below. If you need ISO or some other layout, PM me and we'll see what we can do.

[2/1]   Posted to Reddit. 22 orders for plates before posting. here's some renders!

More
126263-0

126265-1

[2/6] emailed the vendor for lead times and price confirmation. Also emailed @bpiphany for options on PCB pricing. Waiting to hear back from them before opening the GB next week. I am hoping to have some options for people who want a full kit

[2/10] given that Chinese new year was monday (2/8), there is no point in starting this group buy this week. The holiday lasts all week, and the lantern festival is in a couple weeks. Realistically, this GB won't start until the end of Feb, or early March.

[2/16] talked to the plate fab shop again. here are our available options (all same price):
  • ANSI 1.25, ANSI 1.5 WKL, ISO 1.25 and ISO 1.5 WKL
  • Aluminum or Stainless Steel
  • Dual-Action Sander Finish or #4 Grain

[2/19]   talked to a rep from mechanicalkeyboards.com at a local LAN event. i think it may now be possible to include phantom pcbs as well as the teensy 2.0 controllers, diodes, leds, resistors, etc into the group buy package! maybe even a little cheaper than our alternative options. I will keep you guys posted. GB starting this weekend if i can nail down some of these details and pricesin

[2/23]   Still negotiating prices, which will basically determine what parts will be included in the GB. I think we will be able to offer all layouts supported by the Teel PCB (ANSI 1.25, ANSI 1.5 WKL, ISO 1.25, ISO 1.5 WKL, and 7BIT. Still my goal to start GB and prototype by the end of the month!

[2/25]   OK, we have vendors and prices for all the parts except stabilizers. please PM me if you have a source that we could include, or at least point people to for the kit. working on final adjustments and preparations for the GB. looks like starting this week might be a stretch, so i will shoot for this weekend! thanks for your patience

[2/29]   Happy leap day! just posted the GB thread, awaiting mod approval. I will open up orders this week!!!

GROUP BUY IS OPEN
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80118

What's Included:

This list is currently in progress, and I will update as more feedback comes in from the community. My goal is to provide a complete kit for under $100.

• 2 Stainless Steel Plates (SAE 304): Top and Bottom
  • 12 Stainless Steel threaded standoffs
  • 24 Machine Screws
  • 1 Phantom PCB
  • 1 Teensy 2.0 Controller
  • Diodes (1N4148)
  • 2 LEDs (colors TBD)
  • 2 Resistors (if needed for LEDs)
  • Various types of switches - Greetech, Kailh, Gateron, Cherry
  • Stabilizers?

Some of these items we will need to find a vendor or omit from the kit. That will mean people will need to source those parts themselves.
I have a vendor for the plates, and bpiphany has offered to help with the PCBs. I am thinking it may be easiest to find a proxy and order the electronic parts from tao bao (LEDs, diodes, resistors). Maybe we can do the same for the Teensy 2.0. If anyone can help with this, please pm me.

Backstory:

This is a bit of a reboot of a group buy i was recently a part of. We had plates made, but they did not fit the Phantom PCB. There is still some interest from that group to have plates made, but there is not really enough interest to warrant a whole new group buy. My thought is to open this up to everyone, and include parts for an entire kit. If possible, I would like to be able to offer each individual part as a "child deal" that people could order separately. Ie. if you just wanted plates, or just wanted diodes, etc...

At this point, we just need to determine what is possible, and if we have enough people to make it happen.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:38:01 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] Phantom Skeleton Kit
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 17:57:42 »
I got enough TKLs myself but this is a really cool idea if you can get it done. For ~$100 that would be a great starter kit for people to dive into building keyboards. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 18:12:02 »
I wish you luck hopefully this doesn't succumb to the phantom curse.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 18:26:11 »
oh, now there's a curse...?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 18:30:34 »

Well if you look at the last phantom group buy and a few buys people tried to do afterwards related to the phantom they all crashed and burned.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 18:39:03 »

Well if you look at the last phantom group buy and a few buys people tried to do afterwards related to the phantom they all crashed and burned.

Yeah you should rename it; Ghost, revenant, shadow, shade, wraith or something.

Personally I like Wraith ;)
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 18:39:26 »
come to think of it... thats how this whole damn thing started
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:25:46 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 19:44:02 »
Might want to check out aliexpress or alibaba (for large quantities) so you don't need to proxy from taobao on the led's
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 20:00:21 »
I'd definitely be interested.

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 23:44:28 »
Guess this might be my 3rd round of trying to buy some Phantom plates.
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline toidbb

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 23:48:45 »
I am interested as well.

Offline wakko

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:27:07 »
In
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:37:50 »
ive been wanting to build a phantom... but i need to do more Aluminum milling on my CNC so i'll probably just go it alone. BUT for someone who doesn't have a CNC or who has built a keyboard before. this sounds smashing.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:40:18 »
Are there any pictures anywhere of what you're thinking of buying? I've never heard of a Phantom before. :/

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:42:30 »
mechanicalkeyboards.com has phantoms
sparkfun.com has teensys and accessories
maxkeyboards.com has leds
wasdkeyboards.com has stabs
MAX also has caps
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Data

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:45:03 »
Are there any pictures anywhere of what you're thinking of buying? I've never heard of a Phantom before. :/

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Phantom

---

I did a couple of Phantom builds recently on my own.  What happened with your plates not fitting?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:47:59 »
MAX also has caps

---

I did a couple of Phantom builds recently on my own.  What happened with your plates not fitting?

Ahhh, it's a PCB. Thank you!

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:48:58 »
More
MAX also has caps

---

Ahhh, it's a PCB. Thank you!
i have some useful information some times ;)
at least thats where i usually get stuff from so i dont have to wait a month for over seas shipping
Projects

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 08:23:58 »
I think this is what OP is trying to acheive?

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 08:24:58 »
I think this is what OP is trying to acheive?

Show Image

JD you always come in with the nicest stuff.  :thumb: :thumb:
Projects

Offline axtran

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:15:01 »
JD's boards are always so beautiful. :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:19:12 »
yep, that's exactly it, JD. thanks for posting the pictures. you were in the original group buy on DT, right? if those are the same SS plates i got, then you must have done your build with a GON or B.87 pcb.

Offline axtran

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:21:56 »
yep, that's exactly it, JD. thanks for posting the pictures. you were in the original group buy on DT, right? if those are the same SS plates i got, then you must have done your build with a GON or B.87 pcb.

There was a JD Skeleton made in the past with a Phantom inside. :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:27:32 »
mechanicalkeyboards.com has phantoms     $32 (+Teensy 2.0 $22)
MAX also has caps

I bought a Phantom PCB and Teensy 2.0 from MechanicalKeyboards.com for $54. Depending on the amount of interest (and bpiphany's help) i think we can get ours made for less.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:27:54 »

TIL

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:29:10 »

TIL

Do you need plate drawings? Sources for the hardware?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:32:13 »
Where did you buy plates that didn't fit?

Offline axtran

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:34:56 »

There was a DT GB for what seemed like an inexpensive set of plates for a skeleton-style TKL, which people assumed fit the Phantom.

Top row fitment didn't work out... Left everyone with plates they couldn't Phantom. People can turn to GON PCBs, but that's kind of expensive for what the board intended to be. Hope I captured it correctly!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:40:07 »

There was a DT GB for what seemed like an inexpensive set of plates for a skeleton-style TKL, which people assumed fit the Phantom.

Top row fitment didn't work out... Left everyone with plates they couldn't Phantom. People can turn to GON PCBs, but that's kind of expensive for what the board intended to be. Hope I captured it correctly!
Ah ok. I don't follow DT much anymore.

Offline harlw

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:56:07 »
I dig it
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 11:34:18 »

TIL

Do you need plate drawings? Sources for the hardware?

I have developed CAD files and have quotes from a couple fab shops for the plates. Thanks for the offer. If this goes to GB and we can find a cheaper source, we will definitely go that route.

yeah, it was more of a selling point than an assumption. another hard lesson for me - always check yourself. i had left it to others to verify the design.

The plates in this GB will fit the Phantom sold by MechanicalKeyboards.com and our own PCBs if we have them made for a group buy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 22:49:45 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 14:07:20 »
I'm interested in PCB, controller and plates.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 14:59:25 »
survey is up. thanks everyone for your responses in-thread. please also go to the link and submit your interest there

Offline ika

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:09:02 »
Might want to check out aliexpress or alibaba (for large quantities) so you don't need to proxy from taobao on the led's

Many of the eBay dealers will work with you if you need larger quantities. Their english is decent enough to work a transaction with. I got 1800 1.8mm LEDs shipped ePacket for roughly $66, when the base prices were 0.05/ea or 0.10/ea for the LEDs.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:11:53 »
Woooo!

If you need assistance for this project, feel free to PM me.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:12:47 »

Many of the eBay dealers will work with you if you need larger quantities. Their english is decent enough to work a transaction with. I got 1800 1.8mm LEDs shipped ePacket for roughly $66, when the base prices were 0.05/ea or 0.10/ea for the LEDs.

good point! there are a couple vendors i have worked with previously. still getting emails from them every now and then... damn they are persistent

i am fairly confident that we can find electronic parts for cheap. if not, its pretty easy for people to source themselves. The trick will be finding the Teensy 2.0 boards for cheap, or someone who can make them for us.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:14:07 »
Woooo!

Thanks, LeandreN! do you have any sources for switches and stabilizers? I'm thinking probly Gateron...

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:24:57 »
_

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:27:27 »
Woooo!

Thanks, LeandreN! do you have any sources for switches and stabilizers? I'm thinking probly Gateron...
Switches yes, stabilisers no.

Offline bbrotha

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:43:17 »
Interested, I was in the DT GB as well, and I rather spend $100 ish on everything than on a single gon board tbh.
Norbaforce 87U 45g  -- HHKB Type S Blanks-- Kira Keyboard -- M65-A -- Novatouch

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 16:07:36 »
Interested, I was in the DT GB as well, and I rather spend $100 ish on everything than on a single gon board tbh.

you could just order plates if thats all you need

Offline amharris

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 16:40:51 »
A kit like this for under $100 is fantastic.
Though I wouldn't skimp where there would be small increases, as I think most would be happy to pay a tad more [I'm not implying that you are skimping, just making a statement].

...but yeah, I'd be in for this, even though I'm about to have a house move; this is just too cheap to pass up!

Brilliant work so far, roostrc0gburn.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 16:42:08 »
I'm in. Was just looking into a phantom based TKL this week.
I have to agree about pricing and extra features. If we could pay a bit more to get a nicer case or other changes Id be willing too.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 16:51:35 »
Though I wouldn't skimp where there would be small increases, as I think most would be happy to pay a tad more [I'm not implying that you are skimping, just making a statement].

...but yeah, I'd be in for this, even though I'm about to have a house move; this is just too cheap to pass up!

I have to agree about pricing and extra features. If we could pay a bit more to get a nicer case or other changes Id be willing too.

Thanks, guys. I agree. We want a quality product. I dont see any reason why this kit couldn't be under/around $100 though. That is what I'm shooting for

Offline amharris

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:02:21 »

Thanks, guys. I agree. We want a quality product. I dont see any reason why this kit couldn't be under/around $100 though. That is what I'm shooting for

Brilliant to hear that!
Additionally, you may want to change the checkboxes to radio buttons, given that they are 'Yes or No' responses, as - in their current state - the form can be submitted with both of each checked. :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:05:03 »

Brilliant to hear that!
Additionally, you may want to change the checkboxes to radio buttons, given that they are 'Yes or No' responses, as - in their current state - the form can be submitted with both of each checked. :)

thanks for that! this is a first time for many things :-D

Offline amharris

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:09:26 »

Brilliant to hear that!

Hehe.
Also, just a personal thing... I'd like to see the switches and stabilisers in the interest form separated, as it's easy for me to get switches at a fairly affordable price [Gaterons] but a bit tricky to get stabilisers, so being able to split up what I want would be great.
Thanks in advance! :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:14:22 »

Brilliant to hear that!

Hehe.
Also, just a personal thing... I'd like to see the switches and stabilisers in the interest form separated, as it's easy for me to get switches at a fairly affordable price [Gaterons] but a bit tricky to get stabilisers, so being able to split up what I want would be great.

i agree on this one also. We just have to find a vendor first! looks LeandreN will be able to help with the switches.

Offline amharris

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:21:49 »

Brilliant to hear that!

Hehe.

i agree on this one also. We just have to find a vendor first! looks LeandreN will be able to help with the switches.

Yeah, he should be able to feed a lot of Gateron Blues to you and possibly other Gaterons, if there is a decent MOQ.

Cheers.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 19:34:31 »
Submitted IC!

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 05:37:55 »

Please.

Which plates are you planning on producing?

Offline afonsoocosta

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 08:32:51 »
Can I only ask for 1 plate? The top? I want a wood case with a metal/aluminum plate on the top, and the plate is like you have :p how i put only the top plate on the IC?

I want the top Plate, the PCB the Teensy 2.0 Controller, the diodes and the LED's for Caps... The switchs depends the price of them...

Thanks and I hope the GB runs

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 09:59:54 »
I'd be interested.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 11:19:23 »

Please.

Working on a render this week, but see JDCarpe's photos for reference for now.

Can I only ask for 1 plate? The top? I want a wood case with a metal/aluminum plate on the top, and the plate is like you have :p how i put only the top plate on the IC?

I want the top Plate, the PCB the Teensy 2.0 Controller, the diodes and the LED's for Caps... The switchs depends the price of them...

Thanks for the interest :-) plates will be sold in sets - top and bottom. If you haven't already, please fill out the form linked in OP

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 11:22:49 »
Submitted IC!

Thanks! Input from the forms will set prices when this goes to group buy.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 12:03:53 »
so far, we only have 14 orders + mine. this is probably enough to do the plates, but not enough orders to really get a price break on anything else.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 12:54:45 »

Please.

Working on a render this week, but see JDCarpe's photos for reference for now.

Thanks for the interest :-) plates will be sold in sets - top and bottom. If you haven't already, please fill out the form linked in OP

???

ANSI 1.25
ANSI 1.5
ISO 1.25
ISO 1.5
7BIT
PROF 1.25
PROF 1.5

???

I was part of the round 2 buy, and have everything except my plate* - a PROF 1.5.  I keep meaning to get one made (or a unique layout which I'd prefer even more) however, crap keeps getting in the way.

*having only ordered the plate and PCB half my order just vanished into...

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 17:18:23 »
FYI erybody.

I'll leave this IC up for the rest of the week and probably post to reddit to see if there's any more interest over there. From the feedback so far, looks like we're doing just plates. Group Buy will start early Feb. I still have some stuff to do to set up before we can run

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:35:06 »
Just plates? Welp, count me out.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 01:27:44 »
so... 14 plates

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:19:24 »
I'm interested in one, and maybe a base plate, but not knowing what styles you plan on producing don't feel it would be fair to put my name down as a yes - only to turn to rescind at a later date if you're not producing the layout I want.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:33:57 »
I'm interested in one, and maybe a base plate, but not knowing what styles you plan on producing don't feel it would be fair to put my name down as a yes - only to turn to rescind at a later date if you're not producing the layout I want.

you're right - i never did specify. sorry! as of right now, I have developed a CAD file for standard ANSI layout. I modified it slightly to have a winkeyless plate made also. Other layouts are possible, but probably outside the scope of this little group buy. PM me if you want something else made. we might be able to do it

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:05:03 »
I'm only really interested if there's baseplates/standoffs included. A non universal plate is actually preferred for me.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:49:41 »
If you're okay with Costar, they are very inexpensive from WASD.

Doesn't Zeal have stabilisers in his store? Maybe only worth it if you are buying Zealios because of the shipping cost.

Will this need standoffs for the LEDs?

I'm only really interested if there's baseplates/standoffs included. A non universal plate is actually preferred for me.

yes, plates must be orders in sets - top and bottom. you can easily source standoffs and screws yourself from McMaster Carr.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 00:43:51 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 21:52:48 »

yes, plates must be orders in sets - top and bottom. you can easily source standoffs and screws yourself from McMaster Carr. Here's links to what I will use:
Standoffs: http://www.mcmaster.com/mv1453753815/#91125a613/=10wbq69
Screws: http://www.mcmaster.com/mv1453753815/#90910a710/=10wbq8f

That sounds perfect then.

Offline ehwc

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 17:59:56 »
I hadn't checked on that Deskthority thread in a white because I was so annoyed with the "resolution" of that GB, haha. Glad to hear you're still looking to produce the plates! In for one :thumb:

A question on the standoffs and screws for whoever has experience to answer this: a 1/2 inch standoff like this should be enough clearance, correct? Also, would a GON-style countersink screw link this sit relatively flush to the hole, or would I have to look for a screw that's much smaller and has a head that's just larger than the holes on the plate? And if the latter, I guess my question is then how large are the holes for the screws on the plate?

Thanks in advance!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:19:53 »
I hadn't checked on that Deskthority thread in a white because I was so annoyed with the "resolution" of that GB, haha. Glad to hear you're still looking to produce the plates! In for one :thumb:

A question on the standoffs and screws for whoever has experience to answer this: a 1/2 inch standoff like this should be enough clearance, correct? Also, would a GON-style countersink screw link this sit relatively flush to the hole, or would I have to look for a screw that's much smaller and has a head that's just larger than the holes on the plate? And if the latter, I guess my question is then how large are the holes for the screws on the plate?

Thanks in advance!

bolt holes are 0.0650" (1/16 = 0.0625) Holes will not be countersunk. Your standoffs are fine. I suggested some hardware earlier in the thread. When this goes to GB I will be sure to list all the (suggested) parts, where to get them, and how much they cost.

Offline ehwc

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:21:44 »

Thanks in advance!

bolt holes are 0.0650" (1/16 = 0.0625) Holes will not be countersunk. Your standoffs are fine. I suggested some hardware earlier in the thread. When this goes to GB I will be sure to list all the (suggested) parts, where to get them, and how much they cost.

Thanks!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:14:02 »
update bump. check OP

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 13:12:05 »
Not a fan of winkeyless myself. Probably would only buy if its standard ansi.

Offline tuco

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 14:16:51 »
Not a fan of winkeyless myself. Probably would only buy if its standard ansi.

Me too.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:54:33 »
roger that. i think i will be able to make both layouts available in either stainless or aluminum

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 05:19:37 »
The strike out on PCB and controller means that they won't available in the GB anymore?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 14:19:02 »
The strike out on PCB and controller means that they won't available in the GB anymore?

i crossed them out with the assumption that we dont have enough people to get a significant discount on those items. I am currently trying to determine if we can get a complete set in the ~ $100-$120 range before starting the Group Buy phase, so this could change.

small update, GB will be starting in a couple weeks. the delay is mainly due to chinese new year

Offline TurtleHat

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:44:32 »
I'm interested in an ANSIWIN Phantom plate, but it doesn't look like that's on the table here. Maybe if there's a future group buy.

Offline axtran

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 22:44:08 »
I recommend considering JD's offer as he can help with plates to meet International layouts too (if desired).

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 23:03:31 »
I recommend considering JD's offer as he can help with plates to meet International layouts too (if desired).

yes, a good suggestion. i wanted to keep this simple in the beginning, but perhaps offering multiple layouts could gain interest. i dont know if multiple patterns will add complexity (price) to the order, or if it even matters.

since we'll be stuck in IC for a couple more weeks, i will put up a poll for multiple layouts. can i get suggestions?

Offline axtran

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 23:15:49 »

yes, a good suggestion. i wanted to keep this simple in the beginning, but perhaps offering multiple layouts could gain interest. i dont know if multiple patterns will add complexity (price) to the order, or if it even matters.

since we'll be stuck in IC for a couple more weeks, i will put up a poll for multiple layouts. can i get suggestions?

I honestly think you'll need four major ones--ANSI 1.25, ANSI 1.5 WKL, ISO 1.25 and ISO 1.5 WKL.

Offline skiwithpete

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:46:26 »
I'm in for one of these BTW.

Please let me know if this is going to happen.

P
Co-Founder of 1upkeyboards.com

QFR Brown + PokerII Clear

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 21:55:25 »
I'm in for one of these BTW.

Please let me know if this is going to happen.

P

definitely going to happen - just a question of when (after chinese new year), what all people want, and what we can get

Offline mrging

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:00:07 »
i'm in , cant wait to see this GB happen

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:34:04 »

I honestly think you'll need four major ones--ANSI 1.25, ANSI 1.5 WKL, ISO 1.25 and ISO 1.5 WKL.

@jdcarpe,  sent you a PM on this.

Offline kebby

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 07:45:09 »
I hope you could consider including the 7BIT plate as an option. I'd go for even multiple if that helps the case. Being able to get a split space is so rare and the Phantom would offer it but not being able to get the plates anywhere keeps me from building one.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 16:46:29 »
I hope you could consider including the 7BIT plate as an option. I'd go for even multiple if that helps the case. Being able to get a split space is so rare and the Phantom would offer it but not being able to get the plates anywhere keeps me from building one.

If you (or JD) have a CAD file for the layout, it would be pretty easy. I talked to the plate fab shop agian today to confirm prices and lead times. they can do pretty much any TKL layout we want (within reason) for the same price. they can also do aluminum and have some basic finishing capabilities. I am not familiar with the 7BIT layout, so please enlighten me

OP has been updated

Offline kebby

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 19:34:50 »

If you (or JD) have a CAD file for the layout, it would be pretty easy. I talked to the plate fab shop agian today to confirm prices and lead times. they can do pretty much any TKL layout we want (within reason) for the same price. they can also do aluminum and have some basic finishing capabilities. I am not familiar with the 7BIT layout, so please enlighten me

OP has been updated

Looks like you could get the CAD files for it and some other Phantom plates here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47744

The default variant is shown here https://deskthority.net/wiki/Phantom and there's also a download for some CAD files but it looks like it's a less complete archive.

Offline mrging

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 07:31:52 »
Which better? steel or aluminum?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 07:33:20 »

steel is harder but aluminum wont rust  but you can paint either or anodize them. so it could be a toss up.

aluminum is softer and is faster/easier to machine out if your using a CNC.

just depends on the manufacturing or your requirements for the part.
Projects

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 11:58:06 »

steel is harder but aluminum wont rust  but you can paint either or anodize them. so it could be a toss up.

these are all great points, but let me add some perspective - these parts will all be lazered, so material type is almost moot. stainless steel will be heavier and more rigid, which is better for linear switches. aluminum has a bit of flex, which is better for tactile or clicky switches. The aluminum plates available will not be anodized. aluminum will oxidize, but at a very slow rate. nevertheless, i would still suggest that people who select an aluminum plate provide some layer of protection - anodizing or painting. the steel plates will be stainless #304, so oxidization is not an issue.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 12:02:15 »

these are all great points, but let me add some perspective - these parts will all be lazered, so material type is almost moot. stainless steel will be heavier and more rigid, which is better for linear switches. aluminum has a bit of flex, which is better for tactile or clicky switches. The aluminum plates available will not be anodized. aluminum will oxidize, but at a very slow rate. nevertheless, i would still suggest that people who select an aluminum plate provide some layer of protection - anodizing or painting. the steel plates will be stainless #304, so oxidization is not an issue.

:thumb:
Projects

Offline mrging

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 10:00:51 »
hmmm nice, but how about shipping? shipping to vietnam cost how much ?

Offline braidn

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 12:45:10 »
Hmm, if there was a 7bit option thrown in here, especially with WKL... I might have to be in.

Offline mrging

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 04:52:58 »
hmm.. what is ansi 1.25 and 1.5 diff? bottom row?

Offline kenshinjeff

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:32:54 »
Filled up the form : )

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 23:48:42 »
+1
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 18:50:07 »
Update Bump!

you wanted layouts? You got layouts! OP updated. Also, it might again be possible to offer kits for a full keyboard! all parts included! i'm psyched on this

it's happening, guys!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:17:17 »
update bump. OP updated

we will now have all the parts needed to build the keyboard available in the group buy - except stabilizers. if anyone knows of a source, please PM me. even if they are not included in the group buy, i would like to be able to point people in the right direction to find all the parts to build the board.

still finishing up a couple things. it has been my goal to start the GB this week, but that may be a little rushed. I will try for this weekend, but if not - next week is looking pretty doable.

Thanks everyone!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:30:40 »
Is anyone proxying in Europe?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:54:20 »
Is anyone proxying in Europe?

i haven't heard anyone volunteer, but i bet there are a couple people we could ask...

Offline mark_thaddeus

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:47:04 »
I'm interested and did the survey!

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 08:16:24 »
Does the Phantom PCB need diodes? I thought you only need those when you do manual wiring in the form of a matrix.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 08:25:07 »
Does the Phantom PCB need diodes? I thought you only need those when you do manual wiring in the form of a matrix.

Any keyboard with anti-ghosting and/or more than 2KRO has diodes. Many newer PCBs have SMD diodes installed at the factory, but the Phantom was designed with through hole intentions. So yes, you have to solder the diodes in during assembly. It's not hard at all.

in memoriam

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:10:21 »

Any keyboard with anti-ghosting and/or more than 2KRO has diodes. Many newer PCBs have SMD diodes installed at the factory, but the Phantom was designed with through hole intentions. So yes, you have to solder the diodes in during assembly. It's not hard at all.

Soldering diodes is so relaxing
so Zen!
happy place
 :thumb: ;D
Projects

Offline axtran

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:29:01 »
Checked in on the OP again--figure buying a large amount of Teensy modules directly from PJRC might be effective, and electrical components as a large order from Mouser would be bad either. :)

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 16:58:32 »

Thanks for the explanation!

Offline megaforce

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 19:30:48 »
Would we be able to order pieces of the kit?

Thanks for your hard work on the project! :D
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 22:05:04 »
Would we be able to order pieces of the kit?

Thanks for your hard work on the project! :D

Yup. I am thinking that I will offer all the parts in a kit at one price, and make all the individual parts (that I have access to) available for purchase separately.

Offline need

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 22:49:25 »
So psyched about this, it's happening this weekend right? :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 01:38:25 »

i would like to start it this weekend, but i'm not quite ready to start taking orders. still trying to procure a solid vendor for stabilizers. i would also like to offer gateron switches if possible

as soon as i get it all locked in, we're ready to launch  :thumb:

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 02:04:35 »
I have all the Phantom parts except for a case.

Depending on price I might get this simple skeleton one  :thumb:

Offline mrging

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 02:38:20 »
so can we get custom sw - like ergo clear or black 60g?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 03:42:12 »
so can we get custom sw - like ergo clear or black 60g?

probly not... at this point we have greetech, kailh, cherry, and a limited supply of gaterons. still no stabs...

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:28:03 »

i would like to start it this weekend, but i'm not quite ready to start taking orders. still trying to procure a solid vendor for stabilizers. i would also like to offer gateron switches if possible

as soon as i get it all locked in, we're ready to launch  :thumb:

Dang roostr, its been a while since I've checked in here, looks like this is going to be a solid buy hope you get lots of support.  :thumb:
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:50:01 »
The survey to me suggests that switches and stabilizers come in a package deal, is that the case? I'd prefer to just get stabilizers.

Offline mrging

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 11:46:28 »
:v hope we can get ZEALIO SWITCHES hehe. anw hope thing start soon.... cant wait anymore..

Offline need

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 11:13:05 »
OP, how's it going?   :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 13:52:19 »
The survey to me suggests that switches and stabilizers come in a package deal, is that the case? I'd prefer to just get stabilizers.

so far, we dont have a vendor for stabilizers. one may show up during GB, but looks like people will have to source their own.  :(

:v hope we can get ZEALIO SWITCHES hehe. anw hope thing start soon.... cant wait anymore..

Zealios are proprietary through Zeal, and i seriously doubt he would offer a discount for us on this kit. he has (or recently had) a LARGE group buy going on. expect to see more of these in the second hand market and other vendors soon

OP, how's it going?   :)

good. how you doin?  ;)

I'll post the GB thread tonight. feels a bit premature, but wth

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 14:23:33 »
Doesn't Zeal have stabilisers in his store? Maybe only worth it if you are buying Zealios because of the shipping cost.

Offline axtran

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 16:44:05 »

Offline tuco

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 19:33:15 »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 00:29:59 »

yes, great idea. thanks for that! i thought i saw some in a recent GB thread...  ;D

another good source, thanks!

no, standoffs will not be necessary, the plate design has very small holes for the LEDs. they will be installed flat to the pcb, under the plate. I will post a build log when prototyping to explain...

Just posted the GB thread. awaiting mod approval. I will open up orders this week. hoping to not get overwhelmed... kinda nervous
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 00:57:02 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline axtran

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 06:29:39 »
You could also opt to use the in-switch LED option for the locking keys instead of the a Filco positions. It's preference and both are supported.

Maybe do pinholes, similar to the Orion v2 at the Filco LED positions? Would be cool.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:06:54 »
You could also opt to use the in-switch LED option for the locking keys instead of the a Filco positions. It's preference and both are supported.

Maybe do pinholes, similar to the Orion v2 at the Filco LED positions? Would be cool.

pinholes are what we have now. I dont think I will be making any more changes to the plate design unless there is some flaw

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:11:03 »

pinholes are what we have now. I dont think I will be making any more changes to the plate design unless there is some flaw

Pinholes are gold! +1
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline rotciveel

• Fugu Curator Extraordinaire
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:24:39 »
Get that GB thread approved!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:52:29 »
Get that GB thread approved!

I DONT KNOW HOW!

Offline rotciveel

• Fugu Curator Extraordinaire
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:54:54 »

Offline axtran

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:28:59 »

Issue with Phantom PCB is that it requires plate-mount switches and plate-mount stabilizers. I don't think Zeal has plate-mount stabilizers. Cheapest solution is going to be purchasing 6.25U wire (or 7U wire) on eBay and then finding plate-mount hardware to get Cherry G99 stabilizers, else force everyone to use Costar (which will not jive well with the Cherry Profile keycap crowd. :(

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:37:34 »

Issue with Phantom PCB is that it requires plate-mount switches and plate-mount stabilizers. I don't think Zeal has plate-mount stabilizers. Cheapest solution is going to be purchasing 6.25U wire (or 7U wire) on eBay and then finding plate-mount hardware to get Cherry G99 stabilizers, else force everyone to use Costar (which will not jive well with the Cherry Profile keycap crowd. :(

I think he does.

https://zealpc.net/collections/accessories/products/pcb-plate-mount-cherry-stabilizers

:)

Offline K.Mak

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:53:47 »

I am a fan of thick Cherry profile PBT and Costar stabilizers and the only time I had a compatibility issue was when I was using a plate that clearly wasn't cut well enough to support the Costar. This was basically proven when I pulled the stabilizers out of my Filco to try out. Meanwhile, I popped those same "incompatible" stabilizers into the Filco, also flawless operation. I have had both Filco and WASD boards with Cherry profile thick PBT, the plate with the issue was from a group buy.

I am pretty sure the only time stabilizers grind keys is when the cutout in the plate isn't large enough, which ends up compressing the stabilizer pegs slightly. This leads to the wire itself being somewhat out of an ideal position and grinding the cap.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:10:56 »

I am a fan of thick Cherry profile PBT and Costar stabilizers and the only time I had a compatibility issue was when I was using a plate that clearly wasn't cut well enough to support the Costar. This was basically proven when I pulled the stabilizers out of my Filco to try out. Meanwhile, I popped those same "incompatible" stabilizers into the Filco, also flawless operation. I have had both Filco and WASD boards with Cherry profile thick PBT, the plate with the issue was from a group buy.

I am pretty sure the only time stabilizers grind keys is when the cutout in the plate isn't large enough, which ends up compressing the stabilizer pegs slightly. This leads to the wire itself being somewhat out of an ideal position and grinding the cap.

yup. 1000x this. i had the same issue with some of my previous keyboards. I am definitely verifying this during prototyping. Costar stabs are (in my experience) usually more available, and cheaper. They are very finicky, though. The problem is that not all clips are created equal; make the cutout too small, and the stems grind. Make the cutout too large and you get a TON of chatter. I have a couple different sets I will be using to verify the cutout sizes, but if anyone else has input please share!

Offline axtran

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:32:52 »
I can guarantee that Costar doesn't work on true GMK/OG Cherry keycaps. "Cherry Profile" Gateron is YMMV. I also didn't see Zeal had Plate Mount stabs. No matter, the shipping is prohibitive for a cost-effective bulk purchase, all things considered with a Phantom package. :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:58:42 »
I use Costar stabilizers on a Filco with OG Cherry keycaps without any issue.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:37:25 »
Group Buy thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80118

locking this thread. Thanks everyone!