Author Topic: [IC] TheVan 44 PCB + Kit - Group Buy now LIVE  (Read 27793 times)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
[IC] TheVan 44 PCB + Kit - Group Buy now LIVE
« on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 23:51:03 »
Group Buy https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80988.0

I have finished my pcb design for TheVan44 which was show cased at the 2015 KeyCon.  It is a 40% keyboard with the following key layout

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/d89f40f03516b45703e1

hand wired prototype with Hack'd by Geeks Keycaps

Please ask questions and let me know if you are interested in purchasing a pcb!

Obviously the more we purchase the cheaper they will be.  At 20 boards the price is down to about $40.00 usd.  At 40 boards the price drops to about $27.00 usd.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 April 2016, 13:34:24 by evangs »

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: TheVan 44 PCB
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 00:06:49 »
This is just for a PCB, right?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 00:14:53 »
This is just for a PCB, right?

Currently, yes. The pcb does have surface mount components, so all that is needed are switches.  I could add plates/sandwich case if there is interest for that.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 01:07:26 »
That would certainly make it more attractive to me. Also, I should say that this looks great and good job so far.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:18:43 »
Thanks for the kind words and feedback!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:20:31 »
Definitely interested

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:40:38 »
Ahhhh yeah

Offline braidn

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:47:03 »
Interested with plate + sandwich case

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:49:09 »
Interested with plate + sandwich case

I will design some plates and cases tonight and run some numbers on those.  Thanks for the interest!

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:52:20 »
If I didn't already have a 40% coming in I would most definitely be interested.
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 21:11:01 »
Even just a switch plate (no back plate) would make this much more appealing to me, simply in terms of usability.  :thumb:  Of course a back plate, standoffs, and screws would make it even easier.  :)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 21:12:05 »
Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 12:45:01 »
Ordered 3 prototypes!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 13:08:32 »
40% isn't for me but I'm happy to see TheVan evolving from the hand wired version I saw at KeyCon.  I'm impressed to see you designed a PCB for it!  This is definitely a product of love. :)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 13:09:51 »
Thank you for the kind words :)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 15:27:14 »
update: currently waiting for prototype boards to be made.  working on some case options that I think will be really nice.  rolling around a few other ideas for inclusion in a kit of this.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 14:19:28 »
I'm interested.  Could you please explain the spacing on the bottom row, please?

Also, what did you do to learn PCB design?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:21:31 »
I'm definitely interested in this pcb. Are you going to offer different pcb color options? Same. as some others, I am interested in a complete 40% keyboard kit too. I do have a Golbat 40 on the way & would like to know besides the pcb, what other unique offerings will your complete 40 kit offer?
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:28:44 by William_S_Jones »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:28:09 »
I'm interested.  Could you please explain the spacing on the bottom row, please?

the bottom row is 1.25, 1.5, 1.25, 2.25, 2.0, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75

The hack'd by geeks keycap set didn't have all those sizes which is why it looks all uneven.  I have some blank dsa caps that fit perfectly.  I kind of like 1.0 unit keys in place of the 1.5 keys as the little gap makes hitting the right key a little bit easier.  I am getting quotes on a custom keycap set for this kit, so hopefully we can get a nice set that fits perfectly.

EDIT: to learn pcb design I did a lot of reading as well as zooming in on existing pcbs and staring at what others have done.  I went to school for embedded systems, so I had some exposure to circuits, schematics, etc.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:30:38 by evangs »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:34:06 »
I'm definitely interested in this pcb. Are you going to offer different pcb color options? Same. as some others, I am interested in a complete 40% keyboard kit too. I do have a Golbat 40 on the way & would like to know besides the pcb, what other unique offerings will your complete 40 kit offer?

we could do multiple colors if there is enough interest.  what color are you interested in?  My current plan was to invert the colors for the final pcb run (white pcb with black silk screen).  I am in the process of designing a case for the board, currently sketching some 3D models and working with another member of the community to see what we can do.  I also am looking into the possibility of a custom keycap set for this kit, will hopefully have more information for that soon.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:35:52 »
Awesome name and PCB you got going on.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:37:30 »
Awesome name and PCB you got going on.

haha, Thanks!

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:40:33 »

The hack'd by geeks keycap set didn't have all those sizes which is why it looks all uneven.  I have some blank dsa caps that fit perfectly.  I kind of like 1.0 unit keys in place of the 1.5 keys as the little gap makes hitting the right key a little bit easier.  I am getting quotes on a custom keycap set for this kit, so hopefully we can get a nice set that fits perfectly.

Evangs, I'm interested even more now. Even though I just asked some questions, I'm really looking forward to seeing those samples you ordered!
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:43:18 by William_S_Jones »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:43:53 »

Evangs, I'm interested even more now. Even though I just asked some questions, I'm really looking forward to seeing those samples you ordered!

Awesome!  If I can get everything worked out, this is going to be an awesome kit!!

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:55:19 »

we could do multiple colors if there is enough interest.  what color are you interested in?  My current plan was to invert the colors for the final pcb run (white pcb with black silk screen).  I am in the process of designing a case for the board, currently sketching some 3D models and working with another member of the community to see what we can do.  I also am looking into the possibility of a custom keycap set for this kit, will hopefully have more information for that soon.
This is great, I'm really looking forward to your complete 40% keyboard. The inverted pcb sounds great. The diferent pcb color options that I'm thinking of are yellow, royal blue, green, & red.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:57:54 »

This is great, I'm really looking forward to your complete 40% keyboard. The inverted pcb sounds great. The diferent pcb color options that I'm thinking of are yellow, royal blue, green, & red.

this makes me happy!  I will be trying to get these last few details worked out, so that we can get this thing rolling once pcb has been validated!

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 22:10:01 »

this makes me happy!  I will be trying to get these last few details worked out, so that we can get this thing rolling once pcb has been validated!

As soon as this GB is up & running, I'll be a part of it. I know this is a going to be an awesome 40% board kit! Nothing beats a unique mechancial keyboard which gives reason to have it!
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2016, 22:12:38 by William_S_Jones »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 22:11:27 »

/quote

As soon as this GB is up & running, I'll be a part of it. I know this is a going to be an awesome 40% board kit! Nothing beats a unique mechancial keyboard which gives reason to have it!

^_^

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:37:59 »
Drew up some cad files for a case and ordered a 3D printed prototype.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:40:45 »
Definitely interested in a plate/case can happen  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline toidbb

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 23:07:57 »
Interested, for the complete package.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 23:09:21 »

Sweet!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 23:09:54 »

Interested, for the complete package.

Awesome, will post pictures of prototypes when available

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 13:33:35 »

Same here, definitely looking forward to this project.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:46:27 »
If keycaps (a nice special set just for TheVan44) were to be a part of this kit, what profile would those that are interested prefer?  SA isn't available until July, but DSA and DCS could both be done fairly quickly.  Also what do you think of these colors? http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/d89f40f03516b45703e1  I'm still waiting on a quote for the case, but so far pricing is looking pretty good for the kit.

Please let me know if you are interested in caps with this kit and what you think of the design above as well as profile!

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:58:55 »
If keycaps (a nice special set just for TheVan44) were to be a part of this kit, what profile would those that are interested prefer?  SA isn't available until July, but DSA and DCS could both be done fairly quickly.  Also what do you think of these colors? http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/d89f40f03516b45703e1  I'm still waiting on a quote for the case, but so far pricing is looking pretty good for the kit.

Please let me know if you are interested in caps with this kit and what you think of the design above as well as profile!

I'm doing this for my phone so sorry if everything seems muffled and jumbled together I like those keycaps I would be interested in buying those with the complete project kit so I'm all for it I mean my second question is all based on how the cell does do you think maybe an additional keycap color or maybe r4 like even say a flip flop all that current either way I'm in this so whenever you have everything together I believe I'll be going ahead with this I'm just responding Mikasa really like this project you're working on but again I gotta fix as soon as I get home cause I'm just talking through my phone right now

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:51:17 »

Colors look fine. I will say from experience with making keycap sets that you can accidentally open up a can of worms asking people to help design a keycap set too much. While feedback is good, if you are really making a keyboard (such as now) and not a keycap set, you probably want to just stick with your gut for the most part  :thumb: Anything classy and simple will work, as they never seem to drive people away.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:56:03 »

Colors look fine. I will say from experience with making keycap sets that you can accidentally open up a can of worms asking people to help design a keycap set too much. While feedback is good, if you are really making a keyboard (such as now) and not a keycap set, you probably want to just stick with your gut for the most part  :thumb: Anything classy and simple will work, as they never seem to drive people away.

I had thought about that, and rather than completely designing a keycap set, I guess I was more looking for validation that the colors are good (colors people would like on a board) and which profile people would rather have, since I was originally going with SA until I found out that is not available until July and I am hoping to get GB going in like a month or so.  thanks for the advice!

I myself am leaning towards DCS, but if the majority wanted DSA, I am ok with that too.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:38:16 »

back & updating my previous post:
I like those keycaps & am interested in buying those with your complete project kit . My second question is, are you going to offer an additional keycap set like a reverse colorway? I don't want to do anything to drive up cost. Not only that, but I'm happy w/ you're keycap set as is. I'm in for this project, regardless. Whenever you have everything together, I'm buying it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:42:13 by William_S_Jones »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:57:36 »

I like those keycaps & am interested in buying those with your complete project kit . My second question is, are you going to offer an additional keycap set like a reverse colorway? I don't want to do anything to drive up cost. Not only that, but I'm happy w/ you're keycap set as is. I'm in for this project, regardless. Whenever you have everything together, I'm buying it.

awesome, thanks for input!  only going to be able to do one colorway and only if we get to 50 kits otherwise its quite a bit more, but if there is still interest even at a lower moq we can figure that out at gb time

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:20:18 »

awesome, thanks for input!  only going to be able to do one colorway and only if we get to 50 kits otherwise its quite a bit more, but if there is still interest even at a lower moq we can figure that out at gb time

That's great & I plan on being 1 of those buyers. Evangs, great job on this project.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 21:03:45 »
I'm interested in DCS, because I'm over DSA and SA.  They look cool, but not as efficient as DCS.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 21:23:03 »

I'm interested in DCS, because I'm over DSA and SA.  They look cool, but not as efficient as DCS.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline torafuma

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 12:34:13 »
Very interested if there are options for a top plate & case. Aluminum for the case would be fantastic!!! (Although, acrylic would be good too!)  :D

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 12:35:23 »

Very interested if there are options for a top plate & case. Aluminum for the case would be fantastic!!! (Although, acrylic would be good too!)  :D

I'm working on a custom aluminum case.  Designed it and now in process of talking to local manufacturers!

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 19:44:50 »

I'm working on a custom aluminum case.  Designed it and now in process of talking to local manufacturers!

I'm looking forward to this aluminum case!
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 22:38:02 by William_S_Jones »

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 19:45:45 »

I'm definitely looking forward to this aluminum case!
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 22:36:55 by William_S_Jones »

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 21:59:13 »

I'm definitely in with this information.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Re: [IC] TheVan 44 PCB + Kit
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 21:59:49 »

I'm definitely in with this information.

Good to hear!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Re: [IC] TheVan 44 PCB + Kit
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 23:02:12 »
had to download autodesk inventor trial and redraw parts so that I can get quotes, but got it all finished.  I can't wait to show you guys some progress.  hopefully my 3d printed version will be done soon.