Author Topic: [IC] Borg cube artisan?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Noon

[IC] Borg cube artisan?
« on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 05:06:14 »
Are there any artisan services that make an key cap in the form of a Borg cube? If so, who? And if not, would there be any interest in that? I'm guessing copyrighting might be an issue.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: [IC] Borg cube artisan?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 05:30:54 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I don't recall seeing a Borg cube keycaps, might be a neat idea!

As far as copyright goes, there are all sorts of keycaps made based on copyright images.

It is ultimately up to the copyright holder, but generally it seems that the big companies don't worry that much about a very limited fan-made replica.

If you started mass-producing them and/or charging a lot of money and/or trying to associate your product with the original concept (Star Trek series, in this case) then they would probably send you a C&D letter.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Noon

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 21:43:07 »
Thanks rowdy! That's some great information you've given me. I'm not sure I'd want to make artisans myself, but maybe once I move (get a garage and a workshop). In the meantime, are there any members that take custom orders?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 01:04:18 »
Not that I'm aware of.

Most artisans have their own unique style, and tend to stick to that.

It won't stop you asking around, but don't be discouraged if they say no :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 22:32:19 »
Resistance to buying it would be.....futile.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 23:17:28 »
I feel like suited up keycaps would be the best example of the borg cube with the legion keycap https://i.imgur.com/pkkWtfb.jpg

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 08:37:28 »
I remember reading somewhere that (I think) PBS (who owns Star Trek Copy righting) has made it very clear that anyone can use their IP as long as it's purely for fan appreciation, as long as you do not make profit they're fine with anyone using it.

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 09:32:27 »
I remember reading somewhere that (I think) PBS (who owns Star Trek Copy righting) has made it very clear that anyone can use their IP as long as it's purely for fan appreciation, as long as you do not make profit they're fine with anyone using it.
PBS seem like a very agreeable and rational network. I wouldn't doubt it's true. However, most media corporations allow usage of their works as long as it's not for profit.