Author Topic: Hello from Poland  (Read 3046 times)

Offline wilks

Hello from Poland
« on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:51:24 »
Hi,

I'm Wojtek - programmer from Poland. I've been hearing about mechanical keyboards for years (I might have used one in school ages ago), but recently started considering checking personally what's all that fuss about.
I enjoy discussions here, but so far its like blind man hearing about colours as my MS 4k seems to be just fine :)
Hoping to change that soon :D

Nice to be here! Cheers!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Re: Hello from Poland
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 15:18:58 »
Hi, I kind of miss my old ms 4k. Although, the click of the backwards/forwards buttons would drive me 'bananas'. Welcome to the topre forum!
Chris Schammert

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:33:56 »
Hi Wojtek, prepare yourself for a long journey through the world of mechanical keyboards  :thumb:

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:46:08 »
Hi Wojtek, prepare yourself for a long journey through the world of mechanical keyboards  :thumb:
Prepare your wallet*

Welcome! :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 06:16:43 »
I've had the MS4K myself. It was awesome while it lasted, but it wore out really quickly. Try some Topre... they are much better. The MS4k is relatively mushy and not tactile.

But I must admit that the curve and shape of the MS4K is difficult to beat, even today with mech key alternatives.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline wilks

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 11:49:06 »
Thanks for the welcome :)

Not sure if I'm ready to dive wallet-first into topre. Thinking of starting with MX Browns like the true newbie :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 18:39:39 »
Thanks for the welcome :)

Not sure if I'm ready to dive wallet-first into topre. Thinking of starting with MX Browns like the true newbie :)

Browns are a great way too start. But you will try Topre eventually anyway, that's just how it usually goes. And for a good reason: they are freakin' awesome! Give Topre some love. Your wallet will hate you, but you will reallly enjoy it. It's worth it. But Browns are safe and affordable.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 04:05:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how long we can continue to use any old membrane keyboard without realising that there is a whole world of mechanical keyboards just beyond the reach of our fingertips.

The problem is deciding which keyboard to get first.  And when you do decide, then deciding which one to get second, then third and so on.

Many people prefer MX browns, many say they feel like gritty reds.  Do you have strong fingers?  Perhaps browns will be too soft and you might prefer clears.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline wilks

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 09:22:23 »
I guess that the fact that I need a mechanical keyboard was overshadowed by the lack of decent second screen and workstation that would not feel glacial.
Hard to say what would be next workspace improvement, steelcase leap, remote-controlled nerfgun turret?

I think I'm not too heavy handed, but after years of hammering on rubber domes I could be wrong :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 20:09:05 »
At least you have the keyboard now.  It should last you through quite a few PC upgrades.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline wilks

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:26:19 »
After the short time with Browns I already regret delaying the purchase for so long. They are a little light though, tried clears for a few minutes and those are similar to what I am accustomed to in terms of actuation force.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:19:34 »
After the short time with Browns I already regret delaying the purchase for so long. They are a little light though, tried clears for a few minutes and those are similar to what I am accustomed to in terms of actuation force.

Tome to start looking for a second keyboard ;)

Offline wilks

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 05:01:13 »

Looks like it. I already tried to make my own wrist rest. Now I'm trying to decide upon switches for the next board, clears, topre, ... I wouldn't thought that mechanical keyboards get expensive after the purchase  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 03:45:41 »

Looks like it. I already tried to make my own wrist rest. Now I'm trying to decide upon switches for the next board, clears, topre, ... I wouldn't thought that mechanical keyboards get expensive after the purchase  :)

Ahahaha the first one seems like culture shock, paying $100+ for a keyboard when $10 rubber dome keyboards have sufficed before.  Then you find out that some Korean customs cost $500+, and that little $100 doesn't seem to bad.  So the second keyboard arrives.  Then someone says how great switch X is, so the third keyboard arrives.  Then you get a once in a lifetime deal on some vintage keyboards, and the fourth, fifth and sixth keyboards arrive.

Then you start to wonder if you have a problem, as you find yourself searching for the next one ...