Author Topic: Ergonomic Keyboard Club  (Read 6853 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Ergonomic Keyboard Club
« on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 13:22:05 »
We need to start an ergonomic keyboard club thread with pictures.  I am starting it now.  But I have no pictures right now. I will post pictures of mine when I get home.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2014, 15:06:12 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Re: Ergonomic Keyboard Club
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 16:55:31 »
We need to start an ergonomic keyboard club thread with pictures.  I am starting it now.  But I have no pictures right now. I will post pictures of mine when I get home.

The earlier forum form of GH had "groups" you could belong to (i.e.: Model F, and others). It may be a feature in the forum software.

For my own reasons, I thought it would be cool/helpful if everybody would check off on a form what input devices they had, then the info would be aggregated and searchable. You could contact some geek on the other side of the planed about what color screw was used on his  keyboard verses yours. (Yes, one of the dozen Kinesis Advantages I had, used 6 black screws instead of the usual silvery zinc colored screws, and yes, I contacted Kinesis about that, and yes, they pandered to my stupid question, and yes, I did not find out anything at all about it, and yes, I would like to know if anyone else has 6 black screws on their Kinesis Advantage).
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline hoggy

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 17:17:05 »
I'm up for this. 

What did you have in mind?

How about one thread for pictures/info and another for discussion?  We could keep the pictures/info thread short by updating our own posts with new photos.

Or we could have several threads - one thread per keyboard make/model - so several of these - and a 'central' thread for discussion.  The first post(s) in the central thread could link to all the others, and the first post in the specific threads could link to the 'central'.  I think this style should be easier to maintain and search through.

Happy to hear other ideas.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 17:23:31 »
I'm up for this. 

What did you have in mind?

How about one thread for pictures/info and another for discussion?  We could keep the pictures/info thread short by updating our own posts with new photos.

Or we could have several threads - one thread per keyboard make/model - so several of these - and a 'central' thread for discussion.  The first post(s) in the central thread could link to all the others, and the first post in the specific threads could link to the 'central'.  I think this style should be easier to maintain and search through.

Happy to hear other ideas.

Too many threads would get too confusing.  I would say two threads max.  I was just thinking how everybody has these "SSK clubs"  and "Kishsaver clubs", we just post pictures of our awesome ergo keyboards. 

Actually, doesn't Deskthority have a thread like that?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 17:31:44 »
Also, one ergo thread with all sorts of information would be very useful, something like what the Simple Questions, Simple Answers has morphed into.  Then if people have a question about a certain board, they could ask there or look through the list of already answered questions.

Of course, we would need a dedicated human encyclopedia to do this archiving, and I think CPTBadass and Daniel Beardsmore are already occupied with things to do.  I'm a little wary of committing myself to doing the archiving, because I have enough on my plate already.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 18:28:02 »
I've got a Chicony/Addison KB-7001 and a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. I wish I had good pictures of either...I will try and fix that later.

In the mean time, here's some pictures I'm borrowing from others:

From Xah Lee's blog

From Bestergonomickeyboard.net

Too many threads would get too confusing.  I would say two threads max.

I would agree with this.

Also, one ergo thread with all sorts of information would be very useful, something like what the Simple Questions, Simple Answers has morphed into.  Then if people have a question about a certain board, they could ask there or look through the list of already answered questions.

Of course, we would need a dedicated human encyclopedia to do this archiving, and I think CPTBadass and Daniel Beardsmore are already occupied with things to do.  I'm a little wary of committing myself to doing the archiving, because I have enough on my plate already.

Start it up then! Just like the Soldering Thread or the 3D Printer thread, you're more than welcome to start an ergo board thread. The team and I will step in if you ask or we feel it's a good time.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 15:09:36 »
Okay then,

Sorry about the rubbish photo.

This is a Ergonomixx Mykey.  Hasn't been made for a long time.  Can't really comment on how comfortable it is as the switches (MEI) are ghastly - very, very stiff.  I'm hoping it's an age related problem, otherwise I can see (feel) why they didn't catch on.  I like the idea of the function keys in a circle with the cursor keys in the middle, it seems to be an intuitive way of laying them out.

Underneath, it has 4 legs, so it can be tilted negatively (slopes down away from the user rather than up away from the user).
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 12:10:22 »
Hoggy what was that circular array of buttons on the right left used for?
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2014, 12:28:41 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 12:27:48 »
Hoggy what was that circular array of buttons on the right used for?

If you mean the set on the LEFT ;)
Arrows and function keys as far as I can make out.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 12:28:19 »
Stupid English, why are you so hard. :(

You're right of course Oobly.