Author Topic: Any available hot-swap TKL to buy now?  (Read 6393 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Any available hot-swap TKL to buy now?
« on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 19:13:50 »
I'm looking for a TKL keyboard, hot-swap to buy now. Not via GB and wait for 6 months or so.
Excluding GMMK and DROP CTRL keyboards or any low profile.

Is there any option left?
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 10:16:00 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Any available hot-swap TKL to buy now?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 03:37:04 »
Keychron?

Anyone else find it strange that we seem to have more good switch options than good keyboard options these days?

Anyhow,
The problem right now is not lack of options but also inventory, there is none. Until big guys embrace hot swap it will remain that way, at the same time don't expect the old guard to stick around if they don't adapt. I've been vocal about my dislike of hotswap (due to implementation, not the idea) but the general public doesn't have that reservation. And at the speeds the keyboard industry adopts new tech, they better already be working on it. Look how long RGB and Type-C took to become the norm.

I still say don't spend a lot on hotswap.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 06:08:07 »
Keychron?

Anyone else find it strange that we seem to have more good switch options than good keyboard options these days?

Anyhow,
The problem right now is not lack of options but also inventory, there is none. Until big guys embrace hot swap it will remain that way, at the same time don't expect the old guard to stick around if they don't adapt. I've been vocal about my dislike of hotswap (due to implementation, not the idea) but the general public doesn't have that reservation. And at the speeds the keyboard industry adopts new tech, they better already be working on it. Look how long RGB and Type-C took to become the norm.

I still say don't spend a lot on hotswap.

Keychron K8 looks weird, low profile with bezel  :rolleyes:
But I guess it is an option.

Yeah, its lack of everything really. I still don't understand why there is only GMK who produces those Cherry caps and other companies just produce mediocre supplements...

I really want to buy this Korean keyboard - HANSUNG TFG Art, but problem is that US Amazon won't deliver to UK :(

Only way to do it is to have someone in US to buy it for me and post to me.

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 06:23:33 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 06:53:54 »

Yeah, its lack of everything really. I still don't understand why there is only GMK who produces those Cherry caps and other companies just produce mediocre supplements...
Keep in mind the Keychron is TALL (34mm to top of keycap), that's 7-8mm taller than a GMMK and the aluminum "case" on the Keychron is just a skin. I don't really see much point of that over the GMMK unless you want the wireless functionality.

It's not that no one else can do nice doubleshots it's that they just don't want to, there's not enough money in it to justify the costs.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 07:09:06 »

Keep in mind the Keychron is TALL (34mm to top of keycap), that's 7-8mm taller than a GMMK and the aluminum "case" on the Keychron is just a skin. I don't really see much point of that over the GMMK unless you want the wireless functionality.
Yeah, that is why i don't like GMMK, Keychron and other low profile keyboards.

It's not that no one else can do nice doubleshots it's that they just don't want to, there's not enough money in it to justify the costs.

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 09:19:02 »
KPrepublic's XD87 HS kit:

https://kprepublic.com/products/hot-swappable-xd87-hs-xd87-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit80-supports-tkg-tools-support-underglow-rgb-pcb-programmed-gh80-kle?_pos=2&_sid=d056fc27f&_ss=r

i know this one, but read that people had to wait 4-5 months before they got their keyboards, apparently it takes time to deliver to other parts of the world.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 09:31:07 »
Did you have a look at Womier 87?
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline walie

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 10:06:35 »
Did you get rid of your u80

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 10:27:00 »
Did you have a look at Womier 87?

Yes, I had, ugly :)

Did you get rid of your u80

Nope, using with Glorious Holy Pandas:)

I'm a TKL addict:)

Offline phinix

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 11:20:59 »
I think best way is to find someone - proxy - to buy it for me in US and post to me to UK....

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 19:58:07 »
The Rakk Lam Ang Pro. It's basically equivalent in functionality to a Drop CTRL, but costs about $60 + shipping.

You can get an unbranded variant from AliExpress, when I checked last month.

You can also order an unbranded variant with all the bells and whistles [dampening foam, extra covers, sample switches] from AliBaba.com

I have one on the way now.

EDIT: Oh, the Rakk Lam Ang is kind of low-profile, so I guess it won't fit your requirements. That's too bad, I think it looks alright with tall keycaps and any keycaps, really.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2020, 20:00:52 by HungerMechanic »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 20:05:43 »

https://kprepublic.com/products/hot-swappable-xd87-hs-xd87-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit80-supports-tkg-tools-support-underglow-rgb-pcb-programmed-gh80-kle?_pos=2&_sid=d056fc27f&_ss=r

I was looking at this one because of the afordable price. Any opinions?

I don't know about how well the hotswap version functions, but I have seen other people purchasing and assembling them, and they seem to be doing okay for now.

I recently acquired a regular soldered XD87. What did you want to know? I find that in terms of build quality, it kind of superficially feels like a Leopold. The ABS case isn't that much different in heft. It also has a really heavy plate, like Leopold and Varmilo. Also, the Caps Lock lights up in similar fashion to Leopold.

However, this is where the similarities end. The XD87 has the switches facing upside-down, so there will be interference with Cherry-profile keycaps on some rows, especially if you are using LEDs. My XD87 has ART Box switches, which allieviate this problem somewhat, so I can use Cherry-profile. This is the largest difference between the XD87 and a high-end prebuilt like the Leopold.

The XD87 has a detacheable cable, USB-C. I had to get new cables because of the USB-C boards that are coming out. There are Everglide C3 V2 stabilizers on mine, and they are excellent for the price. Really great. Definitely recommend using these on the XD87 if they are compatible.

Offline unchicoyeye

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 08:11:56 »

I was looking at this one because of the afordable price. Any opinions?

I don't know about how well the hotswap version functions, but I have seen other people purchasing and assembling them, and they seem to be doing okay for now.

I recently acquired a regular soldered XD87. What did you want to know? I find that in terms of build quality, it kind of superficially feels like a Leopold. The ABS case isn't that much different in heft. It also has a really heavy plate, like Leopold and Varmilo. Also, the Caps Lock lights up in similar fashion to Leopold.

However, this is where the similarities end. The XD87 has the switches facing upside-down, so there will be interference with Cherry-profile keycaps on some rows, especially if you are using LEDs. My XD87 has ART Box switches, which allieviate this problem somewhat, so I can use Cherry-profile. This is the largest difference between the XD87 and a high-end prebuilt like the Leopold.

The XD87 has a detacheable cable, USB-C. I had to get new cables because of the USB-C boards that are coming out. There are Everglide C3 V2 stabilizers on mine, and they are excellent for the price. Really great. Definitely recommend using these on the XD87 if they are compatible.

I'm quite interested in the XD87 (HS version), do you know if the FN key can be remapped in the soldered version? (I guess the Hot Swap would work the same?)

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:08:15 »
I've been vocal about my dislike of hotswap (due to implementation, not the idea) [...] I still say don't spend a lot on hotswap.

Would you mind summarizing the reasons for your dislike of hotswap¿ I tried to look at your posts, but got distracted by several of them and thus didn't get far enough to find anything about hotswap...

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 16:33:11 »
I ended up with IDOBAO ID87.
This is amazing aluminium, hot swap TKL, which looks and feels great.
It is better than Drop CTRL. I would even say it sounds better than Rama U80 :)
Its available straight away. I bought it with Idobao silencing foam that goes between plate and pcb.
Then I added some foam inside the case, so it sounds amazing with Glorious holy pandas.
For £180 its amazing.

« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2020, 16:34:45 by phinix »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 20:36:58 »
Would you mind summarizing the reasons for your dislike of hotswap¿ I tried to look at your posts, but got distracted by several of them and thus didn't get far enough to find anything about hotswap...
We have a whole thread about:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104777.0

Basically a short lifespan, can very easily destroy a PCB or switch, it doubles the failure points and it's a cold connection that can fail just from vibration.
I'm not completely opposed to them (I have 3), just understand it will probably not be as reliable or live as long as something soldered and you should keep that in mind when budgeting for it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 10:38:45 »
Thanks, I'll have a look. Too bad I just ordered one, though. But I don't intend to swap the switches around, I didn't buy it for that.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 15:16:37 »
Since this thread is still going, I thought I should mention I received an unbranded Rakk Lam Ang Pro from Alibaba the other day.

It's actually pretty nice. The switch LEDs are north-facing, which I don't approve of. But all the features work, and it's slick for $50 + $35-50  shipping.

It has similar features to the Drop CTRL, but costs about half as much.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 16:27:19 »

I got a pair of TKL GMMK this past week.  I don't know what switch I'll prefer yet, and the one I prefer might not even have been born yet.  ;)  If some day I ever decide I'm satisfied with something I may build a DIY kit.