Riotonthebay's No.1 TKL
17 (31.5%)
E3E's Hotswappable Alps Mira
26 (48.1%)
Coumbaya's 3D printed split 60%
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: Mon, 17 July 2017, 08:22:24

Author Topic: Keyboard of the Month - June - Vote  (Read 10461 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
Keyboard of the Month - June - Vote
« on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 08:22:24 »
Happy Monday everyone and welcome to June's Keyboard of the Month vote thread for June!

We had a few boards that were ineligible this month, which I should really keep on top of! Must do better! We did have some really amazing ones nominated this month however, and the top three are:[/b]

Riotonthebay's No. 1 TKL Prototype

The original thread can be found here

Next up is E3E's Hotswappable Alps Mira

Extensive build thread is here

Finally we have Coumbaya's 3D printed split 60% board

Build log is here

The poll will last for seven days as usual! Good luck!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Keyboard of the Month - June - Vote
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 21:16:51 »
That split 60% made me reconsider my 1st place choice for a minute
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 21:41:02 »
Didn't take long to decide this time :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 00:43:59 »
palms sweaty
I love Elzy

Offline Riu

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 01:40:08 »
You can't go wrong with red.

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 01:44:57 »
voted for riots board  ^-^

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 03:52:11 »
I see split, I vote. This month's decision was easy. ;)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 03:57:56 »
Despite the roughness of the print the pleasant design and keycap choice won me on the split board.

I could see it having a nice wireless version.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 July 2017, 04:02:20 by Coreda »

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 05:25:42 »
This one was though

Offline richfiles

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 19:07:57 »
Todays vote brought to you purely by the sound of a key being pressed on an Alps switch... Boy do I know the sound (and therefore the FEEEEEEEEL) of those lovely, lovely Alps switches anywhere! I got a keyboard full of (non striped) Alps SKCM Ambers myself, and simply CAN NOT WAIT to finish my current keyboard build and get started on IT!!! ;D

So what exactly is the difference between Alps SKCM Amber and your unobtanium Striped Amber? Sounds like you mentioned yours are linear, instead of clicky? I'll personally stickk to the clickk (SKCM Ambers are my favorite switch of all time  :thumb: ). Clicky is the funnest part! :p

Regardless, I gotta give props to one dank Alps fingerpleaser!  :cool:
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 July 2017, 20:35:53 by richfiles »
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 21:49:03 »
ooog yea, voted.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 00:17:43 »
guess ya'll are putting me into retirement
I love Elzy

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 01:42:49 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 03:54:08 »
Todays vote brought to you purely by the sound of a key being pressed on an Alps switch... Boy do I know the sound (and therefore the FEEEEEEEEL) of those lovely, lovely Alps switches anywhere! I got a keyboard full of (non striped) Alps SKCM Ambers myself, and simply CAN NOT WAIT to finish my current keyboard build and get started on IT!!! ;D

So what exactly is the difference between Alps SKCM Amber and your unobtanium Striped Amber? Sounds like you mentioned yours are linear, instead of clicky? I'll personally stickk to the clickk (SKCM Ambers are my favorite switch of all time  :thumb: ). Clicky is the funnest part! :p

Regardless, I gotta give props to one dank Alps fingerpleaser!  :cool:

Oh yeah, that's one of my favorite aspects of Alps, the sound, especially with some quality caps and a good case (and dampening if need be). Striped Ambers are weighted at 55g when bottomed out, so it's a unique weight for Alps, where Alps SKCL Greens are around 52g, and then you have SKCL Brown and Cream at 70g, but with different springs, so the feel is different between them. Alps SKCL Yellows bottom out at 60g.

So it's not too far off from other weights, but it's just a sweet spot for my tastes, and it has just the right amount of cushion to the travel. Good luck on your build! I actually have a reserve of SKCM Ambers for the Mira if I ever want to switch up what I've got in it! So far, I'm in love with the S. Ambers though. :)

Offline richfiles

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 07:40:05 »

We'll miss that smug mug for the whole day you'll be gone... You know you could never leave!  :p
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 11:49:31 »
Goddamn this one was tough  :eek:
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 12:11:38 »
Tough vote but I've made my decision. :thumb:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 15:00:04 »
Well fought, congrats E3E!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline E3E

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 18:29:52 »
Thanks! This month was pretty awesome in terms of boards, definitely not a boring one (can't say I wasn't nervous either). :) 

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 20:43:29 »
gg
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:43:10 »
Congrats E3E :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 09:40:00 »
Can't believe I forgot to vote.......  :-X School life caught up, I guess. Anyway, congrats to E3E and his lovely Mira :D
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear