Author Topic: MacOS Key Binding software  (Read 3400 times)

Offline knightjp

MacOS Key Binding software
« on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 09:28:28 »
Hey there.
Just got my brother an original IBM Model M. But he is having trouble adjusting without the Command Key and stuff. What is the best keybinding software for MacOS?

Offline 8idl

Re: MacOS Key Binding software
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 19:34:36 »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 22:15:30 »
You can change the modifiers, but beware trying to do much else, remapping Mac keys is a complete and utterly frustrating joke for the last several versions.

Certain keys, while they can be remapped is inconsistent, so for example a remapped key may work in Firefox of Chrome, it will revert to stock in a Finder window (they're hard coded). So you never know what it will or will not do.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline knightjp

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 00:08:16 »
I came across this link..
https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org/

But I wanted to know if there was something more commonly used. I cannot find much mention for Karabiner via Google.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 00:19:12 »

But I wanted to know if there was something more commonly used. I cannot find much mention for Karabiner via Google.
Nope, that's pretty much the gold standard and it will have the issues I described, it's a limitation of the OS. El Capitan was the last time you could truly remap all keys.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 01:24:37 »

Nope, that's pretty much the gold standard and it will have the issues I described, it's a limitation of the OS. El Capitan was the last time you could truly remap all keys.

What a joke. How Apple gets any sales at all never ceases to amaze me.

knightjp, I imagine you also got some sort of USB converter? Apple always has to be the interface hipsters and remove everything that makes any sense to have, so I doubt he's using ps2. If the converter is running Soarer's firmware or Hasu's TMK, you could remap everything on the converter's end and be done with it for good if it is sticking to a single OS.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 04:58:07 »
For non-techies, most of Apple's image is from when Jobs still ran it, the magic is certainly gone.

For techies, a few still rely on Apple, but for the most part most normal power users have moved on. Some went to Hackintosh but quite a few switched to Surface Tablets, neither of which is a good solution in my book. All these professionals buying the new Mac pro are basically just prolonging the inevitable (Stockhold Syndrome).

While it may seem like an abusive relationship the same could easily be said about Microsoft Windows, Android and *shudder* IOS.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 09:25:00 »
For non-techies, most of Apple's image is from when Jobs still ran it, the magic is certainly gone.

For techies, a few still rely on Apple, but for the most part most normal power users have moved on. Some went to Hackintosh but quite a few switched to Surface Tablets, neither of which is a good solution in my book. All these professionals buying the new Mac pro are basically just prolonging the inevitable (Stockhold Syndrome).

While it may seem like an abusive relationship the same could easily be said about Microsoft Windows, Android and *shudder* IOS.

I never liked that company, with or without Jobs. They had a performance advantage in the PowerPC days, but I don't know that even then that that justified the difference in cost, and the inherent limitations of their platforms. Most of the software is available on other platforms, what isn't, do people really necessarily need it vs alternatives? Maybe, maybe not.

Android is at least relatively open to modification, with a wide array of useful settings ... I suppose Windows is less so than it used to be, but I'll still take it all day every day over MacOS/OSX. I think I would even take Vista or 8 over MacOS/OSX.

To each their own.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 20:34:42 »
I never liked that company, with or without Jobs. They had a performance advantage in the PowerPC days, but I don't know that even then that that justified the difference in cost, and the inherent limitations of their platforms. Most of the software is available on other platforms, what isn't, do people really necessarily need it vs alternatives? Maybe, maybe not.

Android is at least relatively open to modification, with a wide array of useful settings ... I suppose Windows is less so than it used to be, but I'll still take it all day every day over MacOS/OSX. I think I would even take Vista or 8 over MacOS/OSX.
I always think the whole pc vs power pc was a farce.
Sorry, I know people lived and died for it but I would bet most people wouldn't have known what cpu they were using in a blind test. Same for ARM today, given proper ARM software.

Android is a f'ing disaster of epic proportions. It's a rudderless ship with 50 captains shouting orders at no one on where to go.
I use Windows Linux and Mac on a daily basis, honestly, Mac and Windows have more in common than differences and both have you locked into an abusive relationship.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 21:49:53 »

I always think the whole pc vs power pc was a farce.
Sorry, I know people lived and died for it but I would bet most people wouldn't have known what cpu they were using in a blind test. Same for ARM today, given proper ARM software.

Android is a f'ing disaster of epic proportions. It's a rudderless ship with 50 captains shouting orders at no one on where to go.
I use Windows Linux and Mac on a daily basis, honestly, Mac and Windows have more in common than differences and both have you locked into an abusive relationship.

Most people that didn't know what they were experiencing, sure. I imagine so.

I can't disagree on Android, lol. That's a great way of putting it.

I can run Windows of just about any flavor on just about anything I can find functional drivers for (most things that don't belong in the Smithsonian) and take my pick from countless useful free programs to install on it. This is the case even of installing stripped-down versions on systems that don't come remotely close to even meeting the official minimum requirements ... and some of those systems can still even run quite well in spite of this. It isn't Linux, in that regard, of course, but it isn't bad there. 10 has its stupid quirks, but it isn't going to just decide to cut off important feature updates and hardware support while that hardware is still very much viable based solely on an arbitrary model/firmware revision number and/or whatever brand or category of hardware they care most about in the past 5 minutes. It doesn't force you into some entirely backwards, restrictive, proprietary brand-specific ecosystem in regards to those features, interfaces, file transfers, etc, either. M$ is more like, "Here, take this garbage web browser. We probably made it a little better ... maybe." And you can go, "nah, no thanks." instead of Apple going, "Behold, this is the one true way to do everything ... until it no longer is tomorrow, in which case we'll no longer support that either. Buy our dongles, adapters, and new hardware due to planned obsolescence instead of natural aging and/or preference/need. By all means though, since we don't care about what you value, you can choose to get by with much preferable/more useful hardware that we've kneecapped the software on because you paid us 2-3x its real value too many years ago to satisfy our greed."

I hate M$, I do. I hate Apple so much more. I hate Nintendo for the same reasons that I hate Apple. I also hate Google, but Google at least doesn't seem to care about anything you do with their stuff so long as they can keep selling ever more data en masse.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 07:28:31 »
10 has its stupid quirks, but it isn't going to just decide to cut off important feature updates and hardware support while that hardware is still very much viable based solely on an arbitrary model/firmware revision number and/or whatever brand or category of hardware they care most about in the past 5 minutes. It doesn't force you into some entirely backwards, restrictive, proprietary brand-specific ecosystem in regards to those features, interfaces, file transfers, etc, either. M$ is more like, "Here, take this garbage web browser. We probably made it a little better ... maybe." And you can go, "nah, no thanks." instead of Apple going, "Behold, this is the one true way to do everything ... until it no longer is tomorrow, in which case we'll no longer support that either. Buy our dongles, adapters, and new hardware due to planned obsolescence instead of natural aging and/or preference/need. By all means though, since we don't care about what you value, you can choose to get by with much preferable/more useful hardware that we've kneecapped the software on because you paid us 2-3x its real value too many years ago to satisfy our greed."

I hate M$, I do. I hate Apple so much more. I hate Nintendo for the same reasons that I hate Apple. I also hate Google, but Google at least doesn't seem to care about anything you do with their stuff so long as they can keep selling ever more data en masse.
It's not a fair comparison, Apple is a hardware company, MS is a software company, but you are still very much locked in and they are trying to lock you in further.

Windows RT and Windows 10S were both attempts to lock you into the MS store.
This initiative is not done yet, Win10 is slowly morphing into software as a service (SAS) and you can be darn sure they will continue to push you into vendor lock in through that. What do you think the purpose of pushing online accounts for Windows? It locks you into them, now they have email and OS, and as it pushed further into SAS territory you can renew your Windows license and 365 license all through the store using that online account. By the way, how about a new Surface Tablet, we notices your using an older model.

Did you forget about the forced update to Win10 or how you can no longer install Win7 or 8 on newer motherboards? It works fine, they just don't want you doing it. There was also the fake/cloned Texas Instruments usb2serial chip, MS and T.I. pushed a driver update that locked out any fake chips. Millions of GPS, serial adapters, IOT devices, 3d printers, 2d printers, arduinos, keyboards, vinyl cutters, laser cutters, cnc mills, plasma cutters, all shut down. In many cases companies had bought fake chips unknowingly, sometimes they were even mixed in with real chips, even when bought from authorized distributors. MS and TI both knew exactly what would happen, they just did it anyway. It was only after massive public outcry they reversed this decision and rolled back the driver.

I can give you a huge list of others.
Intel 855 drivers (blocked like Win7 and 8 on newer chips), locking the bios of Surface Rt (to block Linux and ARM development), wifi error code 10 (had this happen within 20 minutes of of the box), but if you want to know what the biggest piece of vendor lock in from MS is, it's not Windows or even gaming (they don't control enough of that), it's MS Office. "But you can get Office on Mac and phones", that's very true, but Windows and Mac exists today because of Office. When Steve Jobs heard Ms was making an OS and threatened to sue, MS simply told him they would stop making Office for Mac, pulling MS Office back then, same as today, would destroy Mac. Office is a big money maker, possibly bigger than Windows itself, almost every office uses it. All MS has to do is pull the plug on the Mac version and overnight Macs users would come running for PCs the next morning, Apple and MS knows this. So why not put it on Linux and really take over? There's talk of it.

Apple considers itself a hardware company (even though most of their profit is through the app store). Microsoft considers itself a software company, give them full control over hardware and yes, they will do the same thing Apple does, they did it to Surface RT. Both companies are equally as predatory they just have different methods of going about it because of their "core businesses" are different. The weird part about how they view themselves is that MS doesn't actually need Windows anymore just as Apple doesn't need Mac or MacOS, I've said it before that I wonder how much longer Mac will be around. They have an IOS based "laptop" and now the computers are switching to ARM, it's not a stretch to see the two merge. Apple says they won't but they also never comment on future products and technologies and they have to say that to protect Mac sales, they'll continue to say that until the moment they decide to pull that plug.

Boy did this go off topic. Sorry, knightjp, I hope you got what you were after.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:07:50 »
Boy did this go off topic. Sorry, knightjp, I hope you got what you were after.

Yup. I'll summarize briefly here and take it to PM. I wholeheartedly agree with most of what you said, and much of it was actually the point of my post. I still have far more freedom with my hardware with Windows, and copious amounts of free software, and it costs me a big fat $0 at the end of the day, outside of modest third party individual hardware purchases vs the Apple tax. M$ sucks majorly, it just sucks a lot less.

I do think changing the mapping of the converter (if it is something programmable) would probably be the least irritating solution in the long run.

Offline Scottw

• ScottW's Boards
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 15:17:25 »
As others have mentioned, karabiner is quite good and free.

I personally prefer BetterTouchTool. It is much easier to use and allows you to customize trackpads, mouse, and more. It does cost $9.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 15:40:35 »
Hey there.
Just got my brother an original IBM Model M. But he is having trouble adjusting without the Command Key and stuff. What is the best keybinding software for MacOS?

There is a hardware solution to this, but it's expensive. https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB4ZPHA

Basically, just buy him a Mac Model M and take the IBM one back for yourself. :P.