Author Topic: Cherry MX Reds/Clears  (Read 27083 times)

Offline marvkip

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 20:22:04 »
It seems like most of the people on these forums that have tried reds and clears really like them. So why are there so few keyboards that have them?

Offline Khaotik55

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 20:39:06 »
Well I was the latest recipient of the STN (Switch Try Numpad) and I think reds are great, but the clears just suck to me.

The browns and clears have this...real bump built onto the switch which makes it feel (IN MY OPINION) cheap.

The blue switch has this complex little mechanism that provides a WAY more precise tactile bump. To be honest it's really nothing but personal preference... but I can't fathom why companies aren't choosing Cherry reds. They're linear like blacks but as soft as a brown, I love em'.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2011, 20:44:07 by Khaotik55 »

Offline CephalicCarnage

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 22:45:39 »
:clap2:  Excellent job populating Google image search results with good stuff!
Filco Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Blue), Leopold Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Brown), Leopold Tenkeyless (Blue), Goldtouch GTC-0077 Numeric Pad (Brown)
In the mail: HHKB Pro2 White/Gray

WTB: G80-8113HRBUS-2 with Clear switches

Offline audioave10

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 22:55:12 »
Ripster, I think you've touched my heart.

Cowabunga!

I'd still like to try the Reds.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline Mr. Perfect

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 23:08:26 »
Quote from: ripster;337293
Show Image

That picture is an excellent representation of the Clear switch's tactile bump.

Here's one for Reds. Appropriately captioned too!

Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline Lpb45

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 14:43:04 »
probly because they are rare
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline Shazb0t

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 14:55:24 »
Quote from: Lpb45;337637
probly because they are rare

I can't speak for clears but reds are the real deal if you like blacks but wish they weren't as stiff.
Filco Tenkeyless Linear-R | SS 6Gv2 | Compaq mx11800

Offline Magna224

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 16:55:56 »
I ordered 2 random cherry keyboards off of ebay and both had clears. So I don't think they are that rare.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline didjamatic

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 17:09:45 »
Clears are less common than browns, blues, blacks.  Reds are new.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 17:22:38 »
Quote from: marvkip;337251
It seems like most of the people on these forums that have tried reds and clears really like them. So why are there so few keyboards that have them?

Clears with a softer spring are surely the best cherry switches, haven't tried the reds, because I don't like the linear switches.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 18:38:21 »
Reds are definitely a nice switch but Cherry MX "Ergo" Clears tops them all in my book!

Offline Curetia

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 02:07:57 »
Quote from: didjamatic;337719
Clears are less common than browns, blues, blacks.  Reds are new.
Yeah need this too but I'm not so handy with a soldering iron :(

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 06:25:56 »
One of the best things about Cherry MX "Ergo" Clears is that on a PCB-mounted switch keyboard, you can create them without soldering.

Offline CephalicCarnage

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 07:42:30 »
My future Poker will likely be outfitted with your Cherry MX "Ergo" Clears for a bit so I can try them for myself.
Filco Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Blue), Leopold Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Brown), Leopold Tenkeyless (Blue), Goldtouch GTC-0077 Numeric Pad (Brown)

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 07:45:16 »
Nice! Looking forward to seeing what you think of them!

Offline CephalicCarnage

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 07:52:10 »
While I plan on it, don't be holding your breath!  No Poker yet, and I still need to shop for a donor board for clears :)  You definitely have me interested in trying them out though.

Offline Cata1yst

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 17:09:00 »
well keep in mind theres 2 ergo clears, one with the black spring and one with the brown/blue/red spring

Im curious about the ripometer on both...

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 19:17:11 »
Beige switches/Ergo clears  über alles :-)
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 19:23:13 »
Frankly I think these guys are on crack.

White stem + black spring is just a pointless mod, the black's spring is too close to the white's one to make sense.

BTW strictly speaking, yes there are two kind of mod possible on white switches, although the one with the black spring can't be called "ergo" in any way.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2011, 19:26:17 by The Solutor »

Offline Nadger

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 19:59:06 »
see KL? ripsters penis is bigger than yours!

I really want to try ergo clears.  I like browns a lot but prefer a bit more tactile feeling, and clears themselves i find too stiff.  So this sounds right up my alley.  But sadly, no tenkeyless clears exist that i know of =(
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 20:00:38 »
Actually the feeling didn't impress me when I modded one switch either. It wasn't until I modded my entire homerow that I realized I was completely and utterly hooked on that switch.

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 20:11:31 »
Quote from: ripster;338357
White stem + brown/blue/red spring I did EONS ago.

I wasn't impressed.  See the Nostromo N52 link in my sig.
Show Image

Being my penis bigger than yours whatever keyboard we like.  :happy:

And being a fact that Italians do it better. :first:

What keyboard / switch / stem/ combination/ whatever you like more ? (seriously)

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 21:02:30 »
Quote from: The Solutor
And being a fact that Italians do it better. :first:

Normally, I would agree with you. But that was before I saw Panda-R's Chinese bamboo.

CANNOT be unseen!!!

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 21:09:45 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;338418
Normally, I would agree with you. But that was before I saw Panda-R's Chinese bamboo.

CANNOT be unseen!!!

Hahahaha

But what about the ripster's one ?

We need a caliper ?
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2011, 21:12:14 by The Solutor »

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 21:26:13 »
Ripster's can only be measured using his OWN homemade device (convenient, eh?)

It's called the "RipOMeter". It consists of putting his pee pee on a drug scale and stacking Canadian nickels on top of it.

Don't ask me how it works!

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 21:36:06 »
BTW we have an official word

Offline mtl

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 22:04:20 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;338380
Actually the feeling didn't impress me when I modded one switch either. It wasn't until I modded my entire homerow that I realized I was completely and utterly hooked on that switch.
This. I was skeptical at first, but tried two keyboards side-by-side (ergo clear, straight clear) and the ergos won hands down. For me, standard clears are too stiff, especially on the pinkies.
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline CephalicCarnage

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 23:53:19 »
Okay, all this talk is getting me excited to try this soon.  Still don't have a board with clear switches though.

Which model numbers should I be watching for if I plan on buying used?  G80-8113HRBUS? Bonus  of double shots with that one too eh?  Any other model numbers to watch for?

Quote from: ripster;338357
White stem + brown/blue/red spring I did EONS ago.

I wasn't impressed.  See the Nostromo N52 link in my sig.
Show Image

Ahh yes, that reminds me that I have a N52 laying around somewhere that I  think I'd like to mod over the summer if I get a chance.  Will be an  adventure since I've never really worked with soldering electronics  before.  In fact, I think the soldering gun I have may be too big for  such a job.

I'm going to have my nose buried in the Wiki section here while I attempt this I think.

Offline Cata1yst

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 00:02:52 »
well AFAIK the only person that has tried both ergo clears  is MTL in his thread here. http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:16351

He didnt seem too impressed by the clear ergo lite, and based on what ripster and a few other peeps, posted awhile back, a clear with a brown spring is kinda just like a minor improvement brown.

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 08:15:44 »
Quote from: Cata1yst;338504
He didnt seem too impressed by the clear ergo lite, and based on what ripster and a few other peeps, posted awhile back, a clear with a brown spring is kinda just like a minor improvement brown.

That statement could not be further from the truth. Browns are completely boring in comparison.

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 08:43:06 »
Who me? When did I do that?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 12:25:56 »
Quote from: ripster;338705
Pee pee?

Haha, I think your hotlink got 'pee peed' :-)
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline mtl

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 18:27:14 »
Quote from: Cata1yst;338504
well AFAIK the only person that has tried both ergo clears  is MTL in his thread here. http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:16351

The biggest problem I have with browns is the springs are too weak. So clears with brown springs didn't impress me.  But if you think browns and reds are just the right weight for you and you want a more tactile response, then the lite ergo clears may be your switch.

In my testing, the lite ergo clears had a mild problem getting the key to reset after being pressed, almost like the spring sometimes isn't strong enough to get over the clear stem tactile bump. Not sure if this ever occurs when typing at speed, but testing keys individually it was noticeable.  Maybe someone else with more experience with these switches can comment on it.
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 18:33:45 »
In my experience, that doesn't happen often and when it does, it rights itself very quickly (after a second or less).

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 18:38:45 »
The biggest problem I have with browns is the springs are too weak. So clears with brown springs didn't impress me. But if you think browns and reds are just the right weight for you and you want a more tactile response, then the lite ergo clears may be your switch.

The standard clear spring is so strong that hide the more tactile profile of the clear switch.

All in all a default clear is something like a stiffer brown: a switch with an almost unnoticeable tactile feeling, just stronger to press.

Instead the beige switch is soft but with a definite tactile point, more similar to an hypothetical silent blue than a plain brown or clear switch.

I just suggest to try them in a functional keyboard, because just test a single sample key is not enough to appreciate them.

Offline Cata1yst

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 19:09:23 »
Im so confuzzled... if someone could ripometer both id be eternally grateful.

Im tempted to just go buy a ducky off of PC home and call it a day and not make a gamble on a black board and a cheap clear donor board combo.

Offline BucklingSpring

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:14:45 »
Quote from: ripster;338705
Pee pee?
(Attachment Link) 17727[/ATTACH]

Is this your hard cup jockstrap?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:18:20 »
I was told once clear were not "standard" and were harder to get mass production from Cherry.
Whatever it means.

That's why folks on the Deck's forum were questionning the choice of MX Clear when Deck decided to go tactile.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:20:01 »

Im so confuzzled... if someone could ripometer both id be eternally grateful.

Cherry switches are so uneven, and the actuation force is so depending on the force direction that ripometering them is almost a pointless operation.

Then you must add that on a baklit keyboard like mine the swithces are rotated by 180 degree respect the average cherry KB.

BTW the activation point for a beige switch is somewhere between 50 and 55g, more or less the same result of a blue switch.

I don't have handy any black spring to tell about this kind of combo but I think should be slightly above 60g

Offline BucklingSpring

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:20:12 »
Quote from: ripster;338924
Interesting.  The attachment click to enlarge works out of a quote, but not the original post.

Wow you're right. Pride gets bigger when clicked :-)

Weird indeed.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:26:04 »
Quote from: ripster;338929
I think the click to enlarge bug happens if there are multiple attachments on THE SAME PAGE.

See - unlike these jokers who can't figure out how to count up nickels I'm pretty technical.

LoL - Not to mention your ability to stack them in piles. Your science make the antic Egyptians to look like ants.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:33:12 »
Quote from: ripster;338933
(Attachment Link) 17742[/ATTACH]

Treadcrap test
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline bionicroach

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:33:53 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;338926
I was told once clear were not "standard" and were harder to get mass production from Cherry.
Whatever it means.

That's why folks on the Deck's forum were questionning the choice of MX Clear when Deck decided to go tactile.

What's also weird about that is I talked to a guy at Deck repair on the phone the other day and when I asked why they don't offer Browns as an option, he said they'd like to but that they're too hard to get for some reason.  Kinesis, Das, and Filco seem to have no problem supplying them, so that made no sense to me.

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:34:46 »
Not to mention your ability to stack them in piles.

He is the n1 on every unuseful activity...

We have all to learn a lot :playball:

Offline BucklingSpring

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:46:27 »
Quote from: The Solutor;338942
He is the n1 on every unuseful activity...

We have all to learn a lot :playball:

Well, I thought the Nickel thing was kind of cool.
Ripster also figured out that Lego models never say no. Sorta useful.

Can't say the same for the Trackball race though. I haven't figure that one out yet.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:55:21 »
Well, I thought the Nickel thing was kind of cool.

Actually two cool things.

Seeing an American that measure something with an SI unit is priceless.

Discovering that an US coin has an exact weight in grams is even more surprising...:smokin:

BTW I use the 6g weights from the RAT mouse + some eurocent tiny coin to fine tune the measure.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 April 2011, 20:58:23 by The Solutor »

Offline BucklingSpring

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 21:00:38 »
Quote from: ripster;338950
Didn't expect you would.

:rain:

Do red (linear) also get mushier over time or it's only the tactile who has that problem?
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 21:14:07 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;338955
:rain:

Do red (linear) also get mushier over time or it's only the tactile who has that problem?

Linears have not a lot to wear, I touched a (likely) ten years old black keyboard and felt more or less like a new one.

BTW i think "mushier" is not the exact definition for the weared out tactile switches, they just become progressively less tactile: a clear becomes a sorta of brown, a brown becomes a sorta of red.

Offline Tallon

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 10:27:23 »
Well, atleast one person here appreciates the ripometer. What are your thoughts on the heavy ergo clears? Good, bad, waste of time?

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 10:56:30 »
I say the lite ones are "ergo". The ones with black springs are something else =)