Author Topic: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad  (Read 204928 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 12:45:42 »
Ron, why not just have a jumper, when building the keyboard, the builder can solder the jumper depending on whatever config they want.

Because that would make everyone install the jumper -- or at least jump between two pads as on the JD40.  I was trying to avoid exactly that scenario to achieve a higher level of plug and play.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 13:09:38 »
I was thinking more along the lines of having simple surface pad jumpers, unlike SMD components, these are easier to solder than TH jumpers.

Something like this:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 15:04:48 »
I was thinking more along the lines of having simple surface pad jumpers, unlike SMD components, these are easier to solder than TH jumpers.

Something like this:
Show Image

So a blob of solder on 1-2 for backlighting or a blob of solder on 2-3 for CPS (e.g.)?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #303 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 11:35:35 »
Done.  Beta PCB is done.  Yeah! 

All LEDs are now wired.  Jumpers as described above are in place.  Whew!

Off to to the keyboard meet-up I am hosting.  Next up will be doing a bunch of QA, finalizing silkscreen, and getting a group buy for Beta PCBs underway.

Tentative pricing:

$20 for the first PCB to an individual, $10 for each additional PCB to the same individual.  That means if you want one PCB, it will be $20, but if you want two, it will be $30.  And three will be $40.  This pricing model offsets the setup charges at low volume, but enables us to take advantage of volume pricing without pesky MOQ tiers.  (We'll see if this works!  It won't work if people cheat and combine orders.)

Anyhow, here is the GH36 Full Backlit, Reversable, Programmable Matrix Keypad Beta Candidate v141122g1.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #304 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:03:44 »
That super PCB impresses the hell out of me, Ron. But looking at the price, I take it these PCBs aren't going to be of Ergodox quality? (I have been looking at ergodox PCBs recently and was really taken with the quality.)

I mention quality, because it is practically guaranteed some idiots (such as me) are certain to do stupid things when faced with such a complex PCB. EG we put solder into the wrong holes, we solder in switches or LEDs the wrong way round, etc. I think the PCB should be able to endure considerable 'abuse' (as in multiple resoldering cycles.) Spending a few more bucks per PCB should pay off in the longer run when fewer PCBs die.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #305 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:21:16 »
This is awesome!  Can't wait to get a chance to play with one :)
Hi :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #306 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:40:32 »
That super PCB impresses the hell out of me, Ron. But looking at the price, I take it these PCBs aren't going to be of Ergodox quality? (I have been looking at ergodox PCBs recently and was really taken with the quality.)

I mention quality, because it is practically guaranteed some idiots (such as me) are certain to do stupid things when faced with such a complex PCB. EG we put solder into the wrong holes, we solder in switches or LEDs the wrong way round, etc. I think the PCB should be able to endure considerable 'abuse' (as in multiple resoldering cycles.) Spending a few more bucks per PCB should pay off in the longer run when fewer PCBs die.

No, I think you will be happy with the quality.  The vendor I use produces much better quality than many of the specialty boards I have seen recently.  Before I started using them for keyboards, I designed an LED strip so I could see how their traces and pads are.  Then I had them make larger and more complex PCBs.

The boards are .062" thick, double-sided, instead of the .031" or even .020" some are.  Of particular importance to me is robust construction of the pads because that is where the soldering and de-soldering cycles happen.  And these pads are some of the best I have seen.  Certainly they are better than the pads on (e.g.) the JD40 PCB, which I pulled off while de-soldering a Teensy.  (Killed the Teensy as well, but that was expected!)

Anyone who wants a sample PCB to judge workmanship, just send me a PM and I'll mail you some samwisekoi LED strips made exactly the way these PCBs will be made.  And any of the Prototype participants can tell you how the PCBs stack up against others.

Modular LED Strip by samwisekoi 2014.

Also, please know that I keep track of the cost of the PCB as I design, and where I can make design decisions that reduce cost without impacting form or function, I do that.  Also, because this is 100% through-hole, there are none of the extra cost elements on an SMD PSB.

Anyhow, if you want a sample PCB, just send me a PM.  I don't have an infinite number to hand out, but I have many.

Thanks for sharing my concern for quality before price!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  If anyone brings an Ergodox PCB to today's meet-up, I'll do some side-by-side comparisons and photos.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #307 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:57:10 »
This sounds fantastic! The only problem (which is not the PCB designer's problem) is that when the abovementioned idiots (like me) screw up, probably it will be very tough to desolder these thick, solid PCBs...

But that said, from your personal experience, how are you using it without a plate? Works out well? Something thick and compact should not have much flex, but I'm wondering how you are using it in a real situation. EG when furiously typing code or when spamming keypresses during a game, a PCB mounted keyboard would still be under severe challenge. 

As a matrix layout enthusiast I am thinking of my next stage. Buy these PCBs, buy teensy, what else to make them function like normal keyboards? Have you any plans about the eventual casing group buy that must take place? I don't have many local options for building cases. Really hoping someone will design an ergodox variant.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #308 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:03:38 »
Hmm... looking at the PCB again, it seems that a number of switches will have to be mounted sideways. That won't a problem for me and people who do not use backlight, but it looks as though your intention to help the LED-loving folks might not be fulfilled. With so many LEDs mounted to the side, backlighting won't be so good on a number of keys.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #309 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:04:47 »

Something like this:
Show Image

So a blob of solder on 1-2 for backlighting or a blob of solder on 2-3 for CPS (e.g.)?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Sorry Ron, I intended to reply earlier but had to go somewhere so I forgot to reply. Yes, blobs between the pads would act as the jumpers. Regack did some tests and I followed that up and found that 5mil gap between pads worked quite well and was easy enough to desolder. My recommendation would be to take the design further and have a trace between pads 1 and 2, this allows users to cut that trace and connect pad 2 and 3 while still maintaining an easy method of going back to full backlit by bridging pads 1 and 2. You could perhaps have dashed line on the silkscreen to indicate where to make the cut.

Oh and do you mind sharing details of your PCB fabricator.

P.S, Yeah for the those diagonals!
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:10:13 by MOZ »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #310 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 09:53:15 »
For those of you going for case design, here is a DXF file showing all of the cuts and mounting hole positions.  It also shows the location of the Teensy and the interconnects.

My PCBs are made by Micro Logic (aka Pad2Pad).

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 11:14:31 »
Just to add my voice regarding case design, I hope that some people will design cases with room to accommodate more keys hand-added in the thumb positions. Slits in the case or something like that. I'm pretty sure I am not going to be the only person who wants to use this layout in a split ergodox style.

Ron, I understand I can hook up more keys to the GH36 but have never done it before in practice. Do you recommend getting these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pc-White-Keyboard-2x5-keys-Metal-Panel-Switch-Machine-type-Pushbutton-/140570497982?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item20baa793be
and doing hand wiring to the teensy

or do you think designing my own custom PCB for a thumb key area would work better? I would probably do a 2x3 matrix for the thumbs since I can't stretch far. If designing, I will make my PCB extremely simple because I have no capacity to do what you did.

Micro Logic seems to be pretty cheap, but at this stage I know too little to submit my own quote. How many PCBs did you have to buy to get that $10 cheapo price? Right now I believe I will buy 4-6 for myself and maybe some other people will buy a few to get 10 orders.

Offline moemoe666

• Silence Unicorn <3
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 14:43:13 »
awesome :D

PCB is just 20 for each but I'm not good at building this stuff :/

hopefully you guys have option for fully assemble pad <3
Stuff:
Black Bird V1: Clear 72g - Light Saver V2 : Black 62g  - Rosewill : Vintage Black - 38gt Acrylic case : Brown 55g - Ducky Z One : Brown - Keycool Brown: R.I.P

Zowie EC2 Evo Black & White - SS Sensei MLG - SS Frost blue - Kana V1 - Kinzu V1

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #313 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 10:29:01 »
Just to add my voice regarding case design, I hope that some people will design cases with room to accommodate more keys hand-added in the thumb positions. Slits in the case or something like that. I'm pretty sure I am not going to be the only person who wants to use this layout in a split ergodox style.

Ron, I understand I can hook up more keys to the GH36 but have never done it before in practice. Do you recommend getting these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pc-White-Keyboard-2x5-keys-Metal-Panel-Switch-Machine-type-Pushbutton-/140570497982?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item20baa793be
and doing hand wiring to the teensy

or do you think designing my own custom PCB for a thumb key area would work better? I would probably do a 2x3 matrix for the thumbs since I can't stretch far. If designing, I will make my PCB extremely simple because I have no capacity to do what you did.

Micro Logic seems to be pretty cheap, but at this stage I know too little to submit my own quote. How many PCBs did you have to buy to get that $10 cheapo price? Right now I believe I will buy 4-6 for myself and maybe some other people will buy a few to get 10 orders.

So I have worked out how to add 6-key "Thumb" sections to the GH36x2.  And you should be able to do so by cutting the thumb sections from GH36 PCBs.

When I have a chance, I'll pull the info out of my head and post it here.  I may include some images if I can get time to make them.

FYI,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 11:56:48 »
So I have worked out how to add 6-key "Thumb" sections to the GH36x2.  And you should be able to do so by cutting the thumb sections from GH36 PCBs.

When I have a chance, I'll pull the info out of my head and post it here.  I may include some images if I can get time to make them.

FYI,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Just can I ask you, when you say 'cutting the thumb sections', does that mean the GH36 PCB will come with extra little sections for people who might want to do more with it? I think including an extra 2x3 section is an awesome idea because it won't add greatly to costs when we have economies of scale, but will also add a lot of flexibility to the people who want thumb keys.

As for pulling the info out of your head, you really made me laugh!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #315 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 23:58:21 »
Alright guys I need a touch of help with my GH36.  The key at row 2 col 5 does not want to work.  I checked it by shorting the corresponding pins on the teensy and that works fine.  If I hold down the offending switch nothing else in that row will work, however the rest of the column functions properly.  I really want to minimize desoldering the teensy again I only have 50/50 record so far of not lifting pads on them when removing.  Any ideas on where to start?

If I need to post pics I can.  I have preformed the two cuts and the jumper as suggested by samwisekoi.

Edit:  Working correctly.  The trace fix that samwise preformed before shipping was not complete.  I just had to rebreak that trace next to the diode at C5R2. 

On a side note I am getting a lot better at removing teensy controllers after being soldered in.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 December 2014, 16:47:18 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 00:35:36 »
I'll take 2 if they're still available. Otherwise I'll take 2 from the next batch :)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #317 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 14:59:35 »
Ron, do the pins for the rows and columns still match the pinouts posted on the first page?

I'm not interested in backlighting, so I'm considering using an arduino pro micro as a controller, which has 18 pins for 12 rows and 6 columns. I'm hoping to connect these pins to the relevant pins on the pcb. Am I correct in assuming the other pins are used for LED circuits, and aren't necessary for the board to function?

I'm also having trouble following the vcc trace coming off the teensy -- it's also for LED power, correct?

Alternately, is it possible to post a schematic view of the PCB? I could find my own answers from there without too much trouble.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #318 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 09:49:08 »
I've not looked at this design for a while, but my early-morning answers are in-line below.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Ron, do the pins for the rows and columns still match the pinouts posted on the first page?

Yes, those pinouts are accurate +/- the fixes that are needed.

I'm not interested in backlighting, so I'm considering using an arduino pro micro as a controller, which has 18 pins for 12 rows and 6 columns. I'm hoping to connect these pins to the relevant pins on the pcb. Am I correct in assuming the other pins are used for LED circuits, and aren't necessary for the board to function?

18 pins plus ground and Vcc should do it just fine.

I'm also having trouble following the vcc trace coming off the teensy -- it's also for LED power, correct?

That is all it is for.  It does also go to the interconnect, but still, just for LEDs.  (Actually, where it goes is to the transistor for the LED circuit.)

Alternately, is it possible to post a schematic view of the PCB? I could find my own answers from there without too much trouble.

Sorry, that exists only in my head, and is erased after I get the PCB designed.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #319 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 16:04:39 »
So if I'm reading that right, VCC is only for LED power, but I should still connect it to the board even if I'm not using any LEDs? I feel like I must be missing something here.

If I'm not doing LEDs, I also don't need the resistors or transistors, correct? Just switches, diodes, and some means of doing the interconnect?

Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 09:09:06 »
Sorry.  I sideswiped that part of my answer.

I assume your controller chip needs power and ground.  The PCB certainly does not.  Nor does it need resistors or that transistor.  The PCB only needs switches, diodes, and the mandatory proto-class fixes.

So, 18 pins is enough, yes.  Actually, only 12 if you are using a single board.  Six rows, six columns on PCB #1, and another 6 columns on PCB #2.  The rows are shared through the interconnect.

- Ron | samwisekoi

So if I'm reading that right, VCC is only for LED power, but I should still connect it to the board even if I'm not using any LEDs? I feel like I must be missing something here.

If I'm not doing LEDs, I also don't need the resistors or transistors, correct? Just switches, diodes, and some means of doing the interconnect?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 16:53:15 »
Sam, sorry I have went mia. Are you still asking about prototype pcb owners needing cases? I would totally like a case that is layers with the round corners pics.

please let me know. thanks.

« Reply #322 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 12:57:55 »
Did this project fall by the wayside?  I had been following it for quite a while hoping to purchase a final version but I haven't seen much activity in this thread.  I am a third party retirement plan administrator that is constantly working on financials for 401k plans for my clients and I hate having to bounce back and forth from the numpad on the right side of the keyboard to the center or left side of my keyboard.  I have looked into buying a 10-key board but none of them have all of the keys I need to use when I am working in excel and communicating with my clients and their CPAs.  I need something with an escape key nearby to reset my computer calculator, a comma key for typing financials into emails properly, the percent symbol, parenthesis keys, an equal key, an asterisk key, a tab key for excel navigation, a backspace key, and a delete key.  This project looked to be exactly what I needed with all of the programmability to customize it to my needs but, although I have soldered a few components to a couple of motherboards in the past, I don't know as I have what it takes to put this all together on my own. 

If this project is still moving forward let me know.  And if someone already has a working board or two and would be willing to discuss a price to put one together for me I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #323 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 13:40:59 »
Did this project fall by the wayside?  I had been following it for quite a while hoping to purchase a final version but I haven't seen much activity in this thread.  I am a third party retirement plan administrator that is constantly working on financials for 401k plans for my clients and I hate having to bounce back and forth from the numpad on the right side of the keyboard to the center or left side of my keyboard.  I have looked into buying a 10-key board but none of them have all of the keys I need to use when I am working in excel and communicating with my clients and their CPAs.  I need something with an escape key nearby to reset my computer calculator, a comma key for typing financials into emails properly, the percent symbol, parenthesis keys, an equal key, an asterisk key, a tab key for excel navigation, a backspace key, and a delete key.  This project looked to be exactly what I needed with all of the programmability to customize it to my needs but, although I have soldered a few components to a couple of motherboards in the past, I don't know as I have what it takes to put this all together on my own. 

If this project is still moving forward let me know.  And if someone already has a working board or two and would be willing to discuss a price to put one together for me I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!

I hope it's not dead.  Sam is definitely still around and he is working on various projects so hopefully he will chime in.  Even if it doesn't pan out, keep in touch because a good keypad project would always be in demand at GH, I'm sure.

I did one (seen in avatar) and it was really nice but it's also a lot of work.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 22:17:37 »
Just a necrobump to remind people that this project is still somewhere around.

Really hope Ron hasn't lost interest.

I'm quite keen on being a tester even though I really am quite low on technical skills. (But soldering and wiring isn't a problem.)

In the past few months several people have put forward their own matrix keyboard designs. It seems that this concept has gained some traction. But no one else has come foward with their own split designs. I find GH36 a great potential alternative to the ergodox and hope the project can continue moving forward.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 22:20:55 »
i'd love to play around with one of these! gl with future GB

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #326 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 23:12:54 »
He's not been online for more than three weeks.  Hopefully he's not gone.  This one would probably be rather popular.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #327 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 23:47:18 »
I'm very interested in this project  :thumb:
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 01:16:48 »
If Ron's overwhelmed with work I hope someone can take his stuff and run with it. The project has great potential.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #329 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 20:23:01 »

Thanks!

You share the same thoughts with me, all I need is an extended Excel keypad! As an actuary, I need to use Excel excessively and I need those symbol keys in addition to a normal keypad.

However, existing GHPAD doesn't seem to offer direct output of symbol (maybe the easy firmware doesn't support this) and is more importantly not large enough.

I'm interested in one single large matrix. Hopefully the project is still alive.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 20:35:14 »

Thanks!

You share the same thoughts with me, all I need is an extended Excel keypad! As an actuary, I need to use Excel excessively and I need those symbol keys in addition to a normal keypad.

However, existing GHPAD doesn't seem to offer direct output of symbol (maybe the easy firmware doesn't support this) and is more importantly not large enough.

I'm interested in one single large matrix. Hopefully the project is still alive.

Easy AVR firmware will support this in a new release that should be posted as a beta tonight.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #331 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 09:28:27 »
Update

So this project is not dead.  I finished the Rev. 2 PCB, and metalliqaz finished the firmware.  Frankly, I gave up on waiting for feedback from the Rev. 1 prototypers.

But my GH-36 works fine, so if there is enough demand, I can easily get another run of 20 printed and shipped.

Are people interested?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Thanks!

Easy AVR firmware will support this in a new release that should be posted as a beta tonight.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 09:31:49 by samwisekoi »

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 09:35:37 »
you know I'm a big supporter, Ron. What's the price on your rev 2s? If they're still $10 apiece I'll buy up to 6. If you get enough buyers later I'll let go of 2. Either way I'm taking a minimum of 4.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #333 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 09:41:53 »
I'm interested in a whole bunch of these boards, dependent on price and availability. Probably 5 or 6 ideally.

Any chance you can post an electrical layout of the Rev. 2 board? Or is it essentially identical to the layout on the last page?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #334 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 10:43:08 »
you know I'm a big supporter, Ron. What's the price on your rev 2s? If they're still $10 apiece I'll buy up to 6. If you get enough buyers later I'll let go of 2. Either way I'm taking a minimum of 4.

More buyers, lower price.

I'm interested in a whole bunch of these boards, dependent on price and availability. Probably 5 or 6 ideally.

Any chance you can post an electrical layout of the Rev. 2 board? Or is it essentially identical to the layout on the last page?

I can.  However, I have to decide if I am going to do a run of Rev 1.1, which I know will work, or if I am going to do a first run of Rev 2.0, which will have its own set of teething pains.  Also, the software from metalliqaz was made for Rev. 1, so that also is a known entity.  Rev. 2 has a new pin-out, so it will need revised software.

Many of the people who are still interested are not ready to be guinea pigs for a new layout, which suggests the best next run would be the same as the first run, but with the bugs fixed.

When I have a chance (not today) I'll look at the options and post another update.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I have got to get some keycaps back on my GH-36!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #335 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 10:49:15 »
Good to see you back, Ron.  New layouts aren't a big deal to support.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 12:36:50 »
As I have said previously I intend to use the GH36 as a split matrix pair 36x2 keys for actual use. Leds will be soldered into SIP sockets. The good thing is you have a guaranteed tester who will put hours on it.

The bad thing is I don't have much skill, and really don't want to be testing it as a gamepad with alternate use of key locations. I don't game much.

Also I will strictly be using the Cherry MX pads. I don't use alps at all.

Offline telnet

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:08:15 »
Please count me in for 2 pcbs.

Would I need two teensy's, if I want to build something similar to an ergodox with these boards?

QFR Frosty Flake | 7bit Phantom

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #338 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:16:59 »
Please count me in for 2 pcbs.

Would I need two teensy's, if I want to build something similar to an ergodox with these boards?

Nope.  Just one.

As I have said previously I intend to use the GH36 as a split matrix pair 36x2 keys for actual use. Leds will be soldered into SIP sockets. The good thing is you have a guaranteed tester who will put hours on it.

The bad thing is I don't have much skill, and really don't want to be testing it as a gamepad with alternate use of key locations. I don't game much.

Also I will strictly be using the Cherry MX pads. I don't use alps at all.

These are MX-only so they can be flipped for LH or RH use.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #339 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 22:45:46 »
Wait this is still open? I want one. Count me in.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #340 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 23:17:05 »
Wait this is still open? I want one. Count me in.

Well, it wasn't, but contrary to what some believe, berserkfan can be quite persuasive, and has gotten me to realize this should have at least one more at-bat.

Seriously; you can thank berserkfan and his steadfast persistence for this one.

More GH-36 PCBs coming.

-Ron | samwisekoi

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #341 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 07:32:36 »
Well sweet! Count me in !
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 09:18:11 »
Hmm so you can use two PCBs as a single board, Ergodox-style? I'm changing my order to two, please!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 09:28:22 »
Hmm so you can use two PCBs as a single board, Ergodox-style? I'm changing my order to two, please!

Because of cost, strength during shipping, and the possibility of lifting pads if someone has never soldered a keyboard before, I much prefer to ship these PCBs in PAIRS anyhow.  It adds little to the cost, nothing to postage, and hugely improves shipping safety.

I will probably also make a 3D-printed 5x5 case model available for self-printing or purchase through Shapeways.

But none of this is happening for at least a couple of weeks!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 11:18:30 »

Because of cost, strength during shipping, and the possibility of lifting pads if someone has never soldered a keyboard before, I much prefer to ship these PCBs in PAIRS anyhow.  It adds little to the cost, nothing to postage, and hugely improves shipping safety.

I will probably also make a 3D-printed 5x5 case model available for self-printing or purchase through Shapeways.

- Ron | samwisekoi

5x5 inches? That seems a little big for a 6x6 key matrix keyboard. Can anyone cook up a design for a metal version? I am guessing that a 3D printed casing has to be thick due to the weaker material.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 13:02:02 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

5x5 inches? That seems a little big for a 6x6 key matrix keyboard. Can anyone cook up a design for a metal version? I am guessing that a 3D printed casing has to be thick due to the weaker material.

Sorry, I meant 6x6 matrix.  So 4.5x4.5 inches nominal.

Samwisekoi wedge case for full GH-36 matrix keypad.

Sorry for the confusion.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline telnet

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 16:08:49 »
What do you expect the ballpark pricing to be for the PCBs?  Depending on cost I might get 4 instead of 2.

In case the setup really grows on me and I need an extra set for the office.

QFR Frosty Flake | 7bit Phantom

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 17:22:18 »
Ok, somehow I got sucked into this today.  More than I expected.  So I fixed all the known flaws in the PROTO_1 PCB, which has resulted in v.150506a4 BETA_1.

GH36 v.150506a4 BETA_1 PCB (front side) by samwisekoi 2015

Pictures and change log:
More
BETA_1 (v150506a4)

Fixes to v140808b9 PROTO_1:

1) Removed extra trace from D26+ to D27-
2) Corrected Teensy pin labels for C7-C11
3) Relocated R35 resistor to un-block PCB-mount stabilizer
4) Fixed ground plane overlap on R4, R5 and R6
5) Corrected trace for row 5 so it no longer touches pin 3 on sw16

GH36 v.150506a4 BETA_1 PCB (back side) by samwisekoi 2015

GH36 v.150506a4 BETA_1 PCB (ground plane) by samwisekoi 2015

I can get these PCBs in a couple of weeks.  At 40+ PCBs, the cost (before shipping) will be $20 per pair.

NOTE:  These are updated version 1 PCBs, NOT the re-designed version 2 PCBs that have never been made or tested.  These HAVE BEEN TESTED, but they have some limitations.  Limited LED support, 1x1 and 1x2 switch positions only, side-exit USB and cross-connect cables to name a few.  But they do work.  I've used one as a stand-alone gaming pad since August, and one of my teammates here has used a pair in faux-Ergodox mode for about as long.  And this is the fastest, most certain way to get the PCBs into the hands of people who expect to solder, program and go.

Oh, and metalliqaz' firmware is done and tested for this version.

So, if people are actually interested, I can get some more made.

Cheers, y'all,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 17:29:55 »
I am in for one!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #349 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 18:48:10 »
Definitely in for 6. Will keep an eye on this thread for more updates.

Ron, when you say that you only have partial LED support, this means that only numlock and WASD LED circuits are complete, correct? Although it looks like the WASD circuit can actually light 7 total positions if I'm following traces correctly.