Author Topic: My Logitech G810 mod/Extension: Extra thumb keys using Cherry MX switches  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Aelon

Hello everybody, I would like to show you the extension that I made for my Logitech G810 Keyboard. Making it effectively "Logitech G810+" Plus version of it hehehehe.

I like to play games, especially MMORPG games like World of Warcraft and I like to press buttons with my thumb below the space bar.
The problem is; very very few gamer keyboards have extra buttons below space bar. And the ones that have those buttons don't have the exact specs I want. Therefore I made my own extension for my keyboard having thumb buttons for my needs by using PVC panels, Cherry MX Brown switches and 20pin ribbon data cables.

Notable mention keyboards that have buttons below space bar are:
A4Tech G800V keyboard. I have it. Unfortunately it is a rubber dome/membrane keyboard it's not very durable and not fun to type on.
Asus Strix Tactic Pro. I also have it. It is a machanical keyboard with Cherry MX Browns but however the button switches below the space bar are not Cherry MX. And probably those switches are not very durable
Razer Anansi keyboard. I don't have it and it didn't appeal to me... I only want 3 or 4 buttons below space bar sequentially.
Gamdias Hermes Cherry MX Mechanical keyboard. I don't have it. Seems very promising but button positions below spacebar are a little bit too "left" for my needs
Roccat Ryos MK Pro: I don't have it. Good Cherry MX keyboard. Again however wrong position, type and style of buttons below space bar for my needs.

The idea is having quality Cherry MX Brown switches under my thumb. The height and the position of buttons are also crucial for my needs as you can see from the picture here (I took this photo during design stage of course):

Here is the finished end product:

I also like to show you the build/design stages:

First things first: I bought some 20pin Ribbon Data Cable and started soldering them to the switches that I would like to "duplicate" them using paralel connection.

Here I cut my Logitech G810 plastic body with dremel tool so that the ribbon cable can go out from that tiny slot.

Started cutting PVC panels and gluing them using super glue:

Early design stage for position and height of buttons:
By the way don't get confused by the "arrow" keycaps. I only have spare keycaps as arrow keycaps.
The actual buttons that I duplicated are:
the characters: * - ğ ü ş i , ö ç .  (Total 10, in Turkish ISO layout keyboard)
these are the characters that is found on UK big entered layout (Turkish layout is a modification of ISO UK layout):
the characters: - = [ ] : @ # < > /
I think you get the idea of which keys I wanted to "duplicate". In game (almost in any game you want) you bind those characters to the spells you like of course.

Started painting it after sanding the edges (I also built two small partial keyboard covers for the numpad and Print Scrn, Page Up, Page Down... group):

Keyboard sitting in PVC case without button panels, switches and cable connections...

Adding some bling factor and weathering for a worn out metal look (Altough I am not very good at weathering):

There is also 2 layers of matte clear coat on the button panels.

Panels without switches and cable connections:

Here is the tiny slot that ribbon cable comes out. I cut the slit with dremel tool.

Started Soldering the switches of PVC case:

Attached the bottom panel to the case using some spare screws. This is also important for future serviceability of the panel and switches (The screw holes are drilled by dremel) Also by using screws at every centimeter in the future, I can slide the position of the bottom panel to the left or right if needed (Provided I have to cut the panel from edges of course)

Finally started attaching the connectors for 20pin ribbon data cable:

Used this crude tool (pliers) to attach the connectors to the cable:

And here is the end result for PVC case itself:

The ribbon cable of keyboard:

The PVC case with extra buttons and the keyboard itself is about to get "married". The idea is: By using detachable connectors, the keyboard can always be used alone anytime without the PVC case. The keyboard is also not glued to the case of course...

And finally they marry :)

It all works and adds enjoyment to my gaming experience and to my eyes of course :)

The only thing that concerns me is the durability. I wonder if it will last for years. Because the button panels are also soft PVC... Well we will see. Time will tell. Perhaps I will try to inform you all upcoming years.

Ah by the way: Logitech G810 have Romer-G switches which are a little bit "mushy" and "membrane like" compared to Cherry MX switches. but it is fine by me. Besides this way keyboard is less noisier.

Also: My CM Storm Quickfire XT keyboard also fits the PVC case. However it needs another 20pin ribbon data cable soldered to its PCB. (Here in this picture I also painted my CM Storm keyboard to orange color 1 year ago. It has Cherry MX Blue switches. My number one keyboard for typing.)

This is the first prototype for my project.
I only used 3 types of PVC panels that have the thicknesses: 2.7mm, 4mm and 9mm. It is quite soft material. Can easily be cut and shaped by using snap blade knife.
Since the design and the style and measures for especially the position of thumb buttons are known, from now on perhaps I can use laser plexiglass cutting or even 3D printer technology for upcoming newer and more durable versions of it.

I am sure this kind of project has been done before in this site. But I wanted to show you my version of it. I hope you liked it. Thank you all for reading.

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 March 2019, 00:00:47 by Aelon »

Offline Tactile

Nice work!
REΛLFORCE

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
That's also a really clever design with the way you managed data throughput!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Bucake

awesome! i love how personal it is
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline clickityClackity

Awesome work! I recently went a different route because I wanted additional buttons I could use with my thumb (love thumb clusters, but I like to switch it up(no pun intended, seriously)). I'm wondering if you've ever thought about a Japanese layout? A lot of people don't like the short space bar but it happens to work perfectly for me. If that's not an issue, you'll get a couple extra buttons which you could reprogram.

Because thats not enough in the search for typing perfection, I also split my keyboards... Not physically, but I leave a column for modifiers.  Attaching a picture of my current work in progress, a Japanese layout hhkb which will make more sense.

Obviously not as badass but thought I'd throw it out there. I never thought about a separate row for the thumb, but this is basically my equivalent.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 April 2017, 23:05:14 by clickityClackity »

Offline Aelon

Tactile, iLLucionist, Bucake and clickityClackity Thank you very much.

clickityClackity: Your approach is excellent work also I congratulate you.
Having extra buttons next to a small space bar is also not a very unusual approach for me as well.
In my original post, I mentioned about the A4Tech X7-G800V keyboard. In that particular keyboard the space bar is a little bit shorter and there are 2 extra macro buttons left and right side of it. Besides I also used to bind some spells to those buttons during gaming and press them with my thumb a lot of times in the past.

Here is a picture of G800V Keyboard (Notice the macro buttons next to relatively small space bar):

But as I also mentioned before, unfortunately this is a rubber dome/membrane keyboard. Besides pressing buttons next to space bar is still a little bit awkward for me.

What I like is only 3 or 4 extra buttons placed sequentially below the space bar at right amount of height and position which is most comfortable position for my left hand. As I mentioned before, I only use those buttons for gaming purposes. These positions are perfect for my left hand.
Few days ago I also raised the keyboard in it's PVC case 3mm more to be a little bit more comfortable. For me pressing thumb buttons next to space bar makes my hand in so called more "claw" position which is also not very comfortable for me. But I like your thinking and design also. By the way no I have no idea how Japanese keysets or layout work. Heck I can't even differentiate Chinese, Japanese (or Taiwan? Korean??) letters/alphabet.

Here in this photo keyboard is raised about 3mm more in PVC case:

Thanks everybody again.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 September 2018, 19:45:28 by Aelon »

Offline clickityClackity

Oh cool, I have never seen that board so I had no idea... Never seen an English layout board with a small space bar!

That 2nd picture is great, gives
 a great idea of the usability. I definitely see how useful that could be, and now I have an itch for a thumb row! I've gotten really used to a dedicated F5 (I work a lot in SQL) but otherwise using a function key for the F row. I've seen some boards with F rows in line with numbers... Thinking of the plausibility of moving my fingers up a row, which could potentially work out with the right board/modifications. Short of that, do you have any thoughts on a simpler way to accomplish this? In my case it needs to be portable (permanent) as well.

Awesome, awesome layout you have! I'm growing fonder of it the more I think about it!

I don't know speak the language either, but I won't get something I can't unless I can fully customize the layout (thank you Hasu for the HHKB controllers!)

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-670N using Tapatalk

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Haha that's a brilliant idea.
Great work! Nice execution.

Offline pr0ximity

I love love love projects like this, going so deep into a highly-personalized design. Awesome mix of aesthetics and functionality, and the covers for the numpad and nav cluster are very cool.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
I love love love projects like this, going so deep into a highly-personalized design. Awesome mix of aesthetics and functionality, and the covers for the numpad and nav cluster are very cool.

I would so much like an Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 exactly like that. But then with MX Clears or Topre. But I don't know howz.

166953-0
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Aelon

StickyBlueJuice and pr0ximity Thank you very much indeed :)