Author Topic: I need to upgrade my laptop wireless card  (Read 4556 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I need to upgrade my laptop wireless card
« on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 08:43:21 »
I have an old laptop (Acer Aspire 5534 from 2010) that I use infrequently but would like to keep in service for another couple of years if possible.

The stock factory card is an Atheros Ar5b93 T77h047.31 LF and I would love to find something cheap on ebay to replace it.

It does not have to come up to 2017 bleeding edge standards, but the original has become dog-slow.

Can anybody give me some solid suggestions, and not just guesses?

Thanks!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: I need to upgrade my laptop wireless card
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 08:45:32 »
Usb wireless dongles are very cheap you might try one of those

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 18:10:27 »
I eat meat and cheese, and even seaweed, but never wifi.

USB dongle is a great idea.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 18:26:26 »
That card is already 300mb, most of the tiny usb ones run at that or less, to go faster you either need the stick type or a base station. Also the USB ones tend to use more power so you really want an internal one if you want your battery life to remain.

Look into the Intel 7260 (Ebay $10-$30, Amazon $15-$30). 
Beware, there are several versions, some with bluetooth, some without, some are wireless N, some are AC. You also need to make sure it has the two screw holes instead of the notch.

Skip the Intel 62** series, some have had issues.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 21:20:18 »
That card is already 300mb, most of the tiny usb ones run at that or less, to go faster you either need the stick type or a base station. Also the USB ones tend to use more power so you really want an internal one if you want your battery life to remain.

Look into the Intel 7260 (Ebay $10-$30, Amazon $15-$30). 
Beware, there are several versions, some with bluetooth, some without, some are wireless N, some are AC. You also need to make sure it has the two screw holes instead of the notch.

Skip the Intel 62** series, some have had issues.

I  doubt it's a wifi card problem fohat even has.. hahahaha

probably just a case of n00bness.

Fohat haz SSD, and Clean Windz installation ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 02:58:53 »
it's possible for wifi cards to wear out, but rare, because it'd have to be constantly transmitting. few people do bulk data over wifi.

i would reformat and buy an ssd first.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 05:44:00 »
I  doubt it's a wifi card problem fohat even has.. hahahaha

probably just a case of n00bness.

Fohat haz SSD, and Clean Windz installation ?
He didn't mention it having a problem, only that he wanted an upgrade.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 11:57:15 »
Nevermind, googled,  athlon L310.     641 passmark

If it is this cpu,  NOTHING will make this computer a joy to use.. Not even an SSD upgrade.

It's theoretically OK-ish if you install Windows XP on it.  But then you must use a samsung or intel ssd which have manual trim toolbox software..

IMHO, not worth messing with.

Nothing under 3500-4000 passmark is worth fixing up/ using.

Just buy a used lenovo T420..  LIGHT years faster.. and only ~$180-200ish

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 00:53:12 »
I have been telling myself/family that i'm going to get around to wiring the house with cat6... but until then i'll just use a USB wireless on my desktop. That was like 7 years ago.
I have burned through a few of them and right now the one i'm using i bought last year and i've just recently started seeing the signs that its on its way to the trash (disconnects from the usb controller during heavy use). Its been pretty good though considering how many hours of pegged use it gets. Its this one from Panda 300mbps N . I just picked up another one for my 3D printer PC which is going out in the garage which is on the other side of the yard... and it is much better: Ourlink 600mbps long range dual band
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 December 2017, 00:55:55 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 01:55:15 »

I second one of these. I bought one when my wireless card crapped out on my laptop, and then used it again for my first PC about six years ago. Worked very well and some of them come with a short cable so you can either have the dongle sticking straight out like a USB stick or on a small stand you can put somewhere away from the device to give you better signal.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 03:39:26 »

I second one of these. I bought one when my wireless card crapped out on my laptop, and then used it again for my first PC about six years ago. Worked very well and some of them come with a short cable so you can either have the dongle sticking straight out like a USB stick or on a small stand you can put somewhere away from the device to give you better signal.

You guys are on the right track had fohat's problem Actually been the wireless..

But around firefox 2x or so, the browser cpu requirement became quite significant.. this was 7 years ago..

The,  athlon L310 in fohat's laptop is almost certainly the more likely culprit of (perceived slowness).