Author Topic: [GB] Golbat 40% Keyboard with Kimera Core R1. UPDATED April 21st, please read  (Read 138996 times)

Offline gain

ayy mine just arrived today, going to assemble it tomorrow night, it's so adorable :3

Offline lishi

• Luxury Taste Buds
    • Personal Website

Potato pic of the finished product! I call it... the GolDbat  ;D

Here's my layout I have right now:

Here's the Gist: https://gist.github.com/thisisshi/9511ae62ce69d0eca7c07653e5ad7015
All the kustom 60s

Offline cheddarbek

Got my new spacebars in, and my Golbat is complete.

The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline sinegav

• love keybaords
Must say I'm really happy about how easy it was to make your new layout and flash it.
But how come you are only able to use three layers in total?  :eek: A fourth one would have come in handy for me at least  :p

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 July 2016, 01:58:06 by sinegav »

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
Finally found the time to build mine. Tiny, but fierce!

Offline shangrila500

Show Image

Need a proper sized enter :\

Also have to unwarp the right spacebar.

Oh and hoping some white smd LEDs would reflect the gold flake acrylic, need some of those to test out.

Show Image

Blacks lubed and stickered. Didn't have enough custom springs to replace stock so said screw it.

How is the spacebar without stabilizers?

Offline JorisBoers

• ORANGE IS LOVE, ORANGE IS LIVE

Just started my build since I had to wait on a couple of switches and My acrylic isn't pink like it was orderd. Also the USB was crooked but I fixed that with some force.

Would like to know how we can get this fixed since it has switches soldered in already.

Pic of USB:
"I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - TenTenSeven

Offline shangrila500

Show Image

Show Image

Just started my build since I had to wait on a couple of switches and My acrylic isn't pink like it was orderd. Also the USB was crooked but I fixed that with some force.

Would like to know how we can get this fixed since it has switches soldered in already.

Pic of USB:
Show Image

It looks neon pink when held up to the light but when sandwiched it looks orange to me. Does it not look pink at all to you?

Offline JorisBoers

Show Image

Show Image

Pic of USB:
Show Image

It looks neon pink when held up to the light but when sandwiched it looks orange to me. Does it not look pink at all to you?

It looks pink in direct light indeed, saw that later but still in a sandwiched case that isn't the situation so it will just keep looking orange. Which isn't something you would want.
"I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - TenTenSeven

Offline shangrila500

Show Image

Show Image

Pic of USB:
Show Image

It looks pink in direct light indeed, saw that later but still in a sandwiched case that isn't the situation so it will just keep looking orange. Which isn't something you would want.

Agreed completely! I was wondering if I was just losing it or something because I kept seeing pink in the picture where you are holding it up and it can be seen though, then I noticed it looked decidedly orange when sandwiched. Just wanted to make sure that I was seeing things properly!

Edit:

The more I think about it the more I remember having some acrylic that was neon pink like yours and I remember it being orange when looked at from the side when it wasn't lit up enough to see through it. Maybe some bright white internal LEDs would help?
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 July 2016, 20:58:57 by shangrila500 »

Offline JorisBoers

Show Image

Show Image

Pic of USB:
Show Image

Agreed completely! I was wondering if I was just losing it or something because I kept seeing pink in the picture where you are holding it up and it can be seen though, then I noticed it looked decidedly orange when sandwiched. Just wanted to make sure that I was seeing things properly!

Edit:

The more I think about it the more I remember having some acrylic that was neon pink like yours and I remember it being orange when looked at from the side when it wasn't lit up enough to see through it. Maybe some bright white internal LEDs would help?

Ah, no you saw it all good ;)

Well I wasn't planning on using LEDS and it will need to be both at the bottom and the top of the PCB. I mean I can but some LEDs revesed in but that wouldn't be ideal I think. Rather just have it looking Pink but LEDs might be the only way to get it somewhat decently done :/

Offline mteinum

Show Image

Wow! This one is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker

Show Image

Now that's a pretty board, do you have any more pictures?

Offline HappyCatFish

Just finished building my board, can't wait to get some time to take photos of it. I glued on some little aluminum feet and soldered white LEDs to the underside of the pcb to get side lighting which is pretty cool.

I am still unsure how I feel about the functionality of the 40% layout but I am slowly getting used to it. I am definitely excited about figuring out what function layers and layouts work the best for me.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Show Image

Oh and hoping some white smd LEDs would reflect the gold flake acrylic, need some of those to test out.

Show Image

Blacks lubed and stickered. Didn't have enough custom springs to replace stock so said screw it.

Turns out I could put pcb mount stabs in after soldering the board up, so it has stabs now :)

Offline shangrila500

Show Image

Show Image

Turns out I could put pcb mount stabs in after soldering the board up, so it has stabs now :)

So I take it that it wasn't good without them? I have some that I have already lubed but I wanted to see how it was without them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2016, 00:05:48 by shangrila500 »

Offline shangrila500

Show Image

Show Image

Pic of USB:
Show Image

Edit:

Ah, no you saw it all good ;)

Well I wasn't planning on using LEDS and it will need to be both at the bottom and the top of the PCB. I mean I can but some LEDs revesed in but that wouldn't be ideal I think. Rather just have it looking Pink but LEDs might be the only way to get it somewhat decently done :/

Yeah, it would take quite a few of them to make it bright enough to shine through properly, they might even draw too much power making the Golbat not work properly. I remember someone earlier in the tread posting that they had issues with LEDs, I think they were SMD LEDs but my memory is terribly so I may be wrong, because they were pulling too much power and causing issues.

Bright light was the only thing that made my older acrylic show up as pink when looking from the side but I am not sure that would work here. You could test it out by assembling the case without the PCB and shining some light though the sides (out of the case wouldn't give you the same results) to see if it will show up as pink and not orange because even bright light may not make it show completely pink from the sides. If so that would be the way I would go but I prefer LEDs in my stuff whereas you didn't have plans to add them.

One other option is to find someone who can cut acrylic, like what is included in the Golbat kit, and get a sheet of pink acrylic that is more clear or lighter and get it cut. That would probably be the better way to do it if you don't want to add LEDs.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Show Image

Show Image

So I take it that it wasn't good without them? I have some that I have already lubed but I wanted to see how it was without them.

Didn't even try without them. They're easy enough to pop in and out to try both ways I guess.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
Here are my notes for if I need to do this again in the future.

Let me know if I missed something.

Instructions can be found on this thread
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78510.0

Step one: Go to http://www.enjoyclick.org/tkg/#. This is the site that will be building the main firmware for the board.
Step two: Choose the Kimera as the keyboard (not the two headed)
Step three: Click the config button and replace the text in the "matrix mapping" box with the following code http://pastebin.com/Bf2uQWHv
Step 3.1: Modify the Row mapping to be 1-4, and Column mapping to be 5-16.
Step four point one: Go to keyboard layout editor and setup your mapping http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/83b7eb12b3bccdf4c55d
Step four point two: When you're making your layouts, make each layout separately AND INCLUDE BOTH LEGENDS.
   For example, the "." key requires the "." and ">" in the mapping to work.
   See the help section on enjoyclick for all the symbols to use http://www.enjoyclick.org/tkg/#help
Step five: Paste the layouts for each layer into the corresponding boxes on enjoyclick
Step six: Choose your fn options.
   NOTE: fn covers a wide range of options including LEDs, not just changing layers.
Step seven: See the following for details on the LEDs http://pastebin.com/zSVN4f9j
Step eight: Download your firmware as a .eep file
Step nine: From the following toolkit, https://github.com/kairyu/tkg-toolkit, download the files in the windows tree.
Step ten point one: Run the batch file "setup.bat" from the toolkit.
   This only has to be done the first time you're flashing your board.
Step ten point two: The options tree is as such "12Kimera core>N>1.Default>1.ateml_dfu"
Step eleven: Click the reset button on the golbat PCB (it's on the back).
Step twelve: Run "zadig_2.1.2.exe" and Install the Driver (Not WCID).
   This only has to be done the first time you're flashing the golbat. (And may override drivers for other keyboards)
Step 12.1 :When you go to the "TOOL" folder and open "ZADIG_2.2" make sure your device is in boot mode (by pressing button first).
   Then under "options" click "List all devices" and select "ATm32UDFU" then you will be able to "INSTALL DRIVER"
Step thirteen: Drag and drop the .eep firmware file (Icons on the folder) that you created onto the batch file "reflash.bat"
Step fourteen: ???
Step fifteen: Profit

Hey~ I just wanted to chime in here and say that your guide to the firmware was very very helpful -- I built mine last night (not w/o 1st-timer problems I ran into) and you made it a breeze to flash-- It is super appreciated  :thumb:
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
Here are my notes for if I need to do this again in the future.

Let me know if I missed something.

Instructions can be found on this thread
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78510.0

Step one: Go to http://www.enjoyclick.org/tkg/#. This is the site that will be building the main firmware for the board.
Step two: Choose the Kimera as the keyboard (not the two headed)
Step three: Click the config button and replace the text in the "matrix mapping" box with the following code http://pastebin.com/Bf2uQWHv
Step 3.1: Modify the Row mapping to be 1-4, and Column mapping to be 5-16.
Step four point one: Go to keyboard layout editor and setup your mapping http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/83b7eb12b3bccdf4c55d
Step four point two: When you're making your layouts, make each layout separately AND INCLUDE BOTH LEGENDS.
   For example, the "." key requires the "." and ">" in the mapping to work.
   See the help section on enjoyclick for all the symbols to use http://www.enjoyclick.org/tkg/#help
Step five: Paste the layouts for each layer into the corresponding boxes on enjoyclick
Step six: Choose your fn options.
   NOTE: fn covers a wide range of options including LEDs, not just changing layers.
Step seven: See the following for details on the LEDs http://pastebin.com/zSVN4f9j
Step eight: Download your firmware as a .eep file
Step nine: From the following toolkit, https://github.com/kairyu/tkg-toolkit, download the files in the windows tree.
Step ten point one: Run the batch file "setup.bat" from the toolkit.
   This only has to be done the first time you're flashing your board.
Step ten point two: The options tree is as such "12Kimera core>N>1.Default>1.ateml_dfu"
Step eleven: Click the reset button on the golbat PCB (it's on the back).
Step twelve: Run "zadig_2.1.2.exe" and Install the Driver (Not WCID).
   This only has to be done the first time you're flashing the golbat. (And may override drivers for other keyboards)
Step 12.1 :When you go to the "TOOL" folder and open "ZADIG_2.2" make sure your device is in boot mode (by pressing button first).
   Then under "options" click "List all devices" and select "ATm32UDFU" then you will be able to "INSTALL DRIVER"
Step thirteen: Drag and drop the .eep firmware file (Icons on the folder) that you created onto the batch file "reflash.bat"
Step fourteen: ???
Step fifteen: Profit

Hey~ I just wanted to chime in here and say that your guide to the firmware was very very helpful -- I built mine last night (not w/o 1st-timer problems I ran into) and you made it a breeze to flash-- It is super appreciated  :thumb:

new issue here. I can't seem to add a third layer (I want to add FN3 for LED functions), I need both my FN1 & FN2 for layer changes, but wanted a dedicated FN3 ~ Any idea how to do this on TMK Keymap generator anyone? Thanks in advance!

Offline sinegav

• love keybaords
I think its limited to 3 layers in total  :'(, I would also like to have one more FN layer, would be nice if anyone could confirm this.  :thumb:

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
I think its limited to 3 layers in total  :'(, I would also like to have one more FN layer, would be nice if anyone could confirm this.  :thumb:

Ah yes, meant a 4th layer (FN3) -- cause like your said 0,1, & 2 layers aren't cutting it. I'd even be happy with the FN3 didnt make a new layer and just was there for LED, but its tough giving up that FN2 layer on a 40%

halp us! sum1!  :eek:

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Gah...totally forgot i still have this thing sitting on my to do list... for as hyped as i was for this board, i still haven't even thought about assembling it
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline sithlord

No problem that was to help me remember the process if I needed to do it again. Glad you found it useful :)).

I ended up coming up with this "visual" guide on Google Drive if anyone needs it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PKgcLqUNK5ih4HROSKHDGSnp7DRoiRm6Ttt0aHPeTos/edit?usp=sharing

Offline sinegav

• love keybaords
That's a nice guide :) Why didn't you make this when i first tried this  :p  wasn't that hard to figure out but still nice for people who have never done anything like this before.  :thumb:

Offline lishi

• Luxury Taste Buds
    • Personal Website
Finally got around to taking a non potato pic of my Golbat :D

All the kustom 60s

Offline ccarlitos2

I'm having trouble flashing firmware to my board it appears to have like loaded what was supposed to be on the left side of the board to the right side of the board and nothing to the left. help would be much appreciated. I used the guide that's on the OP twice and came up with the same problem.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline sithlord

I'm having trouble flashing firmware to my board it appears to have like loaded what was supposed to be on the left side of the board to the right side of the board and nothing to the left. help would be much appreciated. I used the guide that's on the OP twice and came up with the same problem.

Did you change the matrix columns?

Page 7 is what it is supposed to look like:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PKgcLqUNK5ih4HROSKHDGSnp7DRoiRm6Ttt0aHPeTos/edit

Offline ccarlitos2

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PKgcLqUNK5ih4HROSKHDGSnp7DRoiRm6Ttt0aHPeTos/edit

No I didn't :( thanks!

HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline sithlord

No I didn't :( thanks!

Be sure to also change the row mapping and column mapping as well.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
Hi guys, I wanted to make a few modifications to my layout. But every time I put any layout into http://tkg.io/# I get this "Error position mismatch"  message. Was it like that the first time I used it and just don't remember, or is something not working right?
146726-0

Offline LOKIA007

Re: [GB] Golbat 40% Keyboard with Kimera Core R1. UPDATED April 21st, please read
« Reply #531 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 14:39:12 »
Hi, guys. I have a bog problem now, I have a Golbat 40% HHKB style keyboard, I tried to reflash my firmware to it, but its failed and now my keyboard just die, I can't even reset to the default layout.
How to save my keyboard? HELP.

Offline sithlord

Re: [GB] Golbat 40% Keyboard with Kimera Core R1. UPDATED April 21st, please read
« Reply #532 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 11:21:49 »
Hi guys, I wanted to make a few modifications to my layout. But every time I put any layout into http://tkg.io/# I get this "Error position mismatch"  message. Was it like that the first time I used it and just don't remember, or is something not working right?
(Attachment Link)

Can you post the matrix for your layout?

Have you also changed the rows and columns on the setup page?

Offline sithlord

« Reply #533 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 11:22:55 »
Hi, guys. I have a bog problem now, I have a Golbat 40% HHKB style keyboard, I tried to reflash my firmware to it, but its failed and now my keyboard just die, I can't even reset to the default layout.

Did you go through the guild I posted a while back?

Did you have any problems while going through the steps?

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #534 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 11:28:44 »
(Attachment Link)

Can you post the matrix for your layout?

Have you also changed the rows and columns on the setup page?

I'll need to set everything up again. But I setup everything like the your guide said to do (and I did the first time)
I've been a bit busy lately; but as soon as I get a chance I'll test it again, and post the matrix if I have the same issue

Thanks

Offline tobsn

Re: [GB] Golbat 40% Keyboard with Kimera Core R1. UPDATED March 8th, please read
« Reply #535 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 19:08:45 »
Is there a reason why the middle is a two piece acrylic instead of one piece? I just noticed

from my recent experience of laser cutting 10mm acrylic... it's because it's easier to cut... bigger acrylic deforms, melts, gets brittle, breaks etc.
thinner sheets cut like butter, thick sheets get ****ed up.

Offline LOKIA007

« Reply #536 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 19:40:53 »

Yes, I followed steps that you posted, maybe my firmware have problem, now I just want to reflash my keyboard to the stock mode, but it's not working, keyboard just like die.

Offline morph2k4

« Reply #537 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 18:57:06 »
I finally built my Golbat last night, but something is foobar'ed.  When I plug it into USB, the Kimera core chip gets very hot (too hot to touch), and I can smell burning plastic.  I was in the process of trying to flash it with tkg toolkit, but the toolkit doesn't recognize the device either.

Any chance I'm not completely f'ed?

Offline sithlord

« Reply #538 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 23:36:44 »

Yes, I followed steps that you posted, maybe my firmware have problem, now I just want to reflash my keyboard to the stock mode, but it's not working, keyboard just like die.

This isn't stock layout, but I've uploaded my eep file to dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvapuamq69zvr13/keymap_8.eep?dl=0

See if that works for you or not.

If it works, that means you'll need to rebuild your firmware.

If not, I don't know what to do... :-\

Offline sithlord

« Reply #539 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 23:38:56 »
I finally built my Golbat last night, but something is foobar'ed.  When I plug it into USB, the Kimera core chip gets very hot (too hot to touch), and I can smell burning plastic.  I was in the process of trying to flash it with tkg toolkit, but the toolkit doesn't recognize the device either.

Any chance I'm not completely f'ed?

Um...burning plastic... :eek:

You might want to contact GL1TCH3D. But I don't know if he's got any replacements for you.

Offline doooostin

« Reply #540 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 17:22:22 »
Hey, I have a question!

I purchased a golbat after market, and need help reflashing the darn thing....

I've followed guides from this thread and I just can't get my layouts to work.

I'm able to flash, but flashing doesn't match the layout??? Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I've configured the matrix and adjusted the col/rows accordingly.
My raw layout data is the exact same from the guide.

Nothing seems to work. After I flash the keys are in the wrong place, and some keys that I didn't include in the layout appear as well (weird).

I used an existing "default" .eep someone else provided here and it works fine...wdf?
Should I use an older version of TKG? (going to try that right now)

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #541 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 23:58:49 »
Did you get it from me?

You said you adjusted the columns and matrix to what precisely? I ask as tbe original guide has incorrect information. A few pages later in the thread there is a correction on what the columns and rows should be.

The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #542 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 01:24:43 »
I'm also having some mental difficulty getting my layout onto the board, always having problems when copypasting the code into fw maker thing...

someone hold my hand please :)

Offline sithlord

« Reply #543 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 22:19:44 »
I'm also having some mental difficulty getting my layout onto the board, always having problems when copypasting the code into fw maker thing...

someone hold my hand please :)

Have you checked out my visual guild here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PKgcLqUNK5ih4HROSKHDGSnp7DRoiRm6Ttt0aHPeTos/edit

If so what page are you having trouble on?

Offline sithlord

« Reply #544 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 22:24:28 »

I've followed guides from this thread and I just can't get my layouts to work.

I'm able to flash, but flashing doesn't match the layout??? Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I've configured the matrix and adjusted the col/rows accordingly.
My raw layout data is the exact same from the guide.

Is this the guild you found:

Does the row mapping (1 to 4) and column mapping (5 to16) look like what is on page 6?

Offline sithlord

« Reply #545 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 14:08:25 »
I started a new thread to help with problems you may be having with programming https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86635.0