Author Topic: Modding a ANSI to become ISO  (Read 2191 times)

Offline JamCrumpet

Modding a ANSI to become ISO
« on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 17:40:44 »
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything similar so I could get a gist for the project. I would really like a ISO-UK HHKB layout keyboard but so far I am not in luck so I am deciding to make my own. My idea is to use a Dremel to cut away at the built in backplate of KBDfans Tofu HHKB keyboard.

This keyboard:
https://kbdfans.com/products/tofu-hhkb-layout-hot-swap-diy-kit?variant=21422801420346

I asked around on reddit and didn't get to many replies. I will be honest I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff and will have to buy my own Dremel to start the project. Do you think this is viable for me and also has anyone done anything else similar?

Thank you all!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Modding a ANSI to become ISO
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 18:06:08 »
The Tofu kit uses a hotswap PCB and if you look at the pic there's a big left shift with no place for the extra ISO \| key, wouldn't be surprised if there's no space for ISO enter either.  Even if there were spaces in the PCB as it's hotswap the switches will not be held in like they would be when soldered so making extra holes in the plate/case is not a good idea (at best they are unlikely to be straight, worst case they will fall out)

One of the main features of the HHKB layout is that backspace is easier to press - making an ISO version would lose this.  What about the HHKB is it that you like?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fpazos

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 01:47:50 »
I wouldn't do it. One of the advantages of hhkb keebs is it layout. If you prefer a ISO you have plenty of options for 60% keyboards.

Also. If you start cutting your plat it won't be as precise and maybe you don't have the proper holes in the pcb
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 March 2020, 01:49:23 by fpazos »

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 02:42:00 »
I wouldn't do it. One of the advantages of hhkb keebs is it layout. If you prefer a ISO you have plenty of options for 60% keyboards.

Also. If you start cutting your plat it won't be as precise and maybe you don't have the proper holes in the pcb

As far as i know iso option are extremely limited or incredibly expensive, i was lucky and got on the doddle60 project but apart from universal plates or custom plates 60% iso does not exist, you could ask Jae if he still have some of the CF plates he made for the doddle60 project though, he made extras

and i think suicidal orange is right and the hs tofu does not support iso, Applet tried to make an universal hs board and ended up with having 90 degrees sockets

edit wrong person cited
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 04:24:46 »
I was just checking what yui said about the lack of ISO 60% plates (he's right :() and found this case which is indeed a universal plate, but it's a cheap way to try out an ISO HHKB-ish layout so may be of interest.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod