Author Topic: Audio Technica AT-LP1240 turntable cartridge needed  (Read 7487 times)

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
Audio Technica AT-LP1240 turntable cartridge needed
« on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 11:48:28 »
I am wondering if anybody has experience with the Audio Technica AT-LP1240 USB turntable.
I was in desparate need of an upgrade so I ordered one due to its good reviews and now I need to get a cartridge for it since it doesn't come with a stock cart. I won't be DJ-ing with it, just playing sweet records on my home system. I just want rich, clear audio and am not interested in scratching...at least not yet  :p
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Audio Technica AT-LP1240 turntable cartridge needed
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 11:56:24 »
I am not familiar with that model, but I have used AT cartridges for a long time and think that they are pretty good for "consumer-grade" gear. My recollection is that they have a whole series of cartridges that start cheap and approximately double in price with each step up, and I have generally bought the priciest one that I could afford at the time.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 14:28:33 »
Thanks, fohat. I'm not very learned when it comes to audio equipment and shopping for a turntable was rather difficult considering the sheer number of choices and price-points out there. After weeks of researching, I just had to bite the bullet and settle for something I thought was a good product. Now I need to do it all over again for a cartridge?!? :confused:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:13:07 »

Now I need to do it all over again for a cartridge?

I would use an AT cartridge since that is the maker of the turntable and it should probably be compatible.
Depends on how much you like researching and/or how lazy you are.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 23:30:25 »
Fohat is right. AT cartridges are about the best bang for the buck available. If you have the standard headshell (headshell has pins that that socket into the arm, has small wire connectors to the cartridge) then any* cartridge will work. If it's P-mount then you will need a compatible cart, but it's probably not p-mount.

I got an AT95E cart for my mother in law's turntable. It's good. The AT100E is *really* good. At that price though I like the Shure M97XE better. All of these carts are outstanding, and there isn't anything better to be had until you start chasing very particular things at stratospheric costs.

Installing the cart is not plug-and-play. Follow the instructions. Feel free to pm me if you run into stuff you're not sure of.

*not really any. Very fancy cartridges will require special headweights and other silliness to work right. But we aren't talking about that kind of kit here.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 08:04:57 »
Fohat is right. AT cartridges are about the best bang for the buck available. If you have the standard headshell (headshell has pins that that socket into the arm, has small wire connectors to the cartridge) then any* cartridge will work. If it's P-mount then you will need a compatible cart, but it's probably not p-mount.

I got an AT95E cart for my mother in law's turntable. It's good. The AT100E is *really* good. At that price though I like the Shure M97XE better. All of these carts are outstanding, and there isn't anything better to be had until you start chasing very particular things at stratospheric costs.

Installing the cart is not plug-and-play. Follow the instructions. Feel free to pm me if you run into stuff you're not sure of.

*not really any. Very fancy cartridges will require special headweights and other silliness to work right. But we aren't talking about that kind of kit here.

+1 Shure M97XE owner here.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline smarmar

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 12:50:46 »
Thanks, guys! I'll probably go with the Shure M97XE since you gave it good reviews and it's within my price range.

Spopepro, I might make good on your offer for install advice, thanks. :thumb: And, yes, my turntable comes with a headshell.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 13:07:39 »
UPDATE
I went with the Shure 97xe and it sounds great. I like the little cleaning brush that hangs down in front of the stylus but, MAN, does it get dirty quickly! I didn't realize how dusty and dirty my records really are until now.
I decided I need to step up my game and give those babies a deep cleaning so as to not ruin my stylus. I found a cleaning fluid formula comprised of distilled water, high-grade isopropyl alcohol, and wetting agent that I'll be mixing up soon. I also found a cheap record vacuum system that has gotten good reviews: http://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 13:49:20 »
For the really dirty ones, a sponge bath with warm soapy water in the kitchen sink is often the best and fastest way to go. You take a chance on damaging about 10% of the labels, but it is far faster and more effective than brushes and wiping. With a bit of practice you will get a technique for rinsing and drying that works for you.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 14:04:24 »

Always been a fan of this method for cleaning records.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 15:32:29 »

Always been a fan of this method for cleaning records.
I've seen this technique. Have you tried it? It looks adequate but very time consuming. I have 300+ records to deep clean!  :eek:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 16:00:04 »
Get a wire dish rack for the sink, and wash them with a soapy fresh sponge in a circular motion. 20-30 seconds per side is plenty. Rinse well with warm water and set them upright in the rack. After about a dozen, the rack will be full and much of the water will have run off.

Gently dry them with a couple of swipes with a clean cotton towel, and set them on edge, in a clean area with good air circulation to finish drying. Start the next batch. Allow them to air dry for at least an hour or 2 to ensure that the labels are completely dry, then put them back into clean sleeves.

If there is mildew, you might spray a little bleach on them a few minutes before the bath, but make sure that it gets rinsed off completely. Weak bleach on a sponge is also a good way to freshen up musty covers, but be sure that everything is completely dry before you stack them up again.

300 records would take pretty much all day with this technique, but you will get a very good result. I have washed hundreds of records this way with great success. The only drawback is that you will occasionally wash the dye out of a label. As I recall, 1970s red/green Atlantic labels and 1950s-60s maroon Columbia labels are weak.