Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 382969 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:10:57 »
yep!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #501 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:55:45 »
...and here we go!

http://www.geekhackers.org/products/jd40-40-keyboard-titanium-switch-plates-with-notches-for-switch-disassembly

the pricing is set as an upgrade for existing smallfry keyboard kit orders. i'll see what the demand is for upgrades and then open it up again for individual plate orders independent of smallfry kits if there is material left.

What's different between this upgraded cutout plate, and the one sold before? Price was a lot higher for the first round.

My question got buried on last page.  :p
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline GSimon

« Reply #502 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:12:28 »
Paid for the upgraded plate, I assume (hoping that) the upgrade does not replace the kit that comes with the SmallFry kit, as I want 2 plates (1 notched, and the original plate that comes with the kit)

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #503 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:16:32 »
Btw, for Teensy, what version do we need please? Remember there are v2 and 3

Offline GSimon

« Reply #504 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:20:51 »
Btw, for Teensy, what version do we need please? Remember there are v2 and 3

v2, I guess v3 could work also? but v2 is the teensy that is being sourced for the project.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #505 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:26:37 »
@Zeal, if I remember correctly, those plates from the first round were sold as standalone units. These "upgraded" plates are just that, meaning that you get the upgraded plate with cutouts for easy switch top opening, but you don't get the standard plate that you originally ordered. The reason they are more expensive is that the upgraded plates must be laser cut with high tolerances, where the standard plates are cut by water jet.

@fatchoi, ONLY the Teensy 2.0 will work with this PCB. Not the ++ 2.0, nor the 3.0, nor the 3.1.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline GSimon

« Reply #506 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:29:31 »
These "upgraded" plates are just that, meaning that you get the upgraded plate with cutouts for easy switch top opening, but you don't get the standard plate that you originally ordered. The reason they are more expensive is that the upgraded plates must be laser cut with high tolerances, where the standard plates are cut by water jet.

Darn, well, not sure if I pay to keep the original plates as well? If so I'd like to be invoiced for that.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #507 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:32:23 »
@Zeal, if I remember correctly, those plates from the first round were sold as standalone units. These "upgraded" plates are just that, meaning that you get the upgraded plate with cutouts for easy switch top opening, but you don't get the standard plate that you originally ordered. The reason they are more expensive is that the upgraded plates must be laser cut with high tolerances, where the standard plates are cut by water jet.
Is that how it's working. Can I change my standalone plate to an upgrade plate. I only need one, and I could always use the extra cash back.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #508 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:36:36 »
Is that how it's working. Can I change my standalone plate to an upgrade plate. I only need one, and I could always use the extra cash back.

Well you wouldn't get the cash back. The upgraded plate would probably cost more than 55$ if it wasn't replacing the standard plate that does come with the kit already.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #509 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:51:43 »
Here's another question.. How much would it cost to get a spare PCB if I dont want to buy one of the soldering kits on the site?
I've been eyeing a Hakko cordless soldering iron (which supposedly works very well for a whole 2 hours).
eeks! butane-powered soldering irons are _not_ appropriate for beginners or precise electronics work. they're for field technicians and plumbers.

o_O its a battery powered soldering iron lol.
http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX-901-Cordless-Soldering-Iron/dp/B00FZPUA28
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #510 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 21:48:22 »
that's even worse :P

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #511 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 21:52:04 »
Here's another question.. How much would it cost to get a spare PCB if I dont want to buy one of the soldering kits on the site?
I've been eyeing a Hakko cordless soldering iron (which supposedly works very well for a whole 2 hours).
eeks! butane-powered soldering irons are _not_ appropriate for beginners or precise electronics work. they're for field technicians and plumbers.

OMG a battery powered soldering iron is a horrible idea.  why do they even exist?  just get an iron from mkawa or something like a hako fx-888d...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #512 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 22:20:37 »
not to sound like a broken record, but the process temp for kester 44 leaded is 350C. anything that can't maintain a constant 350C is not an appropriate soldering iron.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #513 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 22:42:10 »
not to sound like a broken record, but the process temp for kester 44 leaded is 350C. anything that can't maintain a constant 350C is not an appropriate soldering iron.

Ya, I might be running my iron a little bit hot, but I have my hako fx-888d set to 685ºF using the smallest chisel tip I have (.8mm?).  It feels like a nice working temp since I think the smaller tip dissipates heat faster than a bigger tip.  When desoldering, I have to be patient and use a little extra solder to on each joint to get the solder to flow nicely before I solder suck...

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #514 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:17:05 »

OMG a battery powered soldering iron is a horrible idea.  why do they even exist?  just get an iron from mkawa or something like a hako fx-888d...

Thats what I thought at first too. But I found the 4.5 star rating on amazon suspiciously curious. Did some research on it, and its actually a decent iron. Obviously it wont heat up super quick or handle large masses, but for my uses it seems fine.

Although the lack of tips is what's bothering me now... sigh.

Might end up with the Hako FX601. Dropping $100 for a full station just doesnt seem worth it for my purposes. In terms of both cost and space.

Any specific reason why the unregulated Edysn you sell on your site is recommended? At this rate I'll either go with that or Hakko FX601 + extra PCB + soldering accessories. Both ways end up costing me around the same amount.
Home:
Work:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #515 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:31:34 »
the cl1481 uses a handpicked (and thermodynamically calculated) heater that tops out at about 400C and sits at 350C during usage. it is literally hand-built (by Jesus; you can call and talk to him if you want ;)) to work perfectly with 63/37 solder, and kester 44 RA specifically, actually, without the added cost and complexity of a temperature regulator. further, it is extremely high quality, and will basically last you the rest of your life.

i used to highly recommend the 888/d, fwiw, until i learned two things: actual cost of production, and that it was possible for me to kill 2 units in one year from a slightly above average duty cycle.

another point of fact: despite being rated for nearly 2x the wattage and carrying DC over the pencil wire, the heater on the cl1481 is about 2x as large. the heater is the most expensive part of a soldering iron, the most delicate, and most important.

it is also designed for significantly more durability. it uses a clever system wherein it is externally sheathed to increase durability, but uses the hollow internals to make contact with its tips, which further increases structural integrity while heated without sacrificing much thermal efficiency. it's basically a smaller edsyn 951sx, which has been a stalwart of assembly lines for the last 20-30-some odd years for good reason: reliable, indestructible, accurate.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #516 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:33:31 »

Ya, I might be running my iron a little bit hot, but I have my hako fx-888d set to 685ºF using the smallest chisel tip I have (.8mm?).  It feels like a nice working temp since I think the smaller tip dissipates heat faster than a bigger tip.  When desoldering, I have to be patient and use a little extra solder to on each joint to get the solder to flow nicely before I solder suck...
anywhere around 350c on an 888d is good to go. i found in practice that my calibration drifted around 10C a month. a high prec ADC and uC control is great unless the tiny heater changes thermal efficiency every week :|

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #517 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:49:21 »
Jesus this was one hell of a rabbit hole I jumped into..

So at this rate I'll probably grab the $80 solder kit and $55 plate upgrade.

Assorted other parts will cost me what.. another $60 total. lol

I go cry somewhere.

Is there a time/quantity limit for the plate upgrade? i.e. can I cry a little longer or should I just go for it now?
Home:
Work:

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #518 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 00:45:53 »
Plate update ordered :thumb:
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #519 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 00:54:03 »

@fatchoi, ONLY the Teensy 2.0 will work with this PCB. Not the ++ 2.0, nor the 3.0, nor the 3.1.

Thank you.

For plate, I'm still thinking about the notched plate but I don't switch tool......

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #520 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 07:49:24 »
i'm guesstimating the yield of notched plates, but there are currently 16 left after... 18 hours :P

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #521 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 07:51:00 »
i'm guesstimating the yield of notched plates, but there are currently 16 left after... 18 hours :P

I need one, will order after an hour...

Edit: upgraded  :cool:
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 08:45:01 by fatchoi »

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #522 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:41:39 »
Okay so its officially official. I have slaughtered my wallet and I'm now waiting impatiently for the kit :P

Bits ordered so far:
  • Smallfry Kit - Raw Titanium
  • Smallfry Plate Upgrade
  • Basic Soldering Kit
  • MX Clear Switches (50x)

Bits I still need:
  • Teensy
  • Diodes
  • USB connector parts
  • Stabilizers nvm, these are included, woo
  • Assorted Soldering Tools (Panavise, clippers)

Will be living off free yogurt and snacks in the office for a few weeks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:57:26 by PandaSPUR »
Home:
Work:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #523 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:45:08 »
i think i forgot to mention this, but stabs will be included with all kits due to an extremely generous donation from abjr

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #524 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:55:31 »
i think i forgot to mention this, but stabs will be included with all kits due to an extremely generous donation from abjr

Great news. Thanks to abjr

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #525 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:56:40 »

So that includes the plate mounted part, the bar, and the two bits for the key itself right?

Glad I didn't order those too lol. Was some ridiculous price on mechkb .com

EDIT: and thank you abjr :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:58:20 by PandaSPUR »
Home:
Work:

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #526 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:57:39 »

Great news. Thanks to abjr

Thank you, abjr.  :)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #527 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:58:46 »

So that includes the plate mounted part, the bar, and the two bits for the key itself right?

Glad I didn't order those too lol. Was some ridiculous price on mechkb .com

EDIT: and thank you abjr :D
exactement!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #528 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:21:50 »

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #529 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:31:15 »
EDIT: I'm stupid and cannot read.
Home:
Work:

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #530 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:41:15 »
By the way, is there any benefit to getting anodized Grey over raw titanium?

Kinda wish there was a way to get light grey or white lol.
Home:
Work:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #531 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:42:43 »

There is, but it's called paint or powder coat. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #532 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:45:17 »

There is, but it's called paint or powder coat. :)

Tempting.. Wonder where I could take it for powder coating in NYC. lol
Pretty sure if I spray painted it myself it might turn out badly.
Home:
Work:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #533 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:57:46 »
Tammi at rainbowrpb.com is our official powdercoater and would be happy to powdercoat it for you. rainbow is in iowa, but it's not particularly expensive to send back and forth

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #534 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:21:24 »
Tammi at rainbowrpb.com is our official powdercoater and would be happy to powdercoat it for you. rainbow is in iowa, but it's not particularly expensive to send back and forth

I'll give her (him?) a email in a minute and see how much it'll cost..
How much do the two titanium pieces weigh? approximately. so I can get a shipping estimate.

As for all the other stuff, everything is ordered except assorted tools I may need for soldering.

For anyone else interested, this was the best source I could find for Mini USB Type B male connectors with easy to solder tabs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171366701979

Everything else was from china and might have actually taken longer to get here than the kit itself. lol
Home:
Work:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #535 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:36:04 »
about 1lb

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #536 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:00:46 »
Turn away from the thread for one week and this happens... looks like I'm dropping another $55 on this kit, potentially another $80 for the LTS kit... Oy vey. Will the LTS and plate upgrade ship with the Smallfry as well?
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #537 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 14:01:24 »
about 1lb

If I end up doing this, USPS small flatrate box is probably the best way to go then.

This project costs more than my watercooling project =.= insane but exciting. lol
Home:
Work:

Offline V1ral

« Reply #538 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 14:59:50 »
After some hesitation, plate upgrade (and teensy) ordered!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #539 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:07:50 »
teensies are now available here: http://www.geekhackers.org/products/teensy-v2-0-upgrade-for-smallfry-kit

When trying to order it wants to charge shipping is it supposed to?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #540 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:44:27 »
no, the shipping method should say "free shipping". grumble.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #541 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:45:31 »
Turn away from the thread for one week and this happens... looks like I'm dropping another $55 on this kit, potentially another $80 for the LTS kit... Oy vey. Will the LTS and plate upgrade ship with the Smallfry as well?

LTS kits go out immediately so you can start putting stuff together asap :D. the plate upgrade will ship with the smallfry, since it will be anodized in your chosen color.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #542 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:54:31 »
no, the shipping method should say "free shipping". grumble.

Just checked and it shows free shipping now!

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #543 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:57:19 »
Alright then. do you know how many PCBs and upgraded plates are left?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #544 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:16:11 »
i've tentatively stocked 20 notched plates. i don't think i'm going to run more than one more sheet through the laser. the point of releasing more 40% notched plates was to get the 80% and 60% orders through, as they weren't filling a whole sheet. i might be able to yield more than 20 notched plates from a single sheet with the 80 and 60% orders, but i have to talk to my laser and titanium supplier once we reach critical mass on that sheet

Offline GSimon

« Reply #545 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 19:59:37 »
Paid for the upgraded plate, I assume (hoping that) the upgrade does not replace the plate that comes with the SmallFry kit, as I want 2 plates (1 notched, and the original plate that comes with the kit)

These "upgraded" plates are just that, meaning that you get the upgraded plate with cutouts for easy switch top opening, but you don't get the standard plate that you originally ordered. The reason they are more expensive is that the upgraded plates must be laser cut with high tolerances, where the standard plates are cut by water jet.

Darn, well, not sure if I can pay to keep the original plates as well? If so I'd like to be invoiced for that.

Mkawa is there a way to make this happen?

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #546 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 20:37:58 »
Well this is all very exciting. Looks like I'll be ordering the plate, a PCB, and a Teensy, but I'd throw in some Kester solder if I can combine shipping. is that possible?

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #547 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 21:35:52 »
Well ****. i just ordered and forgot to add my order number to the notes. Can I sort that out with you?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #548 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 21:52:50 »
yep, just PM me or use the contact form and give me the two order numbers.

if you do forget this in future (not you ceedog, but more generally), it's not a _huge_ deal, as long as you use the same customer account to make both orders. that said, referencing your order numbers makes it a lot easier on me!!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #549 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 22:00:39 »
Paid for the upgraded plate, I assume (hoping that) the upgrade does not replace the plate that comes with the SmallFry kit, as I want 2 plates (1 notched, and the original plate that comes with the kit)

Darn, well, not sure if I can pay to keep the original plates as well? If so I'd like to be invoiced for that.

Mkawa is there a way to make this happen?
if there are extra plates of either type, i'll sell them first-come-first-served. nesting these plates is going to be a huge undertaking due to the multiple types of cutting, multiple drawings, and the need to fit in a run of 60% and 80% plates. at the moment, it will make my life about a hundred times easier if i'm pairing one top plate, notched or otherwise, with one bottom plate. the issue is that i originally planned my available kits based on the number of sheets i bought and the number of waterjet front and back pairs that could be yielded from each sheet and the number of notched plates that i had lasercut several weeks (?) ago.

the waterjet plates are cut in one pass with two sheets stacked on top of each other, so i originally nested assuming identical cuts on all 6 sheets of stock. i'm already throwing this off a bit by tossing another sheet at my laser with 40%s on it, so I probably will have extra top plates, but i can't guarantee anything, as there are a number of nasty details involved in the waterjet cut, and another project vying for space on the next lasered sheet.

tldr; i'm knee deep in titanium, and trying to keep things as simple as possible. look for extra plates/gaskets/pcbs/etc.etc.etc. _after_ initial fulfillment :)