Author Topic: DIY keyboards -- doing it cheaply  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Gracana

DIY keyboards -- doing it cheaply
« on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:40:02 »
Well, this is probably not an oft-asked question here, but here goes...

What are the options for someone who wants to build a custom keyboard cheaply? Like, waay cheaply? There are a handful of options for high quality components and keycaps, but they tend to be on the high quality and expensive side.

The reason I ask is because I'm working on a project that involves multiple devices, and I'd like to integrate a keyboard into each device. Think 80s microcomputer style devices. I'd love to have cherry keys and double-shot molded keycaps and all that jazz, but it's damn expensive to go that route.

So, what other options do I have? I've scoured the net for kiosk keyboards, industrial keyboards, switches and keycaps etc. At the end of the day I want something that I can mount in my own enclosure, whether it's an off-the-shelf keyboard designed for that purpose, or something I build myself. Membrane or scissor keys would be fine, but squishy sloppy rubber and plastic-capped-rubber keypads are no good, and that knocks out all the industrial and kiosk keyboards I've found.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: DIY keyboards -- doing it cheaply
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:51:55 »
Cherry G84 series, can be removed from housing, takes up very little space, and if you look for a little bit you might get your hands on one with dyesub PBT keys instead of ABS. the demand for them is fairly low since you can't put silly novelty caps on them.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 00:46:39 »
Speaking of the ML series... what about a HHML?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 00:48:57 »
Speaking of the ML series... what about a HHML?
very cool! :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 00:50:07 »
I found it the other day and instantly thought of you sth. :D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 14:12:09 »
While not totally DIY, there will be some modding and such needed... every once in awhile there is a lot of something like old ti99 keyboard module on ebay, which could be ideal for many reasons. You should keep on the look out for such items.

Offline Samwell

• LucidTronix
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 15:58:53 »
There's an open-source DIY Keyboard described in detail at: http://lucidtronix.com/tutorials/44 and available for sale either ready made or as soldering kit: http://lucidtronix.com/products/13.  Arduino code and some example videos are on the site too.