Author Topic: more qwerkywriter updates  (Read 3412 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
more qwerkywriter updates
« on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:30:18 »
Looks like sonicrevolution has been busy with the qwerkywriter

you may remember it from here
or the pictures of keycon 2014

So the last update we had was back in May

(I think this was also the prototype shown off at keycon)

Check it out now!

This was posted earlier today on the qwerkywriter blog. It's looking awesome so far, and I can't wait for those renderings to become real photographs. I really like the metal and the screws. Gorgeous.

Anyway, post here about the design aesthetic, discuss the pre-order price, etc.

Personally, I want it to be wireless (IR and bluetooth), be a 60% with a detachable 75% and 110% sections, have backlight LEDs, Diamond-like-carbon keycaps, come with a real typewriter for backup, make toast, and cost under $100 (shipped). :p

But, failing all that, this is the next best thing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:49:21 by dorkvader »

Offline Coreda

Re: more qwerkywriter updates
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:33:39 »
Can't say I'm a big fan of the logo above the board, but otherwise continuing to look promising  :thumb:

Have there been any impressions from Keycon?
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:36:11 by Coreda »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:48:15 »
Can't say I'm a big fan of the logo above the board, but otherwise continuing to look promising  :thumb:

Have there been any impressions from Keycon?

I little. I got to try it and I really liked it. The old design was based on a normal keyboard: this new one is a departure from it. The keycaps aren't too hard to get used to, especially if you are coming from a flat board (I type on DSA sometimes and am currently on flat-profile-for-the-alphas solarized SA). I didn't get to try out the wireless but I hear it's supposed to be pretty good. (better than the neo zelia 87)

Put it this way: I was impressed enough that I wanted to get one when they come out. There's not too many cherry MX boards that I think are innovative enough to say that about. This was even before I got to meet with sonicrevolution and talk about it.

If I got one I'd put heavier springs in: typewriter is more "mx green" than "MX blue" to me. That and a solenoid. Ooh, that's a good idea.

I am sure the logo placement hasn't been finalized, so that's a good suggestion for sure.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:49:57 by dorkvader »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 21:20:54 »
Cool, thanks for the impressions. Sounds like it's a pretty decent board.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:37:46 »
I like the retro-styling also, I am not sure about functionality. Is there a review on the keycaps somewhere? The vendor is selling them as a set to fit an standard Cherry board.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:43:40 »
I tried it at Keycon. It was a fun novelty. I thought it was supposed to be like a modern typewriter that worked over USB. Closer to something like the HemmingWrite. Especially with that metal bar and knob.

But I guess it's just a typewriter styled keyboard? Not that that's a bad thing, just not what I was expecting. Someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

The keycaps drove me ballistic. I couldn't touch type at all on them...but maybe that's the point. It felt like I was hunting and pecking as I do on typewriters.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:52:17 »
I tried it at Keycon. It was a fun novelty. I thought it was supposed to be like a modern typewriter that worked over USB. Closer to something like the HemmingWrite. Especially with that metal bar and knob.

But I guess it's just a typewriter styled keyboard? Not that that's a bad thing, just not what I was expecting. Someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

The keycaps drove me ballistic. I couldn't touch type at all on them...but maybe that's the point. It felt like I was hunting and pecking as I do on typewriters.

I had the chance to try an old type writer recently and it felt weird to me. I think the keycaps evolved from the button type into current modern shapes for ergonomic reasons as they did for economic and technological ones.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 10:05:14 »
This looks so fun! I'm not sure I could type on it everyday, but it sure would look great sitting on my desk. As someone who has to type a lot, it is beneficial to have objects around that are inspiring. This design would be exactly that.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 10:53:40 »
I had the chance to try an old type writer recently and it felt weird to me. I think the keycaps evolved from the button type into current modern shapes for ergonomic reasons as they did for economic and technological ones.

mechanical typewriters require a huge amount of force and also have a long travel, electromechanical ones (usually) require a lot less force but still have a long travel (making them a lot harder to touch type on). Electric typewriters are basically the same.

So touch typing on typewriters is a lot harder than on keyboards, mainly due (I think) to the longer travel. This has the same travel as a normal KB, so I was able to type on it fine. Your mileage may vary.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 11:17:43 »
Aesthetically, the long black keys break up the styling of the keyboard.  On a typical manual typewriter keys like Shift are slightly oversized in the same styling to help the fingers find them and I wonder if that could be implemented on this machine.  Oversized circular keys would have some stability issues, however, if one did not press the key near the center.

From a switch standpoint, I always thought MX black would be most appropriate to emulate a typewriter.  The feel of a manual typewriter comes from the impact and sound of that hammer hitting the paper after a forceful, linear, downward typing motion.  There are manual, portable typewriters out there that have a more pleasurable, lighter touch, while maintaining a sturdy feel, but those tend to be the most sought after and can get expensive in working condition.

In general, it's difficult to re-create the feel of the typewriter with keyboard switches.  Re-creating the look is an interesting concept and I wish the people behind this the best of luck in making a marketable product.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing