Author Topic: can someone please map MS wireless desktop 700 v2's keys to a mechanical key??  (Read 1414 times)

Offline ionflux

Please guys, I'm burning, I need to replace my trusty Microsoft desktop 700 v2 with something a bit more sophisticated (macro keys, lighting etc) and I have no idea which is closest. I've tried two key types up to now: realforce topres 30gr (terrible) and corsair k95 rgb with blues, which were excellent and satisfying but too hard to type on. (the keyboard itself is very very impressive and I loved it)
The MS 700 has this super smooth buttery feel, but it wears off very quickly, unfortunately... would I find solace in reds? or 45gr topres?
thanks !
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 November 2014, 01:49:01 by ionflux »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Please guys, I'm burning, I need to replace my trusty Microsoft desktop 700 v2 with something a bit more sophisticated (macro keys, lighting etc) and I have no idea which is closest. I've tried two key types up to now: realforce topres 30gr (terrible) and corsair k95 rgb with blues, which were excellent and satisfying but too hard to type on. (the keyboard itself is very very impressive and I loved it)
The MS 700 has this super smooth buttery feel, but it wears off very quickly, unfortunately... would I find solace in reds? or 45gr topres?
thanks !

Well if you liked blues then you might not want to get mx reds or topres, maybe a modded clear switch would be best for you. Alternatively if you are looking for something that is very smooth then mx blacks are probably your best choice!

Offline ionflux

thanks for the reply, it's just that the ms keyboard is really soft to type on, almost no force required, and I've read that the blacks are really hard to type on. I recently bought that small 8-key sampler to try out all the cherry mx switches, but it's not easy to understand if you don't use your whole hand on a keyboard..

Offline tribade

thanks for the reply, it's just that the ms keyboard is really soft to type on, almost no force required, and I've read that the blacks are really hard to type on. I recently bought that small 8-key sampler to try out all the cherry mx switches, but it's not easy to understand if you don't use your whole hand on a keyboard..

Reds sound like the way to go for you then.  I haven't had personal experience with them, but my understanding of them is that they're light and smooth.  It sounds like you're leaning towards lighter switches so browns, reds, and blues are probably the way to go for you as far as MX switches go.  However, I personally wouldn't say that black switches are difficult to type on.  I actually really like heavier switches as well as light switches, even for typing for long periods of time.  Eventually it all comes down to personal preference. 
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
I think Reds may suit you, but you haven't described to us what exactly was "terrible" about the 30g Topres, so we don't know if 45g Topre would suit you or not.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ionflux

well, they felt like they were broken. They were "passive", as in, every time I pushed them I thought they were going to *stay* down !!
I'm testing a g710+ right now, with browns, and they feel a bit fake (as if they weren't mechanical), but they are a bit more comfortable in typing. I *wish* there was someone who could tell me, 'oh yeah, the ms 700 v2 had XX-like keys'  :'( :'(

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Well, if you don't like topre or browns, ergo-clears might be the way to go for the weight and tactility
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
well, they felt like they were broken. They were "passive", as in, every time I pushed them I thought they were going to *stay* down !!
I'm testing a g710+ right now, with browns, and they feel a bit fake (as if they weren't mechanical), but they are a bit more comfortable in typing. I *wish* there was someone who could tell me, 'oh yeah, the ms 700 v2 had XX-like keys'  :'( :'(

Then you may well like 45g Topres, but perhaps only those boards with metal plates like the Leopold FC660C. They have a bit more "pop" than the plastic case mounted ones which can feel a little "dead", at least to me. In terms of MX switches, I'm not sure you'll find one that really matches the MS board. ErgoClears feel awesome, but they're a little harder than Browns and you need to do the spring swap yourself, so may not be an option unless you can solder. They are my favourite switch, type, though. :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ionflux

thanks to all of you guys for your replies, I'm puzzled now :)
I can't/won't solder, so the clears are not a choice  :-[ I'm intrigued by the 45g topres, is there a full-size alternative to the leopold? I don't like tenkeyless at all!! The corsair k95 rgb was the love of my life, key-number and macro capability-wise :D